Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:13 am 

Anyone have or know of albums where one half of an album is better/worse/different in quality to the other half?

Strapping Young Lad - Alien

The first 4 songs typify what this album is all about - heavy as shit with some killer riffs and, in the case of "Love?", a great chorus line. Track 5 still retains that, although in a different way for me, but the only truly great song after that is "Thalamus", with the rest of the album, while still being good, doesn't capture what the first 4 tracks built up.

Illogicist - The Insight Eye

All of this album is quite good, and Illogicist's best one so far. The first 4 tracks work great in showcasing what they are all about, but it's not until "Soundless Pain", half way through, where they really start to shine, and the last half of the album is superb. The aforementioned "Soundless Pain" and the next one "Core" are both the best on the album, with the following two also being fantastic.

I will probably think of more later.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:53 am 

The absolutely first (and only) thing that comes to mind is Endless Pain by Kreator. Where all uneven songs are sung in mild-harsh vocals while the even ones are more gutural/shriek-like vocals.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:16 am 

Uuuuh... Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus..? :oh shit:

Satyricon - The Age of Nero:
The first half (literally) of the album sounds good to me, but starting with "My skin is cold" and ending with "Den siste", the second half contains about half the intensity of the first four tracks. When I first listened to it, I thought I'd just lost interest half way through, but I've tried to listen to it separately in reversed order, and it doesn't help at all. I think they've put the songs in order from 1st to 8th starting with the one they liked the most and ending with their least favorite one.

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:06 am 

Fear Factory - Transgression
First five tracks are standard Fear Factory style songs. The next five are the softer/experimental songs and covers (although I guess New Promise isn't too different from the first five). To me the album sounds like a re-release of two different EPs on the same disc with a 'new' song thrown on the end. If they'd have been allowed more time to finish all the songs I'm sure it would've had a better flow to it.

Metallica - Death Magnetic
To me, the first four songs are head and shoulders above everything else on the album. Although there are some decent songs in the latter part of the album, they don't match to the quality of the opening batch of songs.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:16 am 

Not strictly metal, but My War by Black Flag is certainly an album of two halves. Side 1 is your standard hardcore punk, whereas side 2 has much more of a metal influence; I'd even go so far as to say proto-sludge.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:04 am 

Virgin Steele's The House of Atreus: Act II. It's a killer record and the first half is absolutely fantastic - the second disk however, is a different story and has far too many interludes. ''Flames of Thy Power'', ''By the Gods'' and the ending track (though it's quite overlong I'd say) are killer songs but the rest just doesn't excite me. Seems like Defeis was running out of ideas when he wrote that stuff.

Conception's In Your Multitude. It's my favourite Conception album but really not that consistent. The first 5 songs aren't great and plain average at the best. The second half literally has highlight after highlight.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:11 am 

For a double album i´ll go with the latest Baroness output...Yellow its almost perfect while Green its...well, it isnt bad for sure but not nearly as good as the previously said.

I think Time is Up by Havok also bears with this cross, the first half (and maybe 3/4 of the album) its so damn good and powerfull but the last couple of songs are weak, repetitive and...well i just dont like ´em :P

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

CrustAsFuckExistence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:18 pm 

Death In June have a few albums like this (in terms of sound, not quality); All Pigs Must Die starts out as Neo-Folk with accordions, but the second half is Noise, Alarm Agents w/ Boyd Rice does something similar, starting out as kind of trippy, strange folky stuff then going into a bunch of drone/ambient material in the second half. Both albums are great throughout in terms of quality though. David Bowie's Low starts out as kind of New Wave/experimental Rock, but the second side is (beautiful) early Ambient music. RE: Black Flag's My War...the first half really isn't standard HC, many of the riffs are far from typical Hardcore riffing. Second side is definitely proto-Sludge though, and the reason that's my favorite Black Flag album.

Atmospheric Black Metal (solo)

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm 

Hyprocisy's latest full-length. It goes: good song, crappy song, good song, crappy song, etc.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:48 pm 

Bloodbound's Nosferatu has four excellent tracks of melodic heavy metal/hard rock starting it off, then a few pretty decent tracks, but the final four tracks are just not that memorable at all, and even steal melodies directly from the first four. Really if they had released the first four songs as an EP it would have been in the 90%+ range easily. But as it is, it's just a solid workmanlike album of melodic metal boosted up only by Breed's superior vocals.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:56 pm 

Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera

Starts REALLY strong with the first 5-6 tracks and then tanks pretty hard until the epic closing track, which is probably the best thing they've done. So, it kind of saves the latter half, but for the most part, the album goes downhill after a strong opening. This was the first album that came to mind for me.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:57 pm 

CrustAsFuckExistence wrote:
Death In June have a few albums like this (in terms of sound, not quality); All Pigs Must Die starts out as Neo-Folk with accordions, but the second half is Noise, Alarm Agents w/ Boyd Rice does something similar, starting out as kind of trippy, strange folky stuff then going into a bunch of drone/ambient material in the second half. Both albums are great throughout in terms of quality though. David Bowie's Low starts out as kind of New Wave/experimental Rock, but the second side is (beautiful) early Ambient music. RE: Black Flag's My War...the first half really isn't standard HC, many of the riffs are far from typical Hardcore riffing. Second side is definitely proto-Sludge though, and the reason that's my favorite Black Flag album.

Yeah you're right about the riffs on the first side of My War (I was somewhat hasty with my submission). I would have mentioned Bowie's Low myself, but you know this is a metal forum and all.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:15 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Fear Factory - Transgression
First five tracks are standard Fear Factory style songs. The next five are the softer/experimental songs and covers (although I guess New Promise isn't too different from the first five). To me the album sounds like a re-release of two different EPs on the same disc with a 'new' song thrown on the end. If they'd have been allowed more time to finish all the songs I'm sure it would've had a better flow to it.

This was another I was going to mention, too, and I agree with you. First 5 songs, while not awesome, are all decent and listenable, while the next 5 are utterly awful before ending on a good song. I hope they don't make another album like it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 pm 

It's not too noticable a difference, but I think that Amon Amarth's Surtur Rising has a better second half. The first half is composed of inferior renditions of their past material, while the second half consists of better and/or more original songs all around.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 pm 

If we're counting albums that go differently every other track (these types have been mentioned in this thread), then Intestine Baalism's 2008 album fits. Tracks 1, 3, 5, and 7 are the more "death metal" tracks. A lot more emphasis on brutality and riffing. Tracks 2, 4, 6, 8, and 9 have more emphasis on melody, particularly with some lead hook. It's like brutal death at one end of the spectrum and melodic death on the other.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:53 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:

Starts REALLY strong with the first 5-6 tracks and then tanks pretty hard until the epic closing track, which is probably the best thing they've done. So, it kind of saves the latter half, but for the most part, the album goes downhill after a strong opening. This was the first album that came to mind for me.

No way, Punishment Divine and The Soulforged are amazing.

And to add to the Fear Factory one i'd say Archetype is the same, up to and including the title track its a decent album but then it turns to pure shit.

Oh and one i might get stick for: Painkiller. Its pure awesome speed metal up until Between The Hammer and the Anvil, then it turns into boring midpaced metal.

Count Dirt Nap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 pm 

CrustAsFuckExistence wrote:
Death Inonune have a few albums like this (in terms of sound, not quality); All Pigs Must Die starts out as Neo-Folk with accordions, but the second half is Noise, Alarm Agents w/ Boyd Rice does something similar, starting out as kind of trippy, strange folky stuff then going into a bunch of drone/ambient material in the second half. Both albums are great throughout in terms of quality though. David Bowie's Low starts out as kind of New Wave/experimental Rock, but the second side is (beautiful) early Ambient music. RE: Black Flag's My War...the first half really isn't standard HC, many of the riffs are far from typical Hardcore riffing. Second side is definitely proto-Sludge though, and the reason that's my favorite Black Flag album.

This is a great example Di6 does that on a few albums and I honestly dislike it. I'd rather them put all of the noise on separate albums because it really doesn't fit and disrupts my listening experience

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:26 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
It's not too noticable a difference, but I think that Amon Amarth's Surtur Rising has a better second half. The first half is composed of inferior renditions of their past material, while the second half consists of better and/or more original songs all around.

I dunno, I thought that album was generally mediocre with only a few flashes of good songs (War of the Gods, Destroyer of the Universe and For Victory Or Death).

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:07 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
MazeofTorment wrote:

No way, Punishment Divine and The Soulforged are amazing.

Still may not change your opinion but the way I see it, the first handful of tracks are so godly that they inevitably couldn't keep it up across the entire album. Those tracks are still good, perhaps even very good, but following the initial burst, I feel like they come up a bit short. Still love the album as a whole but it always loses me a little bit midway through.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm 

Iced Earth-Dark Saga

You have awesome songs such as The Hunter, A Question Of Heaven, and Violate and then you have songs like The Last Laugh and Depths of Hell

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 pm 

Reverend Bizarre's Crush The Insects is kind of weird in this respect.

The whole album is good except for the disconnection in styles, where tracks 1-3 feel like a stoner doom EP strapped to the front of the trad doom LP that is the rest of the 80 minutes album.

MetalEddie666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:50 pm 

Metal church's first album. The first half has amazing songs like beyond the black, metal church, and gods of wrath, and while the second half is good. It no where compares with epicness of the first half.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 am 

I've just thought of another one: Blood Duster's Lyden Na. This is an album of thirds. Disc 1 is death 'n' roll. Disc 2 is Blood Duster's usual Death/Grind. Disc 3 is Drone/Doom.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:29 am 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
Reverend Bizarre's Crush The Insects is kind of weird in this respect.

The whole album is good except for the disconnection in styles, where tracks 1-3 feel like a stoner doom EP strapped to the front of the trad doom LP that is the rest of the 80 minutes album.

There's no Stoner on that album whatsoever. More up tempo songs does not equal stoner. I do agree that those three tracks are different from the majority of RB's output.

Destroyer 666's- Cold Steel is an example of this for me.

The first half is pretty aggressive and no frills black thrash, it's mostly good but not anywhere near my favourite material of theirs.

The second half (from 'the calling') is more melodic, although not in a forced way with a noticeably more epic feel.

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:49 am 

Venom's "At War With Satan"!
The epic opening track is great but I can't say the same for most of those other songs like "Stand Up And Be Counted" and "Cry Wolf.
"Metal Black" started off well too but after "A Good Day To Die" it became recycled and repetitive.

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 am 

W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children is front loaded with all their best, more "epic" feeling material. Particularly Heretic(The Lost Child), Thunderhead and the title track, which are some of my favorite metal songs ever. I enjoy Neutron Bomber, however the rest just feels like rather typical commercial 80's metal. Not bad by any means, just a comedown from the first half of the album.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 am 

Manowars debut? The first half is almost radio friendly hard rock, and the second half - minus that silly bass solo - is much closer to the epic metal sound they became known for.

Also I'll thrown in Venoms At War with Satan. The first track, which is half the album, is one of the greatest tracks Venom wrote. The second half is filled with lame 3 minute efforts that sound like watered down tracks that weren't heavy enough for Black Metal.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
The absolutely first (and only) thing that comes to mind is Endless Pain by Kreator. Where all uneven songs are sung by Ventor while the even ones are more sung by Petrozza.

There you go: mystery solved. :)

@Venom's 'At War With Satan': I strongly disagree, there. "Cry Wolf" is one of Venom's all-time best songs, if you ask me, and "Genocide" is solid. The other tracks not so much, but still, it's not just the title track vs sucky fillers.

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:20 pm 

Most of Godgory's stuff. Their ballads are great, but the rest is pretty standard, boring melodeath.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:12 pm 

Darkthrone's Panzerfaust - aside from the outro thingie tacked at the end, the two halves of the album have the exact same structure (a Transilvanian Hungerish song, a Celtic Frost tribute/ripoff track and a slow, droning, repetitive number). Hell, even the song themselves show remarkable similarities between each other.

The second half of Dimmu Borgir's For All Tid has a remarkably thinner and buzzier guitar tone, both on the original and on the remaster.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:17 pm 

Slayer's World Painted Blood. Just listening to the album you can tell which songs are written by Hanneman and which songs are written by King. The Hanneman ones are pretty good. The King ones are fucking terrible (Americon.........)

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am 

Anathema's 2012 album. First half are the newly written songs, and they are far from as strong as the second half, that concaints older songs. Bad direction they're going.

Reply to topic