Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:32 pm 

Hello.

I'm looking for metal albums (any subgenre) where there are keyboards/ambient/nature sounds/"field recordings" that are used in a similar way to using of them on the album "Hoagascht" by Lunar Aurora (e.g., the song "Reng"), - i.e. in a way where there are a few short non-metal parts with some atmospheric ambience/nature sounds + a few parts that have a mix of keyboards/some other non-metal musical instruments (that have a simple motif/melody)/ambience with electric guitars on a song, and not in a way where there are 1-2 (very) long atmospheric non-metal parts on a song (i.e. not in a way of those songs by Paysage d'Hiver that have very long non-metal intros/outros).
Nature-inspired lyrics/imagery and slow/mid tempo or slow/mid-to-fast tempo music are a plus.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:12 am 

sjal wrote:
Hello.

I'm looking for metal albums (any subgenre) where there are keyboards/ambient/nature sounds/"field recordings" that are used in a similar way to using of them on the album "Hoagascht" by Lunar Aurora (e.g., the song "Reng"), - i.e. in a way where there are a few short non-metal parts with some atmospheric ambience/nature sounds + a few parts that have a mix of keyboards/some other non-metal musical instruments (that have a simple motif/melody)/ambience with electric guitars on a song, and not in a way where there are 1-2 (very) long atmospheric non-metal parts on a song (i.e. not in a way of those songs by Paysage d'Hiver that have very long non-metal intros/outros).
Nature-inspired lyrics/imagery and slow/mid tempo or slow/mid-to-fast tempo music are a plus.

Hello,
I know and like that album, but my favourite song on it is Im Gartn, which actually has a long ambient/electronic section. In regards to your request, I think Draconian somewhat fits your description.
For example the songs A Scenery of Loss or She dies (the section at 3:03, although it's pretty long).
I probably know some other stuff like that, but those songs are the first ones that come to my mind. Will try to think of more stuff like this.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:02 pm 

Tiamat’s Wildhoney mixes nature sounds with glorious FM and AWM synths. Mid-tempo goth/doom.
October Fall’s The Womb of Primordial Nature has occasional nature sound samples on top of folk acoustic guitar interspersed through a black metal album.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:37 am 

Necros Christos? They have tons of ambient interludes.

https://necroschristos.bandcamp.com/alb ... -doxomedon

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:56 pm 

funeralravens, coupdebleus, Gravetemplar, thanks a lot for the recommendations!

I'm familiar with Draconian's "Arcane Rain Fell".
I like this album, but I haven't listened to it for a long time. I will listen to it.
The non-metal parts/elements (both sounds of nature/ambience and keyboards) on the album fit into the request, and the song "A Scenery of Loss" with a relatively short atmospheric intro with nature sounds + with the use of keyboards here and there on the metal parts is very much in a vein of what I'm looking for (and it's also a big plus that the atmospheric part has sounds of inanimate nature).

October Falls' "The Womb of Primordial Nature" in general also looks in a vein of what I'm looking for - most of the atmospheric parts are relatively short and they are used a few times on the album (and I like the playing of acoustic guitar and the sounds of inanimate nature on atmospheric parts), and I enjoy metal parts as well; I only wish the non-metal part that starts at 27:50 was shorter.
I'll look closer to this band.

I know Tiamat but not familiar with the album "Wildhoney". I'll give it a try, but overall in this request for me it's preferable that there was not "psychedelic" influence/vibe in music/atmosphere on an album.

The album "Domedon Doxomedon" by Necros Christos is not exactly what I'm looking for - atmospheric/vibe-wise, but the variety of interludes on the album is quite interesting. My only problem with them is that most of them are too long for me.
I'll give the album a try, but in general I'm looking for metal albums that have relatively short atmospheric non-metal parts.

funeralravens wrote:
I know and like that album, but my favourite song on it is Im Gartn, which actually has a long ambient/electronic section. In regards to your request, I think Draconian somewhat fits your description.
For example the songs A Scenery of Loss or She dies (the section at 3:03, although it's pretty long).
I probably know some other stuff like that, but those songs are the first ones that come to my mind. Will try to think of more stuff like this.

I also love and absolutely don't mind the long atmospheric part on the song "Im Gartn" (Excluding this particular song with a relatively long non-metal part at the beginning, any other song from the album "Hoagascht" is a good example of what I'm looking for, I just pointed "Reng" as an example because it's the most simple and repetitive song in structure and it's the easiest to 'identify' the atmospheric non-metal parts - the sound of rain), but the point is that in this case it's the first song on the album - and, because of it, I perceive this non-metal part not only as a part of the first song but also as an intro to the whole album, and therefore it's a little different for me and it works by this analogy - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136838&p=3070142&hilit=intro#p3070142. Metal albums that have a long atmospheric non-metal intro/outro (and which may not be as a separate track but as a part of the first/the last song) are OK for me.

This request is much more due to metal albums that tend to have not only a long non-metal intro on the first song and a long outro at the end of the album, but also long intros/outros on almost every song on the album (and especially if these parts contain only nature sounds/field recordings) - for example, like on the album "Winterkälte" by Paysage d'Hiver (I don't mind it in general and I love and enjoy the sound of these types of lo-fi atmospheric nature sounds/field recordings on non-metal parts as well, but the problem for me is that these particular non-metal parts are too long, too monotonous/repetitive, and the use of them is almost the same on each song - as a long intro/outro of a song, and because of it, listening to all these non-metal parts during listening to the whole album becomes "way too much" and tiresome for me. If those parts were shorter and there would be some variety/more dynamics of them on the songs, then that would be OK for me. If they were just only two parts (separate tracks or as parts of the first and the last songs on the album) - as a 1-2 minute intro and outro to the album, and/or, as an option - if there was a long atmospheric non-metal track somewhere in the middle of the album (as the track "Einsamkeit"), and the rest of the non-metal parts were much shorter and more varied, then that would also be OK for me). I like metal music on this album, I like sounds of all the non-metal parts, but I rarely listen to this album because of those non-metal parts - that are too long and monotonous. I would rather listen to Strid's s/t EP where there are atmospheric "lo-fi" sounds, but which are just short parts at the beginning of the first song and at the end of the second song - and to me these short parts are enough to engage the listener's imagination/add some additional elements ("fragments") to the overall atmosphere and mood on the EP.
(It was just for example of using of atmospheric non-metal ambience/elements on a metal album, these two black metal records are not interchangeable for me, I listen to them in different moods and for different reasons.)

Last edited by sjal on Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:17 pm 

What about Songs of Moors and Misty Fields by Empyrium? The folk/nature parts are frequent, but not too long and too boring.
Nocte Obducta is a band worth checking out if you like Lunar Aurora. I recommend their Nektar albums. They have a lot of ambient/atmospheric parts, but they don't overstay their welcome and enhance the songs greatly.
This doesn't fit your request that much, but I still would recommend Funerals From the Astral Sphere by Midnight Odyssey. The ambient/neoclassical parts are actually pretty long and sometimes take whole songs even, but they are so well done that I like them as much as the metal parts (if not more). For example this song by him.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:28 pm 

funeralravens, thank you very much again for the recommendations, and I am very sorry for such a late reply.

I've listened to the album ''Songs of Moors and Misty Fields'' by Empyrium - and the music (both metal and non-metal) is amazing and very atmospheric. I very much enjoy the non-metal parts with string and wind musical instruments, and I like the sounds of keyboards/ambient/nature on the album too.
And it's also very good that the non-metal parts are not too long, it fits well with the request.

As for ''Nektar'' by Nocte Obducta, I tried to listen to the first ''Nektar'' album several times on different days and on different times of the day, and I can't seem to get into it at all. :(
I think it's mostly because of the drums on the album - they're often too intense/"technical" and don't go well with the atmospheric keyboards/guitar playing for me, plus the drums sound a bit too strange and unnatural for me.
(Plus there's also an atmospheric non-metal part on the album that sounds a bit too "psychedelic" for me)
It's okay - this album has interesting music and atmosphere in itself, it's just not exactly what I'm looking for.

funeralravens wrote:
Nocte Obducta is a band worth checking out if you like Lunar Aurora.

As for Lunar Aurora, I only have "Hoagascht" - and the thing is that this album sounds quite unique for me and there are a few varied reasons I love it.
First of all, I like that the lyrics are sung in Bavarian - because it sounds softer than German.
This album also has the song ''Nachteule'' that has quite uncommon animated representatives of the wildlife world (i.e. who are not crows or wolves) for a metal album and who sound very natural on a metal song, and I love it a lot :) (I even discovered that the owl that makes those sounds seems to be ''Strix aluco'' - https://xeno-canto.org/355966).
I also like that a bit of "nostalgic" feeling/vibe this album conveys.
Spoiler: show
Plus I also like that this album is mostly mid-tempo or slow-to-mid-tempo (which has almost no too long slow parts and almost no too fast and intense parts with blast beats) - which allows me to listen to it late at night in certain cases when I need to listen to an album that is atmospheric and not too intense but at the same time that doesn't have long slow parts that can make me fall asleep.

The song ''A Death So Pure'' by Midnight Odyssey is also good, I will check the album out too.
(I like cosmic/space black metal in general, and I'm familiar with a few artists/bands in this style, but yes, here in this request I'm mostly looking for albums that have an atmosphere and sounds of nature from planet Earth)

Reply to topic