Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dogfrog
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 1
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:44 am 
 

I went to check that Demiser link and realized I already had it in my wishlist, good one

Heres a couple great ones I found recently on BC

https://subtype-zero.bandcamp.com/album ... -awakening
https://paranorm.bandcamp.com/album/empyrean
https://furtherial.bandcamp.com/album/liberation-path

Top
 Profile  
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:00 am
Posts: 1170
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 am 
 

+1 for Demiser. Excellent stuff.
_________________
42

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Top
 Profile  
The_Doo_Over
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:29 pm
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:07 am 
 

I have been listening to Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament for a couple of years now. Recently, I have also been getting into the Teutonic Big Four (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, and Tankard), as well as Anthrax and Slayer. I’m honestly wondering what other thrash bands you (or anyone) would recommend to me since I want to get even further into the genre and spice up my listening experience. So what other thrash bands (from any timeline and country) would you (or anyone else who wants to answer my question) recommend I start listening to?

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2360
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:23 am 
 

The_Doo_Over wrote:
I have been listening to Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament for a couple of years now. Recently, I have also been getting into the Teutonic Big Four (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, and Tankard), as well as Anthrax and Slayer. I’m honestly wondering what other thrash bands you (or anyone) would recommend to me since I want to get even further into the genre and spice up my listening experience. So what other thrash bands (from any timeline and country) would you (or anyone else who wants to answer my question) recommend I start listening to?


I'm assuming you are familiar mostly with the big names, i'll point you out some of the earliest "less known" bands i came across, let me know if it helps!

Coroner is one of the first that blew my mind when i started exploring the lesser known bands: their albums Punishment For Decadence, No More Color and Mental Vortex impressed me with some of the best guitarwork in the genre. Toxik's first album and Think This and Artillery's By Inheritance are also two albums i would suggest whitout doubt to any thrash fan.

Voivod are one of the best bands ever, but their album took me a while to appreciate: Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross and the latest The Wake have some of the most unorthodox and creative guitar work in the whole genre. If you try them prepare for a trip!

There are also albums i really hold dear because they were some of the first i discovered outside the big names: Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death (some of the most violent thrash ever) Sacrifice's Soldiers of Misfortune (a darker, moodier experience than their early albums) Dark Angel's Darkness Descends and Time Does Not Heal (both different crazy albums with some of the darkest material of the genre) and Mekong Delta's Music of Erich Zann (frantic, technical thrash)

Then in the end for more recent material you can try albums like Vulture's The Guillottine and Antichrist (SWE) 's two fantastic albums.

I listed quite a lot of stuff, but it should be a good start! Once you get going then you can proceed with the "similar artists" tab on find a whole new world of music :)


also shout out to thrasher extraordinaire Dungeon_Vic to see if i missed some really important ones! :lol:

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1237
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 am 
 

The_Doo_Over wrote:
I have been listening to Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament for a couple of years now. Recently, I have also been getting into the Teutonic Big Four (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, and Tankard), as well as Anthrax and Slayer. I’m honestly wondering what other thrash bands you (or anyone) would recommend to me since I want to get even further into the genre and spice up my listening experience. So what other thrash bands (from any timeline and country) would you (or anyone else who wants to answer my question) recommend I start listening to?

There's so many mate but I'll recommend just a few off the top of my head for now, don't wanna over do it.

Exodus
Dark Angel
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Death Angel
Nuclear Assault
Annihilator
Flotsam And Jetsam
Sacred Reich
Nasty Savage
Agent Steel
Sabbat (UK)
Metal Church
Coroner
Possessed
Artillery
Razor
Voivod
Exciter
Sacrifice
Mortal Sin
Sarcofago
Laaz Rockit
Onslaught
Celtic Frost
Bathory
Hirax
Morbid Saint
Suicidal Tendencies
D.R.I.

Like most bands it's the earlier releases you should check out first. Enjoy.

Top
 Profile  
The_Doo_Over
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:29 pm
Posts: 22
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:10 pm 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:

There's so many mate but I'll recommend just a few off the top of my head for now, don't wanna over do it.

Exodus
Dark Angel
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Death Angel
Nuclear Assault
Annihilator
Flotsam And Jetsam
Sacred Reich
Nasty Savage
Agent Steel
Sabbat (UK)
Metal Church
Coroner
Possessed
Artillery
Razor
Voivod
Exciter
Sacrifice
Mortal Sin
Sarcofago
Laaz Rockit
Onslaught
Celtic Frost
Bathory
Hirax
Morbid Saint
Suicidal Tendencies
D.R.I.

Like most bands it's the earlier releases you should check out first. Enjoy.[/quote]

Thank you for recommending all of these bands to me. I have been exposed to Bathory’s first two albums (a few days ago), Possessed’s first album, most of Voivod’s first album, and one Death Angel track (“The Ultra-Violence). Even out of these bands, I still have so much more to listen to, and even more so for the other bands mentioned that I have never listened to. I can’t wait to start listening to all of these bands.

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1237
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:26 am 
 

The_Doo_Over wrote:
Thank you for recommending all of these bands to me. I have been exposed to Bathory’s first two albums (a few days ago), Possessed’s first album, most of Voivod’s first album, and one Death Angel track (“The Ultra-Violence). Even out of these bands, I still have so much more to listen to, and even more so for the other bands mentioned that I have never listened to. I can’t wait to start listening to all of these bands.

Happy to help out. I've been listening to this stuff since the late 80's, absolutely love it and it's cool to see people are still keen to check this stuff out. If you need any other band or album recs just ask.

Top
 Profile  
JimbolikesPizza
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 am
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:55 am 
 

The_Doo_Over wrote:
I have been listening to Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament for a couple of years now. Recently, I have also been getting into the Teutonic Big Four (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, and Tankard), as well as Anthrax and Slayer. I’m honestly wondering what other thrash bands you (or anyone) would recommend to me since I want to get even further into the genre and spice up my listening experience. So what other thrash bands (from any timeline and country) would you (or anyone else who wants to answer my question) recommend I start listening to?


MetlaNZ has a great list. I'll list some other bands, mostly newer.


Warbringer
Havok
Power Trip
Lich King
Xentrix
Hazzerd
Municipal Waste
Iron Reagan
Evildead
Toxic Holocaust
Enforced
Whiplash
Overkill
Violator
S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death)
M.O.D. (Method of Destruction)
Lazarus A.D.
High Command
Demolition Hammer
Skeleton Pit
Terrifier
Lost Society
Thrashwall
Netherblade
Bio-Cancer

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1237
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:02 am 
 


Mordred have released a new song from the upcoming album "The Dark Parade". When I first heard it I thought it sucked because the vocals just did not impress me but... it's growing on me with each listen. It's starting to make sense. Strange.

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 1005
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm 
 

So I've been getting into Nailbomb's "Point Blank" album lately, and I really enjoy the mix between thrash metal and industrial metal. Are there any other good bands/albums that mix in thrash with some industrial metal?
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2360
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:21 am 
 

Slater922 wrote:
So I've been getting into Nailbomb's "Point Blank" album lately, and I really enjoy the mix between thrash metal and industrial metal. Are there any other good bands/albums that mix in thrash with some industrial metal?


Are you familiar with Prong albums like Beg to Differ, Cleansing, Prove you Wrong... ? they have a very interesting mechanized, surgical atmosphere, but they tend to be slower than Nailbomb

Also there is also the mandatory Rio Grande Blood by Ministry: check out the sheer sonic attack of the title track, the bridge-into-solo section at 2:42 is glorious

Spoiler: show

Top
 Profile  
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:00 am
Posts: 1170
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:27 am 
 

Ministry was my first thought too. Strapping Young Lad - City was the second.
_________________
42

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Top
 Profile  
Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 2:22 pm
Posts: 30
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:17 pm 
 

Is there a “Your Favorite Thrash Metal Albums List” thread or poll here somewhere? Or even other sub genres like black metal or death metal list. I would like to make a survey of most popular or most liked albums here. Please link me up I can’t seem to find one even if I make a search of it. Thanks in advance to all.

Top
 Profile  
Don Karlos
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:44 am
Posts: 76
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:18 pm 
 

Few more good ones not listed yet :

Angelus Apatrida

In Malices Wake

Crisix

Hatriot

Top
 Profile  
firelord_
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 45
Location: DMT space
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:22 am 
 

Recently found this gem I've been enjoying a lot. Old-school death/thrash, reminds me of Demolition Hammer with a touch of Solstice. Chunky guitar tone and violent thrashy spirit. Gotta check out the rest of their discography, apparently they've released two LPs already. The intro riff on this EP had me sold straight away, check it out!

_________________
Zoning out

Top
 Profile  
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 am
Posts: 121
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:09 am 
 

PREPARE THE LARGE BONER OF TECH THRASH

I'm looking for flashy, notey stuff that's musically distinct from what thrash normally sounds like. Show me all of the crazy things.

Already familiar with:

Coroner (gold standard #1)
Watchtower - Control And Resistance (gold standard #2)
Deathrow - Deception Ignored (gold standard #3. To this day, I have trouble believing something this awesome was conceived by human beings)
Voivod - Killing Technology (gold standard #4. Other stuff is also amazing, but this is the only one that I can say fits that definition)
Mekong Delta (haven't dug deeper into their catalogue as of yet)
Destruction - Release From Agony (surgery put to music)
Helstar - Nosferatu (borderline, but musically it does fit what I'm looking for)
Hexenhaus (cool occult stuff)
Toxik (it's alright I guess)
Anacrusis (Fuck that vocalist, but I wouldn't mind something like Reason or Manic Impressions musically)
Artillery, Heathen, Paradox (borderline, I wouldn't call them tech-thrash, but they're all flashy and awesome)

Long thrash without any stand-out things (do not want):

Metallica - AJFA
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal

In return, I wish to show you this. Found them through Bandcamp and am loving it. Flashy riffs and solos everywhere, very catchy, intelligent lyrics... fucking amazing. Might review it later.


Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2360
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:50 am 
 

Aspid (from Russia) fits in your description, and if you are willing to accept some death metal in your thrash there is Hellwitch's Syzygial Miscreancy which has bonkers playing.

if you are searching more obscure bands there is Abuser's only album: while not being excessively acrobatic it has a lot really interesting riffs overall.
Midas Touch also was a fine band of borderline tech-thrash.

On the weirder side of things there are Obliveon from Canada: they have a lot of unpredictable, angular riffs and odd song structures. Their album Nemesis is really interesting.

Top
 Profile  
SouthofHeaven11
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 114
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:55 am 
 

Bonehunter’s new album crushes hard

Top
 Profile  
caio160
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:43 pm
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:41 am 
 

Gas_Snake wrote:
PREPARE THE LARGE BONER OF TECH THRASH

I'm looking for flashy, notey stuff that's musically distinct from what thrash normally sounds like. Show me all of the crazy things.

Already familiar with:

Coroner (gold standard #1)
Watchtower - Control And Resistance (gold standard #2)
Deathrow - Deception Ignored (gold standard #3. To this day, I have trouble believing something this awesome was conceived by human beings)
Voivod - Killing Technology (gold standard #4. Other stuff is also amazing, but this is the only one that I can say fits that definition)
Mekong Delta (haven't dug deeper into their catalogue as of yet)
Destruction - Release From Agony (surgery put to music)
Helstar - Nosferatu (borderline, but musically it does fit what I'm looking for)
Hexenhaus (cool occult stuff)
Toxik (it's alright I guess)
Anacrusis (Fuck that vocalist, but I wouldn't mind something like Reason or Manic Impressions musically)
Artillery, Heathen, Paradox (borderline, I wouldn't call them tech-thrash, but they're all flashy and awesome)

Long thrash without any stand-out things (do not want):

Metallica - AJFA
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal

In return, I wish to show you this. Found them through Bandcamp and am loving it. Flashy riffs and solos everywhere, very catchy, intelligent lyrics... fucking amazing. Might review it later.



Haven't you checked out Vektor?

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1237
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:16 am 
 

E-Force return after 6 years with their 5th album Mindbender [released November 19th, 2021]. Check out the 2 singles from it, they sound pretty bloody good to me:


Top
 Profile  
SouthofHeaven11
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:27 pm
Posts: 114
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:56 am 
 

I didn't know about E-Force until very recent when someone mentioned them in that thrash thread in the Metal Discussion forum. Those new singles sound really good.

Top
 Profile  
Coastliner
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:49 am
Posts: 200
Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:51 am 
 

caio160 wrote:
Gas_Snake wrote:
PREPARE THE LARGE BONER OF TECH THRASH

I'm looking for flashy, notey stuff that's musically distinct from what thrash normally sounds like. Show me all of the crazy things.

Already familiar with:

Coroner (gold standard #1)
Watchtower - Control And Resistance (gold standard #2)
Deathrow - Deception Ignored (gold standard #3. To this day, I have trouble believing something this awesome was conceived by human beings)
Voivod - Killing Technology (gold standard #4. Other stuff is also amazing, but this is the only one that I can say fits that definition)
Mekong Delta (haven't dug deeper into their catalogue as of yet)
Destruction - Release From Agony (surgery put to music)
Helstar - Nosferatu (borderline, but musically it does fit what I'm looking for)
Hexenhaus (cool occult stuff)
Toxik (it's alright I guess)
Anacrusis (Fuck that vocalist, but I wouldn't mind something like Reason or Manic Impressions musically)
Artillery, Heathen, Paradox (borderline, I wouldn't call them tech-thrash, but they're all flashy and awesome)

Long thrash without any stand-out things (do not want):

Metallica - AJFA
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal

In return, I wish to show you this. Found them through Bandcamp and am loving it. Flashy riffs and solos everywhere, very catchy, intelligent lyrics... fucking amazing. Might review it later.



Haven't you checked out Vektor?


I'd add (off the top of my head)...

Realm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p89eeUAlwYk
Arcane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL3ce-O ... 2E7335B238
Spiral Architect (Watchtower copy 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ZipHFZTaY
Osiris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpWCDUn7d3Q
Target: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1TG3b961c
"Lifecycle" by Sieges Even (their only tech thrash album, Watchtower copy 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGiyRlo6-Kw
Blind Illusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK4eKYVeu4g
Depressive Age: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJkyL7kE9dA
Despair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPTof7 ... pA&index=1
Calhoun Conquer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqC6NdULNA

... to that list.

And early Hades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlbRiAN ... B5QdTWjgtw
They never really played "tech thrash" but incorporated certain elements.

The same applies to "The New Machine of Liechtenstein" by Holy Moses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsNp-wC8jCc
Not tech thrash but living next door to it.

Plus: "Protected from Reality" by Living Death - if only for the fact that their guitarists also were in Mekong Delta. Not tech thrash at all but no collection of that subgenre is complete without the brilliant instrumental "Wood of Necrophiliac": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkQstb ... nU&index=4
_________________
"The scary thing is: Tony still looks like Tony, whereas I don't look like me."
(Ian Anderson)

Top
 Profile  
septicgoathorn
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:24 am
Posts: 10
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:49 pm 
 

anyone know of any other albums similar to sadus - chemical exposure? i love the brutality which is borderline death metal and the unpredictable creative songwriting on songs like "undead" and "certain death"

i know of morbid saint which comes pretty close but i'm definitely enjoying sadus a lot more currently

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1237
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:59 pm 
 

septicgoathorn wrote:
anyone know of any other albums similar to sadus - chemical exposure? i love the brutality which is borderline death metal and the unpredictable creative songwriting on songs like "undead" and "certain death"

i know of morbid saint which comes pretty close but i'm definitely enjoying sadus a lot more currently

Insanity - Death After Death - there's a great 2CD reissue that came out in 2019 that's well worth checking out, but there's loads of other bands all worth diving into like:

Opprobrium (aka Incubus), Hellwitch, Num Skull, Demolition Hammer, Ripping Corpse, Epidemic, Solstice (US), Pentagram Chile, Pestilence (1st lp), Malevolent Creation (1st & 2nd lps), Athiest (1st lp), Sindrome etc.

If you like this kinda stuff then check out the rather awesome Death/Thrash thread, it's a treasure trove for this stuff.

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 3243
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:44 pm 
 

septicgoathorn wrote:
anyone know of any other albums similar to sadus - chemical exposure? i love the brutality which is borderline death metal and the unpredictable creative songwriting on songs like "undead" and "certain death"

i know of morbid saint which comes pretty close but i'm definitely enjoying sadus a lot more currently


Agressor - Neverending Destiny
Epidemic - Decameron
Epidemic - The Truth of what will be
Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence
Demolition Hammer -Epidemic of Violence
Invocator - Excursion Demise
Incubus - Serpent Temptation
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Devastation - Idolatry
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group