Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 am 

I wanted to start this thread to discuss when a replacement for a band member doesn't quite match the departing musician's talent and it becomes a bummer when listening to said band's new material.

For me, I was a huge Alex Hernandez fan during his tenure with Immolation. When he departed after Unholy Cult, I found Steve Shalaty's drumming to be wanting on several subsequent albums. It was only until Providence came out that I felt like Steve finally brought himself up to speed and matched Alex's style.

For the con, (and I know this is blasphemy) I find Tim Yeung's drumming to be tight as hell and excellent when compared with Pete Sandoval's sometimes sloppy live performances.

I don't think any of Dave Mustaine's replacements for Marty and Nick have ever suited Megadeth. Chris and Shawn sound like they are doing play by the numbers to me.

As much as the new Pig Destroyer album slays and proves Adam Jarvis is a machine, I miss Brian Harvey's drumming and finesse. He knew how to let some of the songs breathe a bit better.

I still miss John Kempainen's guitar solos with Black Dahlia Murder. Ryan Knight is starting to come into his own, but I find his solos don't have the catchiness or melody that John's did.

Rob Caggiano was never a good fit for Anthrax. I worshiped Dan Spitz back in the day and I hope he ends up coming back to Anthrax. Dan's playing was perhaps the most underrated element of the big four's hey day.

For the con, (and I know this is blasphemy) I found Blasphemer's guitar playing to suit Mayhem better than Euronymous. While I love DMDS, Chimera and Ordo were chock full of crazy arcane riffing. I kind of hope he comes back to Mayhem.

Last edited by FJ Receptor on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 am 

I disagree about Spitz lol I thought most of his solos were pretty bad in Anthrax and momentum killers (although I liked them on SoWN).

I don't think Ensiferum has come close to replacing what Jari brought to the table, although "From Afar" had some good stuff on it.

None of the drummers in Manilla Road have come close to Randy Foxe, in my opinion.

John Corabi did a hell of a job replacing Vince Neil and their self-titled album is easily their best as far as I'm concerned.

Paul Bostaph, despite having a different drumming style, was a great replacement for Dave Lombardo.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:51 am 

novakm wrote:
I disagree about Spitz lol I thought most of his solos were pretty bad in Anthrax and momentum killers (although I liked them on SoWN).

I don't think Ensiferum has come close to replacing what Jari brought to the table, although "From Afar" had some good stuff on it.

None of the drummers in Manilla Road have come close to Randy Foxe, in my opinion.

John Corabi did a hell of a job replacing Vince Neil and their self-titled album is easily their best as far as I'm concerned.

Paul Bostaph, despite having a different drumming style, was a great replacement for Dave Lombardo.

Forgot about Bostaph, I wish he was still in Slayer. Dave's retro drumming doesn't suit the current incarnation of Slayer all that well in my opinion....bit too safe.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 am 

Duncan Patterson leaving Anathema...Not that I don't like their albums after that, but it lead to Daniel Cavanagh being pretty much the sole writer.

Testament...though they've had some of the best thrash drummers, I always liked Clemente better.

Entombed was never the same without Nicke Anderson. They have lost other core members, but him leaving had the biggest impact.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 am 

Helvede wrote:
Duncan Patterson leaving Anathema...Not that I don't like their albums after that, but it lead to Daniel Cavanagh being pretty much the sole writer.

Testament...though they've had some of the best thrash drummers, I always liked Clemente better.

Entombed was never the same without Nicke Anderson. They have lost other core members, but him leaving had the biggest impact.

Per Nicke Anderson, quite true. His drumming on Clandestine is completely insane and he had a knack for writing killer riffs.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 am 

Jason Newsted replacing Cliff Burton immediately came to mind. Yeah, I know, it's so obvious.

Jason had certainly big shoes to fill. He was very good at what he did, I'm not going to argue with that. But Cliff was some sort of a genius, really. One of the greatest. He affected greatly on Metallica's earlier output, and Metallica would be a very different beast if he was alive. I feel Jason never really got a proper chance to show his skills. Reading their biography all the shit other Metallica members gave to him, I really feel sorry for the guy.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:20 am 

Helvede wrote:

Testament has had numerous talented drummers play for them over the years. Clemente is BY FAR the worst.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 am 

John Arch being replaced by Ray Adler in Fates Warning is probably a big one. Ray's not an awful singer, but he is rather plain when compared to Arch. Also, he couldn't handle singing Arch's stuff, so it ended up being cringe-worthy/hilarious when he'd tackle those songs live... you can see why they don't play much Arch-era stuff with Ray. I do think "being able to play/sing the other guy's parts" is an important factor when considering a replacement, don't you?

For me, it's very puzzling as to why Running Wild decided to go with drum machines/session players for live work after Jorg Michael's departure. I think Rolf had just given up the ghost by that time and decided to save money by not hiring anymore full-time members. Still, a ridiculous decision if there ever was one. You simply can't replace a great drummer with a machine and expect any good to come out of it. I guess it's interesting that they hired Chris Efthimiadis as a live drummer, considering that Chris had originally taken over Jorg's place in Rage, the German power metal scene sure is inbred. :lol: However, this isn't really a case of someone's boots being to big to fill, it's just simply a baffling choice on a band leader's part.

I guess most people would also say that Helloween never found an adequate replacement for Kai Hansen, too. As far as writing goes, I'd agree with that. But on the other hand, Roland Grapow is a superior lead guitarist in my estimation... so it's not really a playing problem. Besides, it's not like Kai's written much of interest since the Keepers days, anyway. Sorry, Gamma Ray fans!

Similarly, I'd say that Ripper Owens was in no way an adequate replacement for Rob Halford. Not only because Halford was completely irreplaceable/unique/dynamic as a frontman and singer but also because Owens is cover band material. He can sing the parts/hit the notes and whatever but he doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table. Well, I guess it doesn't matter that much seeing as Priest were already a spent force by the time the 1990s came around... but still, Ripper? Bad move.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:12 am 

one non-metal mention if it's "allowed" - Fish, the vocalist on the first four Marillion albums, could never be reached by his successor Steve Hogarth.
Not only is Hogarth both a different singer and lyric writer but the departure of Fish also brought a change in sound.
Though I do like some songs of the Hogarth era, Marillion with Fish will always be "my" Marillion.

To get back to metal - Blaze Bailey never could fill the shoes left by both Di'Anno and Bruce Dickinson. Never... (imo!)

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Similarly, I'd say that Ripper Owens was in no way an adequate replacement for Rob Halford. Not only because Halford was completely irreplaceable/unique/dynamic as a frontman and singer but also because Owens is cover band material. He can sing the parts/hit the notes and whatever but he doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table. Well, I guess it doesn't matter that much seeing as Priest were already a spent force by the time the 1990s came around... but still, Ripper? Bad move.

Pretty much the same could be said for Ripper replacing Matt Barlow in Iced Earth. He did pretty well and actually had a bit of a different style to Barlow, but he just couldn't replace him.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:04 pm 

Without Mikkey Dee, I think King Diamond's subsequent albums suffered. The Eye gets a lot of love, but I consider it somewhat average compared to the previous stuff, including even Fatal Portrait, if only because of the lack of amazing drumming.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:12 pm 

Matt Barlow's shoes have proved somewhat difficult to fill in Iced Earth, especially with many of the fans ardent that he's the best the band will ever have. Personally, however, I think Ripper Owens was adequate, and now Stu Block is impressive, even superior for the position - as good a front-man as the band could hope to have.

The utterly irreplaceable band members are generally quite self evident, particularly when the bands which they are in becomes "so and so and the gang", such is their weight or signature-sound within proceedings.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:23 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

100% agreed on this. the guy can sing, no question, but there's nothing unique or interesting about his voice. not that that should necessarily damn him - there are buttloads of guys just like him out there - but he has this ability to join bands at the wrong time, for better or worse, and it makes him notable. apparently he's singing for malmsteen now, which i find kinda fitting considering i can't tell any of malmsteen's singers apart.

also agreed on the Bostaph comment - the fact that he's a fantastic drummer is always kinda lost among the "...but he's not lombardo" tacked onto any compliment he receives.

derrick green in sepultura: he never had a chance. amazingly though, they're still pumping out albums. don't think any of them are any good, though.

patrick mameli on vocals in pestilence: the shoes were too big to fill imo. no one compares to van drunen.

tomi joutsen in amorphis: joined the band at arguably their lowest point, and they immediately started kicking arse again, at least for 2 albums (haven't heard the newest).

the string of guitarists savatage had replacing criss oliva: all brilliant players, but none of them had his talent.

and not metal, but turbonegro's new singer is amazing and their new album is as good as they get. wasn't expecting that at all.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:43 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Pretty much the same could be said for Ripper replacing Matt Barlow in Iced Earth. He did pretty well and actually had a bit of a different style to Barlow, but he just couldn't replace him.

I actually thought Ripper did a better job of singing the material from the first two albums live than Barlow did, although part of that has to do with singing style. Stu Block is very good, it's a shame the album that he's on is so boring.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:00 pm 

Can't believe I forgot this one. William DuVall has done a fantastic job replacing Layne Staley in my opinion. He has a lot of ability in his own right, can do the old songs justice, while adding his own touch to the newer songs without sounding like a Staley clone.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
Without Mikkey Dee, I think King Diamond's subsequent albums suffered. The Eye gets a lot of love, but I consider it somewhat average compared to the previous stuff, including even Fatal Portrait, if only because of the lack of amazing drumming.

Or, lack of any drummer. I think that The Eye is actually the second best King Diamond "solo" outing (yeah, I don't feel right using that word when they clearly were a proper band) after Abigail, but the silly sounding drum machine hurts the album. Thankfully, the material's superb so it can still get by without a drummer even if it's obvious that the album would be much better with an appropriate drummer onboard.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 pm 

Kamelot's Roy Kahn (For me) is utterly, 100% irreplaceable.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:52 pm 

I disagree with the OP on Steve Shalaty. The guy is INSANE, and his drumming I find to be just as good.
On the topic of Ripper Owens, I always liked Jugulator and 98' Live, and Halford's shoes are pretty big to fill in the first place. I think he at least did an okay job.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:10 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Kamelot's Roy Kahn (For me) is utterly, 100% irreplaceable.

I am a huge Kamelot fanboy, as much as the next metalhead, Khan is a god among mortal men and all, but come on, Karevik is good, and besides, maybe, just maybe, the Khan-fronted Kamelot was beginning to stagnate. I don't know, Karevik is like ten years younger than Khan, right? Given time, he might become just as good in the future, and Silverthorn is a great starting point.
Has someone listened to Karevik sing stuff from Epica, The Black Halo or Karma?

I agree with Marty on Megadeth.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 pm 

Quote:
I agree with Marty on Megadeth.

Marty was definitely a fantastic guitarist on Rust in Peace, but the albums after that on which he played lead were never really as good, regardless of whether or not he played on them - I'm not certain how good a vehicle the band were for Marty's talent post Rust in Peace - Rust in Peace wouldn't have been the same without him, granted, but the rest - I'm not sure he was vital.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:40 pm 

Uhmm, you are right, he was not vital (only Dave is), but maybe the reason why Megadeth was not so shitty like the other big 3 during the early nineties was Marty. That's what I always thought.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm 

That's true - Rust in Peace is a colossal album in general, but particularly so for it's time in the thrash-lifespan. I'm not a big fan of Countdown to Extinction at all, I have to say, but Youthanasia is splendid, so that's at least two good albums more than the average thrash band mustered in the 90's.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:08 pm 

FJ Receptor wrote:

For me, I was a huge Alex Hernandez fan during his tenure with Immolation. When he departed after Unholy Cult, I found Steve Shalaty's drumming to be wanting on several subsequent albums. It was only until Providence came out that I felt like Steve finally brought himself up to speed and matched Alex's style.

For the con, (and I know this is blasphemy) I find Tim Yeung's drumming to be tight as hell and excellent when compared with Pete Sandoval's sometimes sloppy live performances.

For the con, (and I know this is blasphemy) I found Blasphemer's guitar playing to suit Mayhem better than Euronymous. While I love DMDS, Chimera and Ordo were chock full of crazy arcane riffing. I kind of hope he comes back to Mayhem.

Providence' drumming is insanely ferocious, the guy is about to destroy the kit! you can feel the intensity of the performance like, well, only few like Alex could provide. Just listen those blastbeats!

I saw Morbid Angel with Tim and you know? you're kinda right. The only thing I didn't like was the bass drum sound which was a bit too clicky, but the guy is a machine and played the old MA material beat by beat like Pete. I could tell the guy put a lot of effort learning the songs in every possible detail, BUT... Pete's studio performances are way superior, not for technique, but for the energy/vibe/strength of the performance.

Rune is an excellent guitarist with a pretty unique style. I'm not sure if he's better than Euro in terms of songwriting (well, DMDS was written and arranged also by Snorre which IS a genius) but the guy has done some great stuff too. I hope he could be back to black metal in that vein, besides his Ava Inferi project and the Nader Sadek stuff.

Helvede wrote:

Duncan was a good part of what Anathema was. I liked what he did after his departure, especially influencing Mick Moss's Antimatter for a more depressive and folk/rock sound.

I think Tempesta did a terrific job on Low and currently Hoglan fits very well.

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
Jason Newsted replacing Cliff Burton immediately came to mind. Yeah, I know, it's so obvious.

Jason had certainly big shoes to fill. He was very good at what he did, I'm not going to argue with that. But Cliff was some sort of a genius, really. One of the greatest. He affected greatly on Metallica's earlier output, and Metallica would be a very different beast if he was alive. I feel Jason never really got a proper chance to show his skills. Reading their biography all the shit other Metallica members gave to him, I really feel sorry for the guy.

Nah, if Cliff were to be alive, they only could have got slower and lighter faster than they did. From the 4, Cliff was by a mile the 'less' metal influenced musician; he brought the 'ballads', the acoustic stuff, Orion, etc. He was a very good bassist but Jason was way more metal oriented. Sadly, neither the fans nor the band gave him the chance to make much contributions, but I think Blackened alone is a great example to show what Metallica could have made if Newsted was more involved into the songwriting. Still, the gigs with Jason had way more energy, the guy sweated metal and his backing vocals and stage presence were already enough to make the shows completely awesome.

In fact, I think Trujillo can't fill Jason's shoes: the guy can play but he doesn't has the same or a similar brutal stage presence. Hey, today's Metallica's shows are incredibly lazy compared with the ones over a decade ago.

As odd as this might sound, I think Ozzy will have a hard time trying to top Dio's performance with Heaven & Hell. Damn, that album deserves the Sabbath name.

The new Obscura bassist (Klaus) has some good work to do to top Jeroen's performances. From what I've seen and heard, the guy is not good enough for replacing him.

About ICS Vortex:

-The guy is irreplaceable in Dimmu and the band will never recover from that. Also, Mustis was one of the main composers and the last album shows how much he put into Dimmu's songwriting.

-I think Garm did a job so good than no one, even Vortex have been able to replace him effectively. While I still love Sideshow Symphonies, Vortex can't reach the level Garm portrayed, especially after the flawless The Sham Mirrors.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 am 

Scar Symmetry comes to mind. Christian Alvestam has proven to be irreplaceable as a singer. The band hired two vocalists to replace him. The band is nowhere near as impressive as they were with Alvestam.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 am 

I don't know if anyone will top Mark Greenings drumming in Electric Wizard.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:47 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
(well, DMDS was written and arranged also by Snorre which IS a genius)

Going off-topic, but did he really have that big an influence on the album? I always hear this, but I've never seen any substantiated evidence on it. Considering that at least half of it was more or less done by 1990 when Mayhem played four of the tracks more or less in the shape they would appear on the album on the Live in Leipzing album, I'm not sure how much Snorre actually had to do with the writing of the album.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 am 

HydroDrone wrote:
I don't know if anyone will top Mark Greenings drumming in Electric Wizard.

You might be pleased to know that he may well very be returning to the band!

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:33 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Nah, if Cliff were to be alive, they only could have got slower and lighter faster than they did. From the 4, Cliff was by a mile the 'less' metal influenced musician; he brought the 'ballads', the acoustic stuff, Orion, etc. He was a very good bassist but Jason was way more metal oriented. Sadly, neither the fans nor the band gave him the chance to make much contributions, but I think Blackened alone is a great example to show what Metallica could have made if Newsted was more involved into the songwriting. Still, the gigs with Jason had way more energy, the guy sweated metal and his backing vocals and stage presence were already enough to make the shows completely awesome.

In fact, I think Trujillo can't fill Jason's shoes: the guy can play but he doesn't has the same or a similar brutal stage presence. Hey, today's Metallica's shows are incredibly lazy compared with the ones over a decade ago.

I don't really know who wrote this and that in Metallica in the early days. It's maybe true that Cliff wrote all the lighter stuff, but he was very good at making room for himself in the faster numbers as well. Kind of agree with Jason on this one though. If the bass wasn't turned so down on ...and Justice, it would have been one helluva album.

super_ruben09
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 am 

Dave Holland replacing Les Binks comes to mind. I get that Priest were going for a simpler style, but getting a drummer that couldn't properly play some of their older material seemed like a bad idea. Scott Travis is a much better replacement in that regard, I don't like him nearly as much as Les (or Simon Philips for that matter), but at least he's technically proficient enough.

Pretty much ANY drummer that played in Mercyful Fate after Kim Ruzz. Ruzz was insanely good, both his style and technique were amazing. Some of MF's 90s output is pretty decent, but I feel like In The Shadows could've been much more with Ruzz behind the kit. The same goes for Manilla Road/Randy Foxe (I'm interested in seeing how Neudi will do though).

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:34 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
(well, DMDS was written and arranged also by Snorre which IS a genius)

Going off-topic, but did he really have that big an influence on the album? I always hear this, but I've never seen any substantiated evidence on it. Considering that at least half of it was more or less done by 1990 when Mayhem played four of the tracks more or less in the shape they would appear on the album on the Live in Leipzing album, I'm not sure how much Snorre actually had to do with the writing of the album.

From what I know, the first thing was that Snorre gave Euro a lot of riffs to work, as early as the time of the Live in Leipzig - if not before. Then, after Dead's passing and the preparations for DMDS, Snorre arranged the remaining lyrics and songs (in fact, you can check this since the earlier incarnations of the tracks are not exactly the same than the DMDS versions), also writing the rest of the stuff (with Euro) which lead to complete the other half of the album (If I remember well, the title track was mostly, if not completely written by him). Attila also has stated that Snorre recorded most of the rythmic guitars (although he was a 'hired gun' at the time, he was present over the recording process). For me, sounds like Snorre was a huge factor in what the album is.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:53 pm 

Jeff Young replacing Chris Poland in Megadeth after Peace Sells moving into the SFSGSW "era" would qualify because Poland was originally a jazz guitarist and brought that sound in to Killing Is My Business and Peace Sells and (IMHO) perfectly complimented Mustaine's guitar playing better than any guitarist since.

Not sure if Dio leaving/getting fired from Rainbow would qualify as Joe Lynn Turner did an okay enough job replacing him, despite being less memorable for want of a better word.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 pm 

Derek Roddy being replaced by Jade Simonetto in Hate Eternal. Roddy was irreplaceable because of how diverse and unique his style of playing is, and Jade's style is anything but diverse and unique. His style is literally just blasting and double bass and almost nothing more. The drums on the last two Hate Eternal records have suffered greatly compared to Roddy's drumming on I, Monarch and King of All Kings, and even compared to Tim Yeung's on the debut.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:21 pm 

super_ruben09 wrote:
Dave Holland replacing Les Binks comes to mind. I get that Priest were going for a simpler style, but getting a drummer that couldn't properly play some of their older material seemed like a bad idea. Scott Travis is a much better replacement in that regard, I don't like him nearly as much as Les (or Simon Philips for that matter), but at least he's technically proficient enough.

Good to see some Les Binks appreciation!

Creepy Holland was indeed a shitty replacement.

However, I like Scott Travis. The guy has the chops and if new Priest material is more straightforward and less dynamic, it's because the band wants it that way.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:02 pm 

Les Binks and Simon Philips were the two best drummers Priest had, and they'd always be difficult to replace. To be honest, Scott Travis mightn't be as good a drummer as them, but he's certainly a quite skilled one.

While it's not a metal example, Freddie Mercury of Queen was irreplaceable given the fact that not only was he a fantastic frontman, he was also a great songwriter, with Bohemian Rhapsody being one example.

Phil Demmel replacing Ahrue Luster as lead guitarist of Machine Head helped dramatically improve the caliber of MH's material, and Demmel is a very good lead player too, as his work in Vio-Lence pretty much signifies

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:20 pm 

Stu Bloc more or less makes Barlow and Ripper moot. He's both in one, and that's awesome. Dystopia is hands down their best since Horror Show (although imo better)

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:48 pm 

In my opinion John Bush did an awful job replacing Belladonna, some of the worst/most boring thrash songs ever came from that Anthrax era . I guess I just hate Bush´s voice for no reason and widely prefer anything from Joey´s time.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:58 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
In my opinion John Bush did an awful job replacing Belladonna, some of the worst/most boring thrash songs ever came from that Anthrax era . I guess I just hate Bush´s voice for no reason and widely prefer anything from Joey´s time.

Yeah because Bush wrote all those terrible songs. Oh wait, Charlie wrote them all.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 pm 

IanThrash wrote:

They weren't thrash with Bush. They were grunge influenced groove metal.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:54 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Derek Roddy being replaced by Jade Simonetto in Hate Eternal. Roddy was irreplaceable because of how diverse and unique his style of playing is, and Jade's style is anything but diverse and unique. His style is literally just blasting and double bass and almost nothing more. The drums on the last two Hate Eternal records have suffered greatly compared to Roddy's drumming on I, Monarch and King of All Kings, and even compared to Tim Yeung's on the debut.

Good call. Roddy is vastly superior to the boring Simonetto. Your description of Simonetto`s drumming is spot on.

I would say that Tchort`s replacement by Gujic on Blood Red Throne was a bad one. Blood Red Throne put out some consistently good material, minus maybe Come Death, but Brutalitarian Regime sucked. Maybe it wasn`t entirely his fault but the riffs and songs were boring. There were no solos, no nice bass parts, and not as many time changes, which were staples of their earlier stuff. Maybe it is to early and I am just distraught.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 pm 

IanThrash wrote:

Just think of it as a separate band.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next