Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:29 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
yeah sure used to talk with droneriot about em, decent band

Ah, cool!

There's also Syrach - on the debut they mix both proper doom and death metal riffs with that strong nostalgic 90's flavor to it. Hell, 'As Years go By in Silence' almost sounds like Asphyx with more of a gothic ambiance!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:24 am 

Extraordinary jazz-tinged extreme doom metal. No vocals, alas for me, but on the whole, it's a tremendous effort. Reminds of Asunder's assertive drumplay and Orthodox too for the experimental aspects of it.

https://blightcasterdoom.bandcamp.com/a ... rsed-night

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:22 am 

Really been digging the new album by Light Field Reverie and looking for more funeral doom with clean female singing either as main vocals or backup. I know Shape of Despair, Aeonian Sorrow, Red Moon Architect and a few others, but any more recommendations for this style? Thanks

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:25 am 

pbarb wrote:
Really been digging the new album by Light Field Reverie and looking for more funeral doom with clean female singing either as main vocals or backup. I know Shape of Despair, Aeonian Sorrow, Red Moon Architect and a few others, but any more recommendations for this style? Thanks

Oh, I have a couple you may enjoy.

Frayle - "Dead Inside" (Witchy Doom)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_E49v ... ayle-Topic

My wife and I had the pleasure of seeing Frayle live back in 2018 or 2019 I think it was. Show was amazing, excellent band.

There's also Thorr's Hammer, who is much older as a group, and now defunct I believe. I think Steven O'Malley (SunnO)))) was in the band.

Thorr's Hammer - "Norge"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNL ... =Freak0809

I'm not too familiar with Thorr's Hammer, so you may want to explore a bit to find some tracks you might like more than the one I sent.

Then there is, of course, Draconian. While not being "female fronted," there is a female singer who is quite prominent, and her vocal melodoes are beautiful. You'll see what I mean, check out her parts in this song:

Draconian - "She Dies"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW5CXvB ... ilioCrespo

-Jim Stotz, "Bread is Pain"

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:28 am 

M_Mosher wrote:
There's also Thorr's Hammer, who is much older as a group, and now defunct I believe. I think Steven O'Malley (SunnO)))) was in the band.

Thorr's Hammer - "Norge"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNL ... =Freak0809

I'm not too familiar with Thorr's Hammer, so you may want to explore a bit to find some tracks you might like more than the one I sent.

Unfortunately, the song you linked is the only Thorr's Hammer song which features clean vocals. I say unfortunately because her way of chanting these vocals is otherworldly and I wish she did that in the other songs on the EP, and I wish more doom metal singers, male or female, would hit on that kind of chanting delivery. The only other one I know of that's close is Om.

Anyway, she can still growl with the best of them though.

And yes, Stephen O'Malley was indeed in the band.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 pm 

pbarb wrote:

I suggest you check the other projects Heike Langhan is part of. Not super fan of her myself. I can recommed ISON though where she's featured as well. Droney, blissed out, dreamy doom, very relaxing and simply beautiful.

Also this: https://coneforest.bandcamp.com/album/- -A certain Ann is doing the clean vocals and the whole is gorgeous.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:15 pm 

M_Mosher wrote:
Then there is, of course, Draconian. While not being "female fronted," there is a female singer who is quite prominent, and her vocal melodoes are beautiful. You'll see what I mean, check out her parts in this song:

Draconian - "She Dies"

A little bit late to the party, but is Draconian really worth mentioning? Light Field Reverie is Heike's project, so it would be weird if they didn't know about them.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:20 pm 

funeralravens wrote:
M_Mosher wrote:

Draconian - "She Dies"

A little bit late to the party, but is Draconian really worth mentioning? Light Field Reverie is Heike's project, so it would be weird if they didn't know about them.

I guess. I was just trying to help, I dunno.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:28 pm 

M_Mosher wrote:
I guess. I was just trying to help, I dunno.

Yeah, the recommendation totally fits, I just thought it was weird you were talking about them like they have nothing to do with the other band.
I myself can't really recommend anything to pbarb, because Light Field Reverie doesn't strike me as particularly funeral (actually nothing like funeral). They give me more of an alternative metal vibe, to be honest, with some sprinkles of doom and gothic. I don't really enjoy that project, I think ISON with Daniel was way better. Also slight offtopic, but I wonder how long Heike is going to stay with Mike before moving on to another guy.

M_Mosher
JFC GDI

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:12 pm 

funeralravens wrote:
Yeah, the recommendation totally fits, I just thought it was weird you were talking about them like they have nothing to do with the other band.

Oh, I see what must've happened. I wasn't aware they had anything to do with another band, that's news to me.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:57 am 

pbarb wrote:

Not funeral doom but Lacrimas Profundere has some clean female vocals throughout their early doom/death albums.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:04 pm 

Thanks for the recs yall. Def gonna check em out. ISON sounds very interesting and I need to revisit the newer draconian albums. 100% agree Light Field Reverie isnt really funeral, more of a post rock-doom style. Anyway, any other recs for something similar is much appreciated. Also I forgot to mention Trees of Eternity and Lethian Dreams as other great examples of this style

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:29 am 

pbarb wrote:

This is a niche I'm pretty well-versed in. The first five bands are my essential go-to's for this kind of rec, whereas the others are newer acts.

Funeral
Spoiler: show

The Slow Death

Murkrat

Skumring

Omit

Vouna

Forlesen

Collapse of Light

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:55 pm 

^^^ awesome recs thank you!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:19 am 

I recommend this stunningly good debut album by the gothic doom duet Tribunal. Potent, modern, atmo and delicate; the very best the genre can offer:

https://20buckspin.bandcamp.com/album/t ... emembrance

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:24 am 

Looking for funeral doom in the vein of Mournful Congregation and Worm that places a large emphasis on emotive, melodic guitar leads and solos.
Something like what is present here:

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:40 am 

[quote="MeavyHetal"]Looking for funeral doom in the vein of Mournful Congregation and Worm that places a large emphasis on emotive, melodic guitar leads and solos.

If you like lush mournful guitar parts in your Funeral Doom, listen to this:
https://sludgecrow.bandcamp.com/track/t ... ove-itself

werewolfgraveyard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:09 am 

Asphyx type stuff?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:51 am 

werewolfgraveyard wrote:
Asphyx type stuff?

Most obvious picks would be Grand Supreme Blood Court and Soulburn.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:51 pm 

Is there a reason this isn't a stickied thread? It's been floating around for so many years, would make sense to have it pinned at the top.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:11 am 

Honestly, I'm a supporter of the idea of merging both threads dedicated to doom.
With the little interest they gather and the reality of the scene where the genres tend to merge and new combos not givin a fuck about the style they play anyhow, the lines have become unclear.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:49 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Honestly, I'm a supporter of the idea of merging both threads dedicated to doom.
With the little interest they gather and the reality of the scene where the genres tend to merge and new combos not givin a fuck about the style they play anyhow, the lines have become unclear.

Agreed.

I see people requesting doom death in the other thread every so often anyway.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28