Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I mean, if people complaint about Tomas, why not Trym? both have a very similar style and role on their respective bands.

Gorgoroth is a more riff based band than Emperor ever was. Trym's drumming is perfectly suited to the wall of sound approach that Emperor employed, especially on their earlier material. Even the Enslaved albums that Trym played on don't emphasize the riffing like Gorgoroth does. Plus, Trym is just a much more skilled drummer, at least I think so.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:56 am 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Turner wrote:
bill andrews on death's spiritual healing and leprosy albums.... terrible

I don't know, more mediocre than terrible.

yeah, you have a point there. i was mostly thinking of the constantly out-of-time double kick, but otherwise he's just unremarkable.

Ba Zuulizx Karoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:56 pm 

Ever listened to DSBM? most of it is drum machine, but the ones that are not are just terrible.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:05 pm 

If we're listing awful drummers, there's some very questionable drumming over here

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 pm 

I've not heard Koldbrann, but I don't think that the drumming on Battles In The North or Pure Holocaust are bad at alll...Sloppy yes, clumsy even, but perfect in adding a chaotic atmosphere to Immortals music. Compare the drumming on Battles...with Blizzard Beasts. Battles is so much more dynamic, but BB sounds very cold and clinical almost (which does suit the music); the snare almost sounds like an 808 sample.

The drumming on early Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes is up there (down there?) the worst I've heard, with very little redeeming qualities.

The worst triggered drumming would have to be on Cradle of Filth's Cruelty and the Beat album; thin and really dull, the clicky kick sound is almost as piercing as the snare drum.

Worst live drumming; check out Catamenia's "Bringing the Cold to Poland"; embarassingly bad.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm 

Panflute wrote:
I wasn't familiar with them until now, but after going to YouTube, I'd still say the drumming on Immortal's Battles in the North is far worse. It's like Abbath quickly learned how to drum when realising they didn't have a drummer for the album, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how it went.

Here's the thing about Abbath. While his performance on Battles in the North did indeed suck, his performance on Pure Holocaust was great. On that record he was on time, fast, not sloppy, and just a good drummer. What happened to cause the Battles in the North performance I will probably never know, but there was a time when Abbath was a pretty decent drummer.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 pm 

I looked up that Polish Catamenia concert on YouTube and listened to some track called cold, and that was horrible... The drumming ain't the only issue in that band...

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:43 am 

^Catamenia are actually quite good if you want simple, fast melodic black metal with absolutely no depth to it. That live performance is incredibly amateurish though...

csehszlovakze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:53 pm 

The guy who followed Cernunnos in Enthroned made two full-lengths totally unlistenable with his "drumming", I place my vote on him.

Links to my online presence

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:27 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:
Turner wrote:
bill andrews on death's spiritual healing and leprosy albums.... terrible

I think thats more of a case of the drums being recorded really shitty, not because the drummer is bad.

Leprosy's drumming is pretty terrible. Bill uses the same drum pattern in every song. There's not a ton of variation even in fills and the like. It's substandard and definitely drags the album down a bit, but not by much, because the riffs and vocals are still killer.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm 

Leprosy's drumming is simplistic but it fits the music on that album perfectly. Spiritual Healing's doesn't. That record, despite being my favorite Death record, has the least good drumming of all of them.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:24 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I looked up that Polish Catamenia concert on YouTube and listened to some track called cold, and that was horrible... The drumming ain't the only issue in that band...

Definitely not. The songwriting, the vocals - everything is horrid. Good for teenagers, maybe.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Stabwound wrote:
Abbath's drumming is awesome. It somehow suits the music a lot better when it's a little sloppy.

Therein lies the problem. It's not "a little sloppy". It's a complete disaster. I'd wager this is how I would sound if I tried to play drums for a black metal band and it's worth noting I've never played drums.

Please stop talking shit, or at least go and try to play on a drumset before. Blastbeating and double bassing on a tempo as fast as Battles in the North requires A LOT of training, even for a long-time drummer. I've played the drums for more than ten years and I still have to struggle to pass over the 260BPM ceiling for double bass and 320 BPM ceiling for blastbeat. The tempo on Battles in the North must be something like 360 BPM (at least)...

About Bill Andrews, I already said on another topic that his drumming was very uncreative, but it kinda fits with the clinical/dead dimension of Death's music. Of course I would have preferred more variety and subtlety.

Someone mentioned Enthroned. On the first album, drummer Cernunnos was pretty irregular. On the third album, the drums sound sloppy too, but their production is quite blur.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 am 

Battles in the North is no faster than any other black metal album being released at the time. As said previously, for whatever reason Abbath's drumming degenerated from Pure Holocaust to Battles in the North considerably, meaning the genuinely great performance on Holocaust was now sloppy and messy on Battles, and even then it's still far more on point than many other black metal records.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 am 

Subrick wrote:
Battles in the North is no faster than any other black metal album being released at the time.

Yes it is! Battles in the North is clearly and largely faster than Pentagram and Stormblast. I could find many other examples.

Quote:
As said previously, for whatever reason Abbath's drumming degenerated from Pure Holocaust to Battles in the North considerably, meaning the genuinely great performance on Holocaust was now sloppy and messy on Battles, and even then it's still far more on point than many other black metal records.

I've never remarked anything like that, I think Abbath's drumming is great on both albums. I never read anything like that anywhere else than here. But I guess this topic is full of great drummers/drumming experts...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am 

Well I am a drummer, so I do in fact know a few things about drumming.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:27 am 

Then try to play the drums while listening to Pentagram and Battles in the North, and come back afterwards to repeat that the tempo is similar.

I can play the whole Pentagram album, fills included. I couldn't even play a song from Battles in the North...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 am 

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Besides, Emperor was smoking both Immortal and Gorgoroth in terms of extremity at the time.

Also, for comparison's sake with a black metal record that came out in 1995, compare the tempos of Battles in the North to the tempos of Vempire. Vempire is way faster than Battles across the board.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:46 am 

Subrick wrote:
Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Besides, Emperor was smoking both Immortal and Gorgoroth in terms of extremity at the time.

I disagree. Faust was indeed a killer drummer, but In the Nightside Eclipse is slower than Battles in the North as a whole. Battles in the North is fast and intense, there is neither respite nor calm parts. The slowest song is "Blashyrk", and it's not easy to play at all. I tried to drum-cover the Emperor EP and it's affordable.

Quote:
Also, for comparison's sake with a black metal record that came out in 1995, compare the tempos of Battles in the North to the tempos of Vempire. Vempire is way faster than Battles across the board.

Are you joking man? This comparison is nonsense, Vempire is neither fast nor intense. Vempire is in terms of drumming a mix between technical death/thrash and slow gothic metal.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 am 

Vempire isn't fast? Did you listen to the same record I did? Listen to The Rape of Ruin of Angels.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:32 am 

"The Rape and Ruin of Angels", what a frustrating song: excellent beginning, then some gothic piano and slow ballade... I'm too lazy to check right now, but the fast part in the beginning doesn't last more than one minute and a half. The same structure (very fast beginning, then slower melodic parts) applies to most of the songs.

I don't consider Vempire as pure black metal anyway, so please choose a better example.

On Battles in the North, nearly all songs consist exclusively of blastbeats and double bass.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:35 am 

For a more "true" example, Heaven Shall Burn by Marduk from a year later. It's Legion-era Marduk, so it's almost nothing but blasting and double bass.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 am 

Wrong comparison: Battles in the North should be compared to Opus Nocturne. The World Domination compilation (which was released in 1995) featured a sample track of each album.

Maybe Opus Nocturne matches the speed of BittN, but I have to go to sleep now.

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 am 

I'll just leave this here.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 am 

sounds like country at 2:28

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2