Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:24 pm 

My step-mom practically introduced me to metal. She gave me her White Zombie tapes at the tender age of 12 or 13 or some such madness. Needless to say, I owe a lot to her for my musical development. She also introduced me (through said tape collection) to the Sisters of Mercy - who I went absolutely bonkers over at the time, early NIN, and Danzig. And she raised me a Chris Cornell Catholic (after church, cranking Badmotorfinger, "Listen to the words!"), so Soundgarden was basically branded into my soul. Quite metal indeed. I was a spoiled kid, musically! So I can obviously rock any of that shit with her around and she is cool with it - though I don't get much a chance to anymore. She and my pops live two hours away these days. She still gets into Disturbed, Godsmack and whatnot occasionally, and groovier stuff, but most trve metal sounds 'up tight' and 'silly' to her (her own words), so she doesn't partake. But when I still lived with them, she just kinda tuned out any Power, Folk-Power, Blackened Fuckcore or Churchsmashing Christfucking Hammerdeath I happened to be listen to that day.

She would poke fun at me for things though. Mercyful Fate made her laugh a lot. Any death metal was goofy to her, but she loved buying me the shirts.

Soundgarden outlasted MF. Tom Waits trumps them both for me these days, though. So I guess she had the last laugh.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 pm 

As said above my mom has somehow adopted my love for metal. She loves Metallica and some Folk Metal like the softer songs from Vintersorg, also the whole Damnation album by Opeth (the clean sections from Opeth are just perfect so anyone can apreciate)
The lady loves classic rock like Queen,Zeppelin and Rush when young so its not a big surprise she can handle heavier stuff, but i was shocked the other day when she told me "hey that music its awesome, so theatrical and symphonic, yet so powerful". I was spining Carach Angrens´ Where The Corpses Sink Forever :p

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:39 am 

My parents really don't like death metal.

kapala
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:47 am 

I have my mother's original copy of "Paranoid" on LP from 1970-ish, more for sentimental reasons than anything, because she listened to it so much none of the tracks play properly. She likes some black metal, as well, though I think she enjoys the aesthetic more than the music in most cases.
Both my parents listen to stuff like Graveyard, aside from the old classics.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:04 am 

I haven't listened to much of anything with my mummy in recent years, but when she was still driving me and my sisters around regularly, she enjoyed the typical mom-friendly stuff... partly through compromise with my sister and introduction to some of these bands by my stepdad (and a few by my sister):

Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Dio, Rhapsody, Rush, Sabbath, etc.

She just listens to talk radio almost exclusively these days, though... As for speciffic songs, it's hard to recall, though I do know she was particularly fond of Dio's Magical album, particularly the song "Losing My Insanity"

These days, if we make long trips together, I typically compromise with something mellower like Cocteau Twins... Seems like the hardest music she listens to recently is stuff like Petra and Servant... She's way into CCM/Rock music... :boring:

EDIT: MAGICA*
God, I fuuuucking fucking ffffffffuuuuckingggg hate auto-correct!

Last edited by the_raytownian on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:07 am 

kapala wrote:
I have my mother's original copy of "Paranoid" on LP from 1970-ish, more for sentimental reasons than anything, because she listened to it so much none of the tracks play properly. She likes some black metal, as well, though I think she enjoys the aesthetic more than the music in most cases.
Both my parents listen to stuff like Graveyard, aside from the old classics.

Speaking of records, that reminds me that I inherited my terribly trashed Blue Oyster Cult and Sabbath vinyl from my folks.

...and we listened to a good deal of BOC in the car, which I didn't think to mention.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:11 am 

CocaineCola wrote:
Your metal sucks if your parents liked it.

Wicked edgy, brah.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 am 

My mum really loved Mago De Oz, Savage Grace, and of course some of Moonspell's melodic track but generally she thinks the music is Satanic and even destroyed my first collection of albums ranging in everything from Slipknot to Mayhem. It sucked, but my uncle is massively into old school heavy/power he adored Running Wild, Riot, Warlord, and Jag Panzer when I played them for him. Of course he was already into the basics Ryche, Maiden, and Dio so it wasn't that much of a jump for him.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:40 am 

My mom likes a lot of old school heavy metal that I listen to. Not so much the faster speed metal or first wave black metal stuff, but a lot of the melodic heavy metal, clean vocal stuff, NWOBHM, and epic metal stuff like Manilla Road and Warlord. I couldn't tell you all the stuff she likes because it was usually a case of her passing by as I was listening to something and I would get a quick comment like "who is this? I like it." She doesn't like extreme metal at all, as most mom's don't. However she has surprised me a few times

CocaineCola wrote:
Your metal sucks if your parents liked it.

My mom liked a few Sabbat (Jap) songs. If you think Sabbat sucks, please shred your metal card on the way out.

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:13 pm 

My mom loves Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, and anything 80's metal. I've showed her a couple Gorgoroth tracks and although she never explicitly said she liked it, she said she can see the appeal. I once showed her 'What A Horrible Night to Have A Curse' by TBDM and as far as I know it's still on her iPod. I also know she likes Type O Negative and some Evile.

My dad is mostly into anything dadrock or folky. He also likes to crank N.W.A and Beastie Boys as well as some White Zombie.

My parents are pretty weird.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:46 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
My dad on the other hand has a big glam metal background and can't seem to listen to anything heavier than Metallica, though he is a sizeable Iron Maiden fan.

Do you mean Black Album-Metallica, or Puppets-Metallica? Because besides the vocals/production, Puppets is really about as heavy as metal gets...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 am 

According to my brother, my father thought the riffs on Obituary - The End Complete were awesome back in 1992 or 1993 or whenever that album came out. My father is nearly 70 years old and listens to mostly dance or disco style music from the 70's so I find it hard to believe...but I do not see why he would make such a thing up.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:32 am 

My Mom looks very much like the stereotypical librarian and her musical taste is pretty much classical only, although she asked me to get her Robert Miles cd one Christmas. Anyways, back when Youthanasia came out, I bought the cassette and played it in the car for her and she told me she really liked the lyrics. She also really liked Seventh Son of a Seventh Son because of Bruce's range. When I went to Lollapalozza in 1996, she dropped me off and came back towards the end of Metallica's set and just sat outside and listened to the show. She liked what she heard, even if she thought it was a bit loud. She likes some metal with symphonic influences as well.

My old man has always been a rock guy so he tended to put up with my music. He would steal my copies of Paranoid and Vol. 4 to smoke pot to. He also had a UFO LP which was pretty cool.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 am 

My parents have never been particularly into metal, although there are bits and pieces they don't mind - my Dad is alright with Judas Priest, and my mum doesn't mind Cirith Ungol. For the record, Dad was a prog rocker and mum was into stuff like Meatloaf and The Angels.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:50 am 

Eh, my mom think I'm going to go deaf because metal is "so loud." I informed her that I can listen to it at any volume I want to, thanks to the volume controls, but her response was "yeah, but you're supposed to listen to it loud," so, at least she has that part down. She listens to old, grown folks' music, like soul, old R&B, and Luther Vandros. Whenever I'd go anywhere with my dad, he didn't care what I played in the car. In my pre-metal days I'd blast Chili Peppers, Rammstein, and SOAD, and he seemed to actually like some song from each band. The only CD's my dad actually owns are Aeromith's greatest hits, Roy Orbison, and George Thorogood, because my dad is a baller.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:24 am 

My mother was sitting behind the computer while Opeth's latest album was playing, and she liked it, while she's actually only into latin folk, salsa, merengue, bachata and that kind of stuff... And she also likes some of the more known songs from System Of A Down (probably because of the balkan vibe, that reminds her of that ethnic folk stuff).

My dad actually went along to a metal festival a couple of times. I still remember that awkward moment of him 'nodding' his head along to Dream Theater's music live. He also really likes Rammstein and Sabaton. He used to be into hard/prog rock/aor/pop rock during the 70s/early 80s (Yes/Wings/Blue Oyster Cult/Deep Purple/Grateful Dead/Dire Straits/Gary Moore/Scorpions/Pink Floyd/...)

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:13 am 

Though not typically metal, my mom loves Trans-siberian Orchestra.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 am 

My Ma hates metal, but then again, what she does like is very limited, mostly to stereotypical Mom-stuff like Whitney Houston and Abba. Dad likes the classics, and a lot of old rock, though.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
My Ma hates metal, but then again, what she does like is very limited, mostly to stereotypical Mom-stuff like Whitney Houston and Abba. Dad likes the classics, and a lot of old rock, though.

You say that like Whitney Houston isn't any good. Even some ABBA songs are very good.
Now, Shaun Cassidy: There is some truly atrocious "mom music" for you.

Brrr...

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:07 pm 

My dad once said he liked Rings of Saturn because it sounded like Frank Zappa.

Other than hat nothin.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 pm 

I grew up on Overkill,Pantera, and Obituary from my dad and stuff like Bad Brains,Rush,Soundgarden,Minor Threat and Discharge from my mom
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 pm 

^ Seems like it wouldn't be that much of a difference to spin actual metal around your folks.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

You say that like Whitney Houston isn't any good. Even some ABBA songs are very good.
Now, Shaun Cassidy: There is some truly atrocious "mom music" for you.

Brrr...

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!
... who said anything about Abba being bad?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 pm 

Yeah, ABBA rules, bitches!

ManicAeon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 pm 

Funny topic !

I don't let my parents listen to my music when they're nearby so I can't say much other than I've found them enjoying a couple of soft-ballads written by Therion and one almost-acoustic Lacuna Coil song. Maybe they've listened to some The Gathering or Nightwish songs too. They usually listen to old rock (even Pearl Jam), classical music, old pop (like ABBA) and even latin-folk music so yeah, why wouldn't them sometimes enjoy a not-so-heavy metal song?

Oh I remember once they made me play a CD from my collection and I played DSO's 'The Butcher's Ballroom', I skipped the first track and let them listen to two songs. They liked the beat at the beggining of one of the songs but didn't say anything after. I guess they couldn't digest operatic vocals with jazzy-elements and metal altogether :lol: .

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:46 pm 

My mom is a big fan of Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All. She's also regularly commented that the music of most extreme metal I listen to is genuinely great, but she can't get past the vocals.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:30 am 

My mum likes the simple stuff. She really likes power/speed, but either the vocals are too harsh/ugly, or they make her laugh (Agent Steel). :annoyed: She can't go past that.

My dad, on the other hand, is very tolerant. He mocks death metal vocals, but he gets into the instrumentals. He really digs the technical stuff (like Obscura and Death, not Necrophagist). He plays guitar, so he can actually see the talent that goes into a song like that.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 am 

My mother doesn't really dig metal at all. Although she was never much of a religious person, she was always concerned about Satanism and cults. And not being a terribly bright individual she looked to Oprah and Donahue to keep current with social issues. So when it came to sewing patches onto my jacket, my grandmother was the premiere go to lady. The only nice thing she ever said about anything metal was when she walked into my room while I was listening to Powerslave and said, "This is so much better than all that other crap you typically listen to".

My dad was never a big fan, either, but he always took the stance of, "It's just a phase". He never really gave me shit about it, though. Although when Warmaster came out by Bolt Thrower he had driven me to the mall because he needed to stop at Sears for something. On the way home I popped it in the cassette deck, and he goes, "You paid money for this?".

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:53 pm 

My Mum loves Alcest, especially Souvenirs...

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:12 pm 

Hircine wrote:

Alcest is the only "metal" I could get my mom to like. Oh well.... I guess we all have to happy with the little victories.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 pm 

Hircine wrote:

Just reminded me that me mom enjoyed Écailles de Lune when she heard it a while back.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Xpert74
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:44 am 

My mom likes stuff like The Beatles and I guess other rock music. She's also a big fan of jazz, and loves musicals; she's a huge fan of Moulin Rouge, and will often play the Moulin Rouge soundtrack and Westside Story compilation soundtrack while doing work or cleaning the house. She's actually enjoyed quite a bit of the metal I've played over the years. I played her Torture Squad's Pandemonium and she really liked it. When I told her the name of the band, her reaction was along the lines of "Oh god, I like a band called Torture Squad!" :lol: She also once walked by my room while I was listening to Repulsion's Horrified, and said she felt like dancing to it. Which really confuses me. She didn't actually dance to it though, so I have no idea how one might dance to such a thing. Aside from those, she's also really liked both Sepultura's Beneath The Remains and Master (US)'s Four More Years of Terror. She also really enjoyed Autopsy's Mental Funeral; I remember her commenting on the jazz-like sound of the music at some points. One thing I recall her actually disliking though is Discharge (I was listening to disc 1 of Decontrol: The Singles), although that's not metal. She actually asked me to stop playing it and put something else on, because it was giving her a headache. I'm not totally sure why she liked all of the other things I listed, but couldn't stand that; I guess she doesn't like punk.

My dad likes some rock, but mainly romantic power ballads and stuff; he's a huge Queen fan, and also likes Scorpions and The Beatles (I think mainly their older stuff), Led Zeppelin, Boston, and stuff like that. He also enjoys some newer stuff like Creed, and pop music like Hilary Duff and lots of '80s things. He really hasn't liked much of the metal I've played though. He's definitely not into anything with screaming, and he doesn't like most of the non-screaming bands I listen to either. He really loves Metallica's Fade to Black though, and he enjoys/tolerates '80s Metallica in general. He also loves the song Accolade II by Symphony X, which influenced him to buy their album The Odyssey. He just thought the rest of the album was alright though; he only really loves Accolade II on it. I also played him Master (Russian)'s debut, which he listened to in the background on repeat while on the computer. I think he said it was just okay though, but he at least seemed to be more okay with it than most metal. He's very picky about what he likes :p

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:50 am 

My mom hates the music I listen to. She calls it ghost like music because of the harsh vocals. So I should her some symphonic metal videos and she said the chicks look like ghosts anyway. She didn't like the goth make up. She thinks I listen to suicidal music

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:39 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
My mom hates the music I listen to. She calls it ghost like music because of the harsh vocals. So I should her some symphonic metal videos and she said the chicks look like ghosts anyway. She didn't like the goth make up. She thinks I listen to suicidal music

How you manage to not burst out laughing at these kinds of statements is beyond me :lol:

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:05 pm 

My mum really likes Alcest because it's soft and she doesn't consider it to be metal, she also likes Judas Priest because it's 'great rock and roll' and she knows the name of the band.
Pretty good for a woman who just bought Guy Sebastian's new album because she saw an ad on TV for it.

My dad on the other hand, he's not into death metal but he owned a double gatefold vinyl of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath back in his younger years.
He really likes Devin Townsend's music though, probably because it's played on Triple J and he listens to that a lot these days.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:59 pm 

ManicAeon wrote:
Funny topic !

I don't let my parents listen to my music when they're nearby so I can't say much other than I've found them enjoying a couple of soft-ballads written by Therion and one almost-acoustic Lacuna Coil song. Maybe they've listened to some The Gathering or Nightwish songs too. They usually listen to old rock (even Pearl Jam), classical music, old pop (like ABBA) and even latin-folk music so yeah, why wouldn't them sometimes enjoy a not-so-heavy metal song?

Oh I remember once they made me play a CD from my collection and I played DSO's 'The Butcher's Ballroom', I skipped the first track and let them listen to two songs. They liked the beat at the beggining of one of the songs but didn't say anything after. I guess they couldn't digest operatic vocals with jazzy-elements and metal altogether :lol: .

Your user name a reference to the sirenia song? If so then AWESOME.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:49 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
My mum really likes Alcest because it's soft and she doesn't consider it to be metal

To be fair, I don't think many people do.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:53 pm 

Subrick wrote:
My mom is a big fan of Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All. She's also regularly commented that the music of most extreme metal I listen to is genuinely great, but she can't get past the vocals.

Wish my mom was that cool lol. She generally doesnt like any type of metal, her brother grew up listening to stuff like KISS and my mom thinks thats super heavy haha. My dad is a pastor so it's obvious what he thinks of metal. Although he loves Zeppelin.

Irvzdaburbz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 am 

Metal has always been around in my life thanks to my father even though we don't have a great relationship. He definitely had a lot to do with how I got into metal. Him and I have a variety of genres we listen to. Sometimes when I would blast music with harsh vocals he would begin to mimic the vocals himself and dance around. Hahaha. It used to never bother my mom until she became a christian then she began telling me to turn in off any time she heard it. My dad said she used to enjoy some black metal herself when they first began dating. I rarely blast Metal around them anymore. I prefer to keep it to myself. :)

ManicAeon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:57 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
ManicAeon wrote:
>pointless to quote this again<

Your user name a reference to the sirenia song? If so then AWESOME.

Yep it is. I remember being thinking of a user name and at the same time listening to that song, then the violin part started and I was like 'thank you Pete J, that's it !' :thumbsup:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2