Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 pm 

Just saw a facebook status on the official Darkthrone page, I'll paste it.

Quote:
We're looking at a February 25th release date for "The Underground Resistance". Cd and vinyl layout is almost done. If I don't answer your messages, rest assure, I don't have the time for answering anything. Thanks for staying in touch anyway! More pics on the way.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Darkthrone/101075189934422

I'm pretty excited myself, I thoroughly enjoyed their more recent stuff.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:50 pm 

They should have a song titled "Rain, Sleet, and Snow" since Fenriz is a postman and all.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:07 pm 

iAm wrote:
They should have a song titled "Rain, Sleet, and Snow" since Fenriz is a postman and all.

:lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:29 pm 

Fuckin' A, can't wait.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:22 pm 

I just hope it sounds different than the last few, because they all sounded too similar for me. I'm not asking for a Transilvanian Hunger II but just something with a different approach perhaps.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:28 pm 

Quote:
I just hope it sounds different than the last few, because they all sounded too similar for me. I'm not asking for a Transilvanian Hunger II but just something with a different approach perhaps.

Apparently it's going to be "Mostly heavy metal", which is making me imagine something akin to Circle the Wagons but with even less punk. Circle the Wagons was already moving away from punk a bit, compared to the albums before it, I think.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
Just saw a facebook status on the official Darkthrone page, I'll paste it.

Nice! I don't know much about modern Darkthrone but... new Darkthrone is ALWAYS good news cause I respect the band and their attitude!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:45 pm 

Sweet! Considering that the record is done, let's hope they give us a taste of what's to come soon.

And Basquestorm, my thoughts exactly!

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:51 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:

I can understand FOAD and Dark Thrones and Black Flags sounding a bit similar, but I thought Circle the Wagons dropped a big part of the punk elements as well as most black metal ones they had. It was much more heavy metal than these two albums, and The Cult is Alive was a unique beast in their discography I thought.

Anyway, very looking forward to this!

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:55 pm 

Been far too long to wait, but still every Darkthrone release is an event unto itself!

I think as early as FOAD they dropped a lot of the punk elements, although they were still present there. DTABF had even less, thus so did CTW, so this new one will probably only have trace elements

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:39 pm 

I thought I read on their page awhile ago that they were bringing in power metal influences and were going to have 6 long songs, at least one clocking in around 10 minutes.

Either way, I'm pumped.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:59 pm 

I like Darkthrone's previous three albums more than any of their other work so of course this is great news. The power metal sound that was mentioned seems a little odd but there's no doubt in my mind that they'll still pull off an excellent album.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:10 pm 

If we have Fenriz doing high-pitched vocals I'm in.

Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm 

iAm wrote:

He actually only sorts post at a terminal, he isn't a postman.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:04 pm 

I enjoyed the "Music" on Circle the Wagons, but really can't stand their weird cleanish/chanty vocals... I wish they would just stick with Nocturno's old harsh vocal style for the most part.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 pm 

This band doesn't do anything for me any more. Give me Tran. Hunger or BITNS any day over their new shit.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:30 pm 

p0wnn00b wrote:
I thought I read on their page awhile ago that they were bringing in power metal influences and were going to have 6 long songs, at least one clocking in around 10 minutes.

Either way, I'm pumped.

Very nice. I didn't even know that, makes me even more excited for the release.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:28 pm 

Fantastic! I also believe Fenriz said that so far (by the time of the intereiw, early 2012, I believe) "his songs" where speed metal songs with clear vocals, while "Nocturno Culto's songs" were dirtier with harsh vocals. N.C. also said on the commentary of Plaguewielder, that his songs were amongst the most primitive meterial he ever wrote.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 pm 

Ah! I love Fenriz doing clean vocals. I don't why some people find them that goofy. I just think they feel passionate and sound great.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 am 

Cool shit, waiting for it!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

TheBlackMass
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am 

Great. New Darkthrone's always a good thing. I mean, Circle the Wagons is probably my favorite record of theirs. Consider me pumped.

mekhthecat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:29 pm 

I've missed quite a few Darkthrone albums throughout the years, but I actually like the newer stuff. I love the classics, but quite frankly Transylvanian Hunger has been copied too many times for me to care about them trying to do that again, it was about a time and place that's long gone.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 pm 

Probably going to suck. What is bugging me the most is that apparently many people actually enjoy newer Darkthrone.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:14 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Probably going to suck. What is bugging me the most is that apparently many people actually enjoy newer Darkthrone.

Why does it bug you what other people like and enjoy? And to the extent that it "bugs you the most"; more than the fact that a band you apparently like the earlier output from, release an album you won't like?

Personally I'm super chuffed about this. I love all the different Darkthrone "eras", and can't wait to hear what they have up their sleeves this time. :headbang:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm 

Exciting. I'm definitely going to pounce on this. I read that Fenriz had written one long song...thirteen minutes or something...and that he's using an abundance of Celtic Frost-ish riffs again. Well, let's wait and see. It'll probably sound a little different than the last few as they had this mixed and mastered by a guy in the uS.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 pm 

Stupidly excited for this release. Darkthrone have been on such a tear with their last few albums, I expect this one to be fantastic.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 pm 

Fenriz:
HAHA if just song length would be indicator of style…well, I can actually see how that is possible. Well, my 14 minute long song LEAVE NO CROSS UNTURNED actually has my quintessential typical heavy slower Celtic Frost parts in it (a lot of those in “kathaarian life code”, opening track of a blaze in the northern sky”) but apart from that the rest of the song is in my usual 1984/5 style, Agent Steel-like. We are more metal again on this record, but as the album starts with Ted’s song DEAD EARLY which has most metal-punk vibe to it, most people will maybe say we didn’t change from out previous albums. Whatever, all our 4-5-6 previous albums had lots of different metal on them, more and more freestyle. As usual we follow our hearts and we never seem to have any plan at all about direction or style. This time we mastered at Jack (World Burns To Death/Severed Head Of State)’s studio ENORMOUS DOOR in Texas (no we didn’t travel there, I don’t travel) to get the trusty organic punch that he always delivers.

Source: http://www.nocturnalcult.com/Fenrizdark ... 12int.html

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm 

Fuck yes! This sounds ridiculously good all in all. I love their previous few albums (as well as the classics of course). What can I say, like the others put it: new Darkthrone is always good. Will be getting this.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm 

Like so many others I'm hoping it'll be a bit more black than the previous release(s). I enjoy The Cult is Alive immensely, and I give FOAD a spin once in a while, but Dark Thrones and Black Flags and especially Circle the Wagons really aren't my cup of tea. Too little black, too much punky heavy metaly stuff going on to my liking.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm 

Sounds awesome!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I enjoyed the "Music" on Circle the Wagons, but really can't stand their weird cleanish/chanty vocals... I wish they would just stick with Nocturno's old harsh vocal style for the most part.

I love those clean vocals... how can you not love the amazing chorus from Circle the Wagons or the one from Those Treasures Will Never Befall You? I can't help but to sing along everytime I hear them. I always liked new Darkthrone more then old Darkthrone, so color me excited for this.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:33 pm 

ugh.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Delduwath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm 

I'm fucking psyched for this. Definitely ready for some new material, and Fenriz alluding to "Kathaarian Life Code" sounds really promising.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

I love those clean vocals... how can you not love the amazing chorus from Circle the Wagons or the one from Those Treasures Will Never Befall You? I can't help but to sing along everytime I hear them. I always liked new Darkthrone more then old Darkthrone, so color me excited for this.

Just the mention of Those Treasures Will Never Befall You makes me want to listen to that song, love it.

As for the Fenriz quote, I am now anticipating the hell out of this album with the mention of riffs like on Kathaarian Life Code. A Blaze in the Northern Sky is my favorite record of their's, so anything even remotely like it is insanely welcome.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:55 pm 

I think A Blaze is their unquestionable masterpiece, but Dark Thrones and Black Flags is an album I rate extremely highly in their discography. I really like the direction they appear to be taking, but there are basically only two Darkthrone albums I never listen to and even those are just a little boring, and I don't think they'll be returning to the Plaguewielder sound ...any time at all really.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:33 am 

Excited about this, I like their new albums as well as their old ones!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 pm 

Tranquillian wrote:
iAm wrote:

He actually only sorts post at a terminal, he isn't a postman.

I hadnt heard that, only that he's a postman.

Have song titles or album art been posted yet?

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:37 pm 

conquer__all wrote:
This band doesn't do anything for me any more. Give me Tran. Hunger or BITNS any day over their new shit.

I agree, everything after Panzerfaust is mid-life crisis horseshit.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 pm 

Veracs wrote:
conquer__all wrote:

I agree, everything after Panzerfaust is mid-life crisis horseshit.

Partly agree with these sentiments.

While I certainly find merit in and enjoy the later works, I'll take Transilvainian Hunger any day of any week of any month of any year.

Blaze, Funeral Moon, Transilvainian Hunger, Panzerfaust, and the absurdly underrated Hate Them I would say are the only need to own Darkthrone albums. The last four albums are decent to very good at best, but don't hold a candle to the above mentioned five (although, I would hardly call them "mid-life crisis horseshit" personally). The other five albums not mentioned are largely disposable (and yes, that includes the much ballyhooed Soulside Journey).

Now, having said all that, I will most certainly purchase and enjoy this new album.
Obliteration

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:08 pm 

Hate THem was indeed a return to the form after the relatively dull Plaguewielder and the too little, too late Ravishing Grimness, Sardonic Wrath is essentially hate THem's more vicious, caustic brother, and a much better album. I don't see how you could like one and not the other though, and figure you claim one as essential while the other relatively disposable because of sentiments connected with with non-musical factors. There's nothing wrong with that by the way. I just think it's funny how crazy people get when it comes to opinions about this band. I mean, they're one of my favourite bands and all, but theyr'e pretty much the most consistent, solid and dependable outfit around; they only ever change the formula a little tiny bit at a time and they always seemed like the kind of band you either generally like a lot or are completely dismissive about. Apparently not though; I still run into people who think Soulside Journey is their only good album, or even some who only listen to the latterday "fun" stuff. So weird.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next