Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:13 pm 

I was listening to a new song by the band October Tide, and realized that out of the 4 albums they've recorded, each one has had a different vocalist. The first album had Jonas Renske (Katatonia) on vocals, the 2nd album has Mårten Hansen (A Canorous Quintet), the 3rd album has Tobias Netzell (In Mourning), and finally, the album they're releasing soon has their new vocalist Alexander Högbom.

Can anyone think of any other band where they've had a different singer for each album they've released?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:04 pm 

Beyond Twilight. Prog heavy metal. Their first had Jorn Lande dominating it. Their second had Kelly Carpenter doing the same. Their third is kind of a pretentious mess, but I know it had a different vocalist too. All in all, pretty good band.

Then you have the "metal opera" bands like Ayreon and Avantasia who have a million different vocalists on every album, but there tends to be some recurring ones.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:30 pm 

pretty sure Defeated Sanity has a different vocalist on all 4 of their albums...

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:40 pm 

Comecon comes to mind.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:53 pm 

How about Apocalyptica, different vocalist on every SONG

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm 

Well...Toxik. Mike Sanders sang in World Circus and Charles Sabin did his thing on Think This...i personally think C.S was way better, live and studio, but they are both awesome singers.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 pm 

Iced Earth and Annihilator were the first two bands that came to mind for me. Candlemass and Yngwie Malmsteen's solo band also strike me as additional examples though they were less every album and more every other album. The revolving singers can make it annoying to listen to a given band if you're the type to play favorites, but it does make for interesting band histories and some diverse sounding albums if done right. That and it helps one realize that singers aren't always the hot shit that some people think they are...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:38 pm 

Whenever I think of this topic, I always think of the first three Onslaught albums: They seemed to change not only vocalists but musical styles on each one.

The first one, when they were still heavily crust-punk influenced, had Paul Mahoney handling vocals on all but one or two songs. (In fact, I believe they had a different vocalist on their demos, which were pure Discharge-worship punk.) Sy Keeler sang vocals on the second album, and they were more straight up thrash by then. For "In Search of Sanity" they turned out more of a technical speed/thrash album instead of the straightforward raw thrash or the previous one- and had the guy from Grim Reaper take over on vocals. Apparently this wasn't entirely the band's own idea, as sources say the record company had a lot to do with that decision. They broke up after that, and have since re-united with Sy Keeler once again singing on their newest album. But he sounds nothing like he did on "The Force."

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:13 am 

Sirenia was like this until their last album, which has the same singer as the previous.

In other words, the first 4 albums all had different singers on each.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 am 

Wedge_Antilles wrote:
Comecon comes to mind.

This. The albums with LG and Martin van Drunen are awesome. Fable Frolic (that Marc Grewe sings on) sucks though.

Reply to topic