Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:20 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I'm getting started with depressive black metal.

Some of my favorites:

Wigrid is always the best answer for DSBM
Spoiler: show

Hermodr

Deadlife

Candina is a new one man band with a really unique style of DSBM. A little more aggressive and angry than usual, but oh so wonderfully miserable.

NONE

Totalselfhatred

Dodsferd (especially/mostly this album. This is only the first song)

Abyssic Hate (as mentioned by SafassThin)

edit: I should probably also add Withered Grey

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:14 pm 

Recently, I grew quite fond of Watain and I wonder if there are bands that sounds somewhat similar to their first album Rabid Death’s Curse. If you know any feel free to let me know.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:52 pm 

Looking for more post-punk inspired black metal, in the vein of Weathered Crest, Ruine, and later Keres and Circle of Ouroborus. I've done a fair bit of digging already but surely I've missed some.

alebeam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:50 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Looking for more post-punk inspired black metal, in the vein of Weathered Crest, Ruine, and later Keres and Circle of Ouroborus. I've done a fair bit of digging already but surely I've missed some.

did you see the new Ruine album?
''Révolte et Crânerie Paysanne''
https://youtu.be/A54ccSZ7CsE

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:18 pm 

I did! Its got its moments but the debut for me is among the best the style has to offer. Thanks though!

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:21 pm 

I am looking for black metal bands that use a european 19th century (which means 1800-1899) thematic. Are there any? I only found "Somme - Prussian Blood"
Recommendations please

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:48 am 

Try Departure Chandelier.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:23 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:

Oh i know this one already, i like them (y)

mucas_collar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:15 pm 

I'm a little bit new to black metal, and am having trouble finding vocalists I resonate with as much as Hat, who was with Gorgoroth pre-1995. Could anyone recommend a band with similar vocals? What I like about Hat is that he's high-pitched without sounding cartoonish, and has a great snarl going on at the same time. Of course plenty of black metal vocalists have a high range, but Hat just clicks with me in a way that others don't.

"Begravelsesnatt" from Pentagram is a great one; hopefully you'll see what I mean.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:20 am 

Looking for black metal that relies more on slow or mid-paced riffs than the traditional blast beats and fast chords.

Examples:

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:30 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Looking for black metal that relies more on slow or mid-paced riffs than the traditional blast beats and fast chords.

Examples:

A long time ago, I tried and explored a bit the slowest sides of BM. Although I bought a bunch of cds, I eventually realized that wasn't the music I could enjoy completely. However, mid-tempo BM is a scene on its own: there're lots of them.

Carpathian Forest is quite similar to your first example. I def recommend them.

As for slow BM, there're very few, but it does exist. I'm thinking of these:

Hate Forest/ Batterfields
Lurker of Chalice/ st
Inquisition/ any album
Beherit/ Engram

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:31 pm 

mucas_collar wrote:
I'm a little bit new to black metal, and am having trouble finding vocalists I resonate with as much as Hat, who was with Gorgoroth pre-1995. Could anyone recommend a band with similar vocals? What I like about Hat is that he's high-pitched without sounding cartoonish, and has a great snarl going on at the same time. Of course plenty of black metal vocalists have a high range, but Hat just clicks with me in a way that others don't.

"Begravelsesnatt" from Pentagram is a great one; hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Pest (the guy who replaced Hat) has a pretty similar vocal style, the first time I heard Obtained Enslavement's album Witchcraft I thought they were the same person, more so than on Under the Sign of Hell at least.

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Aeternus' And so the Night Became
Nyktalgia's Self Titled album
Hades' Dawn of the Dying Sun

Aeternus is the fastest of these but this album is a classic and spends a large chunk of its runtime in slow tempos or mid-fast driving double bass sections instead of straight blasting through.

ArugulaLime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:45 pm 

Red_Death wrote:
Hi folks,

so I've been kind of digging around the fringes of my tastes recently, and one thing I'm curious about is upbeat, uplifting and triumphant-sounding black metal that doesn't really shade into post-black. It's quite far from what I appreciate the most about the sub-genre, so I got this idea of testing this out and challenging myself in a manner of speaking. Bonus points definitely go to entire albums with such music+vibe. Any recommendations?

Maybe you'll like Woods of Desolation- Torn Beyond Reason.
I haven't listened to their other albums yet so not sure if they keep the uplifting sound.

https://youtu.be/jJlkR358yjY

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 am 

I'm looking for the kind of depressive black metal with a completely bleak message about life.
Some bands I have enjoyed are : --- Forgotten Tomb, Darkthrone, Darkspace, Emperor, Judas Iscariot and of course Mayhem

PS: I want to have nothing to do with any bands that are in any way involved in cruelty of any kind to humans or animals. F@#K those guys I think Bethlehem is one of those ass#$%%

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:56 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for the kind of depressive black metal with a completely bleak message about life.
Some bands I have enjoyed are : --- Forgotten Tomb, Darkthrone, Darkspace, Emperor, Judas Iscariot and of course Mayhem

PS: I want to have nothing to do with any bands that are in any way involved in cruelty of any kind to humans or animals. F@#K those guys I think Bethlehem is one of those ass#$%%

Coldworld and Xasthur are pretty obvious answers, but if you haven't tried them, I'd start there. They have pretty bleak lyrics, especially the latter. Shit like "for I dug a mass grave in abysmal depths, for this wasted human race shall never be born again."

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:32 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Coldworld and Xasthur are pretty obvious answers, but if you haven't tried them, I'd start there. They have pretty bleak lyrics, especially the latter. Shit like "for I dug a mass grave in abysmal depths, for this wasted human race shall never be born again."

Leviathan is also a notable project, similar to Xasthur but much more aggressive I'd say. Also, Veil is a pretty good band, I don't think they're as good musically but definitely have a depressing feeling.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:55 pm 

Hi! Can anyone recommend some bm in the vein of PDH, Endlichtkeit and such? I am aware of Battle Dagorath, Darkspace and such but I am also looking for that winter, nature or rural theme and rawness. Thank you.

niddingdad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:20 pm 

I've recently started digging into Gothic Black Metal, but it seems like most of the releases in the genre are too melodic for my taste and/or have a production that sounds far too polished and clean to me. I'm looking for albums with a rawer, more primitive sound (more like typical black metal) and themes like occultism/romanticism/mysticism. I've already checked out some well-known bands like Graveworm, Siebenbürgen, Septicflesh but really disliked all of them because of the aforementioned reasons.

Some of my favorite records are Under Satanae EP & Wolfheart by Moonspell, Blacken the Angel by Agathodaimon and Thy Mighty Contract & Triarchy of the Lost Lovers by Rotting Christ. Would appreciate it a lot if anyone has recommendations to guide me in this genre that I'm not too familiar with.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:07 am 

Try Gehenna's First Spell, it might fit the grim goth vibe.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:51 am 

niddingdad wrote:
I've recently started digging into Gothic Black Metal, but it seems like most of the releases in the genre are too melodic for my taste and/or have a production that sounds far too polished and clean to me. I'm looking for albums with a rawer, more primitive sound (more like typical black metal) and themes like occultism/romanticism/mysticism. I've already checked out some well-known bands like Graveworm, Siebenbürgen, Septicflesh but really disliked all of them because of the aforementioned reasons.

Some of my favorite records are Under Satanae EP & Wolfheart by Moonspell, Blacken the Angel by Agathodaimon and Thy Mighty Contract & Triarchy of the Lost Lovers by Rotting Christ. Would appreciate it a lot if anyone has recommendations to guide me in this genre that I'm not too familiar with.

Try Henbane by Cultes des Ghoules

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:21 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hi! Can anyone recommend some bm in the vein of PDH, Endlichtkeit and such? I am aware of Battle Dagorath, Darkspace and such but I am also looking for that winter, nature or rural theme and rawness. Thank you.

Not sure whether these will hit the mark (or if you already know them, probably do :-D ), but I'll throw a couple out there anyway.

Forhist

Quite raw with a nature themed vibe to it.

Aurvandil - Thrones

This album is fucking incredible.

Instinct

Basically unheard of UK BM. Extremely rural and nature inspired. Interesting (sometimes strange) stuff when you're in the mood for it. Rawness in spades.

Ephemer

Not sure if this will be anywhere near what you're asking for, but it fucking rules. I get a medieval, forest worshiping cult vibe from this slab of blasphemy. So good.

Not sure if I was any help, but there you go.

My collection

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:20 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jC91f0m0JM

New Ymir song with Corvus at vocals

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:12 am 

Anyone have suggestions of Orchestral black metal bands who use choral vocals like the beginning of https://lucernamundi.bandcamp.com/track ... r-shadow-2

Krist4Lyne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:22 pm 

Does someone know a band similar to german Carn Dum ?

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:07 am 

Looking for some leftist black metal bands. I’m already familiar with big names like Wolves In The Throne Room, Panopticon, Dawn Ray’d etc. but the subgenre doesn’t matter as long as leftist themes are present within the theme of the band.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:47 pm 

Krist4Lyne wrote:

Summoning a bit or (you can give a try) Cirith Gorgor

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:18 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for some leftist black metal bands. I’m already familiar with big names like Wolves In The Throne Room, Panopticon, Dawn Ray’d etc. but the subgenre doesn’t matter as long as leftist themes are present within the theme of the band.

Give Ethereal Shroud a shot. Definitely one of the standout leftist releases of last year.

https://etherealshroud.bandcamp.com/album/trisagion

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:37 pm 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

Give Ethereal Shroud a shot. Definitely one of the standout leftist releases of last year.

https://etherealshroud.bandcamp.com/album/trisagion

Stunning album but for me it’s a depressive bm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:04 pm 

Mystras, a project of Ayloss who's more notable in Spectral Lore, directly talks about class struggle in a historical context. https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/My ... iscography

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:16 pm 

The guys from Yellow Eyes are leftist so i guess the lyrics are too?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:25 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:

Just look for bands that list themselves as RABM, there are quite a few.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:08 am 

I have a massive list of bands I have my eyes on, below is the post-black metal section. Who would you guys recommend most out of the names you recognize?

List:
    Amesoeurs
    Au-Dessus
    Emptiness
    Trna
    OAR
    ​​Lascar
    Frigoris
    Heretoir
    Sivyj Yar
    Numenorean
    Nebula Orionis

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:56 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I have a massive list of bands I have my eyes on, below is the post-black metal section. Who would you guys recommend most out of the names you recognize?

List:
    Amesoeurs
    Au-Dessus
    Emptiness
    Trna
    OAR
    ​​Lascar
    Frigoris
    Heretoir
    Sivyj Yar
    Numenorean
    Nebula Orionis

Definitely Emptiness.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:19 am 

Oops, I suppose emptiness shouldn't have been in that list, I gotta organize better. Are any of the actual post-black ones particularly good?

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:16 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Oops, I suppose emptiness shouldn't have been in that list, I gotta organize better. Are any of the actual post-black ones particularly good?

Sorry, but i cant help you there as i haven't heard any of them except Amesours and i didnt like it.

However if anything i can recommend you White ward, falls of rauros, show me a dinosaur, lantlos - those are the post-black bands i like

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:49 pm 

LilTito wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Sorry, but i cant help you there as i haven't heard any of them except Amesours and i didnt like it.

However if anything i can recommend you White ward, falls of rauros, show me a dinosaur, lantlos - those are the post-black bands i like

I'll check those out too. I listened to Lantlos last night and it was decent.

Krist4Lyne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:41 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

List:
    Amesoeurs
    Au-Dessus
    Emptiness
    Trna
    OAR
    ​​Lascar
    Frigoris
    Heretoir
    Sivyj Yar
    Numenorean
    Nebula Orionis

I would definitely not recommend Amesoeurs. It's only a sub-Alcest.
By the way, some members are fascists and it seems to be a big no for many people here... just warning you.

Do you know of black metal bands with female vocalist ?

Krist4Lyne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:13 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Krist4Lyne wrote:

Summoning a bit or (you can give a try) Cirith Gorgor

Sorry, I hadn't seen your answer.
I unfortunately knew already about both these bands but you get my thanks.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:11 am 

Krist4Lyne wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

List:
    Amesoeurs
    Au-Dessus
    Emptiness
    Trna
    OAR
    ​​Lascar
    Frigoris
    Heretoir
    Sivyj Yar
    Numenorean
    Nebula Orionis

I would definitely not recommend Amesoeurs. It's only a sub-Alcest.
By the way, some members are fascists and it seems to be a big no for many people here... just warning you.

Do you know of black metal bands with female vocalist ?

Gateway To Selfdestruction

SafassThin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:13 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for some leftist black metal bands.

Try Sordide.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 231  Next