Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:30 pm 

Being the happy owner of a copy of Extravasation on CD, and being accustomed to listen to the album from that source, it got me curious to see how different the original vinyl sounded. Even more when considering the difference in speed as stated on the album's page. And after comparing the two I have to ask, why on Earth would they do such a thing?

The album isn't just different in terms of speed, but also in terms of pitch (correct term? :???: ) as it has a higher tone on... everything?! And it also bugs me a bit how loud the remaster is. So can anyone enlighten me on why the band did this, which version do they consider to be the "as they wanted it it initially" and all that? Or you can just pitch in and grab a bite of the conversation, after all this is a message board. :p

Critical_Madness
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

It beats me as to why they butchered the re-release by speeding it up... (like it wasn't fast enough to begin with?) And yes - the whole album in turn is tweaked up in pitch. Listen to the original... It actually sounds like it's performed by human beings somewhat. One of the most exciting thrash metal albums I've heard so far.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:51 pm 

Yeah, so I wasn't hearing wrong after all. :grin:

I actually agree with you, the original vinyl sounds much more natural in its rhythm and pacing, but especially in the vocals. It's a shame though that it's impossible to find! Even the damned CD is OOP for some time now, and the label that did it actually closed.

I'd really like to see this get a reissue with the proper (read: original) sound. Maybe Matt from Divebomb could be interested?! It would be a bitch trying to find the band members though...

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:57 pm 

The original was released on a cassette tape if I remember right. I have no idea why they would do this either. I mean, did people really clamor for such changes?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:03 pm 

It was released on tape and vinyl, both on post-USSR mother Russia... Good luck in finding a copy! :annoyed:

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:24 pm 

FYI, the same thing happened with Morbid Saint 'Spectrum of Death' cd version. The Grindcore version is speeded up compared to the Avanzada Metalica version. Not sure which one is identical to the vinyl.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:57 pm 

Helvede wrote:
FYI, the same thing happened with Morbid Saint 'Spectrum of Death' cd version. The Grindcore version is speeded up compared to the Avanzada Metalica version. Not sure which one is identical to the vinyl.

What?! :grumble:

Do you happen to know from which version the Keltic "bootleg" stems from? It's kind of fucked up to go on and listen to original "unspeeded" versions in retrospection. It really is...

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:16 pm 

Well, the Keltic boot was already on the market before people even realized that Avanzada Metalica also released 'Spectrum...' on cd. Popular belief until then was that the Grindcore version was the one and only original cd release. I'm guessing the boot must be from the Grindcore version. I have both Avanzada Metalica and Grindcore cds...it's not a major problem, I think.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:44 pm 

Eh, yeah. It's also extremely unlikely for me to ever get my hands on either one of those versions. Highly expensive and very prone to bootlegging.

I guess that, like with Aspid, it's one of those situations were you never see any wrong on an album until you realize something was altered from the initial edition. Then your "belief system" about that album kind of crashes down. That underwhelming sensation does suck.

Oh well, at least I have one physical edition of it. :p

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:40 pm 

androdion wrote:
Eh, yeah. It's also extremely unlikely for me to ever get my hands on either one of those versions. Highly expensive and very prone to bootlegging.

I guess that, like with Aspid, it's one of those situations were you never see any wrong on an album until you realize something was altered from the initial edition. Then your "belief system" about that album kind of crashes down. That underwhelming sensation does suck.

Oh well, at least I have one physical edition of it. :p

That happened to me. Where the Night was my favorite because of how insanely fast it was. When I heard the vinyl, part of my love for the track diminished because I realized the track wasn't actually that fast.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 am 

It's only recently that I knew that Extravasation was sped up for the CD. I'm so used to hearing that version that the original would probably sound weird to me.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 am 

androdion wrote:
The album isn't just different in terms of speed, but also in terms of pitch (correct term? :???: ) as it has a higher tone on... everything?!

varying the speed and varying the pitch is synonymous (frequency)

why anyone would do that to an album is beyond me

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:26 am 

joppek wrote:
androdion wrote:
The album isn't just different in terms of speed, but also in terms of pitch (correct term? :???: ) as it has a higher tone on... everything?!

varying the speed and varying the pitch is synonymous (frequency)

why anyone would do that to an album is beyond me

With digital audio, it's possible to tweak either without affecting the other, however.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:38 am 

Right. if the alteration in speed is significant you can usually tell it's been toyed with. BUt ugh....this seriously makes me so annoyed. I hope somewhere out there someone in the band knows about this and is really angry. What a horrible thing to do to someone's music. Just inexcusable in every way. And if the band themselves are responsible for this, well, screw them; let's see them try to play like that live.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:54 am 

I've never been the most astute person when it come to understand the mechanics of pitch in analog sound, so I put it up for dispute because I wasn't sure if it was the correct term. Maybe I should do some reading about it, when I'm in the mood... :p

Now I wish I'd never had listened to the original rip, because much like Mickey I listened to the CD version ad nauseam. It would be cool to have some input about this from the band, as well as from Morbid Saint regarding what Helvede posted before. But given the shitstorm that went by in here with their compilation, and the general "nowhere to be found" status of the Ruskies, I don't think it will be possible to shed much light on both subjects. :(

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm 

It could easily have been the label Grindcore's decision to speed up Morbid Saint. I'm sure I saw this discussed on another forum and tracks were put up on soundcloud to compare, but right now I can't seem to find whereever it was.

Reply to topic