Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
brchina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm 

I'd say ending of Burden by Opeth.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:01 pm 

My picks aren't WTF because they're funny, but because they're completely pointless and stupid.

The almost 50 second pause of absolutely no sound what so ever in the middle of the Antonius Rex song Devil Letter, starting at about 2:47. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

The Wolfsangel song Lady of Darkness (couldn't find it on youtube) ends in about 7 minutes of nothing but running water sounds. There is not even any more music after it, the album just ends. What's the point?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 pm 

Count Dirt Nap wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Nile's album Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka has a song called Ramses Bringer of War that throws me off because it sounds like World 8's music in Mario 3

Yeah, I liked it better when they used it for Diamond Head's Am I Evil? personally. :P

But the Bonded By Banjo at the end of Exodus's The Atrocity Exhibition was the first thing that came to mind. Also their bizarre covers of Low Rider and Bitch. Also the redundant speech at the beginning of The Last Act of Defiance. You know for an old school thrash band, Exodus is kind of fucked up...

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 pm 

I suppose I must make the obligatory mention of the meow mix tune in that SepticFlesh song.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 pm 

when i saw disharmonic orchestra live and they suddenly started rapping in a old school death/grind song.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 pm 

Hmmm...

- Vesania - Path XII - Inlustra Nigror (from God the Lux). Literally just 26 minutes of silence. When I first heard it, I thought the file I had was damaged. Turns out it was supposed to be like that.
- Rings of Saturn - Embryonic Anomaly - The first time I heard those sweeps, I had no idea what the hell was going on.

jgarci12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:19 pm 

Am I the only one who thought of 1:51 of Celtic Frost-The Usurper?

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:23 pm 

jgarci12 wrote:
Am I the only one who thought of 1:51 of Celtic Frost-The Usurper?

No, cuz that part expressed TMT's unique, "artsier" appeal, and besides, was just plain fucking awesome : D

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:33 pm 

brchina wrote:
I'd say ending of Burden by Opeth.

Already wrote this

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

Necronipple wrote:
Benighted always throws in at least WTF moment in every album. A lot of people might think it's not very metal to throw in random rapping, scratching, and jazzy acoustic whatever interludes, but it's funny and unexpected.

Sex-Addicted (Jazzy acoustic part at 2:52)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8wR3i_1SM

Grind Wit (French rapping at 2:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzMW08xPXc

Drowning (Scratching at 2:22 and 2:43)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve1VXm-1lag

I love Benighted's wtf moments, i think they're awesome.

On Following The Growls off Molested's Blod Draum, there's this very out of place folk segment between the 2mins30secs mark and the 3rd minute. I'd like to know what they were thinking of

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:07 am 

The entire "Illud..." album. That entire thing was a huge WTF.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:21 am 

I've always loved the random Spaghetti Western interlude and banjo solo in ENSIFERUM's Stone Cold Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4QqaoFuso

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:50 am 

Also, whatever the fuck Jon Oliva starts doing 3 minutes into Hall of the Mountain King, however awesome it may be, is pretty weird and unexpected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdGD3Ukb3Q0

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 am 

Strapping Young Lad's song Room 429, I get that it's a cover but their version and the original are just awful songs which really pulls down one of their best albums.

I wonder who in the band likes that song, I've got a feeling it'd be Gene Hoglan.

Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 am 

I know most people don't consider it metal, and I can't decide if I do or not, but I was pretty surprised by the accordions on "The Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues" by Between the Buried and Me.

Also, when I got to "Lei Lei Hei" on Ensiferum's "Iron", I was pretty surprised by the sound of the vocals on the chorus.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:23 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
I wonder who in the band likes that song, I've got a feeling it'd be Gene Hoglan.

It's Devin, he's a massive Cop Shoot Cop fan, and in the liner notes he says they were a big inspiration for City and urges fans to buy their albums.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:06 am 

Count Dirt Nap wrote:
Nile's album Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka has a song called Ramses Bringer of War that throws me off because it sounds like World 8's music in Mario 3

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ni ... ren-Ka/650

Quote:
Orchestral intro of "Ramses Bringer of War" is strongly inspired by "Mars, Bringer of War" from "The Planets" (Op. 32), seven-movement orchestral suite by the English composer Gustav Holst, written between 1914 and 1916.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:56 am 

edit: I didn't realise the dude above me had mentioned Holst.

I'll add the break in Sentenced's "For the Love I Bear"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Gqs#t=153s
Hilarious, but still kinda wtf

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:42 am 

Another of those moments for me would definitely be the entirety of Manowars Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts. If this doesn't give you a wtf moment or 28 of them then nothing will.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:32 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Another of those moments for me would definitely be the entirety of Manowars Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts. If this doesn't give you a wtf moment or 28 of them then nothing will.

Haha - I think this is the first evidence of Joey being drunk on his own status as a z-list celebrity. I could overlook that if it was a good song, but it's not. The rest of the album isn't much better, either. And the wikipedia article on it is hilarious. Actually, most Manowar-related wiki articles are hilarious, because there's an army of immortals working round the clock to keep them full of bias and quotes of praise from absolute nobodies.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:17 am 

Another one which comes to mind is the mind-blowing "...the fuck's going on?" couple of seconds at the start of any newly-reissued Darkthrone or Isengard album where the song is suddenly being casually chatted-over by Fenriz, and then you realise you're accidentally listening to the bonus-commentary disc... which has happened to me more times than I'd like to admit.

Also when I first listened to "I won't Dance" on Into the Pandemonium" by Celtic Frost. Didn't realise the band went a bit weird. Incidentally my favourite album by them so far, carrying on my tradition of loving bands for all the wrong reasons.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:39 am 

Burzum's "War", which utterly baffled me when I first listened to the album. It wasn't even the beginning ("This is war, huh! Wow!", you know the routine) that left me the most dumbfounded, but Varg's sudden coughing right in the middle of the song: "Cries of the -- cough, hack, wheeze -- suffering sound!" Probably the best part about it, though, is that this interruption is translated into "(ha, ha!)" in the booklet.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:51 am 

How about when Varg clearly drops the mic?

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:20 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Also when I first listened to "I won't Dance" on Into the Pandemonium" by Celtic Frost. Didn't realise the band went a bit weird. Incidentally my favourite album by them so far, carrying on my tradition of loving bands for all the wrong reasons.
It took you until I Won't Dance to realize they'd gone weird? Mexican Radio and Mesmerized didn't do that earlier?

Nocturnal Breed has a five second spaghetti western moment on either In Sickness And In Hell or Invasion of the Body Thrashers. That part gets me every time, since it comes from nowhere and disappears for the rest of the song.

I'd also like to nominate Thunderbird from Quiet Riot's Metal Health. It's a solid album from start to finish... except that one song, which is frankly one of the worst slabs of utter tripe I've ever heard. It's supposed to be a tribute to Randy, but if I were him, I'd raise myself from the dead just to kick the band's asses over that song.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm 

GuardAwakening wrote:
A big one (which is pretty much half the song) would be "So Numb, So Dead" by I'm in a Coffin where their vocalist is heard literally crying. You could hear it here » http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaGN2QiDGwI

It's pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard in all of depressive black metal.

You know, I'll have to agree with you. I shut it off at the two minute mark. Christ, there is a perfect example of a trend I hope never catches on.

Anyway, first thing that comes to mind was the first time I heard Purulent Excretor. Wasn't expecting to hear a kazoo in there. Come to find out that's their schtick. You can bathe in their stupidity here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2mPXHkCdA

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 pm 

Quote:
It took you until I Won't Dance to realize they'd gone weird? Mexican Radio and Mesmerized didn't do that earlier?

Well, it reinforced an already blossoming suspicion, to rephrase. Of what I've thus far heard, "Mexican Radio" is one of my all time favourite Celtic Frost songs, I think.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:26 pm 

The first time I heard Emperor w/ Attila's cover of Funeral Fog the evil laughing during the chorus gave me chills. Not sure if WTF is quite the right way to put it, but it made me rewind the track and listen over and over again just the same.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:43 pm 

In Saxon's Crusader, that evil tone spoken word, 'who dares to battle saracens' or something like that. Freaked the fuck out of me during first listen.

Then again, hearing what this album has to offer bar the title track can be rather described by 'WTF' phrase too. (Although some of the rest is still listenable in my book)

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:47 pm 

If you listen to Iron Maiden's "The Edge of Darkness" through headphones, it's probably the most realistic helicopter in all of metal. The number of times I've found myself looking upwards as I've been walking along because that song came up on shuffle.

Von Jugel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm 

Anytime Nasty Ronnie unleashes the surprise falsetto.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:51 pm 

No one mentioned Slayer - Dead Skin Mask yet? The little girl freaked me out a lot the first time I heard the song.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:05 pm 

WARNING: Listen at your own risk

Neurosis - Misgiven

From the reissue of Sovereign

They must have wanted me to gradually turn my stereo's volume down to 0. The high-pitched sounds being given off by this monster is horrendous. I screamed "what the fuck!?" a few times during this piece of... something. Is it shit? Or is it part of some elaborate concept? All I know is: while listening, I initially imagined being on a spaceship and taking off to another world.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:47 pm 

Seconding "Dead Skin Mask"

The part of "Cowboys From Hell" where Phil drops low ("we're taking over this town..") really startled me at first.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:56 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
No one mentioned Slayer - Dead Skin Mask yet? The little girl freaked me out a lot the first time I heard the song.

Oh yes, that part is really creepy the first couple of times you hear it. Used to give me the chills.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
The part of "Cowboys From Hell" where Phil drops low ("we're taking over this town..") really startled me at first.

I've always liked that.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 pm 

The second half of Sabbath's "Symptom of the Universe", anyone? Completely ruins an otherwise awesome song for me.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:10 pm 

novakm wrote:
The second half of Sabbath's "Symptom of the Universe", anyone? Completely ruins an otherwise awesome song for me.

Pfft, the combo of heavy as hell plus the groovy light part is what makes it so awesome. Agree it's a WTF moment the first time you hear it though.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Pfft, the combo of heavy as hell plus the groovy light part is what makes it so awesome. Agree it's a WTF moment the first time you hear it though.

Sepultura made that song a lot better with their cover version...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Sandblasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:01 am 

Cathedral - Utopian Blaster: "Huggy bear, OH YEAAHHHHH!!!"

There's a few other moments in some of their other songs but I can't recall them right now.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:12 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Necronipple wrote:
Benighted always throws in at least WTF moment in every album. A lot of people might think it's not very metal to throw in random rapping, scratching, and jazzy acoustic whatever interludes, but it's funny and unexpected.

Sex-Addicted (Jazzy acoustic part at 2:52)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8wR3i_1SM

Grind Wit (French rapping at 2:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzMW08xPXc

Drowning (Scratching at 2:22 and 2:43)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve1VXm-1lag

I love Benighted's wtf moments, i think they're awesome.

Agreed. Benighted manage to pull off stuff that doesn't belong in death metal and incorporate it perfectly. I actually hope they do more of that in future albums!

Jackoroth wrote:
Strapping Young Lad's song Room 429, I get that it's a cover but their version and the original are just awful songs which really pulls down one of their best albums.

I agree. All of City's other songs are really good but "Room 429" is a blight on the album that I always skip.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next