Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 am 

I love how Scott Connor says in the first video that he makes music to help people think maybe death is the "right thing for them".
Hahaha that made me laugh.
I don't know whether to call him an ass for that or not.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 am 

kapala wrote:
I'm not really sure anyone was specifically making fun of him for being depressed, actually. Lets not get carried away.

let there be a part three all ready to change the subject

Filth Pig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:43 pm 

I thought the documentary has been really interesting so far. Unfortunately the range of topics is very limited, most likely due to time constraints. I wish each artist got their own 45 minutes versus the 3 way split.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:58 pm 

Quote:
I see it from their perspective as a company - they paid the guy $50 to come up with a logo probably 20-something years ago when they were operating out of a parent's house or a storage unit or whatever and he did it. What is he supposed to get? 5% of everything they sell for all time because he drew a logo of a grenade? The problem isn't Thunder Trucks. The problem is Jeff Whitehead.

Agreed. It was a business deal. Now if he designed the logo for a friend of his, just as a present or a favor, and didn't take any money in return, then I would say they ripped him off pretty good for not paying him something by now. But they already had an agreement in place. $50 for one logo. Where's your money? I don't know, man. Thunder Trucks doesn't have it. Maybe put that logo in your resume and make some more money yourself using their 20-year long successful business venture instead of hanging around like a bum with your palm outstretched.

Man, what a knob.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:03 pm 

Pretty sure the whole "Where's my money?" thing was a joke. No real need to look more into it.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 pm 

Well, it seems that i need to watch this, and judge it correctly later.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:15 am 

The Orange Man wrote:
Quote:
I see it from their perspective as a company - they paid the guy $50 to come up with a logo probably 20-something years ago when they were operating out of a parent's house or a storage unit or whatever and he did it. What is he supposed to get? 5% of everything they sell for all time because he drew a logo of a grenade? The problem isn't Thunder Trucks. The problem is Jeff Whitehead.

Agreed. It was a business deal. Now if he designed the logo for a friend of his, just as a present or a favor, and didn't take any money in return, then I would say they ripped him off pretty good for not paying him something by now. But they already had an agreement in place. $50 for one logo. Where's your money? I don't know, man. Thunder Trucks doesn't have it. Maybe put that logo in your resume and make some more money yourself using their 20-year long successful business venture instead of hanging around like a bum with your palm outstretched.

Man, what a knob.

:lol: bit harsh....but i do think he wasnt that serious,and he does tats and makes music,better than some guys i know

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm 

VampireofTheNazereth wrote:
I love how Scott Connor says in the first video that he makes music to help people think maybe death is the "right thing for them".
Hahaha that made me laugh.
I don't know whether to call him an ass for that or not.

I can see the humor in that, but I actually thought those were good words. He's saying that he's honest, and he's not making "claims he can't back up."
You compare that to someone like Niklas Kvarforth who goes around telling people they deserve to die, etc. etc...

I felt like Scott Connor was saying, "I'm not going to say suicide is always good, but for some people maybe it is." I completely agree with that.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:47 pm 

There's a new trailer. Man, they're drawing this shit out.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:56 am 

Watched part 1 & 2 of the documentary, and must say Vice/Noisey did an excellent job on this. Awesome cinematography. I hadn't listened to any of those artists in the past, or even had known about Striborg or Xasthur. Heard of Jeff Whitehead and Leviathan, but only in passing.

My take is that Striborg really impressed me, because I think Russell (Aka Sin Nanna) put up the least amount of front and misanthropic foolery for the camera and seemed honestly genuine. Meaning he didn't give a major back story for his living the way he does, he also seemed like the most metal of the 3, if that makes sense. He simply liked discussing the music he makes. He described his early recording process, early band experiences and how they shaped his music and that he and his black metal pseudonym Sin Nanna are separate entities. I could tell that he prides himself in work. I totally respected that. It was clear by how clean and organized his living space was as well, that he has great pride.

This is just my take coming away from OMM, I still think all three artists were genuine, but Wrest definitely tried to convey that SoCal skater bad boy image that I couldn’t relate to, and Malefic was a downer. Looking forward to the next episode for sure.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:39 pm 

The man behind leviathan seems really cool. What an awesome bit of trivia that he was on the cover of nintendo magazine's 'skate or die'. As an old school nintendo fan and a metal fan, that's really cool for me to know. I suppose it's cool that the guy behind xasthur and striborg don't seem like very pretentious people. When I think of black metal, I think of highly theatrical exaggerated personalities. I didn't get the sense of a black metal aura from these people. They all seemed very real and down to earth. Especially the guy from xasthur. That guy seems to have some serious socializing issues.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:40 pm 

The documentary has been really good so far, it's pretty unique compared to the other black metal documentaries that have been made. Malefic seems to have really bad mental problems, the way he is living is definately not healthy and will most likely lead to suicide. The suicide statement by Malefic isn't really that bad if you think about the people who really don't want to be part of this world we're living in. Of course it's not a good thing when someone commits suicide, but if they really just dont want to be part of all this, I'm not judging them. And I've actually lost a friend that way.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:54 pm 

I doubt Malefic will commit suicide any time soon. The footage in this documentary is at least several years old, and most likely recorded before he disbanded Xasthur and subsequently formed a separate black metal project he's currently working on (as well as planning a live aspect).

Malefic doesn't seem like the kind of person to commit suicide, despite his alienation and self imposed isolation.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
it's cool that the guy behind xasthur and striborg don't seem like very pretentious people. When I think of black metal, I think of highly theatrical exaggerated personalities. I didn't get the sense of a black metal aura from these people. They all seemed very real and down to earth.

couldnt agree more.and its a good thing.pretentious people annoy the shit me and there do seem to be alot in black metal

Last edited by Southern Freeze on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:18 am 

juusokult wrote:
The documentary has been really good so far, it's pretty unique compared to the other black metal documentaries that have been made. Malefic seems to have really bad mental problems, the way he is living is definitely not healthy and will most likely lead to suicide. The suicide statement by Malefic isn't really that bad if you think about the people who really don't want to be part of this world we're living in. Of course.

id say terminaly sick people or people with no family and friends at all,but other wise suicides a pretty cowardly way out and hurts too many people around you imo

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 am 

What was baldy doing clapping his hands?

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:52 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
id say terminaly sick people or people with no family and friends at all,but other wise suicides a pretty cowardly way out and hurts too many people around you imo

Suicide is pretty difficult subject, and in my opinion there really isn't right or wrong answer. It is selfish, and definately hurts too many people around you. But on other hand, isn't it selfish from the close people to demand one to live if he/she has lost desire to live and there's really no way out of all that shit. It really depends from many things. I'm not encouraging people to commit suicide, but I can understand if someone wants to do so.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:13 am 

I watched the first part when it came out and I just finished the second part. Well, my thoughts on this documentary are kinda all over the place. On one hand, it was interesting getting to know these guys from the perspective of why they got into the BM/DSBM scene...and on the other, it demystifies the blokes completely. I mean, earlier I'd be somewhat in awe when I'd listen to Xasthur or Leviathan and wonder JUST WHO is behind the music. I'm not implying that music is good or bad, but apart from the pseudonym, nothing else was known about these characters. There was a certain halo effect. And now...poof, it's all gone. They're just normal guys with an affliction of sorts.

Still, a really interesting documentary...props to vice for going out of their way to cover this.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:26 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
What was baldy doing clapping his hands?

If you mean the part I think you mean, he was saying "cut" by imitating a movie clapper board with his hands.

Spoiler: show

InvertedForest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:22 pm 

I didnt like this at all. They should of done it about someone like Venien or Charlie Fell.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:33 pm 

Ok, intersting shit, I want to listen to some more Leviathan and specially Striborg, Sin Nanna seems a smart dude, very down to earth, and thge guy from Leviathan seems like a cool guy, on the other hand, the guy from Xasthur fits his music perfectly well, depressed and cheap. I think he has a problem, but it seems he likes to tell everyone how deppresed he is, and how mankind can´t understand him buaaaaaaaaaaaaa come one, bring some Black Metal over here!!! haha, he should spend some time with Ghaal, even the gay betrayer version, and he´ll get soime idea of how to face the world without being socially accepted!!!
On a serious note, I cant wait the third part
Not hearsay but the will of man

RedAnkh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 pm 

InvertedForest wrote:
I didnt like this at all. They should of done it about someone like Venien or Charlie Fell.

Who?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:58 pm 

Nevermind him, he's a Von troll.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

deathmetalfreak169
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 am 

Malefic was definitely the most interesting of the 3 on there. Definitely how I would envision someone of the genre to be.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 pm 

Jeff was almost understandable, really. His childhood was so strange, who knew he was such a badass skater. Also, I think Jaoquin Phoenix could play him in a movie.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 pm 

shoulda been Ildjarn/Graveland/Arckanum though Ildjarn is dead of course. Hipsters won't touch Graveland though.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 am 

I highly doubt there will ever be a video interview or something of that sort of Ildjarn.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 am 

juusokult wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

Suicide is pretty difficult subject, and in my opinion there really isn't right or wrong answer. It is selfish, and definitely hurts too many people around you. But on other hand, isn't it selfish from the close people to demand one to live if he/she has lost desire to live and there's really no way out of all that shit. It really depends from many things. I'm not encouraging people to commit suicide, but I can understand if someone wants to do so.

I find the meme of suicide being an act of selfishness or cowardice to be idiotic. If you really feel you are not capable of contributing anything of worth or just that you find no aspect of life enjoyable then removing yourself from this experience is a logical and valid option. We've reached a point where there are too many of us. When there is such an overwhelming surplus of something it's value diminishes significantly. By exiting you alleviate burden from the whole. Suicide may be one of the most altruistic acts one can commit in our current climate. It's selfish of others to want to guilt you into continuing your suffering just because they 'know' you or have some close biological relation.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:57 am 

You have better chancer getting an interview with Euronymous than with Ildjarn

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 am 

Quote:
I find the meme of suicide being an act of selfishness or cowardice to be idiotic. If you really feel you are not capable of contributing anything of worth or just that you find no aspect of life enjoyable then removing yourself from this experience is a logical and valid option. We've reached a point where there are too many of us. When there is such an overwhelming surplus of something it's value diminishes significantly. By exiting you alleviate burden from the whole. Suicide may be one of the most altruistic acts one can commit in our current climate. It's selfish of others to want to guilt you into continuing your suffering just because they 'know' you or have some close biological relation.

There is always a way out of being in a suicidal state,it may take years to change your train of thought but you will eventually find joy in life.I was clinically depressed and suicidal for over 7 years,i properly commited to it once but failed.Im glad i failed now, for i see there is things to enjoy in life and ways to escape (listening to DSBM) without hurting or ruining a bunch of other peoples lives, even if it is a shitty world.
i beleive anyone who is sucidal has a very creative and artisic mind and can offer some difference to this stupid world.I think if it is a time when there are too many people and the population needs to be decresed, it is the people who are striving in the world with greed and destroying it who are the ones who should be killing themselves.
though i do see your point....and sorry im not as good with my words

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:06 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Quote:

There is always a way out of being in a suicidal state,it may take years to change your train of thought but you will eventually find joy in life.I was clinically depressed and suicidal for over 7 years,i properly commited to it once but failed.Im glad i failed now, for i see there is things to enjoy in life and ways to escape (listening to DSBM) without hurting or ruining a bunch of other peoples lives, even if it is a shitty world.
i beleive anyone who is sucidal has a very creative and artisic mind and can offer some difference to this stupid world.I think if it is a time when there are too many people and the population needs to be decresed the people who are striving in the world with greed and destroying it are the ones who should be killing themselves.
though i do see your point....and sorry im not as good with my words

No, no. Your optimism is a good thing. I too believe it to be possible for any being to make themselves into something of worth regardless of the hopelessness of the situation they might currently find themselves in. I just don't agree with the stigma surrounding suicide.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:52 am 

Marag wrote:
You have better chancer getting an interview with Euronymous than with Ildjarn

hahaha but one can dream eh

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 pm 

Quote:

The key in that entire paragraph for me is "guilt you into continuing your suffering". You and I would never agree on what that precisely means in regards to severely depressed/mentally ill individuals. Claiming suicide is altruistic and thus justified as a method of voluntary human extinction/reduction requires Randian levels of self delusion on every conceivable level.

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:03 am 

There are so many reasons why someone would condsider suicide. Please do not make generalizations, people. If you haven't been there before, you have no idea what it's like...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 pm 

Part III - Everybody Dies Alone

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 pm 

After watching the third installment, this is probably the best black metal documentary/footage that I've seen (not that I'm an expert). It provides so much psychological insight into the music these people produce and also gives insight to a different black metal "scene" if you want to call it that. It's a refreshing breath of air to watch something associated with black metal that has nothing to do with the Norwegian scene.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
After watching the third installment, this is probably the best black metal documentary/footage that I've seen (not that I'm an expert). It provides so much psychological insight into the music these people produce...''

Certainly, it provides an interesting window into the minds and lives of such prominent musicians within the genre. Well, I'm not sure how well known Striborg is within the genre, I'd never heard of them before the documentary, but regardless, Sin Nanna does create some powerful DBM.

Also, I sympathize with Wrest regarding his partner that committed suicide. I can imagine how tough that must have been for him, and probably still is. It was great to hear some explanation behind Lurker of Chalice, it was really cool that Wrest showed his photo album of pictures and those notes.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:08 pm 

LiberXul wrote:
Well, I'm not sure how well known Striborg is within the genre, I'd never heard of them before the documentary, but regardless, Sin Nanna does create some powerful DBM.

Striborg is fairly well known to black metal fans. Wrest's part was really interesting in this one, the explanation for what motivated him to write that Lurker of Challice album was interesting, but also sad when we learned what happened to her. Sin Nanna's part in this was kind of boring. The shrieking in a cave in corpse paint scene was downright silly. Malefic's part further shows that he has serious mental health issues.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 pm 

Absolutely loved the series! The last part was good where they went deeper, I especially enjoyed the parts about Wrest and Malefic as they are two inspirational musicians for me. Malefic does seem to have serious anxiety and severe depression, especially when he was talking about Telepathic With The Deceased.

I do hope this gets a DVD release, with extended footage hopefully!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:54 pm 

The part with Sin Nanna screaming in a cave was absolutely hilarious.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next