Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlackGoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:11 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
At any rate, if it were up to me the entire studio used for Out of the Abyss would have been frozen in time with all the equipment and technicians inside, and there you go.

I have no clue who you are but I want to buy you a beer :)

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:24 am 

Right back at you! :beer:

BlackGoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:30 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Right back at you! :beer:

KIT ? :D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:46 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I didn't like the production on Playground (and I did buy it - the songs are pretty good, but the production is way too flat and cardboard sounding), but the Mysterium production sounds fine to me. Nice, heavy, earthy sound. Garagey isn't a word I'd use to describe it at all.

Yeah, the other way around for me. Mysterium sounds like plastic compared to Playground's muddier, more organic sound. Both have an unconventional mix where certain drums play in very high frequencies whereas especially on Playground the singing is muddy and bottom-heavy.

Based on one listening, Mysterium seems like a step down from Playground, but a good album overall. Playground had some boring songs in the middle, but Art of War more than made up for it. Mysterium lacks a sweeping epic like Art of War, but I'd say it's a more consistent album.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 pm 

I'm really not digging the vocals from what I've heard so far. Where's the passion?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm 

I'm hoping Mark has some more riff patterns up his sleeve for the next Hellwell. Mysterium is rather underwhelming so far, on my first listen. I actually rather enjoy the vocals, and the production, and the drums, and of course the solos. My problem with it so far (only on Hallowed Be Thy Grave) is how most of the main riffs seems to be a variation of that 'battlecry' riff Mark has been doing quite a bit lately.

Edit: The Fountain is beautiful.
Edit2: The Calling and Mysterium are effing awesome! I always like MR's synth tracks, and the title track gave me Mark Of The Beast vibes during the first part. Then it all lets loose like Books Of Skelos or something. Finishes beautifully with more Mark Of The Beast vibes.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 pm 

just ordered the vinyl. Waiting for it in the mail as we speak. Can't wait to rotate this thing forever.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 pm 

Still have to order the album, but I listened to "THe Grey God Passes", finally. I thought it was a good song and probably an appropriate way to open the album. The drumming is fine, although it doesn't really sound a lot like Randy to me. Keep in mind that I thought Corey was great and didn't tfeel he had any problem fitting in with manilla Road...vocals, well, they aren't spectacular, but they sound spirited enough. Still think Hellroadie lacks some kind of charisma or special feeling that Shelton had.

But Legend Maker is right about that guitar tone. What were they thinking? I actually loved the sound on Playground of the Damned, but this one, well, it's all scratchy and lacks power and ...I cannot imagine Mark's amp actually sounding like that. I don't really understand it as Shelton said they were getting some help with the production on this so it would sound "better" than the last few...maybe he should have just stuck to doing it himself. I agree that Voyager is probably best sounding of all their recent stuff, although I'm quite a fan of Spiral Castle in all aspects as well.

Still going to order Mysterium this week.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:50 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Still going to order Mysterium this week.

Hopefully you'll be as pleasantly surprised by the album as I was/am. Although I liked the production from the outset. Still, that lead-off track they previewed had me honestly nervous. It sounds much much better within the context of the album though, especially being followed up by the fastest/shortest track.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:59 pm 

Anyone here know if the SKR CD version has lyrics?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:08 pm 

Of course! And an awesome write-up by Shark the Mark himself detailing a trip to Ireland that inspired several of the more personal songs.

Does the other one not? Awful.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Of course! And an awesome write-up by Shark the Mark himself detailing a trip to Ireland that inspired several of the more personal songs.

Good to know! I was just wondering before I buy, as no one has put up any lyrics anywhere on the net yet (as far as I can tell).

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Anyone here know if the SKR CD version has lyrics?

I purchased the album from SKR and I can confirm it has the lyrics to the songs. I'll see about adding them tomorrow if I haven't got tons of other shit to do but no worries if someone else beats me to the punch to add them on the site.

As for how I feel about the album, right now I feel it's a bit of a step-down from Playground of the Damned. Personally I liked the epic doom feel of the album but the more straight forward attempt with Mysterium is making itself feel something is missing. I'm enjoying the album with more and more listens so hopefully it turns to be one of my faves for 2013 in the end.

BlackGoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:41 am 

Jonpo wrote:

It does, we're just too lazy to type them... :P

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 am 

Too many weak mid-paced songs like the Battle of Bronchester Bridge, Hermitage, etc. The faster moments were great and tuning out Shelton's vocals was easier than normal, but the feeling of enjoyment compared to Voyager and Spiral Castle just isn't there. I'd give it a 7/10 at the least but it was an underwhelming album, the faster songs are great though.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 am 

Well, turns out my friend has the album already, and while I wasn't exactly expecting to be let down, to say that I was pleasantly surprised anyway isn't too far off the mark! The album is great sounding after a single, admittedly not entirely focused listen, and the guitar tone is actually much better than my first impression (youtube, crappy headphones, and so on) suggested. Hell, "The Grey God Passes" is actually a pretty great song. As Empyreal says, it's pretty straightforward and direct but has a way of lodging in the brain. "Stand your Ground" definitely reminds me of the faster stuff from Mystification and The deluge. It does seem like with every album since Voyager they're stepping back into their 80s sound somewhat, but that's fine, really...you can't get more epic and dense than Voyager so it makes since to scale things back after that monstrous epic. Once again Manilla Road has delivered a memorable and consistent album of magnificent metal!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:15 pm 

I had a feeling you would find some things to sink your teeth into. I do agree with Empyreal's review in that a few songs sound on the "safe" side. Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if this comes to change over time though, just like I'm going through with Playground now.

This is going to sound more negative than I actually mean it but here goes: I just put on Playground for the first time in a month or so, and it sounds MUCH more vibrant than I remembered. And I'm not talking production (although I love love love the upfrontish bass). I've been digging Mysterium but I think some of it's lack of quirk really opened my eyes to Playground of the Damned's potential. This album is a lot more of a grower than I was giving it credit for in the wake of Hellwell and Mysterium.

Last edit I swear: I fully expect Mysterium to grow on me exponentially but I don't know if has anything that can rival the 1-2 of Abattoir De La Mort and Fire of Asshurbanipal.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 pm 

Ordering this bad boy this Tuesday. Can't wait! If the lyrics aren't up when I get it, I'll throw 'em up.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:08 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I had a feeling you would find some things to sink your teeth into. I do agree with Empyreal's review in that a few songs sound on the "safe" side. Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if this comes to change over time though, just like I'm going through with Playground now.

This is going to sound more negative than I actually mean it but here goes: I just put on Playground for the first time in a month or so, and it sounds MUCH more vibrant than I remembered. And I'm not talking production (although I love love love the upfrontish bass). I've been digging Mysterium but I think some of it's lack of quirk really opened my eyes to Playground of the Damned's potential. This album is a lot more of a grower than I was giving it credit for in the wake of Hellwell and Mysterium.

Last edit I swear: I fully expect Mysterium to grow on me exponentially but I don't know if has anything that can rival the 1-2 of Abattoir De La Mort and Fire of Asshurbanipal.

I'm not sure if it has two songs that can rival those, but "The Battle of Bonchester Bridge" is about as good I'd say. It's sort of a mini-epic in that it's short but has an unorthodox nonrepetitive structure, gradually building up to that massive ending that throws tasty riffs, sweet leads, and harmonized old man vocals at us all at once. I know some people are turned off by the apparent lack of lung power in Shelton's vocals, but really his tired, gravelly, world-weary old man voice is perfect for songs about battles lost, the futility of war, etc, which is exactly what "The Battle of Bonchester Bridge" is all about.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 pm 

He ain't as loud and proud as he used to be, but Shelton still has his signature charm and his voice is still intact. He knows his limits and as such, uses his voice accordingly - I think he sounds great.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 pm 

His vocals on The Fountain are astounding. Reminded me of Venusian Sea 32 Years Later or something lol

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:05 am 

I more or less just thought this album sounded like a Manilla Road album, which is a good thing. The abundance of mid-paced tracks doesn't bother me at all, given that I'm a fairly big doom fan and used to listening to albums with lots of mid-paced and slower songs. And a lot of the riffs sound pretty doomy overall anyway, which is probably most noticeable on Do What Thou Will.

Overall it's another quality entry to the Manilla Road discography.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:04 am 

failsafeman wrote:
I'm not sure if it has two songs that can rival those, but "The Battle of Bonchester Bridge" is about as good I'd say. It's sort of a mini-epic in that it's short but has an unorthodox nonrepetitive structure, gradually building up to that massive ending that throws tasty riffs, sweet leads, and harmonized old man vocals at us all at once. I know some people are turned off by the apparent lack of lung power in Shelton's vocals, but really his tired, gravelly, world-weary old man voice is perfect for songs about battles lost, the futility of war, etc, which is exactly what "The Battle of Bonchester Bridge" is all about.

Bonchester Bridge is definitely one of the early highpoints/standouts for me on the album. I'm sure a big part of that has to do with the fact that it's the first song where you finally get to hear Shark's vocals, but the build-up is another huge factor for sure. I'm sure you know already but I LOVE his "old man voice", it's perfect for these type of warrior-ghost stories. Everytime I spin Mysterium I'm surprised by how short Bonchester Bridge is.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:54 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

I really enjoy the 1-2 of Only The Brave and Hallowed Be Thy Grave. It's gotta be the choruses, I think. Though these two songs certainly aren't very similar to Abattoir and Asshurbanipal.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 am 

Anyone up for an acoustic take on Mystification?!

Mystification Acoustic Live 2013

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Anyone up for an acoustic take on Mystification?!

Mystification Acoustic Live 2013

Yup, thank you. I still prefer the full electric version, of course, but it's a very nice adaptation and performance.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 pm 

Pretty hard to top the mystique of the original version.

On other plains, I'm ordering Mysterium tomorrow \m/ been humming the songs in my mind lately

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Pretty hard to top the mystique of the original version.

Agreed. One of Road's top songs, and the album version is quite perfect.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 pm 

So i heard mysterium properly just 2 days ago on my parents stereo set. The guitar tone sounded a lot better and 80's like than it did over headphones/youtube/whatever i heard originally.
Its i think a pretty good album better than playground definitely but im not sure how it compares to the hellwell album. I think the grey god passes is the weakest song on the album. There is a song later on the album. Which i think is only the brave or hallowed by thy grave which sounds quite similar and i initially thought kinda negatively because it sounded rehashed but i eventually thought it actually did the same kind of song better and that grey god is actually more of the reharsh.
Anyway i think its a step up but not a beast like voyager was.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 pm 

"Grey God" is better than "Hallowed" or "Do What Thou Wilt" for that matter - it's all in the awesome vocal lines.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 pm 

Looks like the new SKR reissue of Spiral Castle can be purchased. Throne Of Lies is included for the first time on CD. And there is the slightly altered album art.

Manilla Road - Spiral Castle SKR CD

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:11 am 

Don't really like the changes to the artwork or the inclusion of Throne of Lies, but I'm tempted to buy it anyway...apparently it's how they intended it to be, track listing wise, so maybe I should give it a chance...

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 am 

Yeah, Mark was pissed when Throne Of Lies was left off the Iron Glory version. I gotta have the definitive version, and I actually quite like Throne of Lies, so this will definitely replace my other copy (also think I'll give the old one to my friend, in an attempt at getting him into Manilla Road lol). I'm gonna be picking this one up in like 2 weeks or something. Just ordered Mysterium yesterday too.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am 

That's tempting... I don't have Spiral Castle on vinyl though, I want to get that first.

Throne of Lies looks odd in the middle of the track list, I can only imagine it ruins the flow. I'm so used to hearing it without that song. Maybe I'll set it up that way in my iTunes and see what happens.

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 pm 

When is HR Records gonna release Out of the Abyss? It's been a while now. Perhaps they're working on new album art like they did with Metal and Atlantis Rising since the original looks awful.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 pm 

Huh? Original art looks awesome! So 80s!

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
That's tempting... I don't have Spiral Castle on vinyl though, I want to get that first.

Throne of Lies looks odd in the middle of the track list, I can only imagine it ruins the flow. I'm so used to hearing it without that song. Maybe I'll set it up that way in my iTunes and see what happens.

The guy from SKR said he was stalling some re-releases until he can recoup the costs spent on remodding the site

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am 

New artwork for the Out Of The Abyss reissue, painted by Alexander von Wieding.

Spoiler: show

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 am 

^ That's pretty goddamn gorgeous. Any ETA for when it'll be released?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 pm 

I don't like how the green appendages look, but other than that it's a good cover. Beats the original!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next