Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gravemaster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 am 

Downloading has its good and its bad effects. If on one hand it deprives the band of its finances on the other it takes metal to those parts of the world where metal is banned or not available. Share your views about downloading (i am talking about illegal downloading and not about itunes)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:42 am 

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96398&hilit=downloading
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 am 

Technology changes, music companies need to adapt or they'll suffer lost revenue. If they offered their music through high quality downloads on-line for a few dollars rather than trying to enforce laws which were made before the internet even existed, they wouldn't be so out of pocket, or look like they're treating most music fans as criminals. For too long cd's cost way too much and so it's not surprising people turned to downloading.
How can most afford to buy two or three cds a week at $15-25 dollars each, which after a few months (unless exceptional) will be relegated to the dark recesses of a cupboard? Many who are low wage earners, or unemployed listen to a lot of music and simply can't afford to buy a physical copy at a premium price.

sites like Bandcamp are the future.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm 

Without downloading, many albums would simply be lost and totally forgotten. Hell, even with it a lot still are. I think it's important to support worthwhile bands and labels. It's what keeps metal going. I think it's equally important to spread the music so people have the opportunity to hear the bands they want to hear. Also, not all downloading is from current bands. A lot of the albums I download are from obscure bands, OOP albums or bands. Many of those bands would be impossible to hear, or at a minimum very difficult and expensive if I couldn't download their albums. I know I do not represent everyone but the point goes back to what I said about making sure albums are not lost. I went so far as to start a blog (which I will not plug here) for that exact reason; making sure that obscure and OOP albums and demos are available.

I agree about sites like Bandcamp. I can support bands directly without having to wait for a cd to arrive (if I don't want it or it's not offered). It's a great model that provides value over downloading for free and I hope to see more bands and labels on there. I will no longer buy an album unless I hear it in its entirety first. I have simply been burned too many times and I do not have the disposable income I did when I was younger to buy 20 cds a month. Having a legal, accessible venue for that is great for everyone.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm 

It preserves albums and releases that may have only been released for a short period, or released in limited copies, so it has it's plus's, weather or not that band re uploads and digitally sells it, or music blogs archive it. I've heard stories of people finding long forgetten albums, and then because of it's popularity among music blogs it was re-released.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm 

I've recently started buying albums and I do prefer to support bands by buying their albums and merch however their are some bands I listen to that haven't been around for 20+ years and theirs no way in hell I could afford the prices of oop cassettes, vinyls, etc. . So yeah I believe that downloading can be fine when things are ridiculously priced or your unemployed/strapped for cash. But I don't think anyone should strictly download illegally especially if the album your downloading can be bought for $5. If you cant spare alittle change for your favorite bands then your just a piece of shit. By the way I Am The Law I'd be interested in checking out that blog if you could pm me the name.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.