Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:13 am 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
Looking to expand my power metal horizons. Where to start with Angra and Edguy? Also just any general power metal recommendations would be great. Thanks in advance!

Here is a list of the bands I'm currently into:

Avantasia
Blind Guardian
Dimhav
Grave Digger
Kamelot
Lost Horizon
Nightwish
Persuader
Pyramaze
Rhapsody/Of Fire/etc
Sabaton
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Symphony X
Vision Divine

With Edguy, I'd go with the run from Vain Glory Opera to Rocket Ride, inclusive. Best run from that band, for me.

As for other suggestions, well, my first thoughts would be Gamma Ray (from Land of the Free to Majestic especially), Orden Ogan (To The End is their best), HammerFall (mainly the first two) and Powerwolf (they're a lot of fun).

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Listening to Riot - Privilege of Power for the first time; this is some great shit man. Speed and gusto but a lot of attitude and charisma as well. What a great band overall. "Killer" just came on. Very cool, stylish Deep Purple kinda shit. Great.

Wait, you've never heard that one? It's got all the best bits of Thundersteel, but with stronger songwriting and a horn section.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:55 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Listening to Riot - Privilege of Power for the first time; this is some great shit man. Speed and gusto but a lot of attitude and charisma as well. What a great band overall. "Killer" just came on. Very cool, stylish Deep Purple kinda shit. Great.

Wait, you've never heard that one? It's got all the best bits of Thundersteel, but with stronger songwriting and a horn section.

I have heard it now. Probably the best one of theirs I've heard now. It's trad metal that actually was pushing limits in 1990. Marvelous shit man.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:36 pm 

I bought Privilege of Power a few months ago and it's been pretty disappointing to me. There are good songs in there, but the samples and horns and everything else just don't work for me. I'd listen to it frequently if it were just a straightforward album like Thundersteel.

That said, I'm slowly filling out my post-Thundersteel collection and I actually enjoy some of the later 90s albums like Inishmore and Sons of Society. Not as classic as the earlier stuff, but probably better than advertised.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:29 am 

I really think more bands need to make use of horns and saxophones and things like that.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:36 am 

Privilege of Power is an interesting one. The speed metal tunes are arguably better than those of Thundersteel, but I'm not a fan of the extended intros and the mid-paced songs aren't really too interesting either (with the exception of ''Metal Warriors''). Call me crazy, but as far as I'm concerned, Riot peaked with Inishmore.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I really think more bands need to make use of horns and saxophones and things like that.

If it's implemented well I agree, The Privilege of Power feels like a separate tape of horns playing over the band to me though. Then you get weird Bon Jovi-ish tracks like Maryanne or Runaway, plus all those long intros should've at least been separate tracks so I can more easily skip them. Still, the highlights are terrific (Metal Soldiers, Dance of Death, Storming the Gates of Hell, and Black Leather and Glittering Steel are especially juicy) and I do like the respectful way they handled the Al di Meola cover.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:19 am 

"Metal Warriors" might be the most standard one to me. Still some great guitarwork but the chorus is kind of stock.

The intros are certainly a bit much. But the horns I think are interesting, the way they do it.

It's a bit of a scrappy, odd album in parts (like the samples are just so odd in what they're saying) but there's something really exciting about it all.

Re: Irishmore, guess I'll have to try that. I think I heard the song Angel Eyes years and years ago. Mike DiMeo was good on that one Masterplan album (the only really good thing they did).

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:35 am 

There's a lot of promising aspects to the Mike DiMeo era but I always feel like I'm waiting for the big hook to come around and it never does. The Brethren of the Long House and Army of One had their stronger moments of that era for me. Inishmore mostly blurred together though tbf I've only heard it once thus far.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 pm 

The first Riot City album was solid with a few standout tracks, but this new song rules. The vocals are just phenomenal!

https://youtu.be/SX8zNRSP4IE

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:40 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Angra, first two most definitely, that's the really original, unique and special stuff. Then I guess Temple of Shadows, which is a great power metal album but not as special and unique. Same for Rebirth.

Edguy, Vain Glory Opera and Theater of Salvation but I think I am in the minority here, I think most people would prefer Hellfire Club and Mandrake? Or not.

I am assuming Helloween/Gamma Ray, Rage and Running Wild are a given. Those, along with BG, are the essential bands from Germany. I am also guessing you are familiar with Hammerfall (first two if not).

Other bands to check, Brainstorm (Ambiguity, Metus Mortis and Soul Temptation), Scanner (Hypertrace, Terminal Earth and Ball of the Damned. And Mental Reservation), Heavens Gate (Livin' in Hysteria, Planet E), Angel Dust, Crows, Artch, Morgana Lefay, Tad Morose.

Finally, I focused on the european side of things. There are a ton of amazing American bands (Crimson Glory, Savatage, Queensryche, Vicious Rumors, Leatherwolf, Oliver Magnum, Lethal, Sanctuary, Liege Lord, Helstar, +++).

Simfers wrote:
With Edguy, I'd go with the run from Vain Glory Opera to Rocket Ride, inclusive. Best run from that band, for me.

As for other suggestions, well, my first thoughts would be Gamma Ray (from Land of the Free to Majestic especially), Orden Ogan (To The End is their best), HammerFall (mainly the first two) and Powerwolf (they're a lot of fun).

I'll look into all of these thank you both!

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:23 pm 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Angra, first two most definitely, that's the really original, unique and special stuff. Then I guess Temple of Shadows, which is a great power metal album but not as special and unique. Same for Rebirth.

Edguy, Vain Glory Opera and Theater of Salvation but I think I am in the minority here, I think most people would prefer Hellfire Club and Mandrake? Or not.

I am assuming Helloween/Gamma Ray, Rage and Running Wild are a given. Those, along with BG, are the essential bands from Germany. I am also guessing you are familiar with Hammerfall (first two if not).

Other bands to check, Brainstorm (Ambiguity, Metus Mortis and Soul Temptation), Scanner (Hypertrace, Terminal Earth and Ball of the Damned. And Mental Reservation), Heavens Gate (Livin' in Hysteria, Planet E), Angel Dust, Crows, Artch, Morgana Lefay, Tad Morose.

Finally, I focused on the european side of things. There are a ton of amazing American bands (Crimson Glory, Savatage, Queensryche, Vicious Rumors, Leatherwolf, Oliver Magnum, Lethal, Sanctuary, Liege Lord, Helstar, +++).

Simfers wrote:

I'll look into all of these thank you both!

the recent Warrior Path - Mad King album has vocals from the Lost Horizon guy, it's very good.

Still listening to the Pharaoh - The Powers that Be. Good shit, still holds up.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:38 pm 

The Powers That Be is definitely up there with the best stuff of recent metal... still love it.

These old Stormwitch albums are killing me. Great energy and riffs. Just classic songwriting.

ArchaeanKomatiite
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:56 pm 

Looking for stuff with complicated/unusual proggy song structures akin to Mercyful Fate. That’s really my only qualification.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:36 pm 

not in response to the just previous post, but a killer song, Wolfshead's new single:
https://wolfsheadfinland.bandcamp.com/album/power-surge

come to think of it, the b-side has a "complicated/unusual proggy song structure" :D

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:01 pm 

ArchaeanKomatiite wrote:
Looking for stuff with complicated/unusual proggy song structures akin to Mercyful Fate. That’s really my only qualification.

That could mean anything outside the classic structure of verse/chorus x2. Eh.

Enjoy.

Why not?

...my precious gold has turned to rust...

From one of the best metal albums ever recorded.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:47 am 

Holy shit, the new Satan album is so good.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:26 pm 

ArchaeanKomatiite wrote:

This has always been my go-to Fate type album. Not outright cloning like everyone was doing a decade ago, but it just has plenty of unusual twists and turns in the songwriting that I associate with MF. The lead guitars are particularly ambitious in the manner of Sherman and Denner as well. One of the best albums of the decade, really wish we could have gotten more from Borrowed Time.

my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:47 pm 

This Fer De Lance full length is really something. Someone said to me "It sounds like so-called viking metal with clean vocals." Interesting stuff!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:37 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
This Fer De Lance full length is really something. Someone said to me "It sounds like so-called viking metal with clean vocals." Interesting stuff!

Good album!

If someone wants to check out some speedy, balls-to-the-wall, fuck-you-up-with-riffage classic metal check out the newest album from Hellhaim (from my country - Poland) - "Let The Dead Not Lose Hope". From this year and available on youtube:

Denial of Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:15 pm 

Looking for heavy metal that’s influenced by extreme metal. I listened to the new Morgul Blade album and I really loved it, and I really like Molten Chains and the later Satan’s Host stuff as well. Anything in this style would be greatly appreciated!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:50 am 

Some excellent Greek stuff in that vein:

Saboter - The Temple of R'Lyeh

Convixion - Black Magic Night

Sacral Rage - Samsara (L.C.E.) (4th minute onwards)

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:22 pm 

Denial of Life wrote:
Looking for heavy metal that’s influenced by extreme metal. I listened to the new Morgul Blade album and I really loved it, and I really like Molten Chains and the later Satan’s Host stuff as well. Anything in this style would be greatly appreciated!

My go-to answer for this is always Sacred Steel. Try some stuff from their "Iron Blessings" (like "Victory of Black Steel") and "Slaughter Prophecy" albums (here try the title track).

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:11 pm 

Denial of Life wrote:

Some of the post-reunion Manilla Road albums have some death metal influence. I would say it's most pronounced on Voyager, and specifically this track has the most obvious death metal sound, with full-on death growls from Shark and some pretty hefty riffs:

This track from Spiral Castle also has a pretty strong death metal influence, though it's really the only song on the album that does:

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:28 am 

Looking for two bands I found in this thread back when I was regularly reading it around 10 years ago or so, thought you guys might be able to help:

1) death or maybe black/power (or some type of "extreme" or "dark" ) metal band that was really praised here at the time (cca 2010 or so), I know they had one album in the early 2000s that had a cover dominated by the color purple, might have even been their debut, not sure, though...The band's not COB, Kalmah or Norther.

2) Portuguese epic metal, I think stuff like Manila Road/Cirith Ungol/Adramelch/Dark Quarterer...I remember them being formed back in the '80s, but a search of epic/heavy/power metal bands from Portugal formed before 1990 doesn't appear to come up with anything...Maybe I'm having some fake memories here...

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:23 am 

As for number 2 - maybe you mean Ironsword? They were formed in 1995 but they have raw Manilla Road/Cirith Ungol sound down. I may be shooting in the dark here.

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:30 pm 

What would be the most essential Jørn Lande albums to check out? His Avantasia and Ayreon performances are fucking incredible so I want to check him out, but his discography is vast. I've heard the first Masterplan album and the Dracula - Swing of Death one that he did with Trond Hotter (both killer), what should I check out next?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
What would be the most essential Jørn Lande albums to check out? His Avantasia and Ayreon performances are fucking incredible so I want to check him out, but his discography is vast. I've heard the first Masterplan album and the Dracula - Swing of Death one that he did with Trond Hotter (both killer), what should I check out next?

Get Beyond Twilight's debut and Ark's Burn the Sun, those are my favorites I've heard from him.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:56 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:

2) Portuguese epic metal, I think stuff like Manila Road/Cirith Ungol/Adramelch/Dark Quarterer...I remember them being formed back in the '80s, but a search of epic/heavy/power metal bands from Portugal formed before 1990 doesn't appear to come up with anything...Maybe I'm having some fake memories here...

Could it be Tarantula who you're looking for?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:49 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:
1) death or maybe black/power (or some type of "extreme" or "dark" ) metal band that was really praised here at the time (cca 2010 or so), I know they had one album in the early 2000s that had a cover dominated by the color purple, might have even been their debut, not sure, though...The band's not COB, Kalmah or Norther.

Dispatched's Motherwar from 2000 is purple, and has been praised by me occasionally.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 am 

More blue than purple, but it fits the black/power description and I remember it getting a fair amount of praise around then (I think?). Could be this?

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:08 pm 

TheGreatDuck wrote:

Destiny's End?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:55 am 

^^ Even if that's not the band, it's a masterpiece!

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:17 am 

Just finished listening to the Stygian Oath debut album, Midnight Flames. Greek band, heavy/power that had released a very solid EP 4 years ago. The album is significantly better and the opening song Raging Skies is fucking amazing - highly recommended!

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:57 pm 

I like Eternal Champion and Rhapsody(when they were Rhapsody). What other bands might I like?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:37 pm 

Amosofnlm wrote:
I like Eternal Champion and Rhapsody(when they were Rhapsody). What other bands might I like?

In the style of Eternal Champion:

Solstice (UK)
Atlantean Kodex
Manilla Road
Omen
Brocas Helm
Slough Feg

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:48 pm 

I get the appeal of EC but yeah all the bands he just listed are so much better.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:56 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Amosofnlm wrote:

In the style of Eternal Champion:

Solstice (UK)
Atlantean Kodex
Manilla Road
Omen
Brocas Helm
Slough Feg

Nice recs and I'll add Domine too.

Krist4Lyne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:02 am 

Does anyone know of a band similar to ADX ? Especially one with a similar drums' work ?

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:40 pm 

What are the best starter albums for the following bands:

Helmet
Twisted Sister
Dokken
W.A.S.P
Skid Row
King Diamond
Mercyful Fate

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 615, 616, 617, 618, 619, 620, 621 ... 624  Next