Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:42 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
You know you live under a rock when Malefic has FB and you don't.

most people who use face book are narcissistic, hence why i hate it. Unfortunately it is one of the best ways to get your word out there.
Maybe Malific finds it easier to talk to people on face book rather than face to face.

Profoundemonium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:49 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

most people who use face book are narcissistic, hence why i hate it. Unfortunately it is one of the best ways to get your word out there.
Maybe Malific finds it easier to talk to people on face book rather than face to face.

Well, technically he doesn't use a personal account. He just created a fan page and uses that instead, so no friend requests or having to read anyones status updates. Though he did have this to say: "I don't have any other way but to submit to Facebook. I'm doing this for the music. I have NO other help with this band right now and I don't want it dying before it can really begin."

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:37 pm 

"I'm worried about the people on the east coast with the hurricane! If you're alive, give an update." Doesn't sound like the Scott Conner I've seen on the net for years.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:49 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
most people who use face book are narcissistic, hence why i hate it.

Yeah, most of the, like, one billion people who use Facebook are narcissistic.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:33 pm 

Perhaps Scott is trying to have more communication with other people, in some form. Now that Xasthur has ended, perhaps it is time for a change.. it is good to see either way, it's healthy.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:11 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

most people who use face book are narcissistic, hence why i hate it.

It isn't quite narcissistic; you're not showcasing your divine physique to yourself, you're showcasing it to the rest of the world (though I know what you're trying to say). In any case, it isn't a machine that tempts the weak minded into becoming show-offs... I know plenty of young adults that have few and selected photos online, and that use FB for other highly practical purposes.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:52 pm 

I heard about this documentary a few weeks before part 1 was released. I have watched it a couple of times and really enjoyed it. It was cool to get some insight into the lives of the creators of these projects. I've been a fan of Xasthur and Leviathan for years but have never heard Striborg's music before.

A few posts back LiberXul mentioned Sott's Facebook page for his new all acoustic project named Nocturnal Poisoning. Let me say that I ordered it the day it was released (Oct 31st) and it is amazing. I haven't stopped listening to it since it arrived in the mail. Scott is a really talented musician and this album has a lot of atmosphere to it. There are no samples online so I went into it blind and I'm happy I did.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 pm 

LiberXul wrote:
Just in case some people are unaware, you can contact Scott Conner through his facebook page for his new project. He's under the name Nocturnal Poisoning (ex Xasthur), and he is a chilled, nice guy. He gave me some advice about recording and some equipment. Definitely worth checking out his page and showing some support, he has offered some special editions of the new album, one including tablature for a Xasthur piece, a copy of Portal of Sorrow and a demo of the new album. This ends on the 10th though.

I'll probably check it out on the net before I get a copy though, if I do.

On the subject of the actual documentary, I found the filming and interviewing was very good. A lot of interviewers these days receive way too much flak for just doing their job, but I found that the interviewer for this was a real genuine person. He got a tattoo of a piece of art from Leviathan, which I think says a lot.

And good on Russel for living out a ''bm stereotype''. Living a dream I guess, I take my hat off to him.

I just bought the Nocturnal Poisoning album, along with 'Portal of Sorrow' and the tabs for 'Prison of Mirrors', which will be signed by Scott. He definitely seems like a pretty cool guy. Thanks for letting me know about his Facebook page, LiberXul!

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:46 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I just bought the Nocturnal Poisoning album, along with 'Portal of Sorrow' and the tabs for 'Prison of Mirrors', which will be signed by Scott. He definitely seems like a pretty cool guy. Thanks for letting me know about his Facebook page, LiberXul!

I ordered package deal "D" on Halloween wich has the same items you are getting plus a 2011 demo. I received it about a week ago and I can't stop listening to it. It is an amazing album! One of my Facebook friends posted on my timeline if I could send him a digital copy. I declined. Scott has worked too hard on this for me to just go and give his album away digitally.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:16 pm 

Are there vocals on the new album or is it all instrumental? I ordered one (package A). Let me know how the demo is.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 pm 

Roc wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

I ordered package deal "D" on Halloween wich has the same items you are getting plus a 2011 demo. I received it about a week ago and I can't stop listening to it. It is an amazing album! One of my Facebook friends posted on my timeline if I could send him a digital copy. I declined. Scott has worked too hard on this for me to just go and give his album away digitally.

Yeah, that's exactly what I got, option D. Can't wait to hear it.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
Are there vocals on the new album or is it all instrumental? I ordered one (package A). Let me know how the demo is.

No vocals. It's Scott playing a 6 String & 12 String guitar and tambourine. His friend Ronald plays drums on it.

The demo is 2 songs from the album and a cover song. No drums.

The album is REALLY good. There is a lot of feeling ant atmosphere in the music. It's hard to explain it but to me the album is an experience. I really like it.

Thiestru wrote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I got, option D. Can't wait to hear it.

Awesome! I think if you keep an open mind, you will not be disappointed. I can't stop listening to it.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:43 pm 

Thiestru wrote:

No worries at all Thies, hope you enjoy every minute of those releases. Thanks for showing the support mate, hope you enjoy :)

Aftermath1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm 

If someone could post a scan or transcribe the Prison of Mirrors tab it would be greatly appreciated.

DeathFog
Temporally-Displaced Fossil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:34 pm 

I watched all of the three parts in a row and here are some thoughts.

In my opinion Black Metal was or maybe still is a music which is a projection of the dark side of the artist. Historically bands playing this kind of music consisted of strong and self-confident individuals. The music and the culture around it favoured strong spirit and the ability to stand up for your beliefs. I do acknowledge that sometimes it went too far, but it shows the attitude of people who were part of it. Some burned churches, some killed people, some ended up taking their lives, some just don't give a damn etc. On one hand it is hard to discern truth from the hype, but on the other hand there are certain facts that served as the ground for the hype. What we have in the documentary are several miserable and confused individuals who fail to make their points clear. Wrest looked scared, his eyes were running and he had a whiny voice as if he was complaining. Malefic looked like a dweller of some mental institution. Sin Nana looked like a big child. They do not emit strength, sickness, brutality. On the contrary they reek of weakness, degeneration and melancholy. The worst is that barely any of their music lives up to the hype.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:27 pm 

DeathFog wrote:

In my opinion Black Metal was or maybe still is a music which is a projection of the dark side of the artist.

yes ,and i think these guys have much darker things to express,hence why i feel the darkness in there music more than allot of bands who actually live good lives but desperately want the world to think they are evil and true

DeathFog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
DeathFog wrote:

In my opinion Black Metal was or maybe still is a music which is a projection of the dark side of the artist.

yes ,and i think these guys have much darker things to express,hence why i feel the darkness in there music more than allot of bands who actually live good lives but desperately want the world to think they are evil and true

The problem is that sounds anything but dark in most cases. I do understand that it is subjective term in relation to music, but still I fail to hear it. As I see it their music is a projection of their misery and confusion more than anything else.

deathsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:23 pm 

DeathFog wrote:
They do not emit strength, sickness, brutality. On the contrary they reek of weakness, degeneration and melancholy. The worst is that barely any of their music lives up to the hype.

Strength and sickness probably shouldn't belong to the same side of that comparison.

Anyway, strength is boring. Flaws and weaknesses are what make everything interesting. Music about weakness, degeneration and melancholy is as a rule more interesting than music about strength, courage, and other such positive crap. Perfection is boring. Flaws are interesting. IMO.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:39 pm 

deathsane wrote:
DeathFog wrote:
They do not emit strength, sickness, brutality. On the contrary they reek of weakness, degeneration and melancholy. The worst is that barely any of their music lives up to the hype.

Strength and sickness probably shouldn't belong to the same side of that comparison.

Anyway, strength is boring. Flaws and weaknesses are what make everything interesting. Music about weakness, degeneration and melancholy is as a rule more interesting than music about strength, courage, and other such positive crap. Perfection is boring. Flaws are interesting. IMO.

definitely ,could'nt agree more

DeathFog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:57 pm 

deathsane wrote:
DeathFog wrote:

Was there any mention of positiveness in my post ? It did not imply any. We are going off topic here. Maybe a new thread to discuss this issue should appear ?

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Was there any mention of positiveness in my post ? It did not imply any. We are going off topic here. Maybe a new thread to discuss this issue should appear ?

strength   
noun
the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor.
mental power, force, or vigor.
moral power, firmness, or courage.
power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc.

.......sounds pretty positive to me

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 pm 

Great documentary, really enjoyed this interesting and rather refreshing series on a black metal sub-genre rarely explored. However, with that said, with all due respect to the guy from Striborg, the bit at the end with him doing vocals in a cave with candles was fucking ridiculously funny.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7