Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:54 pm 

With women's reproductive rights under attack, I was wondering what are some good metal songs with pro-choice lyrical themes? The sub-genre doesn't matter, just any metal songs with lyrics that are either pro-choice or calling out the hypocrisy of the pro-life movement.

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:03 am 

Wasn't there a Slayer song?

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:17 am 

Wyrmbane wrote:

Yeah, Silent Scream.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:38 pm 

Choices by Iron Man is the first one that came to mind.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:58 am 

Metal is rather dubiously more pro-life it would seem. That cited Slayer song is not pro-choice. It shares the title of the 1984 propaganda film...also, just read the lyrics ffs.

There's a ton of other coded and dog whistle type pro-life lyrics from some 80's metal but right now I can only think of Fates Warning's "Guardian".

Not forgetting Type O Negative's "These Three Things", King's X - "Legal Kill" and Galactic Cowboys' "If I Were A Killer"....

Actual sorta pro-choice song I'm aware of is Death's "Altering the Future" off Spiritual Healing;

To exist in this world might be a mistake
The one who is with child
It's their choice to make

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:50 am 

DanielG06 wrote:
Wyrmbane wrote:

Yeah, Silent Scream.

Except, isn't that song the opposing view? Thought it was accepted to be an anti-abortion song. Especially knowing Tom (who wrote the lyrics) and his uber Catholicism.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 3:00 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
DanielG06 wrote:
Wyrmbane wrote:

Yeah, Silent Scream.

Except, isn't that song the opposing view? Thought it was accepted to be an anti-abortion song. Especially knowing Tom (who wrote the lyrics) and his uber Catholicism.

I was going to say this in my reply, I don't think the song is pro-choice either. It does sound quite aggressively anti-abortion, but judging by most of the band's lyrics I'm guessing they just used abortion for shock value and of course had to include the morbid language to go with it. It's probably from a neutral standpoint.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

trashberd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:04 pm 

Everything Dave Trenga touches is gold.

Behind Enemy Lines is a bit more into the crustier/punkier side of thing, but they're his most metal themed project.
Here ye find what ye seek

His other projects are much more firmly punk, but all cover all sorts of very political topics you might enjoy.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:56 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
There's a ton of other coded and dog whistle type pro-life lyrics from some 80's metal but right now I can only think of Fates Warning's "Guardian".

John Arch has actually confirmed that Guardian isn't about abortion but rather about his brother's medical issues.

http://fateswarning.com/1996/01/01/eternal-flame-john-arch-interview-1996/

Quote:
The concept for the album title was derived from the song ‘Guardian’ which pays tribute to all challenged kids young and old, who will never know what it’s like to walk – see – hear etc… Gee, ‘how unprofessional’. (Sorry that was uncalled for). I have a brother who is quadriplegic and has no will left, but for some reason outlives his life expectancy by almost 20 years. That inspired the mood for that song. This past year Jim asked me to sing Guardian with them and after the show a guy walked up to me and told me he had been in a bad accident and he was told he probably wouldn’t walk again. He said while he was in the hospital listening to Guardian he realized the message and what it meant to him. I felt really good knowing it helped him through a tough time in his life.”

On topic, Transgressive is a pro choice thrash song down to having an EP titled Seize the Means of Reproduction.

https://transgressivethrash.bandcamp.com/album/seize-the-means-of-reproduction

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:16 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Metal is rather dubiously more pro-life it would seem. That cited Slayer song is not pro-choice. It shares the title of the 1984 propaganda film...also, just read the lyrics ffs.

Not forgetting Type O Negative's "These Three Things", King's X - "Legal Kill" and Galactic Cowboys' "If I Were A Killer"....

Actual sorta pro-choice song I'm aware of is Death's "Altering the Future" off Spiritual Healing;

To exist in this world might be a mistake

Regarding These Three Things by Type O - that was written during the midst of Pete’s born (dead?) again phase, and rest of the band disavowed the lyrical content. A few years earlier, when discussing the topic of abortion, Pete stated “abortion is murder, but bringing an unwanted child into this world is worse than murder, therefore I am pro choice”.

Slightly more nuanced than the lyrics of TTT.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:55 am 

Actually a pro life song. I just want to give people more reasons to not like this shitty band. In case people weren’t aware. It really is comical how many (older) metal bands seem to be on the pro life tip.

Toizumi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:47 am 

Edit: This song is already mentioned above.....

"Altering the Future" by Death.

Creating a life only to destroy
Saved from a life of the unemployed
Where crime is the only way to survive
Which is the best to be dead or alive?
Maybe a chance but maybe not
Born to be thrown in the trash to rot
To exist in this world may be a mistake

Reply to topic