Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:33 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
I agree, but I meant stupid as in literally neanderthal-brained, not devoid of musical quality.

Ah, I see what you mean :D

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:27 pm 

Peroy wrote:

I wished people would stop with this hyperbole. I've listened to all of those ten or so "notoriously bad albums" of metal (you know, "St. Anger", "Illud...", "Cold Lake", "Soundtrack...", "TUK," "Promise", maybe "Virtual XI", and I'm sure there are three or four more of those that just don't come immediately to mind) and let me tell you something... they're not the worst things metal has to offer. Not by far. I'd label most of them as just "average, but disapointing".

"Promise" is probably the worst of those, and even that one is not totally unlistenable. Baffling as hell, yes, but not the biggest piece of shit ever... and neither is any other of those records.

Gotta keep things in perspective...

So glad you're here to tell us what we can hate and what we can't. Very good of you to offer this service. :roll:

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 pm 

I only got into the band a few months ago and haven't yet dared wander further than the first two. I love every second of 'Blasphemy made flesh' and love 'None so vile' (I prefer the music of the first and the production of the second), where do you recommend I go next?
I assume I will be avoiding 'TUK' at all costs...

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Peroy wrote:

I wished people would stop with this hyperbole. I've listened to all of those ten or so "notoriously bad albums" of metal (you know, "St. Anger", "Illud...", "Cold Lake", "Soundtrack...", "TUK," "Promise", maybe "Virtual XI", and I'm sure there are three or four more of those that just don't come immediately to mind) and let me tell you something... they're not the worst things metal has to offer. Not by far. I'd label most of them as just "average, but disapointing".

"Promise" is probably the worst of those, and even that one is not totally unlistenable. Baffling as hell, yes, but not the biggest piece of shit ever... and neither is any other of those records.

Gotta keep things in perspective...

So glad you're here to tell us what we can hate and what we can't. Very good of you to offer this service. :roll:

You're welcome. ;)

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:42 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
I only got into the band a few months ago and haven't yet dared wander further than the first two. I love every second of 'Blasphemy made flesh' and love 'None so vile' (I prefer the music of the first and the production of the second), where do you recommend I go next?
I assume I will be avoiding 'TUK' at all costs...

The band's direction drastically changed starting with Whisper Supremacy, which is really spastic and frenzied tech death. The self-titled that was released in 2012 is the closest thing in their discography to BMF and NSV.

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
The self-titled that was released in 2012 is the closest thing in their discography to BMF and NSV.

And even that pales in comparison to BMF and NSV. Still a solid album, though. @Lagartija, you're really not missing out on anything incredible if you've already heard the first two albums, in my opinion.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 pm 

BMF is actually not that great... both Whisper Supremacy and the s/t are better...

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:33 pm 

Peroy wrote:
BMF is actually not that great... both Whisper Supremacy and the s/t are better...

Guess it depends on your preference. Blasphemy Made Flesh has Lord Worm which automatically makes it better to me personally. I prefer my death metal to be on the disgusting and gritty side... Whisper Supremacy and s/t are far more on the slick, technical end of the spectrum. Still good albums, just not phenomenal.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:48 pm 

To me BMF is certainly an okay album, but it doesn't come into throwing distance of NSV... Honestly, if one does want to ristrict oneself to their very best material, that album is sufficient.

The presence of Lord Worm doesn't really elevate it to the standard of their sophomore, imo.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:46 am 

Lord Worm is unique on Blasphemy Made Flesh, but not as outstanding as on None So Vile.

The riffs on BMF are better than on any album after None So Vile though, with the exception of perhaps three riffs on Once Was Not that are up to par with the early stuff.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:25 am 

I'm not a riff counter...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 am 

Ok, cheers for the recs guys :)
I'm seeing them for the first time in a couple of weeks with Cattle Decapitation and Decrepit Birth, should be fun...

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm 

Peroy wrote:

What of it? I basically said there are only a couple of riffs in Cryptopsy's career past None So Vile that are anything near the level of the first two albums.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
What of it? I basically said there are only a couple of riffs in Cryptopsy's career past None So Vile that are anything near the level of the first two albums.

Exactly.

Also just to add I prefer Blasphemy Made Flesh over every other Cryptopsy album including NSV which I love. There is a morbid and real death metal feel to that album which I believe got lost after NSV and that was probably due to lord worm's departure (because Once Was Not seemed to have the closest feeling to those earlier albums).

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 pm 

To me, Blasphemy Made Flesh is their best, like it just a bit more than None So Vile, because they attain a mix of brutal, heavy and melodic (Attained only once on NSV, in "Phobophile", while on BMF it happens almost all the time, and if not, its every second song), and it works. The solos are my favorite part, and the productions really fits, its atmospheric, and its overall simpler and rawer than NSV. People say The Unspoken King is their worst, but i feel like its And Then You'll Beg.... All too wanky and technical to me, its like proto-Brain Drill. Whisper Supremacy was decent at best, same as Once Was Not, while their newest one is good, but i hate the production and guitar tone.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 pm 

I enjoyed all Cryptopsy aside from The Unspoken King.

Blasphemy Made Flesh is my favorite. If I get that itch to listen to them it's usually that album, that might be more since it's the first I heard from them cause None So Vile is amazing but I just still tend to listen to BMF. The albums with Mike I enjoy greatly but I just don't care as much for Mike's vocals cause quite a few times it seems to me like he is kinda blown out and huffing.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Peroy wrote:

What I meant is I tend to think in terms of whole songs, not single riffs... I couldn't tell what constitutes a "good" riff or a "shit" riff anyway. ;)

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 pm 

Peroy wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

What I meant is I tend to think in terms of whole songs, not single riffs... I couldn't tell what constitutes a "good" riff or a "shit" riff anyway. ;)

Alright, let me rephrase. After None So Vile, there are only some passages (parts, sections) that can be compared to Cryptopsy's two first albums in terms of quality. I said riffs, because there's hardly anything else noteworthy about those particular passages (except for Lord Worm on Once Was Not, and even that is sub-par compared to his earlier performances).

In my opinion, good riffs are what predominantly determine a song's quality. A mere collection of good riffs, even if they're poorly arranged, is more enjoyable that well arranged lacklustre riffs.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
In my opinion, good riffs are what predominantly determine a song's quality. A mere collection of good riffs, even if they're poorly arranged, is more enjoyable that well arranged lacklustre riffs.

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
The solos are my favorite part

I fucking love the solos in BMF and don't like the ones in NSV at all, I don't know whay they decided to swap solos that made sense for random shredding...

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
DarkWolfXV wrote:
The solos are my favorite part

I fucking love the solos in BMF and don't like the ones in NSV at all, I don't know whay they decided to swap solos that made sense for random shredding...

Yeah, i love how they are kind of, well i guess romantic? Also Flo Mounier has a lot more of slow, simple beats on BMF, like the only few moments in all of their discography where he actually calms down and just plays something simple, and its fucking fantastic. The additional dynamic of technical vs simple makes the album even better.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm 

The album from what I recall is too much of a clusterfuck to ever fully attribute the deathcore moniker to it. Some of us heard songs such as Worship your demons and Bemoan the martyr and jumped the gun, when its kind of a fucked up version of their middle career without any central idea with a deathcore influence. Aborted's Strychnine had more of an obvious deathcore influence and yet that album doesn't get as panned, this album was a clusterfuck. It's nowhere near as bad as Illud, St. Anger, Cold Lake, or The Underground Resistance though..

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm 

Veracs wrote:
The album from what I recall is too much of a clusterfuck to ever fully attribute the deathcore moniker to it. Some of us heard songs such as Worship your demons and Bemoan the martyr and jumped the gun, when its kind of a fucked up version of their middle career without any central idea with a deathcore influence. Aborted's Strychnine had more of an obvious deathcore influence and yet that album doesn't get as panned, this album was a clusterfuck. It's nowhere near as bad as Illud, St. Anger, Cold Lake, or The Underground Resistance though..

Or At the Edge of Time... ;)

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:07 pm 

Lol, Veracs decided that The Underground Resistance is a hated album and classic turd now. We're lucky he's such a pertinent and respected person. :lol:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Lightsbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 pm 

Some of the hate comes from it being a Cryptopsy album. If a real 'deathcore' band put this out I don't think people would hate it as much. It just doesn't live up to the name for alot of people but out of context it's a whole different thing, of course though it's natural to compare it to what they've done in the past.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Aborted's Strychnine had more of an obvious deathcore influence and yet that album doesn't get as panned,

I actually felt 'the Archaic Abattoir' had a ton more and that actually turned me off to Aborted immediately what little I heard of Strychnine just re-enforced how much I hated what they become. Glad they turned it around.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:52 am 

I've not heard it, no real reason, I quite like Once Was Not and the new songs they had all over the place recently were wicked too.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 am 

Veracs wrote:
It's nowhere near as bad as Illud, St. Anger, Cold Lake, or The Underground Resistance though..

I said it once and I'll say it again, St.Anger and Illud are about million times better than Unspoken King

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 am 

They're really all about the same level of quality, i.e. about a 10-15% if we were to go by this site's reviews.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 am 

Except The Underground Resistance, which is the highest rated Darkthrone album since Panzerfaust. Nice try, Veracs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:25 am 

Yeah I didn't mean that one. It's a pretty weak album compared to some of their other works, but c'mon, putting it with albums like Illud or fucking St. Anger? Please.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 am 

About 50% for all of those from me...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2