Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 pm 

So I gave it another shot. The only songs I like all the way through are Cannibal and Into the Skies of War... So it's a big disappointment for me. Some of the other songs have good bits though, but nothing to really save them. Tried the bonustracks too, Murder One (for In War and Pieces) was one of the best tracks of the album surprisingly. But well, that's not really the case here. Waterboarding is actually pretty bad and Splitting the Atom is unremarkable as it gets. The album is full of unremarkable riffs and annoying grooves... At least Cannibal and Into the Skies of War have bite to their riffs, interesting textures, good songwriting overall.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 pm 

I'm sitting here jamming In War and Pieces. Maybe I remembered that album differently but it definitely jams. Still enjoy Epitome of Torture more at this point. Where is the groove everyone is going on about on Epitome??? Going to revisit EoT shortly but enjoying Nothing Counts More Than Blood right now and not going to stop listening hahaha.

havoc00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 pm 

album is boring as fuck

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:24 pm 

havoc00 wrote:
album is boring as fuck

How very insightful you come up with that conclusion all your own?

havoc00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
havoc00 wrote:
album is boring as fuck

How very insightful you come up with that conclusion all your own?

Ya god forbid I listened to it and thought it was boring OMG what crimes. fuck off

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 pm 

While this is a good record, I still like In War and Pieces a lot more. That one may not have been as aggressive, but the songs were catchier. I'm really not even sure what is wrong with Epitome of Torture. Sonically, all the pieces are there, but the songs don't come together as well as they did on a release like M-16. Still, it is Sodom and they put out records infrequently enough that the sound isn't stale yet.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:49 pm 

Epitome of Torture is actually really great. It's not as melodic as I was hearing others say. "My Final Bullet" has an awesome pre-chorus, "Stigmatized" is a beast, "Into the Skies of War" has a lovely riff in the chorus, and "Waterboarding" is a great bonus track, just to name a few of the highlights. Another winner from Sodom.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:37 am 

I went out and bought it today cause I think them and Autopsy are the only metal bands stocked in the only and barely limping music store left in town. Well, I was expecting more In War and Pieces, and well I like this fucking album pretty good! It has far more speed and aggression than I was anticipating and even some flirtations with death metal. As far as their out put since the mid 90s, I like this way more than say Code Red, so I put my foot in my mouth, its still not revolutionary enough to look over a younger band but its pretty fucking strong for such an old band

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3