Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:23 pm 

So I was looking through Death's discography, and I noticed they have a lot of fucking tapes. I was curious how many other bands were like this, did they just suck for a while, did they just like tape trades, how many did bands usually make when they made so many demos? I'm also interested if anyone has any significantly large tape collections they have pictures of.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 pm 

You mean all those rehearsal tapes and whatnot? Probably shitloads of bands in that era made tons and tons of tapes. It's basically that era's version of recording some stuff and sticking it on Soundcloud or Youtube or whatever. My guess is that you see so many listed for Death compared to other bands because they're extremely popular, there's a pretty decent cult of personality around Chuck, etc. so people hunt down every little detail they can find and stick it on MA.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:54 am 

Bands like Metallica had quite a few more tapes than what is listed here. For example, Metal Up Your Ass, Ron McGovney's demo tape, Power Metal to name a few. They aren't listed here because they are not considered legitimate releases by the band.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:43 am 

The reason why there can be so many different ones can also be that a bunch of tapes can easily run out if your band garners attention. If you simply put some songs on soundcloud or youtube, they don't run out. Make some rehearsal tapes, print 50 of them, and if people buy them and want more, you might as well record new ones. Put that new song you've been rehearsing there while you're at it, and leave out that one song you're already bored of.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:42 am 

Impiety have quite a few from memory, I saw a few photos recently

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:20 am 

Even popular bands release some of their full lengths and EPs in tape format (I have some by Mayhem, Rotting Christ, Napalm Death, Beherit, etc.). Dont think that when a band breaks through the demo stage that it abandons tapes altogether, or that it necessarily sucked before then. It's a charming little format that feels very classic and produces a wonderful 'warm' analog sound.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:33 pm 

Getting a full analog sound should imply recording a master tape directly from a multi-track cassette recorder.

And if you're a real purist, the recording process should include only passive microphones and tube amps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pedal effects or synths are not analog.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:53 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
You mean all those rehearsal tapes and whatnot? Probably shitloads of bands in that era made tons and tons of tapes. It's basically that era's version of recording some stuff and sticking it on Soundcloud or Youtube or whatever. My guess is that you see so many listed for Death compared to other bands because they're extremely popular, there's a pretty decent cult of personality around Chuck, etc. so people hunt down every little detail they can find and stick it on MA.

I think the only reason they are included is because the Death memorial page acknowledging them after the fact. Otherwise a lot of them are unofficial rehearsals and live bootlegs.

Reply to topic