Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 pm 

Hmm... I have a strange thought about it. It's not bad per se, but sounds, like, by the numbers or too safe. The drums are mostly boring, the production is actually better than I expected; Geezer's bass is pretty audible but sounds like a gurgle and the riffs are what you might expect, but it's nothing spectacular. Sounds like rehashed, like if Rubin said Tony to pick ol songs/riffs and tweak them a bit just to make sure it won't be sounding exactly like the original track but to get the nostalgia feeling right.

The track's direction was also weird, it went nowhere, the beginning was utterly boring.

Ozzy is the weirdest of all; he doesn't sound too obviously autotuned but he doesn't sound natural either, the autotune was used wisely here I guess and well, Ozzy's lines are quite average, the safest as possible and devoided of any creeping feeling.

The Devil You Know's weakest track had much more balls and life than this.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:02 pm 

I quite enjoyed that. 2nd half is better than the first half, but the first half is still pretty good. Only thing that bugged me really was Ozzy's voice is a bit too loud.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:07 pm 

The robotic voice saying "I heart radio on demand" every so often was an odd choice for the first single, but whatever.

In seriousness, I like it. It's not blowing me away by any means, but it's the best thing I've heard Ozzy's voice on in quite a long time. His voice itself actually sounds a lot better than it has in a while as well. I still have a lot of hope for this album.

brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:09 pm 

I think if the song was cut to about 5 and a half minutes or so it would have been much better. The first half of the song just kind of drags along.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 pm 

I really like this personally and it sounds like more or less exactly what I expected. The riffs remind me of what Iommi was playing on Fused and The Devil You Know while the editing on Ozzy's voice isn't as obvious as usual. I'm curious to see what the rest of the album sounds like though it wouldn't surprise me if this track wasn't the only one with this structure.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 pm 

That was OK. Ozzy's voice was...well, about what I expected really, but I think my problem was that it just wasn't catchy at all. His voice can be fine if he's given really, really hooky vocal lines to sing, but here there largely weren't any. I loved the production, and the guitar work was pretty cool dissonant/atmospheric picking followed by some pretty fucking crushing riffing - but even that was clearly not Iommi's best, mostly just average for him. And it was mostly just too long.

So, final verdict, I liked the production better than the real song. Hoping for better tunes on the album.

edit: And yeah, really shit lyrics, too. Shame.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 pm 

Hmmm... it's OK, I guess.

I get the same slightly monotonous vibe I got from The Devil You know, which is disappointing. It's not that this stuff is bad. It's decent heavy metal but considering they are legends, you always expect more.

The quieter moments in the first part of the song reminded me a little of Black Oblivion, a track Iommi did on his first solo album with Billy Corgan.

I guess at this stage, you can't expect truly adventurous stuff and a little self-referencing is cool.

Also... Ozzy doesn't sound that bad here and the vocal processing is done well but I agree his place in the mix is wrong. I'd like them a little more behind and cavernous.

All in all, I remain convinced they should have done it in a few days with lots of imperfection and a more stripped-down production like in the old days.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 pm 

Huh, it's not bad, but it's not really what I expected/wanted. Just weird that the verses are so bland, then it picks up with the riffs every now and then. I think they could have done more with it, especially with the length. The production isn't bad, though, and Ozzy sounds better than I expected, so I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:35 pm 

It was alright, but it meanders a little too long in the first section. This could be cut down by two minutes and be a much stronger song.
Hehe, foreskins.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:38 pm 

Great groove to the end of the song, decent riffs if not weaker than his past work. The song more or less was in the same vein of Heaven and Hell, I guess Ozzy sounds a little better than his hyper-nasal solo shit. Not bad overall, but Ozzy as usual is the weak link.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

hunglikemouse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:48 pm 

Not bad actually but like others have mentioned it could have been edited down a bit. Bass sounds amazing! Somebody above said it sounded bad but I strongly disagree.

EDIT to add
Now that I read Kveldulfr's post,it's hard to understand anything he was trying to convey so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering his broken english.

Last edited by hunglikemouse on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm 

Some parts of the last minute were okay. Otherwise it's not catchy at all, it's boring, and I don't give two toots who hearts radio on demand, that shit's uber-annoying. I was at least expecting a decent Iommi riff in this, not some run-by-the-numbers tripe. At least it's just the first single, right? Things are bound to get better...

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 pm 

whiteshark761 wrote:
The robotic voice saying "I heart radio on demand" every so often was an odd choice for the first single, but whatever.

In seriousness, I like it. It's not blowing me away by any means, but it's the best thing I've heard Ozzy's voice on in quite a long time. His voice itself actually sounds a lot better than it has in a while as well. I still have a lot of hope for this album.

I think that was because of the website or radio stream where it was heard first; it's probably so that song pirates are discouraged from downloading it before release. I've heard a similar thing with Decapitated's Day 69.

Aside from that, I actually really like it! Sounds pretty old-school with a slightly modern twist. Very heavy, good riffs too! Black Sabbath are back!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 pm 

It's completely generic, I mean it's not bad but it's really not exciting at all. It sounds boring and tired and it's overlong.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm 

I was hoping for a classic Iommi solo somewhere in the 9 minute song. It didn't happen.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:32 pm 

You guys are high. I think it's a fantastic song.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
You guys are high. I think it's a fantastic song.

This.

Although I kinda think a solo would've made it better. Still good though.

Also in terms of the lyrics. I don't think they were the best but at least he wasn't yelling "I don't wanna stop."

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:48 pm 

Revs up nicely by about the 6 minute mark, which unfortunately is beyond the time many people would have lost interest anyway

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 pm 

I enjoyed it. It's nothing to set the world on fire, but it's a fun track. It is too long of rit's own good, I'll admit. Lyrics are are kind of generic "Sould Searching" themed. Still, from a band that hasn't worked together on new material in over 30 years, they sound really good.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:15 pm 

It needs more Iommi riffing and less meandering with Ozzy whining over it. I hope the other songs are more riff-heavy, because Iommi is the best part of Sabbath by far. The song would have been better if it was just the second half, really.

And I can't be the only one that thinks Dio would have sounded better on this track.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:20 pm 

The bass sound is really cool. Very loose sounding, and groovy, which I can enjoy. The vocals sound okay, I guess. I haven't heard anything from Ozzy's solo career, so I can't compare to what his vocals are like since the 70's, but they don't sound too bad here. The riffs sound pretty good, especially from the halfway mark onward.

Not sure what that "I heart radio on demand" thing is meant to be. Sounds really fucking retarded and out of place and just... who's idea was that? It's just stupid.

I quite liked it. The riffs and the bass are probably the highlights for me. Vocals are okay, but a little average. I'll agree the first half dragged a little, though I can see they were going for the title track (Black Sabbath) feel there.

Also, wow. Geezer Butler has fucking aged fantastically. He doesn't look 40!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
Not sure what that "I heart radio on demand" thing is meant to be. Sounds really fucking retarded and out of place and just... who's idea was that? It's just stupid.

That was the premiere source's doing, not Sabbath's. As someone mentioned earlier, it's an audio watermark so as to deter piraters from downloading the song. The track on the album and for download obviously won't have it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:35 pm 

[quote="Subrick"That was the premiere source's doing, not Sabbath's. As someone mentioned earlier, it's an audio watermark so as to deter piraters from downloading the song. The track on the album and for download obviously won't have it.[/quote]

I see. Good to hear then. It was my main gripe with the song, so knowing it actually isn't a part of the song it certainly a relief.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:40 pm 

I dig the song. The lyrics are occasionally cheesy and Ozzy isn't at his best (although it's a hell of a lot better than his recent solo albums). However, his vocals aren't all bad, and instrumentally this is great, a classic doom feel and the 9 minutes doesn't overstay it's welcome. I was a bit skeptical before hearing this song, but now I'm excited about the album.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:40 pm 

Better quality version at 53:20 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Osbourne/

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:03 pm 

hunglikemouse wrote:
Not bad actually but like others have mentioned it could have been edited down a bit. Bass sounds amazing! Somebody above said it sounded bad but I strongly disagree.

EDIT to add
Now that I read Kveldulfr's post,it's hard to understand anything he was trying to convey so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt considering his broken english.

Basically the song is underwhelming. It's kinda dull for Like 6 minutes with Ozzy providing a very boring performance, layered and autotuned once again but less annoyingly than his solo stuff.

The song does nothing but exist. It's not terrible but nothing to be excited/ interested either. If 13 goes like this, TDYN will be the last worthy sabbath album.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:04 pm 

I'll agree the intro could be better, but sabbath has done worse. The rest of the riffs really kick ass. All in all though Ozzy's voice totally fucks everything up. Also the mix is terrible. I hope it's just the low quality mp3 distortion here making it sound so bad. I really don't even think it's fair to judge this song yet based on the quality and also the stupid "IHEARTRADIOONDEMAND" voice over.... But I'm still on the fence.

Edit: Okay, listened to the high quality version. Does sound a little bit better, and I'm sure in context of the whole album it will sound right. But the ending had that kick-ass riff come in, followed by another completely dumb one. Seeing as how creative Iommi got on TDYK, I have a feeling he's holding back with some of the writing here.

Also, that solo. What the.... why....

Last edited by CF_Mono on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 pm 

Godis actually dead. If he was alive, he wouldn't have allowed such an abomination.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:52 pm 

Great song.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 pm 

official version is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfUimq2KeI

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 pm 

I liked everything honestly. The guitars, vocals, drumming, bass lines, production, song structure.. Liked it better than the Heaven and Hell debut.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:44 am 

It's an analogy for the modern age and etc. etc.

The vocals were fairly grating, but I didn't really mind the lyrics much, at least until the faster section at the end. That part just felt like a somewhat cynical rehashing of the similar structure of their self-titled track, something which I'm fairly sure they do fairly regularly at this point. Still, when it comes to the lyrics, I was expecting worse, and the same probably applies to the vocals but without saying as much. At the same time, some of these riffs seem to be a fairly clear case of Black Sabbath ripping themselves off, which is a slightly strange interpretation of going back to their roots, and hopefully that kind of thing is less common on the non-single tracks. Still, it seems like a good enough song, and judging by track titles this song was probably the biggest hurdle, so it shouldn't be too bad an album in the end.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 am 

My first impression is it's a bit dirge-like, and not in a good way. I feel like I could fall asleep to this.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 am 

Didn't impress me much. That acoustic part drags on forever, and Ozzy just rambles something over it like the drunkard he is. Okay, there's some groove towards the end, but it doesn't save this song.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 am 

I think this song is great!

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:16 am 

Well, I don't really heart radio, on demand or otherwise. :D

MEH.

Pretty much sums it up. I basically agree with the consensus above. This isn't shitty, it's not a stain on Sabbath's mighty legacy or whatever, but it has no added value. It's a mishmash of a few classic Sabbath moments each revisited in a stripped-down, minimalistic fashion. The source material, so to speak, is closer to 'Mob Rules' than it is anything from the 70s, except for the "Hole in the sky" bit, of course. It drags on and on and on and far outlstays its welcome. Also, as one guy pointed out, there is no fucking solo! I can't believe my ears. No solo would be a problem even for a 3 minute song, but that thing is like 45 minute long and they still didn't find time for some Iommi soloing goodness? :ugh:

And yeah, the production is okay. Too loud, but I wasn't expecting it to sound like 'Volume IV', so it's fine.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 am 

sounds good!

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 am 

The track as a whole is quite generic and I don't see it having much replay due to lack of hooks of any kind. Ozzy's voice is too loud, the lyrics make it a bit cringe-worthy, and Ozzy's voice clashes with everything else... Loving the bass sound with the production, and while I am still excited for the rest of the album, this is a very dissapointing single. The song has no climax, instead just spinning into monotony.
Pretty much just echoing the sentiments of the rest here though.

DarkStep01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:12 am 

I like it, Ozzy's voice is obviously altered but it's done right. Not like the horrible noise I heard from "Black Rain".

It's nothing mindblowing or anything, just another good Sabbath track in their vast library. I am sure this won't even be the best song on 13 anyway.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 am 

LegendMaker wrote:
Also, as one guy pointed out, there is no fucking solo! I can't believe my ears. No solo would be a problem even for a 3 minute song, but that thing is like 45 minute long and they still didn't find time for some Iommi soloing goodness? :ugh:

Are you sure?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next