Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:07 pm 

I never got over The Wandering Midget breaking up and I need to find something else that sounds like them. I like most of the other finnish trad doom bands, but I need that loose rhythm section and indescribable weird vibe that feels like the musical equivalent to a Clark Ashton Smith story. Reverend Bizarre, for instance, doesn't quite do it. I don't know that they even sound that similar, but I though Church of Void were the next best thing until they split up too.

Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:55 am 

CONAN - Evidence Of Immortality , new LP !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6CBi_nBxe0

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:05 am 

rarezuzuh wrote:
I never got over The Wandering Midget breaking up and I need to find something else that sounds like them. I like most of the other finnish trad doom bands, but I need that loose rhythm section and indescribable weird vibe that feels like the musical equivalent to a Clark Ashton Smith story. Reverend Bizarre, for instance, doesn't quite do it. I don't know that they even sound that similar, but I though Church of Void were the next best thing until they split up too.

Maybe give a try to Solemn Lament; it's one of those rare somber trad doom albums, slow and dark with no heavy metal features at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfmf-lMNes

Apostle of solitude is another one in this style.

I take this opportunity to report that TWM have uploaded on their Bc their albums for free!

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:02 pm 

Can anyone recommend something similar to Monoliths?

Slow, crushing, surprisingly dynamic and not just wallowing in misery like some bands of this ilk.

OceansRival
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:37 pm 

rarezuzuh wrote:

Try Gargantuan Blade - It has Samuel Wormius same guy from The Wandering Midget

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:44 pm 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Can anyone recommend something similar to Monoliths?

Slow, crushing, surprisingly dynamic and not just wallowing in misery like some bands of this ilk.

Bongripper are probably your best bet.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:15 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Bongripper are probably your best bet.

Daycent. Thank you!

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:04 am 

What Kyuss album should I start with?

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:17 am 

Footless wrote:

Blues for the Red Sun.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:28 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Footless wrote:

Blues for the Red Sun.

Thank you.

morbid_angle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:52 pm 

Hello, I am looking for some stupidly catchy modern doom like Lucifer and their first album. Thank you.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:12 pm 

So, after a period of digging and a hand from a lastfm user, I’ve gathered about 3/4 of Maciej Koper’s output (dronehouse, dot, Inanition, Life Curse, V12140). Here’s the link where I’ll keep it uploaded for now. Once I complete the discography (or give up on ever finishing it), I’ll upload everything to archive.org as well.

EDITED for the time being

@Morphine1873 the “Eternal Beauty of the End” album keeps eluding me. If at any point you get around to ripping that cassette, I’ll gladly do the cutting and tagging part for the songs.

Last edited by coupdebleus on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:59 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
*snip*

Yo dude I'm pretty sure the mods will REALLY frown on this. Posting pirated downloads of bands' music is how you get music sites shutdown.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:38 am 

I don’t think this qualifies as piracy, Maciej made all of his music freely available from the getgo, you’ll find that info wherever you look for his bands’ output. I’m re-uploading it because it’s no longer available on the net (all the sites in which it was hosted have since gone down), only through P2P sharing.

/E with that being said, can't hurt to ask first, so I'll do that.
Having received no reply so far, I’ll keep from posting it yet. If you want the link, just send me a PM.

Last edited by coupdebleus on Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 pm 

I concur: they guy never sold his production, it's always been offered for free, all his inputs on various boards made this very clear.

Yes, I'll try and convert that bloody tape in digital files eventually. I seem to have got the idea of how I can do that, but I need a tape player, which I got rid of, like an asshole, years ago!

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:20 pm 

Somebody, and everybody, hit me up with your most craziest, most despairing funeral doom. Bands are great, but try to give me some specific album suggestions please.

I find the genre very interesting, but am very new to it. I like Ahab, Ennui, and Nortt, and those are basically the only ones I know.

Someone give me a megalist!!!

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:53 am 

A lot depends on the state of mind you approach the music with, it’s very easy for music expressing intense emotions to vary between feeling serious to completely corny. For example, no matter how lauded the band is, I’ve never been able to listen to Shape of Despair and not feel like it’s just too much, to the point where it’s almost a cliché.

But fwiw, my recommendation is to go with the classics:
Funeral - Tragedies
Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday
Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
Virgin Black - Requiem: Fortissimo (isn’t funeral doom all the way through, but it’s some of the most miserable music ever)
Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:07 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
A lot depends on the state of mind you approach the music with, it’s very easy for music expressing intense emotions to vary between feeling serious to completely corny. For example, no matter how lauded the band is, I’ve never been able to listen to Shape of Despair and not feel like it’s just too much, to the point where it’s almost a cliché.

But fwiw, my recommendation is to go with the classics:
Funeral - Tragedies
Worship - Last Tape Before Doomsday
Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
Virgin Black - Requiem: Fortissimo (isn’t funeral doom all the way through, but it’s some of the most miserable music ever)
Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation

I see exactly what you mean, and agree completely. There is a fine line between expressing real emotions in a serious way, especially negative ones, and coming across as a complete douche. Thanks for the list, dude. Seriously, this kind of music is just speaking to me, so you've given me a doorway to enter that world through.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:46 pm 

Pantheist's first album O Solitude deserves a mention, very elegant, melodic and very sad.

If you look for a less "romantic" approach to misery there is Winter's Into Darkness: It's not strictly funeral doom but it's some of the bleakest music i've ever heard

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:29 pm 

Footless wrote:
Somebody, and everybody, hit me up with your most craziest, most despairing funeral doom!

Considering this specific part of your request, you can't expect a megalist of bands, but I'd like nonetheless to point you to three weird, very special ultra underground albums:

The second demo of I drowned in a Stream of Mourn (the guy had between 12 and 16 when they recorded it and it's magic imo): https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=119833

Whispers by Ysigim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-KdB6yUzw

Apocalypsis Damnare by Rigor Sardonicous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf44r0tlBG0

Among the rawest fd bands, you're likely to find some very bizarre stuff, unpolished, unpolite, babaric and odd... But it's a very small niche within the niche!

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:37 am 

Howdy!

Can anyone recommend me some old-fashioned doom with a vocalist similar to Messiah Marcolin, if such a thing exist? Please, not some too obscure shit that I’m gonna have to spend 200$ to acquire a copy on Discogs.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:39 am 

Bands in the vein of Burning Witch?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:27 am 

kazhard wrote:
Howdy!

Can anyone recommend me some old-fashioned doom with a vocalist similar to Messiah Marcolin, if such a thing exist? Please, not some too obscure shit that I’m gonna have to spend 200$ to acquire a copy on Discogs.

https://cultofsalem.bandcamp.com/album/unhallowed-rites

Lovecraftian doom where Marcolin-like vocals (strikingly similar) are intertwined with raw death-ish growls.

otherwise: While Heaven Wept, Antlantean Kodex, Scald, Doomsword, Below showcase the same kind of theatrical, bigger-than-life vocals Marcolin-era Candlemass does

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:42 pm 

Cult of Salem is exactly what I’m looking for. I already know Atlantean Kodex and Scald but I will definitely check out the others. Thanks.

HellGirl69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:27 pm 

For the life of me I can't find any bands that are super similar to Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean. I love the crushing riffs and harsh, shrill vocals. The cadence of it all is incredible but no bands seem to have the same kinda sound. (Besides maybe Weedeater) I've run through the whole discography so many times and would love to have some new material in the same vein. No band has made me feel like such a junkie since Melvins did a couple years ago.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:35 am 

HellGirl69 wrote:
For the life of me I can't find any bands that are super similar to Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean.

Have you checked out Clinging to the Trees of a Forest Fire? Same mix of ultra heavy "Hardcore-screamo-Doom"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQYqAlTKChg

I also suggest the more popular Primitive Man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRkgHA_fr2I

you could also check the whole catalogue of the French label Throatruiner. It's mostly angry grind/sludge, but clever stuff with lots of good songwriting ideas.

BrainScan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:42 pm 

Any recs for doom bands with clean vocals but also an emphasis on riffs? For example, the last Capilla Ardiente record (The Siege). The dynamic songwriting, crushing riffs, and excellent soloing really appeal to me on that one.

Other doom bands I'm a big fan of: Cathedral, Solstice, Atlantean Kodex, Black Sabbath, Mournful Congregation (an all-time favorite, but doesn't necessarily fit this bill)

Bands I'm familiar with but don't listen to as much: Candlemass, Argus, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble, Crypt Sermon, Reverend Bizarre, Doomsword, Sleep, Purification, The Obsessed, Smoulder, Pagan Altar, Om, Hooded Menace, Elder, Dvne, Monolord, Khemmis, Fvneral Fvkk, Pallbearer, Grand Magus, High on Fire, Uncle Acid, Magic Circle, Windhand, Wheel

Let me know your thoughts and if I'm doing myself a disservice by not diving further into certain groups in the second list. I think Argus may be one of those.

Thanks in advance!

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:21 am 

You definitely oughta give a second try to Candlemass at the very least.
My favourite non-extreme doom album is Scald’s Will of the Gods, check that one out.

BrainScan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:20 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
You definitely oughta give a second try to Candlemass at the very least.
My favourite non-extreme doom album is Scald’s Will of the Gods, check that one out.

Hey thanks for the response. I explored Candlemass pretty extensively some years back, I've heard everything through the 2005 self titled. Nightfall and Ancient Dreams always stood out to me the most and I revisit them occasionally.

I'll definitely give Scald a listen!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:06 am 

be sure to check out also Spirit Descent, Sinister Realm and Forsaken; they all are veterans that write the same kind of epic-tinged doom, full of riffs, like Capilla Ardente without any kind of over-the-top bombast. Too bad CA split up btw!

more modern stuff that are rich riff-wise are Khemmis, Famyne and Witchsorrow that are delivering high-value material.

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satantango
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:59 pm 

BrainScan wrote:
Any recs for doom bands with clean vocals but also an emphasis on riffs? For example, the last Capilla Ardiente record (The Siege). The dynamic songwriting, crushing riffs, and excellent soloing really appeal to me on that one.

Other doom bands I'm a big fan of: Cathedral, Solstice, Atlantean Kodex, Black Sabbath, Mournful Congregation (an all-time favorite, but doesn't necessarily fit this bill)

Bands I'm familiar with but don't listen to as much: Candlemass, Argus, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble, Crypt Sermon, Reverend Bizarre, Doomsword, Sleep, Purification, The Obsessed, Smoulder, Pagan Altar, Om, Hooded Menace, Elder, Dvne, Monolord, Khemmis, Fvneral Fvkk, Pallbearer, Grand Magus, High on Fire, Uncle Acid, Magic Circle, Windhand, Wheel

Let me know your thoughts and if I'm doing myself a disservice by not diving further into certain groups in the second list. I think Argus may be one of those.

Thanks in advance!

Monasterium (Pol) might fit here and also maybe Memory Garden. I'd also like to recommend my favorite record from last year, The Temple (Gre) Of Solitude Triumphant . Maybe not as riffy as Capilla Ardiente but dynamic songwriting for sure. If you're a fan of Solstice, Atlantean Kodex and (I assume) the first Cathedral album you might appreciate it.

From the second List Argus absolutely deserve more attention and the first two Trouble records even moreso.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm 

There are plenty of Sabbath worship bands who draw from the Paranoid/Master of Reality era that focuses on rocking doom riffs, but are there any bands who take influence from Sabbath’s prog era (Vol. 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage)?

Still retaining the thick, grooving doom riffs but with similar levels of experimentation and inventiveness, including some of the emotive acoustic work in the vein of songs like Fluff.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:53 pm 

BrainScan wrote:

Thanks in advance!

You might like Forsaken from Malta. This was the album that got me hooked on 'em:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZRq--tTot0

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Forsaken/964

Forsaken's bassist is in another fantastic band called Nomad Son. They're a bit different than what you might be looking for, but I gotta recommend them too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiPISWndTgs

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/No ... 3540258067

akshuk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:01 pm 

Looking for any recs for atmospheric funeral doom with violins in the vein of iniquitatem, estrangement, mistress of the dead, etc. thanks

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:29 am 

This is a request for the Death doom- FD thread.

I didn't know Iniquitatem. I listened to the first two songs off their bandcamp. Not bad in the UDOM monolithic vein, but I don't hear any violin - or it comes later in the album?....

This also is synth-based, but at least, it sounds like a violin:
https://shadesofdeepwater.bandcamp.com/ ... -its-close

This one is violin-driven all along:
https://ivanbandau.bandcamp.com/album/s ... ross-stars

On Colosseum / ChapterIII, there're beautiful violin lines:
https://metalhit.bandcamp.com/album/chapter-ii-numquam

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:02 pm 

akshuk wrote:
Looking for any recs for atmospheric funeral doom with violins in the vein of iniquitatem, estrangement, mistress of the dead, etc. thanks

Cello, not violin but maybe Asunder would scratch that itch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjx5S1Bn0Zk

I also recently discovered Iceland's one-man funeral doom project Dauðaró which I've come to really enjoy. There's a lot of variety in the music and instrumentation (including violin). This is probably my favorite:
https://daudaro.bandcamp.com/album/kall-a-handan

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:26 am 

I'm looking for the most evil, underground, creepy doom you can think of. Thank you!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:43 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for the most evil, underground, creepy doom you can think of. Thank you!

Any Abysmal Grief album would do.

Black Hole's Land of Mystery and Living Mask albums would probably do too. If you are into keyboard led metal, you might want to try their album Evil in the Dark, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

The 2000 "re-release" or whatever of Antonius Rex's Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:06 am 

Thanks!

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:41 pm 

Can anyone recommend me melodic doom or maybe gothic metal songs/albums that have a riffing style similar to The Whore, The Cook and the Mother by My Dying Bride? Specifically the part at 1:10? The only vaguely similar music that comes to my mind is Jade by Flowing Tears (like the solo at the end of Lovesong for a Dead Child)?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133  Next