Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:48 pm 

I like how in the middle it goes from Slaytallica with power metal vocals to total Celtic Frost worship.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:21 pm 

That was awesome. You can hear the Agent Steel influence as they had mentioned. Color me impressed.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
That was awesome. You can hear the Agent Steel influence as they had mentioned.

:ugh: :ugh:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 pm 

Not an Agent Steel fan?

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 pm 

Skeptic's Apocalypse is one of my favorite metal albums, but I hear zero Agent Steel influence in that song. Sure it has nods to old school heavy metal in that clusterfuck of amateurism that it is, but there is no riffs or transitions that resemble anything like Agent Steel.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:49 pm 

I agree that it's obviously super derivative and kinda trendy considering how MF-worshipping occult metal bands started being in vogue a few years ago... but hey, that song is sweet. Way better than all of their other new albums, I'd say. Speed metal Darkthrone is still pretty cool.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:52 pm 

A fucking awesome song. A modern Darkthrone classic. Sounds like Don't Break the Oath mixed with some To Mega Therion with plenty of newer Darkthrone attitude. I love it, can't wait to hear more. Anyone else get the In the Shadow of the Horns reference at the end?

Also, whoever said Nocturno sounds bad singing in this song, LOL, it's Fenriz and he sounds great.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm 

A post SJ Darkthrone album with nice thick production? what is this madness?

fucking love it though

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:06 pm 

Veracs wrote:
The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
That was awesome. You can hear the Agent Steel influence as they had mentioned.

:ugh: :ugh:

I am sure you can hear that this song (well half anyway) is very much speedmetal, which Agent Steel is known for. If they had mentioned any other speed metal band besides AS, I would have said the same thing with that other band.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 pm 

This is sounding awesome!

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Anyone else get the In the Shadow of the Horns reference at the end?

Yup, I expected him to start singing like he does In the Shadow of the Horns but the lead was pretty cool as it turned out.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 pm 

wtf am I listening to here? It's not bad and it's not good. It's just... something.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 pm 

What a horrible time for my streaming to start skipping. Ruined the most exciting moment so far this year =[

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 pm 

It's been a long time since the first 10 seconds of a metal song has surprised me like that. This is fucking awesome. I'm glad they're doing this rather than just making the same black metal record over and over again (not saying that they ever did, but that seems like what modern Darkthrone haters want...).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 pm 

I for one am glad they've left black metal behind. It shows that they're willing to move on from something that's been overdone to death by bands that're just aping off their image and style as well as evolving into something more than just doing Transilvanian Hunger over and over again.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I for one am glad they've left black metal behind. It shows that they're willing to move on from something that's been overdone to death by bands that're just aping off their image and style as well as evolving into something more than just doing Transilvanian Hunger over and over again.

They haven't been black metal for well over a decade, why are you implying as if them turning to shit was just some abrupt thing?

Under_Starmere wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 pm 

I'm not. I enjoy the shit out of most of their albums. I'm just saying that that particular style of black metal got very old very quickly because of all the bands that copied it and so it was the best thing they could do to experiment with other styles.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 pm 

Veracs wrote:
They haven't been black metal for well over a decade, why are you implying as if them turning to shit was just some abrupt thing?

That is objectively false. You're telling me Sardonic Wrath and Hate Them aren't black metal? Are you fucking serious? :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm 

Also, don't forget that their punk albums were still blackened punk, so while they weren't "true" black metal (I hate that term, by the way) on those albums they still had a fair amount of the black metal stuff left. It wasn't until Circle the Wagons that they started to really leave behind that aspect of their sound.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 pm 

I haven't heard the song yet but Veracs cunty description has me pretty psyched.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 am 

It's great. It's Slaytallica crossed with Celtic Frost worship.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:14 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Veracs wrote:

That is objectively false. You're telling me Sardonic Wrath and Hate Them aren't black metal? Are you fucking serious? :lol:

If you've been up to date on the past two pages, it's pretty clear Veracs doesn't have much of a clue as to what he's talking about.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:23 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Veracs wrote:

If you use the term kind of loosely yeah it's black metal-esque, but its still uninspired garbage and from what I recall a lot of the riffs on those albums were a bit more punkish compared to their non-shit first four albums. Even if its vaguely black metal in terms of composition its still shit compared to their material up to Panzerfaust.

Under_Starmere wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:30 am 

God, Veracs, shut up, stop making a fool of yourself! Hate Them, objectively speaking is a black metal album and there's no punk elements.

The key elements in yours posts are "from what I recall", you really don't seem to know what you're talking about. "Garbage", "shit" bla bla bla.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:34 am 

Having listened to this a few more times, I think it would be a lot better without the clean vocals. Darkthrone's clean vocals have always come across as a joke/parody and it's particularly bad on this track. Imagine Nocturno Culto doing his non-shitty BM vocals through the whole thing. It would be so much better.

Delduwath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 am 

I'm not sure how I feel about the clean vocals. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and see how the track hits me then.

Germaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 am 

Seeing as I loved Circle The Wagons, I was looking forward to the new album but this song left me underwhelmed. The vocals are great, but the riffs just seem too standard and uninteresting.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 am 

Metantoine wrote:
God, Veracs, shut up, stop making a fool of yourself! Hate Them, objectively speaking is a black metal album and there's no punk elements.

I haven't heard the album so I'm not one in the position to say it does or doesn't have punk elements, but Veracs isn't the only one. Most of the reviewers on the album page also mention that there are punk elements. Are they wrong, too?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 am 

There wasn't as many as would come on The Cult is alive but in songs like these you can see the punkish elements that would define their latter stuff. I don't know what being "objectively" black metal means especially when you compare these albums towards their past stuff, but Tony's ears must be broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4uPZZbO ... 1358311794

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knjE4mtV ... 1358311794

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KstccgZOGIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE2k0VX44J4

*Gotta love the drumming though in those songs

Under_Starmere wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 am 

Probably not. I heard the album recently and I thought the punk elements weren't much present. I'm checking it out right now, it's kinda punkish but less than on FOAD, TCIA, DTaBF or CtW. Still, I wouldn't classify this album anything else than black metal, I was perhaps too mean to poor lil' Veracs but his overall "edginess" annoys me.

edit: Like this comment about my ears right there.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 am 

My excitement just went through the roof for this album. Sure, the clean vocals are cheesy as fuck, but I enjoy them just for that reason. Also, it sounds like their production quality got less shitty compared to Circle the Wagons. I'm loving what I've heard so far.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 am 

I'll have to give this another listen when I'm a bit more awake (it's before 7am here). Not sure what I think of this right now. Actually the first few seconds, in my half-asleep haze, I thought we'd accidentally hit play on a MF album.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:58 am 

Holy crap, that song was awesome. great riffs, great sound, great vocals, particularly the lower ones on the chorus are magnificent, and the switch from speed metal to CFing worked well. The whole thing in general is about three times better than any of the other recent Darkthrone efforts which were still good. Veracs has got the worst taste ever.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Holy crap, that song was awesome. great riffs, great sound, great vocals, particularly the lower ones on the chorus are magnificent, and the switch from speed metal to CFing worked well. The whole thing in general is about three times better than any of the other recent Darkthrone efforts which were still good. Veracs has got the worst taste ever.

Not you too, :ugh:

Under_Starmere wrote:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 am 

Trust me its not a new development haha.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 am 

Listened to it two times now, and I love it. Getting a Manilla Road/Mercyful Fate vibe mixed with some Hellhammer. Cheesy? Yes. Fun? Yes. Awesome? Yes.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:51 am 

Darkthrone is more metal than a scrapyard. I think they've affirmed their spot as one of the reigning kings.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 am 

This is horrible, and offensive for anybody with taste and respect for 80's metal. It's nothing more than compilation of shamelessly stolen riffs mixed together with randomness that makes Akerfeldt look like good songwriter. And laughable vocals that sound like that joke band Damien Storm. It looks like it was written for purpose of playing in some metal kindergarten, where the teacher plays the song and asks the children to raise hand when they notice which band Fenriz ripped. Note that I don't have against the idea of worship band itself, you can be Midnight or Morrigan or Woodtemple (latest) and release 9/10 + albums, or you can be pathetic Fenriz refusing to quit. Said so, this song is still better than their recent few, because you can actually enjoy this if you're clueless at metal.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
This is horrible, and offensive for anybody with taste and respect for 80's metal. It's nothing more than compilation of shamelessly stolen riffs mixed together with randomness that makes Akerfeldt look like good songwriter. And laughable vocals that sound like that joke band Damien Storm. It looks like it was written for purpose of playing in some metal kindergarten, where the teacher plays the song and asks the children to raise hand when they notice which band Fenriz ripped. Note that I don't have against the idea of worship band itself, you can be Midnight or Morrigan or Woodtemple (latest) and release 9/10 + albums, or you can be pathetic Fenriz refusing to quit. Said so, this song is still better than their recent few, because you can actually enjoy this if you're clueless at metal.

tl;dr: grr i h8 band becos not srs enuff

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 am 

Darkthrone is a speed metal band now? Okay...

It's an improvement.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next