Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:52 pm 

The most obvious being Theatre of Tragedy, of course. But are there any other songs/albums with a similar vibe/atmosphere to this song in particular?

WulfKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:35 pm 

Of all the top-tier 90s/early-2000's Symphonic/Gothic Doom bands, I've always felt that Tristania had the obviously larger Sisters of Mercy influence, compared to ToT or The Sins of Thy Beloved, for example.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:35 pm 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
The most obvious being Theatre of Tragedy, of course. But are there any other songs/albums with a similar vibe/atmosphere to this song in particular?

This is a gothic rock song, so I guess you should explore that genre. Unfortunately, I myself wasn't able to find anything similar to Angellore specifically. It's actually one of the best and most original gothic rock songs I have ever heard, most of the actual genre pales compared to it.
If you want something with both male and female vocals, you could try this band.

Also you could check out Elusive, Morten was briefly a part of this band, and the guitarist is Tommy Olsson (the one from ToT's Aegis album). The vocalist is Jan Kenneth Barkved who also sang on some Tristania and Sirenia songs.

Also Sirenia has this song, if you haven't heard it already. Jan Barkved is the vocalist on it.

Østen Bergøy (the one who sings on Angellore) joined another band by Tommy Olsson called Long Night. This song by them is pretty cool.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:02 pm 

Sounds like you could use some Moonspell in your life. Their second album Irreligious should suit what you're looking for.

WulfKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:17 pm 

@funeralravens - Thanks for posting those recs. This sort of stuff is very much up my alley as well. I knew of Elusive and of course Sirenia, but Solemn Novena and Long Night are new to me.

To the OP, you may find some interesting things in some Faith and the Muse records. Some songs that come to mind:

One of my favorites of the whole discography -

Another song, 'Sparks' may be something you like. The song is originally from the album ' Elyria', but this clip is from the live Shoumei DVD. An absolutely mesmerizing live release.

Originally from :Ankoku Butoh:, but also done for the live Shoumei performance.

And lastly.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:20 pm 

Thanks for the recs, guys! I'm already familiar with Moonspell, Sisters of Mercy, and Sirenia (already being a huge fan of the latter two.)

Wulfking - This band is great! They aren't quite giving me the same feelings I pick up from "Angellore," but they are still quite good and gives me a good band to explore while at work tomorrow.

Funeralravens - I loved the Elusive song, but especially the Long Night one! Gave me some Billy Idol vibes. Going to be picking up both those records as well.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:01 am 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
Thanks for the recs, guys! I'm already familiar with Moonspell, Sisters of Mercy, and Sirenia (already being a huge fan of the latter two.)

Wulfking - This band is great! They aren't quite giving me the same feelings I pick up from "Angellore," but they are still quite good and gives me a good band to explore while at work tomorrow.

Funeralravens - I loved the Elusive song, but especially the Long Night one! Gave me some Billy Idol vibes. Going to be picking up both those records as well.

@From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
There's quite a few bands for you already to explore, but I can recommend a few more.
If you liked Long Night, I think you're going to enjoy the Spanish band Héroes del Silencio. Long Night is influenced by it. The funniest thing is that this band is technically the most popular gothic rock band in history, despite being little-known in the English-speaking world.

If you liked Faith and the Muse, I think you might like Lycia even more. It's the one darkwave band that many metal bands/fans tend to love.

Also can't believe we haven't mentioned Fields of the nephilim yet. It's the band that definitely influenced Morten the most.

@WulfKing
Glad you liked it. For stuff similar to Faith and the Muse, are you aware of the other ethereal wave bands, like the aforementioned Lycia, Love Spirals Downwards, Trance to the Sun, This Ascension? For Solemn Novena, Pretentious, Moi is similar.

WulfKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:00 pm 

Seconding Lycia here, and certainly Fields of the Nephilim.

@funeralravens - Love Spirals Downward and Lycia I was familiar with. This Ascension (and The Eden House) I literally just found out about roughly a week and a half ago, and have been listening to those two bands almost everyday since, so its a bit of a coincidence to see you mention them. This is certainly a good thread/place to do so. Definitely similar to Faith and the Muse, which is how I found the aforementioned two bands. I was unaware of Heroes del Silencio, and will be listening further.

Trance to the Sun and Pretentious Moi I've never heard of, but am seeking out as I type this. Thank for the recs, as always!

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:56 am 

WulfKing wrote:
This Ascension (and The Eden House) I literally just found out about roughly a week and a half ago, and have been listening to those two bands almost everyday since, so its a bit of a coincidence to see you mention them.

If you liked The Eden House, I recommend Adoration – Sleepwalking. It's the same guitarist and I liked it more than The Eden House personally. It's a little bit hard to get though, I had to download it from a torrent site since it's not on bandcamp, but I believe you can get in on amazon or apple music. But it's worth it IMO, one of the best guitars in gothic rock I have ever heard.
For bands similar to This Ascension, I can definitely recommend The Shroud (especially A Dark Moon Night, although their other albums are also pretty good, apart from Drowning Dreams which is kinda cringe) and Claire Voyant (her vocals are probably the best out of all the similar bands).
Not sure if you liked Lycia and Love Spirals Downwards, but for guitar-heavy ethereal wave there's also Autumn's Grey Solace which is my favourite out of these bands. They sometimes even have metal-like solos and riffs.
Edit: Forgot to mention one stellar album that I've been listening to lately. IKON - In The Shadow Of The Angel. Pretty dark music.

WulfKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:49 pm 

@funeralravens - You are killing it with these recs! I've heard of The Shroud in relation to these sort of bands, but never listened, so I'll start with Dark Moon Night. Same thing with Claire Voyant. Seen the name a handful of times, but never listened. With Lycia and Love Spirals Downwards, I've listened to both a little bit, enough to know I'm into it, but forwhatever reason never spent time with a full album. Maybe just a song or two.

IKON I had never heard of and this is an instant yes for me. Same thing with Adoration.

Hopefully the OP can find something of interest in all of this, even if its not exactly like Angellore!

Reply to topic