Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 pm 

No ETA yet, I don't think. Alex just said 'coming soon' on his Facebook page.

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:08 pm 

The Circus Maximus!!! August 9

http://www.hrrshop.de/MANILLA-ROAD-The- ... -LTD-CLEAR

Spoiler: show

Nice new artwork. Now I wonder if they're ever going to repress Mark of the Beast...

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:48 pm 

I can't figure out which way the gladiator is facing. If he's got his back towards us, which is what it looks like from the helmet and arm holding the weapon, then the arm holding the shield looks wrong.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:27 am 

This looks like a wink-wink joke a drunk cartoonist made on a napkin after being told the album's title for the very first time, having no other info whatsoever about this project, except that Manilla Road "plays epic metal". It has nothing to do with what's inside and is hilariously false advertisement at this point.

'The Circus Maximus' was a prog/pop-rock project with some glam and hard/heavy influences. It features Mark Shelton. That's the truth. What this retcon cover artwork is telling us instead is "here's the epic power metal album Manilla Road released as an alternative soundtrack to Ridley Scott's Gladiator". That's a lie. An honest re-release of the MR proper catalog would not include Circus Maximus, or it would remove "Manilla Road" from the cover.

More generally, I'm a little concerned about this series of re-releases. Slapping new artwork onto old albums has a revisionist vibe to it, even though it looks like they at least made the booklets so that you can flip them and show the original cover instead. As always, I'm worried some "fully remastered digitally from the old tapes" shenanigans might have occurred, although they're not clearly mentioned on SKR's website. If anyone can confirm, that'd be great.

Out of the Abyss's original cover is awesome. The homage painting for the re-release looks great in and of itself, and I certainly much prefer this approach to brand-new covers in a completely different (and crude) style as was done for Atlantis Rising, but still, there was no need for it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:14 pm 

I ain't a fan of that new Circus Maximus cover. I agree with you Legend, it seems like they are trying to pull a fast one on any newer MR fans that don't know the story behind Circus Maximus, and will buy it thinking its good ol' epic heavy metal Manilla Road.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 pm 

Shelton doesn't have the rights to Mark of the Beast anymore, so it's not on the sleeves of anyone yet.

For Circus Maximus, on the HRR page Shelton says he doesn't want to change the name again because it was already released as an MR album and it would only be confusing. But he specifically states that it doesn't sound like MR at all, so I don't think they're trying to get new MR fans into buying it thinking it's some epic metal stuff.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:14 pm 

So if you were ignorant of Manilla Road, and you happened across that album cover in a store-- would you think it's a glam/prog/heavy metal album? That's what I mean by pulling a fast one. The old cover was quirky as fuck, which went with the music. The new one looks a little too 'badass Roman gladiator' to mesh with the music.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:46 pm 

I figured that thread necromancy was justified, according to Manilla Road's Facebook:

Quote:
30 YEARS OF CRYSTAL LOGIC
We still celebrate the 30th anniversary of the LP "Crystal Logic", the Roadster Records original pressing (the blue Black Dragon LP was released later). Soon on Golden Core/ZYX: The 30th Anniversary deluxe edition with BONUS TRACKS you´ve never heard before, a big booklet with unseen photos/flyers/other memorablia, liner-notes etc.
So who got Crystal Logic back in the days when it was first released on Roadster Records? And who knows on which compilation CD "Necropolis" was some years later? Which is your favorite song of the album?

Not quite sure if this is going to be a vinyl-only or on cd as well, either way, I'm excited to hear what the new tracks are. Hopefully they're of equal or greater quality than Flaming Metal Systems, which is fucking fantastic! What are your guys' thoughts?

Source.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm 

Since Shelton's decision regarding what should be released and what shouldn't have been somewhat opposed to what I would've decided in his place (Throne of Lies sucks, Mark of the Beast is cool), this might be quite nice. I really look forward to hearing it.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 pm 

the only part of throne of lies that sucks is the repetitive stupid main riff. The rest of the song is decent.
but yes im curious what this new material is. I assume its leftover material that sounds like pre crystal logic stuff.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am 

I actually quite like Throne of Lies, repetitive riff and all.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 am 

That whole album is brilliant.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:13 pm 

Latest info from Bryan Patrick on the new Manilla Road album! Another concept album!

From his Facebook page, posted March 6th:

"Open eyes and a opening of the minds when you finally hear the new Manilla Road concept album. Mankind has some issues to deal with if we are to survive!!! More information soon!"

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:24 pm 

According to Neudi's blog, the first mix for the new record is finished. The band are really excited about it of course, and even ex-drummer Rick Fisher is praising the hell out of the material. Too early for a release date yet....
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 pm 

It'll be wicked, I'm sure.

Greg Marshall (of Stygian Shore, and an old friend to MR) had this to say:

"I've heard these guys do some Awesome stuff in the 31 years i've known them but this one is mega EPIC!!! You kicked some ass on this one Bryan. Killer songs, all of them. BUY IT, CRANK IT, DIG IT!!!!!!!"

God damn, I can't wait. This and Hellwell's second are by far my most anticipated releases, lol.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:25 pm 

Can't wait for this one of course! And new Hellwell too!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:09 pm 

Let's see. The dropoff in quality after Voyager was very significant.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 pm 

True enough but Voyager was way above par even for what they accomplished in the 80s. If the new one is as good as Mysterium I'll still be happy.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm 

Well I completely disagree with that, Tomcat....granted Voyager was great, but Mysterium is just as good to me, and I rate Playground almost as highly as Gates of Fire. Of course, Spiral Castle, Voyager and Mysterium are the best things they've done since the 80s generally...

Of course as with most great things in life, there's no real concensus, I find. I mean I know it gets loads of justifiable praise on this board, but apparently a lot of fans do not like Voyager much...

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:04 am 

I love 'em all for different reasons. I was somewhat disappointed by how samey some of the riffs on Mysterium were, but after listening to it for a year now, it's still a wicked album to me.

Here's to the new one! Blow me away, boys.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:13 am 

I really like Voyager but I think it's my least favourite album with Atlantis Rising for some reason. It's obviously a really well made album with a nice progression and atmosphere, but there's something about it which makes it not grab me as much a the other MR albums. While not a mindblowing album, I always quite liked Playground. I really like the sound and approach of it. There's just Grindhouse and Brethren of the Hammer that I think are a bit less good than the other tracks. Into the Maelstrom and Fire of Asshurbanipal are some pretty damn solid MR tracks I'd say. Mysterium took me some time to really dig but it's an excellent album I think. There's a something about the riffs and the sound of the album that I find very appealing. The Fountain and Mysterium and no slouches for sure!

And Gates of Fire is probably my favourite post-reunion MR album after Spiral Castle. Great progression, epic and catchy as fuck.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:06 am 

Mysterium has, I think, great vocals, and some of the fastest stuff they've done in years. Also fantastic moody numbers like the title track and the underrated "Battle of Bonchester Bridge"...plus, "The Fountain" is probably their best acoustic song yet.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Mysterium has, I think, great vocals, and some of the fastest stuff they've done in years. Also fantastic moody numbers like the title track and the underrated "Battle of Bonchester Bridge"...plus, "The Fountain" is probably their best acoustic song yet.

Agreed on all counts. I really dig 'Hallowed Be Thy Grave' and 'Only The Brave', too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7