Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morton Salt
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm
Posts: 208
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:15 pm 
 

What are some good black metal labels that put out more ambitious and less straightforward music?

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2885
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:15 pm 
 

Avantgarde Records and I, Voidhanger. Note that for every good record they release 3-4 bad ones.

Top
 Profile  
TheLoneForest
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 599
Location: Quebec
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:23 pm 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Avantgarde Records and I, Voidhanger. Note that for every good record they release 3-4 bad ones.


Both labels tend to be pretty solid, what recent albums have they dropped that you thought were bad?

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 13272
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:48 pm 
 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Avantgarde Records and I, Voidhanger. Note that for every good record they release 3-4 bad ones.


Both labels tend to be pretty solid, what recent albums have they dropped that you thought were bad?



probably none, and was disappointed they were rejected from the label for their garbage material. i, V. is so such great people and he takes his time for each release that makes a vast evaluation on each release he does. including securing high dollar art that fits the released material.

Grave, get sad and stop.
_________________
I just do stuff.

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 5566
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:22 pm 
 

Yeah, I Voidhanger has always made me feel at worst indifferent about some releases rather than actively bad. The Khanus album and the final Aevangelist (with Ascaris still in the band) album from a few years back come to mind.

Avantgarde have actually been more hit or miss, but they've also got a much longer history have released or reissued some of my favorite black metal albums.
_________________
RYM
BastardHead wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida


This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2885
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm 
 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
probably none, and was disappointed they were rejected from the label for their garbage material. i, V. is so such great people and he takes his time for each release that makes a vast evaluation on each release he does. including securing high dollar art that fits the released material.

Grave, get sad and stop.

What the hell are you talking about?

Top
 Profile  
Morphine1873
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:36 pm
Posts: 558
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:52 am 
 

I'd cite one French label - although I'mnot a BM fan, I keep an eye on the evolution of their roster- it's Debemur Morti Productions.
Often atmo, esoteric, doomy, flirting with dark ambient. they also sign many more classic bands, but those are generally ... French.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group