Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AnimalNightspirit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 am 

Hey. What elements do you like to hear in power metal bands or prog? Do you like just the vocals, guitars, bass, and drums? Or do you like keyboards in there too? If you like keyboards, what kind?

Einzige
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:02 am 

I like balls in power metal. Tad Morose is a fine example of a band that plays a style of music that is most certainly power metal, but also most certainly ball-worthy. I feel the same about a lot of older USPM bands, like Griffin or Laaz Rockit. This is the essential thing in power metal: not so much how you play, but what you express through your playing.

AnimalNightspirit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:45 am 

Einzige wrote:
I like balls in power metal. Tad Morose is a fine example of a band that plays a style of music that is most certainly power metal, but also most certainly ball-worthy. I feel the same about a lot of older USPM bands, like Griffin or Laaz Rockit. This is the essential thing in power metal: not so much how you play, but what you express through your playing.

You make a valid point. Has to be full of energy, and can't be compensating. Agreed fully.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:04 am 

Einzige wrote:

Accept have the biggest balls of all power metal bands...although some will tell you they are a traditional heavy metal band as opposed to labeling them "power". But let's not kid ourselves, the impact they have had on Power metal is tremendous.

Jag Panzer's first album and "The Fourth Judgement" are such incredible albums. The first is fucking RELENTLESS and truly a definition of "power". Hook laden, very riffy, great soaring vocals and lyrics to take to battle. "The Fourth Judgement" is a bit more dramatic but with nothing overblown. Songs such as "Recompense" and "Future Shock" have easily memorable choruses but don't sound generic at all. The guitar playing throughout is very intricate and gets a bit proggy.

Helstar and Rage combine speed and power and deliver it like fucking experts. I want to listen to a Power metal song and still go wild and you can't go wrong with these two bands. They have thrashy tendencies but still distinctly trad metal influenced. Where Iced Earth play it safe, with Rage it is a full on blast-energetic riffs and screaming solos. Helstar made an incredibly complex album called "Nosferatu" that manages to be surprisingly accessible and LOADS OF FUN to listen to.

And every night
You'll feel my bite
You won't be scarred
So be prepared
To feel the pain
Your life I drain
And then you'll be
Baptized in blood

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:26 am 

Einzige wrote:
Tad Morose is a fine example

Tad Morose is a fine example indeed. The keyboards on the album A Mended Rhyme is just right.

AnimalNightspirit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 am 

Hey all. Going to look farther into Jag Panzer, and Rage. I've heard of Helstar - that's the band that has the former singer of Seven Witches on it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:03 am 

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38277

We have a really active heavy/power/speed thread in the Rec central, it fits this discussion.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.