Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm 

It's not very good for extreme metal I agree, but I think that argument could be made for all romance languages though. Nevertheless I think it works very well in more serene forms of music such as Alcest or low-fi acoustic stuff.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:47 pm 

One of the reasons I can't fathom listening to Alcest is due to the French singing. Same in ADX, which is a totally different type of sound.

I agree that it's a good language for the more "romantic" types of metal, but I actually love some "romantic" metal and the vocals just ruin it for me. I mean, I can't literally enjoy any kind of music with French singing, metal or not. This in turn makes me lose some decent bands from specific scenes that I'd otherwise enjoy.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 am 

Hmm... Are you a racist then? There's no judgment there, it's just the only thing that seems to make sense.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Aetherial
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 am 

Pussyfied hahaa! :-D That made me LOL so hard :lol:

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:35 am 

Basque language suits perfectly well to metal, specially to black metal, is not as hard as russian or german but it has its strenght.

Aiumeen Basoa or Numen arre excellent examples.

Russian, german, norwegian or any slavic language suits also to pagan/black metal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am 

Hircine wrote:
Hmm... Are you a racist then? There's no judgment there, it's just the only thing that seems to make sense.

Wait, what? Racist?! ME??? :scratch:

I said it a few times, I just don't like the phonetics of the language. I don't like the way singers pronounce words in that language. I don't like the way it sounds, if you will. How does that make me a racist of all things?! :nono:

afz902k
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:55 pm 

So fist off SORRY for the thread necromancy. I gather it's still better than opening a new thread for a subject that exists already.

Lately I have been interested in the Welsh language, so I did a little research. I went through the 218 registered Wales bands in MA, and looked at each one of them to see if they had lyrics in Welsh. The summary is thus:

Wenfflam and Y Diawled (mentioned early on this thread) have lyrics mostly or completely in Welsh.
The following bands have some (often just a few) songs in Welsh:
  • Nierty
  • Avagddu
  • Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard
  • Ogoneddus Anifail
  • Hiraeth

Here is a Youtube playlist of Wenfflam and Y Diawled songs (mostly heavy metal and rock). Disclaimer: obviously, I do not own these songs so the playlist can be regarded as a spawn of stinky bootlegged evil only as abhorrent as the original Youtube uploads themselves.

And here is a Google doc with the detailed "reseach" results.

PS: I really enjoyed Avagddu although their lyrics are mostly in English.
PPS: I know there are regions in South America where Welsh is spoken, I did not check for those places.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2