Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:25 pm 

Anyone know if this is really Occultus or is this anther Dead session that's being passed off as Occultus?!
From what I've read in numerous places, there was never any recordings from when he was in Mayhem. So maybe someone can help shed some light on this.

There's a copy for sale on EBay:
MAYHEM - HELVETE/THE OCCULTUS SESSION 1991 7"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220903061445?ss ... 1438.l2649

Obviously a bootleg, but now I'm curious if such a session really exists.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 pm 

So, all sources say it's bogus and it's clearly a bootleg... I'm gonna go ahead and say this is probably legit.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 am 

Isn't this ebay-seller the same as the Zyklon- B guy ?

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:31 pm 

$172 + postage
It sucks that buyers are now kept private on that site, I'd love to see who was bidding on that!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:11 pm 

Probably the seller himself driving up the price.

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 pm 

There's also another seller (also from Greece) selling copies of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas with a different cover and with Occultus pictured on the back. Seems to be a lot of bootlegs coming out if Greece lately and most of them are crap or just plain scams, like this one.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:59 pm 

This is fake to the bone! Even the logo is wrong, that's the one they started using around wolf's lair abyss times!

Guess the financial crisis made him/her desperate!

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:55 pm 

I think I heard a rehearsal track supposedly with Occultus on vocals once, but I don't remember exactly how he sounded, except similar to Dead if I remember correctly.

Shalk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:55 am 

According to Occultus himself, he didn't record anything with the band, unless they did it without his knowledge but it's very unlikely.

I'm not sure if I remember well, but this guy was supposed to sing on DMDS, but Euronymous ripped-off him with some albums' sellings, including Blasphemy material, so he left the band and Euro threatened him, burning a cross on his house' doors or something like that.

ODSM Page in Fb

Horus666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:39 am 

Occultus was a pussy

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:35 pm 

Here's the links to the De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas that has the picture of Occultus on the back and claims to be an instrumental rough mix that Euronymous compiled. Not sure why they would put a picture of Occultus on it if it's an instrumental! Stupid. Steer clear of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250942691435?ss ... 1438.l2649 (LP version)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250942641366?ss ... 1438.l2649 (Pic Disc)

I'm curious what is actually on these records.

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 pm 

The vocals (on the "Helvete" EP) were added later, I guess - within the last few years. Certainly not in 1991, "From The Dark Past" wasn't written until 1992.

FloristOfVampyrism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 pm 

It sold for $291, that's just insane, someone really needs to take a pic of themselves posing with that and post it online somewhere.

693 wrote:
Guess the financial crisis made him/her desperate!

I hope it's a HER, the idea of a sexy, fat, goth chick selling faked Mayhem recordings for extra pie money just turns me on

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:25 am 

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:

I hope it's a HER, the idea of a sexy, fat, goth chick selling faked Mayhem recordings for extra pie money just turns me on

LMAO.

GatesOfBalShaggoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:34 am 

Quote:
the idea of a sexy, fat, goth chick selling faked Mayhem recordings for extra pie money just turns me on

Sigged.

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:16 pm 

Does anyone here have it? Sound quality?

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:26 pm 

Another copy of the 7" sold on the 8th for $122.50. A lot of the bootlegs are coming out of Athens, Greece, so I refuse to purchase anything from there. Some collectors will buy anything without doing any research! Any real Mayhem fan knows Occultus never recorded with the band. I would love to hear it just to see what the quality is like or if it's even Mayhem.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:25 pm 

adrenalin wrote:
I would love to hear it just to see what the quality is like or if it's even Mayhem.

I wonder if it's available as a mp3 bootleg somewhere. It's a bootleg anyway. I have a Burzum/Gorgoroth split - another bootleg - , someone knows wtf is this?

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 pm 

adrenalin wrote:
Another copy of the 7" sold on the 8th for $122.50. A lot of the bootlegs are coming out of Athens, Greece, so I refuse to purchase anything from there. Some collectors will buy anything without doing any research! Any real Mayhem fan knows Occultus never recorded with the band. I would love to hear it just to see what the quality is like or if it's even Mayhem.

I have not heard it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he added vocals to some old stuff. Recently, during the last few years.

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:03 am 

Finally got a chance to hear it, and it's the real deal. It includes two tracks from a different mix (rax mix I guess, as the Freezing Moon solo is very low) of DMDS, and Occultus (now Culto Prietsu) singing on it.

Obviously not recorded in 1991, but in 1992/93 (music), with vocals overdubbed in recent years.

Cool recording, a shame that it is sold for a fortune directly from the desperate Greek jew who made it.

Pictures:
http://www.discogs.com/Mayhem-Helvete-T ... se/3961508

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 pm 

Is it good from a musical point of view?

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:03 am 

Yeah, it's cool enough. He sounds a bit like Dead, but you can clearly hear that it is Occultus, if you have heard his Perdition Hearse or Thyabhorrent stuff.

The sound is great.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 am 

I'd like to hear that (obviously without spending a fortune on E-gay).

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:56 pm 

I am surprised that no one has uploaded it to youtube yet...

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 am 

Why wouldn't you be the first? ;)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 am 

Occultus won't be pleased if it's true and it's very strange that it's completely unavailable, even on mp3. I simply don't believe it exists with his vocals. If it's overdubbed, anyone could made it.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 pm 

^ Why would he not be pleased?

Indeed, black metal vocals are not known for their unique sounds. I also don't believe that the "De Mysteriis..." bootlegs with louds bass playing is true either. I'm sure Varg rehearsed with the band, but anyone could make it, and the band has never confirmed its existence.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:53 pm 

raumr wrote:
^ Why would he not be pleased?

Indeed, black metal vocals are not known for their unique sounds. I also don't believe that the "De Mysteriis..." bootlegs with louds bass playing is true either. I'm sure Varg rehearsed with the band, but anyone could make it, and the band has never confirmed its existence.

Cause this:

Shalk wrote:
According to Occultus himself, he didn't record anything with the band, unless they did it without his knowledge but it's very unlikely.

I'm not sure if I remember well, but this guy was supposed to sing on DMDS, but Euronymous ripped-off him with some albums' sellings, including Blasphemy material, so he left the band and Euro threatened him, burning a cross on his house' doors or something like that.

I've read an old Varg interview where he cites a part of this incident, as well I've read (yeaaars ago) about Occultus being like a partner on getting material for Helvete and putting some of his own personal collection's items there. Also, I'm sure in the NWN forums this info is available. Occultus has avoided to be associated with Mayhem ever since.

The louder bass can be explained, I guess: they went directly to the masters and did a remix or there were 'unfinished' masters with a more even mix, then the band turned down the bass for the final version (reasons are well known). Check the Life Eternal Ep.

The Roots of Sepultura featured like 4 songs with 'original mix', which to me sounds better than the album versions.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 pm 

I guess I ought not to speak with such confidence then... :) I'll check that out.

The specific session I am pointing towards is this:
http://youtu.be/EsTGyglkavM

Really thundering bass strings.

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm 

KFD wrote:
Why wouldn't you be the first? ;)

Unfortunately I don't own a copy myself. I hope to be able to get my hands on one soon, though - without bankrupting myself in the process.

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Occultus won't be pleased if it's true and it's very strange that it's completely unavailable, even on mp3. I simply don't believe it exists with his vocals. If it's overdubbed, anyone could made it.

Believe what you want. It's definately real. It's just a matter of time before it gets uploaded to youtube or something, anyway...

Why wouldn't he be pleased? He recorded the vocals, and even owns a copy of the single himself.

fukkwitt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:08 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:

I've read an old Varg interview where he cites a part of this incident, as well I've read (yeaaars ago) about Occultus being like a partner on getting material for Helvete and putting some of his own personal collection's items there. Also, I'm sure in the NWN forums this info is available. Occultus has avoided to be associated with Mayhem ever since.

Helvete was not originally Euronymous' own store, as it was always portrayed as by him, and later by metal historians and general metal "consensus". It was actually started by three individuals:
-Geir "Thrasher" Bratteli
-Stian "Occultus" Johansen (better known as "Culto" or "Cultoculus", etc)
-Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth

-There were three other individuals involved in the early days as well, providing records, etc.
-Jon "Metalion" Kristiansen came up with the name.

Euronymous gradually pushed the others out or drove them away, among other things because he could not be trusted financially and because he ripped people off. He then gradually took over, and it became "his" store. The store was one big mess financially. To quote one former regular: "lots of people hung out or "worked" there, but no one sold shit". This was the case until jan. 1993, when people were suddenly flocking to the store, because of the newspaper headlines. Euronymous' reaction was to close the shop down because his parents told him to.

Also, Culto has not "avoided to be associated with Mayhem ever since" as you wrote. He is still friends with members of the band, and has even made some official Mayhem t-shirts over the years. "Chainsaw Charlie" is probably the most well-known one, as worn by for instance Blasphemer on several band pictures. He has also done several interviews regarding Mayhem/Helvete over the years.
The sandbox pissing contests of 1992-93 are ancient history. That goes for most of the members of the old scene, aside from Vikernes, of course.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:28 pm 

fukkwitt wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Helvete was not originally Euronymous' own store, as it was always portrayed as by him, and later by metal historians and general metal "consensus". It was actually started by three individuals:
-Geir "Thrasher" Bratteli
-Stian "Occultus" Johansen (better known as "Culto" or "Cultoculus", etc)
-Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth

-There were three other individuals involved in the early days as well, providing records, etc.
-Jon "Metalion" Kristiansen came up with the name.

Euronymous gradually pushed the others out or drove them away, among other things because he could not be trusted financially and because he ripped people off. He then gradually took over, and it became "his" store. The store was one big mess financially. To quote one former regular: "lots of people hung out or "worked" there, but no one sold shit". This was the case until jan. 1993, when people were suddenly flocking to the store, because of the newspaper headlines. Euronymous' reaction was to close the shop down because his parents told him to.

When I was in Oslo in like 2000, there was a 2nd hand shop, where the basement was full of Metal vinyl. One guy seem to have sold his whole collection of Mayhem/Arcturus/Burzum/Eptiaph (Swe)/Grave/Eternal Solstice/Grotesque... vinyls. The seller told me that it was one of the Helvete guys. He said a name like "Manfred" or something, but I haven't had any clue who he enat. I found there around 50 vinyls for somehow ridicioulsy low prices (when comparing them to the ebay-buyer-madness nowadays). Do you know something about this?

(I can't remember the name of the specific shop, but it was close to the old Hot Records shop and Wolf's Lair Abyss shop). I remember Arbeidersamfunnets plass, where Moonfog or something was also located.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 am 

raumr wrote:
I guess I ought not to speak with such confidence then... :) I'll check that out.

The specific session I am pointing towards is this:
http://youtu.be/EsTGyglkavM

Really thundering bass strings.

It's a track from From The Darkest Past, an instrumental demo recording of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. You seem pretty misinformed about old Mayhem recordings.

By the way, From The Darkest Past is strongly recommended.

Reply to topic