Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:54 pm 

So what's the story with these guys as I don't see them mentioned very often here, their older albums I expected to be quite similar to Manowar especially with that incredibly masculine swords/leather imagery. But unlike Manowar they're barebones heavy metal without the epic moments, and I actually enjoy the simplicity of the music. Why aren't they discussed more as they're quite prolific in terms output since the early eighties, and their vocalist being a renowned bodybuilder should've helped. The Canadians on the site should probably know quite a bit about them, what are your favorite albums?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Why aren't they discussed more ...

Because they're (he's) bad?

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:05 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee6vkFyanSI

This album is all I've heard of the guy. This album is all I ever want to hear of the guy.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:14 pm 

Ribos wrote:

It's awfully close to outsider music.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:18 pm 

Wasn't talking about their newer material, specifically Only the strong, which by all seems to be their only worthwhile effort. I enjoyed it for what it was at least, that song was awful

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:20 pm 

Only the Strong is a bloody Canuck classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzboTtbqomk
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:11 pm 

It's cheezy; Manowar without the songcraft, musicianship or genuine heaviness.

I do think they were important as far as establishing the themes and image of heavy metal, way back when. But...so were Kiss and Alice Cooper; who were little more then heavy rock bands that could only very marginally considered "Heavy metal" in the modern sense (and neither band qualified for this site incidently.)

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:02 pm 

I'm a big fan of the the man! I love Keep The Dogs Away, Unchained, Only The Strong, and the Recruits/Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare soundtracks. All of those are fun as hell. I also have the An-Thor-Logy dvd, which is hilarious.

His "comeback" albums (Tales From The Equinox and onwards) are pretty much wretched, with the exception of Triumphant. I thought that one was ok.

He's still going...although I believe his son now does most of the live show for him.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 pm 

I'm sure most of you all have seen this, but for those who haven't enjoy! It doesn't matter how many times I watch this, I still get a laugh.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:52 pm 

Thor himself also "starred" in the abysmal movie Zombie Nightmare with Tia Carrere and Adam West. MST3K featured it for an episode.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:33 am 

Thor is a good band, and it was/is influential in the Canadian scene. Yes, not all of their albums are good and what sucks the most is that most people are deterred from them because of a dumb little YouTube video. Unchained, Only the Strong, and The Edge of Hell are classic releases that are well worth the listen. Even some of the new albums are worth a mention too. Also, I wouldn't really compare them to Manowar. They really aren't alike save for the front man wearing leather and wielding swords.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:23 am 

I lived in Vancouver and area for several years, and I haven't met many people who take him/his music seriously. Except for himself. He's kind of like Von, in that he tries to make his legacy more... "renowned" than it is. It's obvious it's him behind his Wikipedia article, for example.
The Vancouver Millionaires thing a couple years ago was hilarious.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:30 am 

Haha I like how he actually called his band "Thor & His Ass Boys" at one point in his career.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 am 

Ribos wrote:

This album is all I've heard of the guy. This album is all I ever want to hear of the guy.

Nobody can hate that music video. Nobody.

They got some cool albums actually; you just have to give them the chance after seeing that video is all.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

metalboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:28 pm 

I enjoy his early 80s stuff.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 pm 

Thor and the Ass Boys.

A true hero.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:02 am 

Interesting, I was in a band whose name amounts to "Arsch-Axel and the Ass Boys" in English at one point, completely oblivious of Thor.

Thrashelot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 am 

Thor is one of my favourites. Unchained and Only The Strong have a lot of catchy rocking metal tunes. I was so glad when I got those on cd when they were re-released. Also I think that Keep the Dogs Away has some very nice songs. They're not so metallish, but still very enjoyable.

Military Matters from Keep the Dogs Away

Ragnarok from Recruits, Wild In The Streets

The new stuff varies a lot in style and quality, but there's few good songs on Devastation of Musculation too. The production, especially the midi drums, just don't sound too good.
The album Thor Against the World is a fun album to me. It's rock, it's pop and it's a lot of things. There's some cheesy 80's synths, happy riffing, saxophones and whatnot.

I saw them live when they played few gigs in Finland. The gigs were great. Lot of great songs, Thor himself had lots of energy bending steel, breaking stuff and changing costumes all the time and crowd sang along to the songs.

Of course, it's understandable that Thor is not everyone's cup of tea because of the over the top performances and the uneven catalog of music. If they come back here I will go and see them play.

Reply to topic