* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:10 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Footless wrote:
Really into that Caladan Brood atmospheric/epic stuff. Anywhere I should go from here? Don’t say Burzum or WITTR, lol. Any nice obscure stuff worth listening to?

Elffor
Moongates Guardian
Ered Wetherin
Kinstrife & Blood
Emyn Muil
Druadan Forest
Sojourner
Urdôl Ur

Damn, nice list! Thanks. I will check these out.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:15 pm 

BloodGnosis wrote:
SafassThin wrote:
BloodGnosis wrote:
I'm looking for bands who combine black metal and dungeon synth in the same song. By searching the archives I've found plenty of bands who have some black metal songs and some dungeon synth songs, but I'm interested to hear a combination of the two genres in the same song.

Like Summoning?

I'm looking for something a bit darker and more lo-fi than Summoning, with more emphasis on the eerie side of dungeon synth.

Grausamkeit? Aäkon Këëtrëh?

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:19 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for some leftist black metal bands. I’m already familiar with big names like Wolves In The Throne Room, Panopticon, Dawn Ray’d etc. but the subgenre doesn’t matter as long as leftist themes are present within the theme of the band.

Try Feminazgûl. The first time I heard No Dawn for Men, it blew my mind. Combines all kind of folk elements and cool instruments, like the violin and the accordion, as well as leaning heavily into the anti-fash/feminism zone, which is always a plus for me. Not to mention, they are fellow Appalachian mountaineers! Representing us hillbillies along with Panopticon!

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:31 pm 

Any obscure first wave black metal bands? That is, not Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, or Sarcofago. You know?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:14 am 

Well, you didn’t mention Root nor Master’s Hammer, so check them out if you haven’t. Bulldozer shouldn’t be considered obscure by any means either, but I don’t see it brought up often, so there it is as well.

Footless wrote:
Thanks, I will check all of these out. Which Druadan Forest album should I start with? The band's discography appears to be split between the late nineties and the 2010's, should I do the old-school demos or the new albums?

Early demos if you want the dungeon synth sound, LPs if you’re looking for a more modern, epic sound.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:47 am 

Footless wrote:
Any obscure first wave black metal bands? That is, not Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, or Sarcofago. You know?

try NME - unholy death. also tormentor's (hun) first 2 demos. 7th day is pretty gloomy, anno domini is thrashier, but both are fucking amazing.

if you want to check out newer bands in the old spirit, try early power from hell or the first shitfucker album. hellfire (swe) out-bathoried bathory's s/t on their only album.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:32 pm 

Footless wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for some leftist black metal bands. I’m already familiar with big names like Wolves In The Throne Room, Panopticon, Dawn Ray’d etc. but the subgenre doesn’t matter as long as leftist themes are present within the theme of the band.

Try Feminazgûl. The first time I heard No Dawn for Men, it blew my mind. Combines all kind of folk elements and cool instruments, like the violin and the accordion, as well as leaning heavily into the anti-fash/feminism zone, which is always a plus for me. Not to mention, they are fellow Appalachian mountaineers! Representing us hillbillies along with Panopticon!

Spectral Lore isn't explictly leftist in his lyrics but the guy behind it, Ayloss, is very much leftist. SL is one of the greatest modern BM acts so i think you check it out ASAP.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:01 pm 

Hey fellas! I've been listening to Havukruunu, Vehemence, Obsequie and Wayfayer's World's Blood on my way to work a lot recently. Those bands aren't 100% similar but I'm wondering if anyone know any similar black metal artist: ones who have fairly clean production (totally optional of course), lots of atmosphere, great solos and a bit of a post-rock slant to them. Please no NSBM. Thanks!

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Hey fellas! I've been listening to Havukruunu, Vehemence, Obsequie and Wayfayer's World's Blood on my way to work a lot recently. Those bands aren't 100% similar but I'm wondering if anyone know any similar black metal artist: ones who have fairly clean production (totally optional of course), lots of atmosphere, great solos and a bit of a post-rock slant to them. Please no NSBM. Thanks!

Spectral Lore's III should work, great album and like other users said Ayloss is strongly antifascist

Darkenhöld are also interesting, full of epic riffs and great acoustic parts. Aldébaran is a severely underrated guitar player.

Unfortunately i can't really think of other notable bands of this kind without some form of controversy though, even Havukruunu played at past Steelfests...
Aorlhac's last two are great but they were buddies with PN some years ago, Spite Extreme Wing's Vltra deserves mention but the main man was an Evola fanboy, Flamen's guy played in a nsbm band but seems to have severed contacts.. See if those cross your line.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:08 pm 

MRmehman wrote:

Minenwerfer. Their album Alpenpasse is everything you're describing, its phenomenal. Additionally, the members used to play in Chronaexus who put out a great split with Dodsferd that also fulfills all of these requests.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:32 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

Minenwerfer. Their album Alpenpasse is everything you're describing, its phenomenal. Additionally, the members used to play in Chronaexus who put out a great split with Dodsferd that also fulfills all of these requests.

That album was relased with the label Purity Through Fire: if they aren't ns themselves they are sure as hell very ok with it.
I think this disclaimer is needed considering the op's request

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:25 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
Footless wrote:
Thanks, I will check all of these out. Which Druadan Forest album should I start with? The band's discography appears to be split between the late nineties and the 2010's, should I do the old-school demos or the new albums?

Early demos if you want the dungeon synth sound, LPs if you’re looking for a more modern, epic sound.

I checked out the demo Mirkwood, which was really neat. It had a really cool feel. I also checked out the album the Lost Dimension, and really digged it.

Thecrookedman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:55 pm 

Hey I was wondering if you guys could recommend some bands for me. i'm looking for some BM bands that sound grim, masculine and feral. Some obscure songs that come to mind are Woodland Conspiracy by Hellvetic Frost, Licentia Poetica by Myrholt or I sluket av Myra.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:13 am 

I've been slacking on Icelandic black metal for too long. What are the best albums to come out of that scene? Misþyrming? Svartidauði? To be honest I don't know shit about any of the bands besides Auðn (good band), who I've heard stand out from the style.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:29 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I've been slacking on Icelandic black metal for too long. What are the best albums to come out of that scene? Misþyrming? Svartidauði? To be honest I don't know shit about any of the bands besides Auðn (good band), who I've heard stand out from the style.

Ever heard of Null and Void by the band 0?

Also, I can't help but ask, did the person who wrote what's in your signature state that ironically? Because if they didn't, damn, that's really wannabe edgy. It's a good and funny signature, btw.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:42 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

oreida's s/t, no doubt.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:52 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Misthryming's debut for sure. Other diamonds in the rough would be Skaphe2, Wormlust's debut, Almyrkvi and Zhrine.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:35 am 

What are your favorite mailorders for black metal band shirts?

DNSFRD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:14 am 

1. Any good, active female-fronted black metal bands?
2. Any active bands making anything similar to Filosofem? Particularly similar in tone and shares it's relative simplicity and repetitive riffs?
Thanks!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:00 am 

haven't ordered in a while, but if you don't mind bootlegs, fullmoon shop has some classic designs:

https://fullmoon-shop.org/
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:53 am 

DNSFRD wrote:

"good" is obviously gonna be subjective, be generally seem to like Hulder, Myrkur, and the aforementioned Feminazgul. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult is a slightly more traditional act that I remember being pretty good. And since they are technically active, if only for a little while longer, gonna use this opportunity to recommend Ludicra, one of the most underrated bands ever imo. Some of the members have moved onto Ails, which is actually active, and also very good.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:38 am 

Feminazgul :')

ms8
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:16 am 

Hi,

I am looking for black metal bands that sounds like Thorns. Blatant rip-offs are 100% fine to me.

To be more specific, I am not looking for cold/mechanical/industrial black metal bands (e.g., Mysticum, mid-era Satyricon, or even The Deathtrip), nor for anything original (e.g., DHG). I am simply looking for bands that imitate Thorn's guitar sound and riffs. If they go after the early stuff (demos), with no industrial tone, that would actually be even better.

I would imagine that within the endless strem of bands and digital releases, something like that should exist.

Some times ago, I seem to remember I found a group like that on bandcamp, but forgot to take note of the name.

Thank you in advance for any reccomendation.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:33 am 

ms8 wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for black metal bands that sounds like Thorns. Blatant rip-offs are 100% fine to me.

To be more specific, I am not looking for cold/mechanical/industrial black metal bands (e.g., Mysticum, mid-era Satyricon, or even The Deathtrip), nor for anything original (e.g., DHG). I am simply looking for bands that imitate Thorn's guitar sound and riffs. If they go after the early stuff (demos), with no industrial tone, that would actually be even better.

I would imagine that within the endless strem of bands and digital releases, something like that should exist.

Some times ago, I seem to remember I found a group like that on bandcamp, but forgot to take note of the name.

good question. very innovative and influential riff wizard that hasn't been (properly) imitated/emulated yet as much as he'd deserve to. since you're probably aware of his guesting/involvement on mayhem and satyricon albums, I can't help your specific request other than leaving this 100% thorns - s/t rip off album for you (haven't checked out this band's other releases yet):

plutonium (SWE) - devilmentertainment non stop
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

ms8
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:44 am 

into_the_pit wrote:

good question. very innovative and influential riff wizard that hasn't been (properly) imitated/emulated yet as much as he'd deserve to. since you're probably aware of his guesting/involvement on mayhem and satyricon albums, I can't help your specific request other than leaving this 100% thorns - s/t rip off album for you (haven't checked out this band's other releases yet):

plutonium (SWE) - devilmentertainment non stop

Thank you so much for your help. It does sound like Thorns s/t.
Would be great to hear some bands targeting the earlier style as well. Considering how infleuntial and well-knonw are the demos, it is somewhat baffling that apparently no one has tried to emulate that eerie-doomy atmosphere and that specific guitar sound / riffing.
Thanks again for the great suggestion.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:06 am 

I'm looking for some one man black metal projects that are NOT depressive, not endless tremolo picking without any riffs, and with some OK sound quality. Think albums 2-4 from Darkthrone.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:21 pm 

Helleruin is a good one

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:15 pm 

Try Cosmic Church, True Iron Will, Spite, and Sanguine Relic

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:04 pm 

Killer guys, thank you \m/

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 pm 

Well, it might be obvious, but you can’t go wrong with Bathory.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:07 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
Well, it might be obvious, but you can’t go wrong with Bathory.

Hey I remember Hellige, I didn't know you were still active. I'm looking forward to checking out your new album, still listen to your 2012 demo semi-regularly.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:15 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Sinmara

ms8 wrote:
Hi,

(At a slower pace) Slagmaur, 100%. Also, they seem to be friends with Snorre.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:51 am 

Gonna go out on a limb with this post.

DNSFRD wrote:

Deborah - "Soteria"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vq8cX4 ... loGotico77

-Jim Stotz, "Bread is Pain"

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:53 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
I'm looking for some one man black metal projects that are NOT depressive, not endless tremolo picking without any riffs, and with some OK sound quality. Think albums 2-4 from Darkthrone.

Maybe you'll like this dude:

Dawnbreaker - "Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam" (Full Album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFLvpHOs_s

-Jim Stotz, "Bread is Pain"

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:00 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

try thy funeral - the end of life.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:01 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

You shoud check out Krvna from Australia. One man BM genius.

My collection

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:52 pm 

speaking of australia, you should also try regnans - serpent sheds its skin (you too, crushed revelation). that guy's other projects are good, too.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:52 am 

Hey all! I was hoping somebody could recommend some bands/albums similar to Abigor? Particularly their 90's era (first four albums), not so much their later avant-garde stuff. The "similar artists" tab on their MA page leaves a lot to be desired.

Doesn't need to sound exactly the same, even vaguely similar recommendations are appreciated. Cheers!

ClicheUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:55 am 

I need some fast, powerful black metal with a strong icy feel/atmosphere, some good references:

Immortal (pre-ATHOW)
Frozen Shadows
Isvind
Lunar Aurora (their first 2 especially)
Setherial (Nord)

Anything else?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:56 pm 

ClicheUsername wrote:
I need some fast, powerful black metal with a strong icy feel/atmosphere, some good references:

Immortal (pre-ATHOW)
Frozen Shadows
Isvind
Lunar Aurora (their first 2 especially)
Setherial (Nord)

Anything else?

I think sweden is your country of choice here. what about thy primordial? my personal pick would be heresy of an age of reason, but I guess most of their discography should fit your request (and is at least of decent quality).
blot mine should work for you too, in general you should definitely look around in the greater sundsvall scene. maybe the first one or two dark funeral full-lengths, though you're probably aware of them, and maybe even mightiest from germany. hell, maybe even sigrblot might work for you. that's all off the top of my head, but there's tons of bands in this style really.

edit: try ulvegr also.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231  Next