* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:23 am 

droneriot wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
I'm not saying that every single person who listens to Dethklok/watches Metalocalypse is an ignorant jackass,

I have yet to see evidence to the contrary.

And that's because, as I said earlier, the majority of people who like Dethklok, are the loudest and annoying ones. Those people that, as soon as you let word out that you like metal, they try and talk to you about Bullet for my Valentine or Bring me the Horizon. And you can spot those fuckers from a mile away. Now take people who maybe, keep to themselves, or you can't tell their music tastes from the clothes, they might like Dethklok they just wont tell you unless the subject somehow comes up. Personally I try and not let my music taste dictate my appearance, I'm not some fringe wearing queer, nor am I some knuckle dragging patched vest wearer. I like metalcore bands like Radius System and even visual kei bands like Malice Mizer. Unfortunately, cases like that are few and far between and you're left with the assumption that all those Dethklok fans are huge bastards. some food for thought there buddies.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:44 am 

So universally condemning all Dethklok fans as ignorant jackasses is wrong for you, but universally condemning all patched vest wearers as knuckle dragging is fine? I'm getting a whiff of the stench of hypocrisy here.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:47 am 

droneriot wrote:
So universally condemning all Dethklok fans as ignorant jackasses is wrong for you, but universally condemning all patched vest wearers as knuckle dragging is fine? I'm getting a whiff of the stench of hypocrisy here.

Haha whoops, you're right that did come out wrong, I was using the extremes I'm sorry. I was pretty much referring to the epitome of the "mallcore kid" and of the "patched vest wearer" I guess. I know those aren't too common either. Having a patched vest is pretty sweet as we all know, it's just not my thing as I said, I like to dress in a way that does not really reveal my musical taste was the intention of that post.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:49 am 

I don't see what's wrong with choosing to influence your style by the music you listen either...(are you ashamed of it?) Anyway, guys, that is not the subject of the thread...

My opinion: Dethklok is terrible entry level metal and it's a shame they headline tours in the US.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:54 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I don't see what's wrong with choosing to influence your style by the music you listen either...(are you ashamed of it?) Anyway, guys, that is not the subject of the thread...

My opinion: Dethklok is terrible entry level metal and it's a shame they headline tours in the US.

I just like to dress fashionable and I don't find the whole band shirt or patched vest thing fashionable but you're right the thread is getting a bit derailed. I see the term "entry level" being thrown around a lot with bands like these and I do kind of agree, there's nothing too spectacular about them. I also don't care for some of the bands they tour with, Mastodon being an exception. I pretty much think of Dethklok as something of a guilty pleasure but I don't really go to lengths to hide it, I just think it's some fun melo-death, and people know I like my fair share of extreme metal along with Dethklok.

Death_Welder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 am 

jesus fucking christ some of you take your online metal personas way too seriously :lol: "OMG 15 year olds found out about my music!!!!!!!!!!! :panda: " It isn't your genre, so why does it matter if scene kids like it, or 15 year old 'posers' like it? That's the problem with metal, the fans are its life-blood, yet they are largely a group of degenerates. Elitist assholes who have 10,000 posts about how much they hate popular music because it's not grim and real enough. I know for a fact some of you are in your teens yet you are disgusted by harmless newbies to metal? Death to Dethklok, it's commercializing metal!!! If you buy it, it's commercial jackass. Even your demo-only death metal band that sold 10 copies. I hope DA III sells 50,000 copies its first week so I can see some of you bitch some more

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 am 

That's a nice looking strawman you have there, does it have a name?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:41 am 

Bill.

Also, if I see a new post like the one of Death_Welder (sadly, he was a victim of one of the famous live shows of Dethklok), this thread is getting locked. Last warning.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

PostMetalActivist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 am 

I like the show. It's funny to me, and I love the obscure band references (Burzums, Carpathian forest high,Finntrolls, etc).
The music is pretty weak, vocals are awful. It makes the show that much funnier though since they are like 7th largest economy in world, and they suck. lol

I find it entertaining and brings some lightheartedness to metal, which it really needs. Some shit is just too serious, and people taking them selves way too seriously.

What do I know though, i'm a retard.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 am 

Never seen the show, or heard the "band".

Bet it's all shite though.

New Vomitor album soon.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am 

To be honest the show was too violent for my taste. I don't usually like stuff that relies so much on blood and guts to get a reaction...I'd rather just re-watch Season 6 of The Simpsons (the best season ever!) for the 150th time than bother with that kind of stuff. As for the music, I'm sure some people find it to be cool and fun to listen to, but personally it's not the kind of stuff I would put in my CD player. I'm fine with my Brutality, Obituary, Bolt Thrower, Asphyx, and Death CD's :lol:.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:38 am 

I've seen some clips of the show, which were amusing, but I never bothered to check out the CDs.

Techno Viper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 pm 

I don't have a problem with Dethklok-the coffee song was pretty funny but other than that the first season was boring and the music the same. I don't judge people on what their entertainment choices are but lots of people do. I wonder if non-metal heads that watch the show believe the stereotype that the show portrays metal heads as misanthropic idiots.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:38 pm 

Nothing against humour in metal or rock in general, but Dethklok doesn't do it well. It's humour-based music for people who thought the "corpse paint in non-metal situations" meme was funny. Actually, I think the "internets/meme as template for humour" thing is kinda bad in all its incarnations (beer/old spice ads, etc) so it's probably no real surprise that a metal band doing it annoys me.

The show itself is one of those annoying cartoons for man-children à la Spongebob Squarepants or The Tick. It can go take a big ol' fucking jump.

Orkblut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:08 am 

I actually really enjoyed the first series of Metalocalypse, the 2nd was ok, 3rd it was a bit "long in the tooth". The albums are always good to chuck on at social gatherings i find. Havent heard the 3rd album yet, only one song and it sounded really cool, better than most of the 2nd album. I am even guilty of having the figure set sitting along the top of my TV! Yet, i'm not a loud mouth, side fringe, coke bottle lensed, lip peirced, hardcore arm swinging fan. I've been into metal for a good 13 years or so, went through a bit of an NSBM phase when i was 16 - 20 or so. Now i'm more for Melodic Death and Atmospheric Black metal.

I think it's quite retarded how people generalise Dethklok fans, or atleast a few of you on here seem to, most people i know here in Australia that are die-hard metal fans, really enjoy Dethklok. It'd be good if people accepted the phrase "each to their own". Express you're opinion, sure. But don't generalise and be a judgemental wanker. You'll end up with the nickname Lars.

Lookin forward to getting the new album.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 am 

There was a couple of catchy songs on the first album, but the second, though, just went in one ear and straight out the other. I'll give his one a chance too.
As for the show, it was an interesting concept but after the first season, I felt like that's all I enjoyed about it... the idea, and not most of the humour or writing. I'm still glad it exists, because it does advertise music that many just wouldn't know about or might have dismissed, and some of these people will actually explore the genre. I know that's something folks here balk at, but everyone starts somewhere, and I'm far more concerned with metal's continued survival than whether or not a few "posers" amass because of a show.

Xpert74
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 am 

I was really excited for Metalocalypse when it was first announced, and I followed the show somewhat closely prior to the series premiere. Upon viewing it however, I was very disappointed with how... bad, the show is. I don't think it's funny at all, and Dethklok's music is incredibly generic, dull melodic death metal (which is a genre I don't even like in the first place). I still gave the show a chance by watching the majority of the first season though. After that I gave up on the show, and I haven't watched it since. I have a lot of friends who like it though; most of whom happen to not like metal in general. It's always felt to me like a show targeted toward non-metal fans, although some metal fans happen to like it too.

I don't really care that much about it, but it is annoying when I see fans of the show claim that Dethklok's music is better than 95% of actual metal music out there (which was a claim I saw a lot of during the show's first year). I also find it sad how Dethklok's albums have outsold virtually every single "real" death metal band's albums ever. If people like it though then they like it.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:17 pm 

i thought some of the songs were catchy, the vocals are just to weak, other than that, its just barely pushing "ok" at best in my opinion. as for the show... watched a couple episodes and maybe giggled once.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm 

Gengar wrote:
I do appreciate how Dethklok is turning non-metalheads into metal fans so I support his work. That being said, the music is very mediocre. But hey, whatever. :)

Too bad people turned into metal such ways usually keep their shit taste.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2