* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 am 

shwartzheim wrote:
New Aeternus disc next month.

New song sucked pretty hard, not a good place to put your hopes.

gravemaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 am 

Great Album By Devourment, it will kick your ass!!

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 am 

The new Rorcal is devastating beyond belief. All I'd heard from the band have been half hour long songs which had assloads of dodgy ambiance and extended periods of "atmospheric stuff" where they'd slam on a note or two and look all clever about having feedback, but this time around its totally different. Sub 10 minute songs with huge helpings grindlike intensity to mix with the sludge and post hardcore stuff, words can't explain how goddamn devastating this is. Unashamed brutality through and through, with some more musical touches between V and VII on offer. Time will tell if the vocals get tiring instead of savage since they're very monotone, and the last six minutes are that atmospheric thump a note stuff I brought up before, but this really did kick me back on my arse, good shit here.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Primitive Man's debut is outrageously good.

That is for fucking fact, I wish it'd come out on cd already. I have the vinyl.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 am 

Mechina's Empyrean was the most amazing amalgamation of industrial death metal and the best synthesised orchestra I have ever heard. I was right to greatly anticipate this. Released on 01 January 2013, they have set the bar insanely high this year for metal albums in general from the very get-go. One of the few albums that is dangerous for me to start playing because I will inevitably spend the next hour or so listening to everything on it, even if I had other things planned. :P

Cult of Luna's Vertikal, however, is not to be disregarded. Post-metal isn't "dying", per se, but, like doom in general, it can get a little overblown, and I find myself less obsessed with it these days. But these guys... let's just say, to put it lightly, that they continue to be more than relevant.

And how can I forget my namesake? Omnium Gatherum's Beyond is a stunning piece of art and I was smart to take a break from work to get to the post office on time and then play it as soon as I got home. A lot of elder melodeath bands (that is, a lot of those older than a decade) seem to be taking the progressive route and who better to stand as one of the leaders than they? I adopted this username on other mediums years ago. I am overjoyed that I have made a wise decision. :P

I'll get around to Eternal Tears of Sorrow's Saivon Lapsi once I've had some sleep.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 am 

I know I'm making like every second post in this thread, but Krypts is surprisingly interesting. The production hinders it a lot, as the eerie higher tones are ridiculosuly buried under the lower notes, but other than that it's an interesting listen, with a good ear for being creepy, in much more overwhelming and dreary ways than the typical Finndeath series of a few jangly notes, not to mention that every song has something unique about it, so every song is actually different from one another. The far too murky and low end loaded production will keep this off my best of list most likely, but it's definitely something worthwhile for people who are into this whole new OSDM thing. It's one of the better ones, and possibly DDR's best (Unless you count Vorum).

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm 

You really think that each song is that different from the next? My main criticism of that album is its lack of "change", be it in the dynamics employed or in riff/structural similarities.

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm 

I have no problem with neither song writing nor the production on Krypt's debut. I think it is probably my favorite release in the OSDM style this year.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm 

DEATHCRUSH

Death metal the brutal way, in the vein of Hate Eternal, Nile, Behemoth... look at this:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deathcrus ... 5834192188

"You make it easy."

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:51 pm 

androdion wrote:
You really think that each song is that different from the next? My main criticism of that album is its lack of "change", be it in the dynamics employed or in riff/structural similarities.

Maybe not different overall, but each song has some uniquely identifiable section that is noticebly different from the others, whether it's riff wise or related to one of the lead parts, it can be a bit buried underneath the production though.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 pm 

Alright, so, the new Wormed leaked a few days ago and I just got around to hearing it tonight. As much as I love the new Defeated Sanity, Exodromos might just blow it completely out of the water. I mean, holy shit. There seems to have been some good brutal DM releases of late but fuck, no one is on Wormed's level. The whole album is just ridiculous. Well worth the long wait.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:05 am 

morfumax wrote:
I have no problem with neither song writing nor the production on Krypt's debut. I think it is probably my favorite release in the OSDM style this year.

Not all bands in death metal focus on riffs and blastbeats. Krypts is one of them, and they focus more an creating a crushing atmosphere which they have done very well on their debut.

As for topic, my favorite releases in Death metal so far are (in order) :- Krypts, Sacriphyx, Vorum, Tribulation, Brutality, Symptom, Supuration, Suffocation, Tyrant Goatgaldrakona, Sacriphyx (Compilation), Convulse, Portal and Centurian. Those releases will get multiple listens, while releases by Necrowretch, Denouncement Pyre, Sorcery etc are worth a listen or two.

In Doom metal my favs have been (in order) - Magic Circle, Atomic Cries, Bong, Caskets Open, Caskets Open, Tentacle, Head Of The Demon, Stonehenge, Weed Priest, Egypt, Salem and Satori Junk.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:48 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Alright, so, the new Wormed leaked a few days ago and I just got around to hearing it tonight. As much as I love the new Defeated Sanity, Exodromos might just blow it completely out of the water. I mean, holy shit. There seems to have been some good brutal DM releases of late but fuck, no one is on Wormed's level. The whole album is just ridiculous. Well worth the long wait.

Great to hear! While I enjoy the new Defeated Sanity, it did fall a little short of my expectations. New Wormed is something that could definitely fill in the gaps and more.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:39 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
I need to check out the entire new Guttural Secrete. I really enjoyed the clean guitar and the more chordy riffs on "Deadened Prior To Coitus", do these riffs appear more often on the album?

Yes. The entire album is filled with riff after quality riff. There's a lot to like about this album.

The new Wormed is excellent.

The new Devourment left a lot to be desired.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 pm 

New Dream Death is great. A progression of A Journey Into Mystery.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
morfumax wrote:
In Doom metal my favs have been (in order) - Magic Circle, Atomic Cries, Bong, Caskets Open, Caskets Open, Tentacle, Head Of The Demon, Stonehenge, Weed Priest, Egypt, Salem and Satori Junk.

Great taste, man. You definitely know the good stuff. Magic Circle is awesome and I cannot wait to see them live. Tentacle is refreshing compared to the later releases of Ice Dragon which aren't very good. I'll need to check Head of the Demon and the new Caskets Open demo, their debut album was cool.

I liked the new Ocean Chief but I have to check it out more. You guys should check Damnations Hammer, I wrote a review for them recently and I featured them on the M-A facebook page, cool stuff.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:12 am 

Thanks for the rec. Lovecraftian Doom death ? seems awesome, will check out asap, but currently cant get enough of Dream Death, if yuo liked their debut you'll love this.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:28 am 

Wormed: Exodromos is damn good. Technical brutal death with the emphasis on technical. Damn interesting and amazing. Besides that one, Katalepsy: Autopsychosis, Defeated Sanity: Passages Into Deformity, Guttural Secrete: Nourishing The Spoil, and Suffocation: Pinnacle Of Bedlam are my clear favorites this year so far. Amazing start to 2013!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 am 

Once again, only brutal death metal :lol:

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:35 am 

He's a brutal guy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 am 

The new Soilwork is awesome. Heavy as hell, technical and complex and the songs have awesome choruses and propulsive melodies. The vocals are great and the songwriting is fiery and ambitious.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:05 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The new Soilwork is awesome. Heavy as hell, technical and complex and the songs have awesome choruses and propulsive melodies. The vocals are great and the songwriting is fiery and ambitious.

Come again?!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm 

Opus wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Come again?!

It really is. It's in my current top 2013 list. It's the best they have done in years.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:08 pm 

Yup. Wasn't familiar with them before, but this album caught my eye, so I checked them out. There's really no trace of mallcore anything in the vocals, which are much gruffer and more shouty rather than screamo-esque in the harsh bits, and while the choruses are poppy as hell, they're very meticulously done, and don't feel at all like they're pandering. The songwriting is pretty hyperactive at times (lots of leads and riffs going on all at once), but what's surprising is how focused and serious it all is. I notice new things every time I play it and songs stick in my head more and more each time, which is the mark of a seriously good album in my books. Bit overlong, sure, but I really admire the ambition in this.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yup.

Haha, I really couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not.
The poppy choruses is what I don't like. Not because they are poppy, but because it doesn't fit with the rest of the aggressive testosterone displays. Be consistent!

If you're not familiar with Soilwork (how?), check out A Predator's Portrait from 2001, great album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4TxKwYJRjI
Their first three albums are great, then they went mallcore.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 pm 

I think it's interesting. They do it really well. The only other album I heard, Natural Born Chaos, was pretty damn good as well.

Check out the new one for sure though.

dmforever1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 pm 

I must say the album im looking forward to is the new album from death metal icons Suffocation "Pinnacle of Bedlam". I listened to the album trailer today all i have to say is that suffocation haven't failed yet in my opinion.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 pm 

I'm digging the new Thyrfing. It's got really good production and I really enjoy the bass presence. My only complaint is the vocalist has a really annoying whine to some of his screams, dude sounds like a fucking pony.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
I'm digging the new Thyrfing. It's got really good production and I really enjoy the bass presence. My only complaint is the vocalist has a really annoying whine to some of his screams, dude sounds like a fucking pony.

Totally forgot this was coming out, thanks for helping me remember!

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm 

Imperium Dekadenz new album. Trademark sound from the band, continuing from "Procella Vadens".
Been listening to it as much as possible while the full album stream is available http://www.terrorizer.com/2013/03/08/imperium-dekadenz-full-album-stream/

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Imperium Dekadenz new album. Trademark sound from the band, continuing from "Procella Vadens".
Been listening to it as much as possible while the full album stream is available http://www.terrorizer.com/2013/03/08/imperium-dekadenz-full-album-stream/

I've not given this a lot of listens but from the little I've heard, I already think its better than "Procella Vadens". I only enjoyed that album in bits but the compositions on "Meadows of Nostalgia" are much better so far. Its no "Dammerung Der Szenarien" though

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:25 pm 

There is this new Psychedelic Sludge band from Italy called Nibiru. They released their debut Caosgon earlier this year. Nothing that'll knock your socks off but is an entertaining listen and original.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:45 pm 

I recommend the new In Vain album Ænigma. It's basically a progressive death metal album with some melodeath and black metal elements thrown in. It has some acoustic parts and both clean and harsh vocals.

Official album teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y89qydw-iM

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:28 pm 

Funny you mention In Vain, I was just checking this out yesterday. It seems like a pretty cool album. I'll probably pick it up after a better listen. Artwork is weird though, don't really get it... I guess it's an enigma. :boo:

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Tentacle is refreshing compared to the later releases of Ice Dragon which aren't very good.

I disagree about the later Ice Dragon releases. The Soul's Midnight is fantastic and all of the albums they released last year are very, very good.

Anywho, I just reviewed the new Intronaut album, which will be out next week. If you liked Valley of Smoke, you'll like this; it's less heavy overall but the general sound is the same.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Tentacle is refreshing compared to the later releases of Ice Dragon which aren't very good.

I disagree about the later Ice Dragon releases. The Soul's Midnight is fantastic and all of the albums they released last year are very, very good.

Anywho, I just reviewed the new Intronaut album, which will be out next week. If you liked Valley of Smoke, you'll like this; it's less heavy overall but the general sound is the same.

I like all that Ice Dragon has done so far as well, except greybackfalcohawk, or whatever that drone release was.. soul's midnight was decent, looking forward to the full length though

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:39 am 

Checked out the new Gutteral Secrete tonight. Score another one for brutal DM. Don't see myself liking it more than some of the releases already discussed, but definitely a pretty crushing, well put together release of its own.

Also listened to the new Horna. It struck me as being a pretty good album, but will need more listens to absorb it.

One album that's really starting to sink in though is Centurian - Contra Rationem. Finding myself wanting to play it more and more. Really well executed Morbid Angel worship, more or less. A lot of it reminds me of Altars and Covenant, which is fucking AWESOME. Super fast, thick, warm sounding DM done pretty flawlessly. Some of the guitar work has some black metal tinge to it at times as well. Definitely starting to have some staying power with me.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:57 am 

This doom band from UK, called Myopic Empire, released their debut this year. Seems decent enough rock out doom metal with the groove of Place Of Skulls. May appeal to someone like Metatoine.

http://myopicempire.bandcamp.com/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:52 pm 

Black Metal albums already released this year that are great:

The new Horna album. Sounds like Horna, raw black metal with catchy and ugly riffs. The vocals are less shrieky than normal, probably the best they've been.

Sarkrista - The Acheronian Worship. I haven't heard the whole album yet, but what I have heard is awesome. The riffs are just excellent.

Flagellant - Maledictum. This album is really well put together, songs are long and have plenty of slow-fast variations keeping it very interesting. The bass and vocals really stand out on this album also.

Koldbrann - Vertigo. I've seen a number of people talking about it, and it's pretty good. Not as relentless as their earlier releases, but that's not really a bad thing.

Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Necrovsion. I've only listened to it a couple of times, but I like it more than their last album. No real change in their music. If you know this band you know what to expect.

Black Metal albums I'm looking forward to:

Zorn - Gegen Alles. They finally announced a new album and the rough mix of a song they posted is great. Not a lot of people know about this band, but they have been one of my favorites for awhile. http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZORN/110140829012672?id=110140829012672&sk=app_178091127385

Folkvang - New album in summer. If you have not heard his last album "Six Stories Without Keys" check it out, it's a masterpiece.

Svartsyn - Black Testament. Underrated Swedish band, the studio session videos for this upcoming album sound better than ever.

Svarttjern - Don't know the name of the new album yet, I enjoyed their last 2 despite what the reviews on here say. Overall a very aggressive band with more fast/tech drumming than most black metal.

Aosoth - IV: An Arrow in Heart. This band has some great songs, though I have never followed them to much I will definitely check this one out

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:24 pm 

Unbirth - Deracinated Celestial Oligarchy.

Excellent technical brutal death. Similar to Italy's Hatred (from same region) and have some spacey, Suffocation influences. I put this right up there with the new Wormed and Guttural Secrete. Can't play this one enough and stays incredibly interesting after many listens.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next