Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 am 

Appalachian Winter has just released this 4 track e.p. for any of you guys interested in the band. Personally I think that his music is getting better with every release and this e.p. along with the last album being the best yet. Imo when I think of epic (black) metal this band always springs to mind along with the likes of Summoning, Bathory etc only they are much more unknown. It always baffled me why he never has been signed to a label! Anyway I know some of you are familiar with his music and if not here is the link to all his work which he happily releases for free, click on his mediafire if you want to download it.

http://appalachianwinter.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by STORMM on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 am 

Thanks for posting this, some time ago I listened something from this band and it was interesting so I will try to listen to this new EP, and by the way, learn more about them.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:49 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
and by the way, learn more about them.

Do so Paganbasque, take time and work back through his releases, some interesting and catchy material, the keyboards really enhance the music and are used very well. I also enjoy his clean singing parts, he can hit the high notes in a Rob Halford kinda way when he wants to.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:00 am 

Always interested in Appalachian Winter. And damn, how the guy manage to churn this stuff out?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:14 am 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Always interested in Appalachian Winter. And damn, how the guy manage to churn this stuff out?

Was thinking that myself mate, seems like no time since the last album. The new release should be right up your street. I just wish he had these out on cd, being a collector I would like to have his work on physical format, maybe someday.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:50 pm 

Nice find on this. I'm enjoying this quite a bit already only 2 songs in. They remind me of a more pagan Summoning, maybe Falkenbach+Summoning? Great keyboards though. Too bad the drums are not programmed as nicely, but drumming is something a real drummer is truly indispensable for.

For those who like the free streams on bandcamp, I've found a link to a free download (linked on the official fb page by Appalachian Winter themselves) of all their musical output here: http://www.mediafire.com/?qwvfnuv62641n

cheers,
--N

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Too bad the drums are not programmed as nicely, but drumming is something a real drummer is truly indispensable for.

This is quite true though I do believe that over the years of listening to his work I have got used to them. Most of the time they are fine, just now and again there is the odd cringe worthy moment. As we are talking about the drums one of the tracks on the new e.p. does use a live drummer for the very first time, maybe this is a sign of things to come.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:24 am 

I've been interested in Appalachian Winter for a while - never properly checked them out, but I've been meaning to for a year or two now. This'll hopefully motivate me to listen to them properly.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:43 am 

Solid release, like all the previous ones. I'm just surprised its in 192 kbps. Previous albums were 320

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 pm 

Sorry to bring up this old thread but for any of you guys interested the e.p. became his latest full length instead and it sounds great. It also marks the first proper physical release of the band with rumours of some of the previous albums getting the same treatment. The album is available through Nine Gates Records. He has also confirmed that all his work will continue to be downloadable for free from the bandcamp as always.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 am 

I finally got around to downloading all this guy's stuff, holy shit does he have some epic songs. Great stuff all around definitely a band I'll be keeping an eye on from now on.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am 

I've only listened to his first album and I say that the greatest weakness of it is that the drum programming sounds like ass. Does that get better over time?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:21 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I've only listened to his first album and I say that the greatest weakness of it is that the drum programming sounds like ass. Does that get better over time?

The music, production and sound do get better from album to album. I actually think the drumming fits the music quite well now though you can easily tell it is a drum machine. Check out a few of the newer tracks to see what you think Wilytank. The early albums production were a lot weaker in comparison to the newer stuff which also might of had a more negative effect on the drum sound.

Reply to topic