Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 am 

Post black metal band Fen is going to release a new album this month, called "Dustwalker". A pre-order is available and if you purchase the album you will receive it in a few days. It comes in a somekind of digipack-box wth a nice metal pendant with the bands logo.

A first single called "Consequence" can be listened, its a quite dark and straightforward song with the obvious post-rock influences, in my opinion its a brilliant album opener. But be careful because the album itself is not so straightforward, though its darker and rawer than "Epoch" there a lot of moments of post-rock influences and calm. Anyway, the more I listen to it the more I like it because this album needs a few listens before you start to really appreciate it.

Opinions?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 am 

It leaked ages ago but I haven't listened to it yet, Epoch sucked, so I'm intrigued to see if they can bring back the quality of the debut.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:58 am 

The single was great but I remember their vocalist wails excessively in some parts. I heard it a couple of weeks ago, I'll have to hear it again.

Their first album and EP are really good, but the few tracks I heard off of Epoch dragged their feet. Consequence sounds like a step in the right direction.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am 

I liked Epoch, not so much as a black metal album but as... whatever it is. Post-rock with growling? I might have to pre-order this new one.

Ancient Sorrow is still my favorite by them.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 pm 

Can anyone post a link to the single in here? Might be helpful.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 am 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
Can anyone post a link to the single in here? Might be helpful.

Here you have. :)

http://soundcloud.com/fen-uk

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 am 

They tried to combine the "rawness" of Ancient Sorrow and Malediction Fields with the Post Rock of Epoch but unfortunately, its not as good as any of the aforementioned Albums/EP. Instead its quite inconsistent, some parts are very good, others are "meh". Overall its a good listen if you like Black Metal mixed with Post Rock.
If you hated Epoch there's a very good chance you're going to hate this too.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
They tried to combine the "rawness" of Ancient Sorrow and Malediction Fields with the Post Rock of Epoch but unfortunately, its not as good as any of the aforementioned Albums/EP. Instead its quite inconsistent, some parts are very good, others are "meh". Overall its a good listen if you like Black Metal mixed with Post Rock.
If you hated Epoch there's a very good chance you're going to hate this too.

I haven't heard Dustwalker yet, but what you stated above has always been my problem with Fen. Some parts/songs of their albums are brilliant, while others are totally dull. I keep thinking one of these days they'll get it right and release something really special, but who knows.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
It leaked ages ago but I haven't listened to it yet, Epoch sucked, so I'm intrigued to see if they can bring back the quality of the debut.

It was even worse than the debut? I'm glad I never got tangled up with that; the debut was already immensely disappointing.

I've been a listener of the band since the EP, which I though was incredibly promising. I foresaw a bright future for the band, but they really failed my expectations.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:08 pm 

I really liked the debut, I'd rank it nearly as high as White Tomb in this whole post rock meets black thing, haven't seen too many people be negative towards that one actually.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 pm 

Evoken wrote:
I keep thinking one of these days they'll get it right and release something really special, but who knows.

I'm beginning to doubt that, although I think the debut is brilliant.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I really liked the debut, I'd rank it nearly as high as White Tomb in this whole post rock meets black thing, haven't seen too many people be negative towards that one actually.

White Tomb was great but the next one is even better, perhaps because it sound smore close to black metal and it skipped most of the drone influences. It simply a post black metal masterpiece.

I admit that Dustwalker is not perfect but has some brilliant moments, and the album is quite good expect the first 3 minutes of the third or fourth song( they sound out of place, almost pop!). And I only miss a faster and rawer song in the middle of the album to add some speed and strenght.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 am 

White Tomb doesn't really fuse black metal and post-rock. Influence of the latter is apparent, but it doesn't really go hand in hand with the other more prominent elements.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:19 am 

Mammal was poop, and White Tomb was fantastic so I don't give a shit what the breakdown of the genre to.genre ratio was.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 am 

Well, at least we agree in something, the tags are not important, if you like an album you like it and thats all.

What about the EP? It was great too. It brings me good memories because I bought it when a saw the band playing, the concert was in an awful latin pub but though this it was a great night.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:05 pm 

I am excited for this. I thought epoch was excellent, though I wasn't totally on board with the more post rock direction they took on the latest split ep. Very curious to hear this nonetheless.

Reply to topic