Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dogfrog
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:44 am 

I went to check that Demiser link and realized I already had it in my wishlist, good one

Heres a couple great ones I found recently on BC

https://subtype-zero.bandcamp.com/album ... -awakening
https://paranorm.bandcamp.com/album/empyrean
https://furtherial.bandcamp.com/album/liberation-path

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 am 

+1 for Demiser. Excellent stuff.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

The_Doo_Over
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:07 am 

I have been listening to Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament for a couple of years now. Recently, I have also been getting into the Teutonic Big Four (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, and Tankard), as well as Anthrax and Slayer. I’m honestly wondering what other thrash bands you (or anyone) would recommend to me since I want to get even further into the genre and spice up my listening experience. So what other thrash bands (from any timeline and country) would you (or anyone else who wants to answer my question) recommend I start listening to?

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:23 am 

The_Doo_Over wrote:
I have been listening to Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament for a couple of years now. Recently, I have also been getting into the Teutonic Big Four (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, and Tankard), as well as Anthrax and Slayer. I’m honestly wondering what other thrash bands you (or anyone) would recommend to me since I want to get even further into the genre and spice up my listening experience. So what other thrash bands (from any timeline and country) would you (or anyone else who wants to answer my question) recommend I start listening to?

I'm assuming you are familiar mostly with the big names, i'll point you out some of the earliest "less known" bands i came across, let me know if it helps!

Coroner is one of the first that blew my mind when i started exploring the lesser known bands: their albums Punishment For Decadence, No More Color and Mental Vortex impressed me with some of the best guitarwork in the genre. Toxik's first album and Think This and Artillery's By Inheritance are also two albums i would suggest whitout doubt to any thrash fan.

Voivod are one of the best bands ever, but their album took me a while to appreciate: Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross and the latest The Wake have some of the most unorthodox and creative guitar work in the whole genre. If you try them prepare for a trip!

There are also albums i really hold dear because they were some of the first i discovered outside the big names: Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death (some of the most violent thrash ever) Sacrifice's Soldiers of Misfortune (a darker, moodier experience than their early albums) Dark Angel's Darkness Descends and Time Does Not Heal (both different crazy albums with some of the darkest material of the genre) and Mekong Delta's Music of Erich Zann (frantic, technical thrash)

Then in the end for more recent material you can try albums like Vulture's The Guillottine and Antichrist (SWE) 's two fantastic albums.

I listed quite a lot of stuff, but it should be a good start! Once you get going then you can proceed with the "similar artists" tab on find a whole new world of music :)

also shout out to thrasher extraordinaire Dungeon_Vic to see if i missed some really important ones! :lol:

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 am 

The_Doo_Over wrote:

There's so many mate but I'll recommend just a few off the top of my head for now, don't wanna over do it.

Exodus
Dark Angel
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Death Angel
Nuclear Assault
Annihilator
Flotsam And Jetsam
Sacred Reich
Nasty Savage
Agent Steel
Sabbat (UK)
Metal Church
Coroner
Possessed
Artillery
Razor
Voivod
Exciter
Sacrifice
Mortal Sin
Sarcofago
Laaz Rockit
Onslaught
Celtic Frost
Bathory
Hirax
Morbid Saint
Suicidal Tendencies
D.R.I.

Like most bands it's the earlier releases you should check out first. Enjoy.

The_Doo_Over
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:10 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:

There's so many mate but I'll recommend just a few off the top of my head for now, don't wanna over do it.

Exodus
Dark Angel
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Death Angel
Nuclear Assault
Annihilator
Flotsam And Jetsam
Sacred Reich
Nasty Savage
Agent Steel
Sabbat (UK)
Metal Church
Coroner
Possessed
Artillery
Razor
Voivod
Exciter
Sacrifice
Mortal Sin
Sarcofago
Laaz Rockit
Onslaught
Celtic Frost
Bathory
Hirax
Morbid Saint
Suicidal Tendencies
D.R.I.

Like most bands it's the earlier releases you should check out first. Enjoy.[/quote]

Thank you for recommending all of these bands to me. I have been exposed to Bathory’s first two albums (a few days ago), Possessed’s first album, most of Voivod’s first album, and one Death Angel track (“The Ultra-Violence). Even out of these bands, I still have so much more to listen to, and even more so for the other bands mentioned that I have never listened to. I can’t wait to start listening to all of these bands.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:26 am 

The_Doo_Over wrote:
Thank you for recommending all of these bands to me. I have been exposed to Bathory’s first two albums (a few days ago), Possessed’s first album, most of Voivod’s first album, and one Death Angel track (“The Ultra-Violence). Even out of these bands, I still have so much more to listen to, and even more so for the other bands mentioned that I have never listened to. I can’t wait to start listening to all of these bands.

Happy to help out. I've been listening to this stuff since the late 80's, absolutely love it and it's cool to see people are still keen to check this stuff out. If you need any other band or album recs just ask.

JimbolikesPizza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:55 am 

The_Doo_Over wrote:

MetlaNZ has a great list. I'll list some other bands, mostly newer.

Warbringer
Havok
Power Trip
Lich King
Xentrix
Hazzerd
Municipal Waste
Iron Reagan
Evildead
Toxic Holocaust
Enforced
Whiplash
Overkill
Violator
S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death)
M.O.D. (Method of Destruction)
Lazarus A.D.
High Command
Demolition Hammer
Skeleton Pit
Terrifier
Lost Society
Thrashwall
Netherblade
Bio-Cancer

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:02 am 

Mordred have released a new song from the upcoming album "The Dark Parade". When I first heard it I thought it sucked because the vocals just did not impress me but... it's growing on me with each listen. It's starting to make sense. Strange.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134