Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:37 pm 

Got to hear some songs on YouTube and I got to say it sounding quite good. Those furious Germans still got it. Also they included a Blind Guardian cover of "Valhalla" to go along with the release. That's just wonderful in many ways.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:54 pm 

That Valhalla-Cover is indeed excellent...

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 pm 

Yup. It is really cool that they even got Hansi to guest on it! There's also another cover bonus track (European Superstate by Killing Joke) which is is very nice too.

About the album itself, I found it to be a sweet slice of furious melodic death metal with the occasional electronics and more hardcore sounding vocals. The opening duo in particular are very memorable, with Godiva featuring some gorgeous melodies and Land of the Upright Ones has one of those rare instantly memorable harsh vocals in its chorus. I also like that the lyrics seem to be geared towards sociopolitical issues rather than the more usual emotional, metaphysical and fiction-related lyrics featured by most melodeath bands (specially those with some kind of relationship with the metalcore scene).

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:07 pm 

Their version of Valhalla is good, but nowhere near as good as the original.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 pm 

HSB is some of the heaviest metalcore/deathcore/melodeath I've heard in a while.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:40 pm 

Well, I enjoyed their cover of Black Tears. Hm, that's all I can say about the band. But I'll check this out.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 am 

Gave it a listen earlier today. I didn't like it so much. It feels like they've been spinning wheels since Iconoclast came out in 2008. Stale melodies, so-so chugging riffs, and repetitive songwriting. I can tell they're trying to innovate by taking on a more melodic death metal slant and adding some electronic embellishments, but it still feels like they're essentially doing the same thing since they hit their stride with Antigone in 2004. At least that album and its follow-up felt fresh - sure, the riffs and melodies here aren't exactly the same, but it still just feels so rehashed.

I found Marcus's vocals grating, as well. Granted, he's a talented vocalist, but when his voice is so aggressive and and in-your-face and the songs don't convey the same energy, I find it hard to get into them.

All in all it's a bit of a shame, I used to love these guys a few years back. I can tell they put some effort into this album, and it's definitely better than their previous, but I still find it difficult to enjoy. Maybe their style just isn't for me anymore.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am 

Veto has some great songs like Godiva, Land of the Upright Ones, You Will Be Godless, Antagonized. The rest are just pretty average and a bit too slow. Hate the silly cover song. Of all the great stuff they could play, they chose this song? Still not a fan of the tedious monotonous vocals, at least the visceral screams. They would do so much better sticking to death growls with the occasional scream, instead of the other way around. They also deserve a better production that doesn't overemphasize the vocals that much, and gives guitars and drums some more attention.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:03 pm 

Not a big fan of em but that Valhalla cover is fucking excellent, suprised they got Hansi to play on a death metal record!

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:41 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Not a big fan of em but that Valhalla cover is fucking excellent, suprised they got Hansi to play on a death metal record!

Is I understand it, they asked for permission to cover that song an Kürsch himself suggested to guest on that track... something along the lines of "If you're doing that, I'm gonna sing on it"...

That's pretty cool...

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm 

I got the album today and gave it a couple of listens already. Musically I like it very much, but that sound... it's almost as bad as "Invictus", almost hurts listening to this under headphones...

Could someone please produce and mix that band again as it was on "Antigone"? I thought that album sounded very good, without losing any heavyness...

Reply to topic