Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Footless
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 am
Posts: 182
Location: Whiterun Barracks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:10 pm 
 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Footless wrote:
Really into that Caladan Brood atmospheric/epic stuff. Anywhere I should go from here? Don’t say Burzum or WITTR, lol. Any nice obscure stuff worth listening to?


Elffor
Moongates Guardian
Ered Wetherin
Kinstrife & Blood
Emyn Muil
Druadan Forest
Sojourner
Urdôl Ur


Damn, nice list! Thanks. I will check these out.
_________________
Quote:
Heheh! This gym is great! It's full of women!

"I turn my body from the sun, to follow the fading phantom into the deep."

SIC 'EM, UGA! GO DAWGS!!!

Top
 Profile  
Footless
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 am
Posts: 182
Location: Whiterun Barracks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:15 pm 
 

BloodGnosis wrote:
SafassThin wrote:
BloodGnosis wrote:
I'm looking for bands who combine black metal and dungeon synth in the same song. By searching the archives I've found plenty of bands who have some black metal songs and some dungeon synth songs, but I'm interested to hear a combination of the two genres in the same song.

Like Summoning?

I'm looking for something a bit darker and more lo-fi than Summoning, with more emphasis on the eerie side of dungeon synth.


Grausamkeit? Aäkon Këëtrëh?
_________________
Quote:
Heheh! This gym is great! It's full of women!

"I turn my body from the sun, to follow the fading phantom into the deep."

SIC 'EM, UGA! GO DAWGS!!!

Top
 Profile  
Footless
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 am
Posts: 182
Location: Whiterun Barracks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:19 pm 
 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for some leftist black metal bands. I’m already familiar with big names like Wolves In The Throne Room, Panopticon, Dawn Ray’d etc. but the subgenre doesn’t matter as long as leftist themes are present within the theme of the band.


Try Feminazgûl. The first time I heard No Dawn for Men, it blew my mind. Combines all kind of folk elements and cool instruments, like the violin and the accordion, as well as leaning heavily into the anti-fash/feminism zone, which is always a plus for me. Not to mention, they are fellow Appalachian mountaineers! Representing us hillbillies along with Panopticon!
_________________
Quote:
Heheh! This gym is great! It's full of women!

"I turn my body from the sun, to follow the fading phantom into the deep."

SIC 'EM, UGA! GO DAWGS!!!

Top
 Profile  
Footless
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 am
Posts: 182
Location: Whiterun Barracks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:31 pm 
 

Any obscure first wave black metal bands? That is, not Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, or Sarcofago. You know?
_________________
Quote:
Heheh! This gym is great! It's full of women!

"I turn my body from the sun, to follow the fading phantom into the deep."

SIC 'EM, UGA! GO DAWGS!!!

Top
 Profile  
coupdebleus
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:11 pm
Posts: 167
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:14 am 
 

Well, you didn’t mention Root nor Master’s Hammer, so check them out if you haven’t. Bulldozer shouldn’t be considered obscure by any means either, but I don’t see it brought up often, so there it is as well.

Footless wrote:
Thanks, I will check all of these out. Which Druadan Forest album should I start with? The band's discography appears to be split between the late nineties and the 2010's, should I do the old-school demos or the new albums?

Early demos if you want the dungeon synth sound, LPs if you’re looking for a more modern, epic sound.
_________________
Hellige - Black/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
into_the_pit
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:40 pm
Posts: 2899
Location: Hedonist Occupation Government
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:47 am 
 

Footless wrote:
Any obscure first wave black metal bands? That is, not Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, or Sarcofago. You know?


try NME - unholy death. also tormentor's (hun) first 2 demos. 7th day is pretty gloomy, anno domini is thrashier, but both are fucking amazing.

if you want to check out newer bands in the old spirit, try early power from hell or the first shitfucker album. hellfire (swe) out-bathoried bathory's s/t on their only album.
_________________
Blort wrote:
"The neo-Hegelian overtones contrast heavily with the proto-Nietzschean discordance evident in this piece."
"Um, what work are you examining here?"
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Top
 Profile  
LilTito
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm
Posts: 338
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:32 pm 
 

Footless wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for some leftist black metal bands. I’m already familiar with big names like Wolves In The Throne Room, Panopticon, Dawn Ray’d etc. but the subgenre doesn’t matter as long as leftist themes are present within the theme of the band.


Try Feminazgûl. The first time I heard No Dawn for Men, it blew my mind. Combines all kind of folk elements and cool instruments, like the violin and the accordion, as well as leaning heavily into the anti-fash/feminism zone, which is always a plus for me. Not to mention, they are fellow Appalachian mountaineers! Representing us hillbillies along with Panopticon!

Spectral Lore isn't explictly leftist in his lyrics but the guy behind it, Ayloss, is very much leftist. SL is one of the greatest modern BM acts so i think you check it out ASAP.

Top
 Profile  
MRmehman
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:34 pm
Posts: 765
Location: The Painted World of Ariamis
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:01 pm 
 

Hey fellas! I've been listening to Havukruunu, Vehemence, Obsequie and Wayfayer's World's Blood on my way to work a lot recently. Those bands aren't 100% similar but I'm wondering if anyone know any similar black metal artist: ones who have fairly clean production (totally optional of course), lots of atmosphere, great solos and a bit of a post-rock slant to them. Please no NSBM. Thanks!
_________________
"He who is tired of Candlemass, is tired of life."

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 334273
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2513
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 pm 
 

MRmehman wrote:
Hey fellas! I've been listening to Havukruunu, Vehemence, Obsequie and Wayfayer's World's Blood on my way to work a lot recently. Those bands aren't 100% similar but I'm wondering if anyone know any similar black metal artist: ones who have fairly clean production (totally optional of course), lots of atmosphere, great solos and a bit of a post-rock slant to them. Please no NSBM. Thanks!


Spectral Lore's III should work, great album and like other users said Ayloss is strongly antifascist

Darkenhöld are also interesting, full of epic riffs and great acoustic parts. Aldébaran is a severely underrated guitar player.

Unfortunately i can't really think of other notable bands of this kind without some form of controversy though, even Havukruunu played at past Steelfests...
Aorlhac's last two are great but they were buddies with PN some years ago, Spite Extreme Wing's Vltra deserves mention but the main man was an Evola fanboy, Flamen's guy played in a nsbm band but seems to have severed contacts.. See if those cross your line.

Top
 Profile  
Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 pm
Posts: 631
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:08 pm 
 

MRmehman wrote:
Hey fellas! I've been listening to Havukruunu, Vehemence, Obsequie and Wayfayer's World's Blood on my way to work a lot recently. Those bands aren't 100% similar but I'm wondering if anyone know any similar black metal artist: ones who have fairly clean production (totally optional of course), lots of atmosphere, great solos and a bit of a post-rock slant to them. Please no NSBM. Thanks!


Minenwerfer. Their album Alpenpasse is everything you're describing, its phenomenal. Additionally, the members used to play in Chronaexus who put out a great split with Dodsferd that also fulfills all of these requests.

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 334273
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 2513
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:32 am 
 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
MRmehman wrote:
Hey fellas! I've been listening to Havukruunu, Vehemence, Obsequie and Wayfayer's World's Blood on my way to work a lot recently. Those bands aren't 100% similar but I'm wondering if anyone know any similar black metal artist: ones who have fairly clean production (totally optional of course), lots of atmosphere, great solos and a bit of a post-rock slant to them. Please no NSBM. Thanks!


Minenwerfer. Their album Alpenpasse is everything you're describing, its phenomenal. Additionally, the members used to play in Chronaexus who put out a great split with Dodsferd that also fulfills all of these requests.


That album was relased with the label Purity Through Fire: if they aren't ns themselves they are sure as hell very ok with it.
I think this disclaimer is needed considering the op's request

Top
 Profile  
Footless
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 am
Posts: 182
Location: Whiterun Barracks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:25 pm 
 

coupdebleus wrote:
Footless wrote:
Thanks, I will check all of these out. Which Druadan Forest album should I start with? The band's discography appears to be split between the late nineties and the 2010's, should I do the old-school demos or the new albums?

Early demos if you want the dungeon synth sound, LPs if you’re looking for a more modern, epic sound.


I checked out the demo Mirkwood, which was really neat. It had a really cool feel. I also checked out the album the Lost Dimension, and really digged it.
_________________
Quote:
Heheh! This gym is great! It's full of women!

"I turn my body from the sun, to follow the fading phantom into the deep."

SIC 'EM, UGA! GO DAWGS!!!

Top
 Profile  
Thecrookedman
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:58 am
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:55 pm 
 

Hey I was wondering if you guys could recommend some bands for me. i'm looking for some BM bands that sound grim, masculine and feral. Some obscure songs that come to mind are Woodland Conspiracy by Hellvetic Frost, Licentia Poetica by Myrholt or I sluket av Myra.

Top
 Profile  
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm
Posts: 1163
Location: Directly behind you
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:13 am 
 

I've been slacking on Icelandic black metal for too long. What are the best albums to come out of that scene? Misþyrming? Svartidauði? To be honest I don't know shit about any of the bands besides Auðn (good band), who I've heard stand out from the style.
_________________
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
I don't feel anything except melancholy or rage most of the time.

Top
 Profile  
Footless
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:59 am
Posts: 182
Location: Whiterun Barracks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:29 am 
 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I've been slacking on Icelandic black metal for too long. What are the best albums to come out of that scene? Misþyrming? Svartidauði? To be honest I don't know shit about any of the bands besides Auðn (good band), who I've heard stand out from the style.


Ever heard of Null and Void by the band 0?

Also, I can't help but ask, did the person who wrote what's in your signature state that ironically? Because if they didn't, damn, that's really wannabe edgy. It's a good and funny signature, btw.
_________________
Quote:
Heheh! This gym is great! It's full of women!

"I turn my body from the sun, to follow the fading phantom into the deep."

SIC 'EM, UGA! GO DAWGS!!!

Top
 Profile  
into_the_pit
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:40 pm
Posts: 2899
Location: Hedonist Occupation Government
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:42 am 
 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I've been slacking on Icelandic black metal for too long. What are the best albums to come out of that scene? Misþyrming? Svartidauði? To be honest I don't know shit about any of the bands besides Auðn (good band), who I've heard stand out from the style.


oreida's s/t, no doubt.
_________________
Blort wrote:
"The neo-Hegelian overtones contrast heavily with the proto-Nietzschean discordance evident in this piece."
"Um, what work are you examining here?"
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Top
 Profile  
LilTito
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm
Posts: 338
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:52 pm 
 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I've been slacking on Icelandic black metal for too long. What are the best albums to come out of that scene? Misþyrming? Svartidauði? To be honest I don't know shit about any of the bands besides Auðn (good band), who I've heard stand out from the style.

Misthryming's debut for sure. Other diamonds in the rough would be Skaphe2, Wormlust's debut, Almyrkvi and Zhrine.

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 1086
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:35 am 
 

What are your favorite mailorders for black metal band shirts?
_________________
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

Top
 Profile  
DNSFRD
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:08 am
Posts: 1
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:14 am 
 

1. Any good, active female-fronted black metal bands?
2. Any active bands making anything similar to Filosofem? Particularly similar in tone and shares it's relative simplicity and repetitive riffs?
Thanks!

Top
 Profile  
into_the_pit
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:40 pm
Posts: 2899
Location: Hedonist Occupation Government
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:00 am 
 

haven't ordered in a while, but if you don't mind bootlegs, fullmoon shop has some classic designs:

https://fullmoon-shop.org/
_________________
Blort wrote:
"The neo-Hegelian overtones contrast heavily with the proto-Nietzschean discordance evident in this piece."
"Um, what work are you examining here?"
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Top
 Profile  
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm
Posts: 213
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:53 am 
 

DNSFRD wrote:
1. Any good, active female-fronted black metal bands?


"good" is obviously gonna be subjective, be generally seem to like Hulder, Myrkur, and the aforementioned Feminazgul. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult is a slightly more traditional act that I remember being pretty good. And since they are technically active, if only for a little while longer, gonna use this opportunity to recommend Ludicra, one of the most underrated bands ever imo. Some of the members have moved onto Ails, which is actually active, and also very good.

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 1086
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:38 am 
 

Feminazgul :')
_________________
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

Top
 Profile  
ms8
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:06 am
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:16 am 
 

Hi,

I am looking for black metal bands that sounds like Thorns. Blatant rip-offs are 100% fine to me.

To be more specific, I am not looking for cold/mechanical/industrial black metal bands (e.g., Mysticum, mid-era Satyricon, or even The Deathtrip), nor for anything original (e.g., DHG). I am simply looking for bands that imitate Thorn's guitar sound and riffs. If they go after the early stuff (demos), with no industrial tone, that would actually be even better.

I would imagine that within the endless strem of bands and digital releases, something like that should exist.

Some times ago, I seem to remember I found a group like that on bandcamp, but forgot to take note of the name.

Thank you in advance for any reccomendation.

Top
 Profile  
into_the_pit
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:40 pm
Posts: 2899
Location: Hedonist Occupation Government
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:33 am 
 

ms8 wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for black metal bands that sounds like Thorns. Blatant rip-offs are 100% fine to me.

To be more specific, I am not looking for cold/mechanical/industrial black metal bands (e.g., Mysticum, mid-era Satyricon, or even The Deathtrip), nor for anything original (e.g., DHG). I am simply looking for bands that imitate Thorn's guitar sound and riffs. If they go after the early stuff (demos), with no industrial tone, that would actually be even better.

I would imagine that within the endless strem of bands and digital releases, something like that should exist.

Some times ago, I seem to remember I found a group like that on bandcamp, but forgot to take note of the name.

Thank you in advance for any reccomendation.


good question. very innovative and influential riff wizard that hasn't been (properly) imitated/emulated yet as much as he'd deserve to. since you're probably aware of his guesting/involvement on mayhem and satyricon albums, I can't help your specific request other than leaving this 100% thorns - s/t rip off album for you (haven't checked out this band's other releases yet):

plutonium (SWE) - devilmentertainment non stop
_________________
Blort wrote:
"The neo-Hegelian overtones contrast heavily with the proto-Nietzschean discordance evident in this piece."
"Um, what work are you examining here?"
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group