Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Edit: Wait a Minute, Vorum aren't even on DDR. Probably explains why they're not dull as hell.

I think Vorum's a split release with another label, Woodcut Records if I'm not wrong. I'm digging most of DDR releases though, e.g. Desolate Shrine's album last year was one hell of a record as well.

And also, Koldbrann's Vertigo is probably the first 2013 black metal album that caught my ears. They further expanded their sound, + more presence of lead guitars, yet maintaining that pure Norwegian bm sound.
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 am 

I should try the newest Desolate Shrine, the first one was meh so I skipped it.

i skipped Kodbrann's after trying a couple of songs, it wasn't terrible, just not very interesting or impressive.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:19 am 

New album by Cultes Des Ghoules is pretty cool. Right now I am listening debut by Athelstan, side project of Forefather member(s), it is heavy metal with nice, I'd say "easy-going" and positive atmosphere. Quite pleasant surprise for me, as I am not much into heavy metal and yet I am enjoying it and I had no idea this band exists few mins ago :)
Listen it on their bandcamp http://athelstan.bandcamp.com/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 pm 

New Cultes Des Ghoules sounds interesting, I'm actually listening to Haxan at the moment. Creepy album.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:12 pm 

ld50 wrote:
The new Katalepsy is pretty nuts. I'm not sure if it will have lasting power, for me at least, but it certainly has a strong initial impact with it's production and playing in every department.

Agree. Finally got around to buying, as they had it at my local records store. Damn good album. I really like the overall goodness and variety of the record.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:06 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I should try the newest Desolate Shrine, the first one was meh so I skipped it.

i skipped Kodbrann's after trying a couple of songs, it wasn't terrible, just not very interesting or impressive.

It's not too expensive for a new album, so it's not a bad purchase. I doubt you will love it if the first album didn't tickle your fancy, though.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:20 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
New Cultes Des Ghoules sounds interesting, I'm actually listening to Haxan at the moment. Creepy album.

Yeah, this is sounding pretty massive, some the grooving stuff isn't my thing, but then when they layer over these huge, creepy guitar melodies over the top it rules.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:46 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Yeah, this is sounding pretty massive, some the grooving stuff isn't my thing, but then when they layer over these huge, creepy guitar melodies over the top it rules.

Definitely adding this one to my list then!

thrashtidote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 am 

I've been waiting for the new Krypts record for some time now, and it certainly doesn't disappoint. Also, the new Impious Baptism sounds completely satisfying for fans of Revenge, Blasphemy, etc. So far so good, 2013.

Last fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Arthas829

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 am 

thrashtidote, please edit your signature, it's too large.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

lsid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:19 am 

Based on the positivity in this thread towards the new Abyssal album I thought I would give it a go. After several listens I am pretty impressed. Loving the thick murky evil atmosphere. Will need several more listens to fully appreciate (it's pretty long) but so far so goodd. Went to their store front and it's a pity they don't have any cd's anymore, so went with flac digital download.

Did a little further reading and read an article on Metal Underground saying that this album and their first effort will be reissued through Hellthrasher Productions and Profound Lore Records. Looks like it will also makes it's way onto wax which is always good. The article is below. Cheers for the recommendation guys.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... wsid=88902

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:51 pm 

I'm impatiently awaiting Denmark's best export, Cerekloth - "In the Midst of Life We Are in Death" on Hells Headbangers. Their Halo of Syringes EP was one of the best death metal releases I'd heard in years! So, based on the track HHR posted, the new album is going to be even better. Not your typical "swallow-the-mic and groan" death metal vocals, good production and catchy riffs. I haven't been this excited for a death metal release in a LONG time.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:34 pm 

Couple of things that haven't been mentioned:

1. Ice Dragon have put out a new EP, titled The Soul's Midnight. They're a stoner/doom band from Boston, and all of their material, this EP included, is free to download. It's also some high-quality stuff; this one is very dark and displays a prominent drone influence. The atmosphere is incredible. Highly recommended for all doom fans.

2. The new Riverside album isn't very metal at all, but since they're in the Archives, Shrine of New Generation Slaves is definitely worth a mention as it's possibly the best album Riverside have ever done. It feels like the culmination of each of the past Riverside albums, plus the Lunatic Soul works; it's got atmosphere like those first Riverside albums, but it's less dependent on the synths and in that sense reminds me of Lunatic Soul. It's got a few harder-rocking moments (like the lead single, Celebrity Touch), but the album as a whole doesn't really lean in that direction. And if you can pick up a copy that has the two Night Session bonus tracks, get it - they're great.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:11 pm 

Currently on my second listening of Denouncement Pyre's "Almighty Arcanum" and I'm officially throwing it in the bin of early top album contenders. REALLY well done black/death hybrid ala Watain, but um, maybe better? They're thrashier, more aggressive I'd say, but the melodic bits are pretty swedish and excellent. Really impressed with it so far.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:46 pm 

It's a great year for power metal so far, with strong and consistent releases from Helloween, Stratovarius, and Manilla Road. Of those three, the new Manilla Road is probably my favorite so far.

Ira Divina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:34 am 

Eagerly waiting for Bloodbath, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir and Vital Remains to give us more support.
Seyn Todt in Schwartz!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 am 

MazeofTorment wrote:
Currently on my second listening of Denouncement Pyre's "Almighty Arcanum" and I'm officially throwing it in the bin of early top album contenders. REALLY well done black/death hybrid ala Watain, but um, maybe better? They're thrashier, more aggressive I'd say, but the melodic bits are pretty swedish and excellent. Really impressed with it so far.

I recall it being pretty solid but not amazing, guess I should listen again.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 am 

Cultes Des Ghoules has basically released an album that should fit every top ranking of post-2000 BM. The hype is well justified.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:13 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Cultes Des Ghoules has basically released an album that should fit every top ranking of post-2000 BM. The hype is well justified.

I can't wait for my copy to arrive. I really enjoyed Haxan, and hearing about how good Henbane is has my mouth watering.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:04 pm 

I liked it, but I still feel like they have too much "groove/black", which keeps it out of the top tier. It's not too overwhelming and tacky like Ruins or the last Sear Bliss, but I don't really dig it much. There are some incredible moments though.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:52 pm 

Can black metal not groove? Is that a rule now?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:49 pm 

nosferatu1234 wrote:
I've been enjoying Abyssal's new album quite a bit. http://abyssal-home.bandcamp.com/

Holy shit. This is absolutely killer! They've got a really foreboding, unsettling atmosphere.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:46 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Can black metal not groove? Is that a rule now?

Of course it can, but I really don't like the ones which go too chunky with it, but that's just me.

Anyone heard the new Sorcery? I'm not quite sure what to make of it, on one hand the sound is absolutely excellent, and the bands whole approach is for the throat and riffy, and they're really good at both fast and slow, and not much murking about either, most of the slow stuff is just pummeling and catchy rather than just "evil", which are all things that I find very appealing. But on the other hand I don't like the vocals, which kinda sound spoken and a too clear like a death metal version of modern Abbath, then some parts try a little bit too hard, like the openers incessant attempts to be a live chant along hook which strikes me as quite poorly done, leaving an awkward "This isn't working" vibe like MA's "I Am Morbid", and finally the band really doesn't have any real unique, or even identifying traits, which obviously doesn't mean it's bad or anything, but it's always a bit awkward when I can't identify anything at all that they do that is so special. It's just good riffing and good song writing, and overall I'm not sure just yet how highly I want to rate it.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:00 pm 

Ah, gotcha!

Sacriphyx - "The Western Front" is everything I expected it would be and more. Each individual song is excellent. The riffs and melodies are impeccable, evoking a sense of triumph and a sense of melancholy that few other bands can.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:06 am 

The newest Defeated Sanity was solid brutal death as expected, Lusting for transcendence had some really fucking brutal chugging parts and The Purging sounded like you were getting sucked into the bowels of a hellmouth. Perspectives was probably the easiest track to follow with the less insane riffing, and more down to earth Suffocation moments. The first few tracks kind of sucked but the band managed to pick up the pace, and the album was more memorable over all than Chapters of Repugnance. The newest Manilla Road also was solid but nowhere near as good or as varied as Voyager apart from the faster songs which held my attention, the riffs were there and it was decent album compared to the prior lp but its not worth buying.

The new Sacred Steel was a lot faster than any of their past material I had heard, with a distinct Kreator vibe the riffs were faster and Gerrit's vocals sounded different more enunciated and he even did some harsh throaty rasps in No god/No religion. The drummer even attempts some blasts in Storm of fire and The Darkness of angels, apart from the titletrack the album is more than likely the band's fastest and meanest sounding they've ever done. If you've always hated Gerrit's lyrics and vocals this album may not change your mind, but its a lot darker, faster, and meaner than anything they've done in the past. Its funny I'm about to say this because I never even conceived it was possible, but the newest Sacred Steel beats the shit out of the latest Manilla Road with ease. It's earned a place in my low top 10 at least for this year, definitely a good album.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:13 am 

Symptom - Opulent Atrocity

What we have here is some cavernous Death Metal played underneath a huge blackened atmosphere. I'd recommend it for folks who enjoyed Abyssal's release.
It doesnt bear an uncanny resemblance to the aforementioned though, as it's not as experimental, the awesome riffs are much more decipherable and it contains some great head banging groovy sections. Excellent stuff.

The Fall Of Every Season - Amends.

Beautiful Melodic Doom/Death packed with genuine emotion. Its very similar to the debut, which is certainly not a bad thing as that was a masterpiece, but contains a bit more clean vocals (very well done too).

Overtorture and Sulphur Aeon have already been mentioned and they are absolutely stunning in my opinion. Nothing new in either case but just very well done OSDM.

Last edited by Beer Baron on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Symptom - Opulent Atrocity
What we have here is some cavernous Death Metal played underneath a huge blackened atmosphere. I'd recommend it for folks who enjoyed Abyssal's release.
It doesnt bear an uncanny resemblance to the aforementioned though, as it's not as experimental, the awesome riffs are much more decipherable and it contains some great head banging groovy sections. Excellent stuff.

I was checking it because of the fact that JT from SOTH is in it but was quite disappointed. I'm rather waiting for new SOTH because I love their first EP.

I've just returned from !.T.O.O.H.! show and I have to say it was one of the weirdest performances I've ever seen. I was convinced they were still setting-up the sound before the actual show but when they started like "thank you, now we'll play..." I was like wtf is going on here? it's already it? Both players had headphones on and the overall sound was so incredibly silent I hardly heard any drums, guitars were also very silent and I was standing right before the stage. All the other bands had that typical death/grind crushing sound but !.T.O.O.H.! were totally different. I dont know how are new songs because the performance was lacking some penetrating power.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:37 am 

been enjoying both the new krypts and sacriphyx albums the last day or two, quality death metal each of them

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
I was checking it because of the fact that JT from SOTH is in it but was quite disappointed. I'm rather waiting for new SOTH because I love their first EP

It's obvious he was going for something a little different from Shroud of The Heretic as this has a more Blackened Death feel to it in contrast to the retro Death Metal influenced Boiled to Death. I think they are two different kinds of beasts, love 'em both.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 am 

Gore__Grinder wrote:
been enjoying both the new krypts and sacriphyx albums the last day or two, quality death metal each of them

Wow, this is news to me. I didnt know about either release.
I loved the first demos from the both of them(Open The Crypt and Lone Pine respectively) but didnt care much for the other stuffs they've put out.
But I'm optimistic about these and will definitely be checking them out, thanks for the name drops.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:27 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
too much "groove/black"

Any groove in black metal is too much.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 pm 

Conservationism wrote:
Any groove in black metal is too much.

Annnnndddd there it is! :roll:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:09 pm 

Having some trouble finding a leak of Sacriphyx, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I wasn't overly impressed by Lone Pine, but I think a lot of it might have been because of the terrible production which kept me from really paying attention to the music. The praise here sounds promising though.

Edit: They're on NWN, so it'll be streaming. Yay NWN!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:55 pm 

NWN also just released a CD of everything they did prior to The Western Front, if the production on Lone Pine bothered you I suggest looking into it as everything was remastered and sounds a lot better.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 am 

Screamer's new album Phoenix is one hell of a rocking heavy metal album. I don't like many of the really popular bands from this revival era (Cauldron, Enforcer, White Wizzard, etc), so it is of no surprise to find another underground band punch above their weight class. Sure from my point of view the bar is set a little low, but I don't mean to take anything away from Screamer. It is a very solid and creative album and I can't wait to hear what will come next from them.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:17 am 

Early impressions on that Sacriphyx album are extremely positive. The write up on the NWN bandcamp gets it pretty much right, like Arghoslent they've managed to deathify traditional heavy metal, and as such, it's a badass, fun romp. But they've managed to do it while not being quite so melodic, and retained more of that extreme metal nastiness. It's definitely something for everyone to check out.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:58 pm 

I haven't listened to nearly as much as I had by this time last year, but so far the new My Bloody Valentine album m b v is easily my favorite release of 2013. Twenty-two years later, this record is almost just as atmospheric and emotional as Loveless, not to mention tripped out as fuck. This is definitely the non-metal release to top this year.

I really need to check that Sacriphyx album out...

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Early impressions on that Sacriphyx album are extremely positive. The write up on the NWN bandcamp gets it pretty much right, like Arghoslent they've managed to deathify traditional heavy metal, and as such, it's a badass, fun romp. But they've managed to do it while not being quite so melodic, and retained more of that extreme metal nastiness. It's definitely something for everyone to check out.

Most definitely! Anyone into early Greek black metal, or even Misery's Omen, does not need to sleep on this. The guitar riffs are nothing short of excellent, and the songs are very memorable. This album has moments of triumph, melancholy, headbanging intensity, and even a bit of fun. Actually, I was playing a few of these riffs last night on guitar and was having a grand ole time, haha. I think "The Crawling Horror" may be my favorite Sacriphyx song to date.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 am 

I got the same impression re: Arghoslent, but less lead-infused and slower. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet though.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 pm 

After so much chatter I obviously had to stream that damned Sacriphyx album everyone has been talking about. All the way through "Buried Behind the Lines" I kept thinking to myself that after 20 years someone decided to rip off Thy Mighty Contract. I mean, that riff is just so similar it hurts...

I really can't see why everyone is pissing their pants about this one. :scratch:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next