Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 am 

I'm sure everyone has chimed in on this but I just want to put my two cents in.

I am a bit disappointed in this album and I kind of blame Rick Rubin because this is what he wanted them to do. It's harmless. It's stale. It's as predictable as any pop album. I know when Iommi is going to go to a fast riff. I know what Ozzy is going to say before he says it. It's seriously Sabbath going through the runs. Back in the day they were just playing and writing. I feel they are aware of doom metal, the impact they made and instead of trying something a bit different they went through a god damn checklist. Some songs are good but one should just listen to the older stuff since its the same thing.

I don't really see a reason for this.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:33 pm 

I still need to listen to this. Anyone hear the bonus tracks off the deluxe edition? They any good?

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:07 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
I still need to listen to this. Anyone hear the bonus tracks off the deluxe edition? They any good?

Listen to all four bonus tracks and I think that all deserved to including in the album.
I prefer that 4 bonus to some 'official' songs.

"You make it easy."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:09 am 

Couldn't bring myself to listen passed the fourth song. Total drivel.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:32 am 

It would have been nice to have Bill Ward on the album and Geezer's bass is not as driven but all in all I really like this record. Glad to hear Ozzy brought his A-game to the proceedings. I doubt most people would prefer another solo album of his to this.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:49 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Glad to hear Ozzy brought his A-game to the proceedings. I doubt most people would prefer another solo album of his to this.

Ozzy did bad. His voice I can understand but the lyrics are so bad. I only care about lyrics if I can actually decipher them and the ones on here were dull and lifeless.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:16 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:

They're insultingly good.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:18 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Ozzy did bad. His voice I can understand but the lyrics are so bad. I only care about lyrics if I can actually decipher them and the ones on here were dull and lifeless.

From the interviews, I gather that Geezer wrote many if not most of the lyrics.

While nothing special, I thought they were pretty decent.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Once again I reiterate....the two tracks Iommi cut with Ian Gillan for WhoCares were fucking awesome. WAY MORE IN LINE with what I was expecting after TDYK - which I thought was massively disappointing just because I swear by Dehumanizer. It has grown on me since but only a few tracks. The two songs from WhoCares though....stellar, just fucking great.
I enjoyed pretty much all Iommi, Iommi/Martin (under the name Black Sabbath), Iommi/Hughes (including 7th Star) and Iommi/Gillan (Who Cares + Born Again), all Sabbath with Ozzy before 1979, and all Sabbath with Dio (including the band known as Heaven and Hell).

But this album, 13, no, I don't really enjoy. I can listen to it and be mildly entertained by thoughts such as "Oh, a bit from Planet Caravan.. Oh, here comes Snowblind now, where is my Volume 4 CD ?. Do I really know all songs from Never Say Die! ? Perhaps Technical Ecstacy wasn't so bad after all, I should give it another listen." Etc. So yes, I can listen to 13, but really, it's not great. As much as Forbidden seemed out of place, sterile and unnecessary, this one feels calculated and lifeless. Others have said it better, I won't repeat.

The greatest latest thing Iommi has done is Out of My Mind with Who Cares, and there's also Jon Lord on it.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 pm 

ArcticSwarm wrote:
There were a couple of songs on Eternal Idol that could have been on a cock rock record. Was Tony being honest then, or was he doing that shit because it was popular at the time?
He was doing that shit partly because he enjoyed that kind of music, and partly because it was the thing to do to even hope at making some kind of money.

I don't think Iommi listens to St. Vitus, old Trouble and Pentagram when he gets home. In the 70s he was heavily into Queen, and his favorite singers in the 80s were Deep Purple and Rainbow singers. He's probably in some jazz too, and some other things that musicians his age like, but I'm sure the music he was making in the mid-eighties was closer to what he listened to at the time than the music he's making since Headless Cross under the names Black Sabbath and Heaven and Hell.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:39 am 

memorable for pre-release hype, it also made the charts, past that, utterly forgotten at this point

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:05 am 

I don't know, I've been listening to this for about a week now. I kind of like it.

I think the first 2 songs *really* evoke other Sabbath tunes. The 2nd half of the record is more where they stretch out a bit.

I'd like to hear the bonus tracks.

Rubin's production is predictable and uninteresting.

Some of the lyrics are nonsense. Some are a little better.

I still like Iommi's riffs. I *always* like Iommi's riffs, even if some of them are a re-hash of older stuff.

It's not going to make its way into the pantheon of great Black Sabbath, but given that I never thought I would ever hear this, I'll take it. And I enjoy it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17