Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 am 

Dave_o_rama wrote:
It's a hell of a deal to get the CD, Patch, and bonus DVD for $10.00.

Uh, what? How? The CD/DVD itself is $13 on Willowtip.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 am 

ld50 wrote:
Dave_o_rama wrote:
It's a hell of a deal to get the CD, Patch, and bonus DVD for $10.00.

Uh, what? How? The CD/DVD itself is $13 on Willowtip.

Preorder only, not available anymore.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 am 

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to give up on Defeated Sanity. The overall sound here was good (aside from the shitty snare sound) but the music is still totally uninteresting to me. The fast riffs are dull as anything and the slamming parts are laughably weak. The techier parts are cool enough I guess, but its not enough. DS kinda suck is a judgement I'm feeling pretty comfortable wth now.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 am 

Just got it in the mail today, the patch looks awesome and soon I'll watch the DVD. I'll listen to the album later!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 pm 

Got my preorder in the mail yesterday, and listened to the CD on the way to work this morning. Sonically, I'd say this album is their best; it's not quite as claustrophobic as Chapters was, and the guitars are much sharper. Musically, it's another solid Defeated Sanity album. Everything I enjoyed about their previous work is present, and I'd go as far to say that this is pretty much a Defeated Sanity Greatest Hits album, with each aspect of their sound up until this point making an appearance. I definitely need more time with this (and it definitely deserves replays if you enjoy the band's music), and while not completely fucking amazing, it's still a good album from start to finish.

One thing that irks me about this album are the more "darker" moments towards the end of the album. These are obvious nods to Prelude or just early 90s NYDM in general, but I feel Defeated Sanity does these so well, and I really hope the band explores this aspect of their style more in future releases. As I said, I really enjoy this album thus far, but I don't think "another solid Defeated Sanity album" will be acceptable next time around, and delving into the more atmospheric side of their craft ala Infester, Morpheus Descends would be a big breath of fresh air.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 pm 

This album was pretty good. Nothing too different about the writing mainly the production is different. Solid album but it isn't groundbreaking or anything.

Last edited by percepticide on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:27 pm 

Man I hope mine shows up in the mail this week too. I just cannot wait to hear this. Passages Into Deformity is my first major release for 2013.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 pm 

Well I got my copy. Passages Into Deformity is another top notch slab of dark, horrific, pure brutality. It was everything I expected and more. I think Chapters Of Repugnance was still better but that doesn't take anything away from this album. The DVD portion was really good. Its nice to see that Defeated Sanity are a group of metal composers as a pose to just a bunch of dudes making noise like the majority of every other Brutal Death Metal band. There is a lot of depth to the concept behind the lyrics which I really appreciated. Great release all around.

I do agree with Dragunov though. I think Defeated Sanity have made the same album 4 times now with slow progression. I think its time for them to really evolve and take their sound to the next level. I do like what they were doing with the atmospheric interludes. However I would really like to see them take their spastic jazz influences and just crank them up. No ones does it quite like Defeated Sanity do and I think thats what really sets them apart from everyone else. Those off time jazz breaks really add to the darkness surrounding their music. Oh well. Even if they just continue to do more of the same, you cant really complain because Defeated Sanity are damn good at what they do.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm 

I liked it quite a bit. It took a couple of listens, but that is not surprising with Defeated Sanity. I also love the jazz breaks and wish they would do them more.

Grimsby
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:13 am 

Album rules!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3