Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:28 am 

And your thoughts on dissodeath/black, the various bands and scenes etc...

I love Pyrrhon and Ehnahre, I have warmed up intensely to Imperial Triumphant, I was entranced by Portal from the get (not so much these days), I think the French bands are really strong - the Plebeian Grandstand album from last year is really cool and of course there's the legendary Blut Aus Nord. The Seputus album was so good.

Over to you...

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:41 am 

For me it's Deathspell Omega - they (in my opinion) have done more than any other group in exploring, expanding and masterfully composing within that "dissonant" sound. I think their body of work and influence on the entire metal scene speaks for itself.

Also, I don't know much about music theory so I don't know how many instances some of these bands are incorporating true dissonance, but I understand the term's utility in describing a certain sound of modern metal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:45 am 

Ulcerate. Really love the last 4 albums. Same about Deathspell Omega, every single release since Kenose has been great.

The last And nauseam album was mind-blowing.

Gorguts are good too but I only really like Colored Sands and Pleiades Dust.

As you said the last Plebeian grandstand album was huge and I also love Pyrrhon, Seputus and Imperial Triumphant.

I think we already have a lot of stuff recommend in a thread over the recommendation forum but it may be lost under the incessant spam from some users.

Not sure if bands like Svartidaudi, Sinmara, Zhrine, etc. Are fit for this thread but I also love those.

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:46 am 

Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord and Imperial Triumphant are perfect in their style. Dissonant sound is made for black metal for sure.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:48 am 

Deathspell Omega is definitely up there. Also Akhlys.

Both bands make music that is borderline uncomfortable to get through at times because its so frantic/chaotic in addition to being dissonant (particularly Deathspell) but I love it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:57 am 

I don't know, Akhlys sound pretty melodic to me. Like a more atmospheric version of Nightbinger, which are a more bombastic and modern take on Emperor.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:03 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I don't know, Akhlys sound pretty melodic to me. Like a more atmospheric version of Nightbinger, which are a more bombastic and modern take on Emperor.

I got more of the dissonant feel from The Dreaming I album rather than Melinoë, but they definitely have more melodic elements to them than Deathspell, for sure.

Also love Nightbringer.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:17 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Not sure if bands like Svartidaudi, Sinmara, Zhrine, etc. Are fit for this thread but I also love those.

Oh they definitely qualify. A lot of the Icelandic bands seem to know how to perfectly complement dissonance within their overall black metal sound.

Even bands like Primitive Man and Indian would qualify as dissonant even though they are from a sludge background.

ThePoop wrote:
Also, I don't know much about music theory so I don't know how many instances some of these bands are incorporating true dissonance, but I understand the term's utility in describing a certain sound of modern metal.

Understanding it as a large facet in modern metal is the way. From a theory point of view, dissonance has always been incorporated in metal, a lot of standard thrash and death riffs rely on dissonance...the difference being the bands in this thread create a deliberate atmosphere or style around dissonance and don't just employ it as a technique among many.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:19 pm 

Would Impetuous Ritual count as dissonant? If so they're definitely my favourite - even as a side project I prefer them to Portal.

Also enjoy Ulcerate, Svartidaudi and Sinmara, and I like DSO, Portal and Mitochondrian, though the last three took me a while to get into. Malthusian and Abyssal too if they count. I never could get into Gorguts or BAN.

Last edited by Twin_guitar_attack on Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:23 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Would Impetuous Ritual count as dissonant? If so they're definitely my favourite - even as a side project I prefer them to Portal.

Also enjoy Ulcerate, Svartidaudi and Sinmara, I enjoy DSO, Portal and Mitochondrian, though the last three took me a while to get into.

Nice. I like Impetuous Ritual and Mitochondrian too. Is Profound Lore the most established label putting out dissodeath?

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:33 pm 

Altarage never disappoints. Especially their first 2 albums (Nihl and Endinghent) scratch my dissonance itch.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:36 pm 

Impetuous Ritual, Mitochondrian, Abyssal, early Ævangelist, and a few others I'm sure I'm missing are special in that their music is dissonant but their riffs maintain a certain teeth kicking heavy brutality to them. They're among my favorite acts that play this sort of dissonant extreme metal.

Aside from Profound Lore, Mystiskaos/Dissociative Visions have also put out some good dissonant stuff from Skaphe, Guðveiki, and a few others. Plus, Hwwauoch from Prava Kollektiv who I wouldn't be surprised had ties to acts on Dissociative Visions.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:44 pm 

With this stuff I always get the feeling people confuse atonal with dissonant. I don't know, Altarage sound like murky black/death with sludge, not even close to being a dissonant band imho. Not saying they are bad, I love Altarage.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:47 pm 

I haven't listened to them in a while, but I've always had a soft spot for Immolation. They weird dissonance and rhythms they use make their music sound like it's playing backwards, fits the Satanic atmosphere like a glove.

ArcticSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:32 pm 

Abyssal - Denouement specifically but all their records work

Defacement - Self titled is one of my faves from last year

Ad Nauseam - Amazing record in my top five from 2021

Gorguts of course

Replicant

Ulcerate - especially the last two I really enjoy

Sure I'm forgetting some lol

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:42 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
I haven't listened to them in a while, but I've always had a soft spot for Immolation. They weird dissonance and rhythms they use make their music sound like it's playing backwards, fits the Satanic atmosphere like a glove.

Immolation is the complete package.

Gravetemplar wrote:
With this stuff I always get the feeling people confuse atonal with dissonant. I don't know, Altarage sound like murky black/death with sludge, not even close to being a dissonant band imho. Not saying they are bad, I love Altarage.

It's a thin line for sure. Most dissonant bands do have more going for them with rich (dis)harmonic patterns at the core. Demilich, Death, Gorguts are some of whom I'd point at as originators.

What do you make of this Chilean band;
https://grisvelos.bandcamp.com/album/desperatio

Wilytank wrote:
Aside from Profound Lore, Mystiskaos/Dissociative Visions have also put out some good dissonant stuff from Skaphe, Guðveiki, and a few others. Plus, Hwwauoch from Prava Kollektiv who I wouldn't be surprised had ties to acts on Dissociative Visions.

+Avantgarde Music

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:54 pm 

Voivod could also be pointed as originators of this sound.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:57 pm 

DSO is probably the best. I would also invite everyone to give Voidcraeft a listen which is similar.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:37 pm 

Virus, Voivod and DSO are my trinity, closely followed by Blut Aus Nord's more dissonant works and Demilich (and Biolich!)

I'm also a fan of Gorguts's groundbreaking Obscura, Supuration's The Cube and Jute Gyte's mid era works (the microtonal albums are too much for me)

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:28 pm 

My favorites have basically all been mentioned, but I feel like we can't praise Ulcerate, Gorguts and Ad Nauseam enough. Imperrial Triumphant and Vertebra Atlantis are also worth mentioning.

Voivod was mentionned as being influential to the whole dissonant extreme metal umbrella genre, and I also agree with this. Maybe throw in Nocturnus in the "influential" or proto-dissonant extreme metal bands.

I don't know if these count as dissonant as it doesn't play a central role in their music, but hey, just in case, I want to say that Blood Incantation, Timeghoul, Demilich and Chthe'ilist all have some elements of disso death in their sound, and they are all solid.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:43 pm 

I have to mention Our Place Of Worship Is Silence whose recent album is absolutely killer. They've gotten more and more dissonant with each release and last year's album was some sort of culmination.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:33 am 

Like Gravetemplar mentioned, there was a thread about disso bands in the rec central, so anyone searching for that sort of stuff, you might find something of interest there.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but yeah... DsO and Ulcerate, hands down.
When these two bands are on the ball, at their best, it's quite hard for anyone else to come close. I also agree that Gorguts and Immolation had (and continue to have) a major influence in the genre and are fantastic bands on their own, with Immolation being pretty much the perfect death metal band with immaculate discography and Gorguts being pioneers ahead of their time (specially with Obscura) and they just keep getting better and better.

Then there's Portal, Imperial Triumphant, Pyrrhon, Gigan, Svartidaudi, Ad Nauseam, Dodecahedron, Plebeian Grandstand and others that are already (I think) big names in this particular scene.
They all have their unique spin on the dissonant sound, so they don't really sound alike that much (or at all, in some cases).

For less well known acts, I'd argue Artificial Brain, Convulsing, Noctambulist, Carpe Noctem, Karmacipher, Disentomb, Ingurgitating Oblivion, Brood Of Hatred, Devouring Star, and Ceremony of Silence (among many others of course) are all well worth checking out.

If I may, I'll also throw in Veilburner as an oddball; not as heavily dissonant and more on the experimental side, but 5x albums in and they just keep on getting better, do check them out.
Also, Wake's last offering is a masterpiece and an example what a band can do in the modern extreme metal spectrum of things: not as impenetrable when compared to other bands, but you'll still find some dissonance in their amazing blackened death, as well as some grind and even a few proggy and post-rock moments. It's just brilliant.

I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for the debut from Aeviterne; listed as experimental death metal, with members of Flourishing (please check out The Sum of All Fossils if you haven't) and Artificial Brain.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:35 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Oh they definitely qualify. A lot of the Icelandic bands seem to know how to perfectly complement dissonance within their overall black metal sound.

Here's some more quality stuff in that vein:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:36 am 

Oh, and Lvme too. Super underrated band.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:28 am 

I'm generally not that into dissonant bands, but the later Gorguts and Deathspell Omega really hits home.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:07 pm 

Dissonant bands are imo the hardest Metal sub genre for people to get into, especially if it has that cavernous “suffocating” quality to it as well. So a band like Immolation, it always surprised me how popular they are because holy shit almost all their albums are just almost inhuman-like in those aspects. Even Incantation, though less dissonant than the other biggest of the genre are like that.

The only one that ever clicked with me is Gorguts’ Obscura and Voivod if you count them.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:41 am 

Apologises for the blatant necromancy, but I absolutely must second the mention of Defacement:

https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... defacement

They remind me of a more blackened Portal; more digestible and with more memorable riffage in my opinion, but no less murky. I'm in love with both records. Do check 'em out.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:49 pm 

Mico from Colombia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btU9DM_kMRI

Abrasive blend of dissonant black, death, hardcore and mathcore. I can't find many similarities with other bands currently doing this style.

MorbidSaint69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:14 pm 

Voivod of course. They're the forefathers of the sound. Piggy's probably the most underrated guitar player in metal with how original his songwriting was.

Gigan. I think they've only been mentioned once in this thread which should be a crime, super underrated.

Gorguts and Demilich, they must've been the 2 most original bands in metal at one point each.

Of course love me some Ulcerate, StarGazer, Chthe'ilist, Trifixion if you count them. I'm definitely more on the death side of the spectrum, rather than black.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:01 pm 

I am not sure what exactly dissonant music is, but I like Immolation, Incantation, Demilich, Gorguts, Ulcerate, and Deathspell Omega, Portal and Blut Aus Nord are pretty good bands, they are very different from one another. I think maybe the first album of Tomb Mold, Primordial Malignity could be here too, right? I had another band in my mind, one with a black and white cover, with a monster on the album cover, very similar to the one in Primordial Malignity, it was always on YouTube in those days, but I can't remember the name of the band or the album.

Edit: I FOUND IT

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:12 am 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
Gigan. I think they've only been mentioned once in this thread which should be a crime, super underrated.

I'm anxiously, impatiently awaiting the next album. It's been 7 years now. :(

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Reply to topic