Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DenisMDM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:47 pm 

I'm looking for some Symphonic Doom that sounds like the first LP from Estatic Fear, only without the feminine vocals, if that's possible. Thanks in advance!

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 pm 

There’s actually an Argentinian band called Somberdance that’s pretty much the dollar-store version of Estatic Fear.

DenisMDM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:47 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
There’s actually an Argentinian band called Somberdance that’s pretty much the dollar-store version of Estatic Fear.

ALRIGHTTT that will do for a while, checked some tracks and that is exactly, EXACTLY, what I am looking for. Also from my province, thanks a lot!

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:59 pm 

funeralravens wrote:
Can anyone recommend me melodic doom or maybe gothic metal songs/albums that have a riffing style similar to The Whore, The Cook and the Mother by My Dying Bride? Specifically the part at 1:10? The only vaguely similar music that comes to my mind is Jade by Flowing Tears (like the solo at the end of Lovesong for a Dead Child)?

This is one of my favorite albums ever and sadly the atmosphere is unmatched. I've always said that if I could live in this album I would.
Anyhow, For My Demons by Katatonia from the album Tonight's Decision and My Dying Bride's The Poorest Waltz from the album Map of All Our Failures come to mind for the beautiful extended lead guitar lines.

You will also find many beautiful leads and some similar rhythm sections strewn about on Moonspell's entire The Antidote album. Highly recommended!

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:09 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
This is one of my favorite albums ever and sadly the atmosphere is unmatched. I've always said that if I could live in this album I would.
Anyhow, For My Demons by Katatonia from the album Tonight's Decision and My Dying Bride's The Poorest Waltz from the album Map of All Our Failures come to mind for the beautiful extended lead guitar lines.

You will also find many beautiful leads and some similar rhythm sections strewn about on Moonspell's entire The Antidote album. Highly recommended!

Katatonia was actually one of the bands I was thinking of, it's somewhat similar indeed. I haven't listened to Map of All Our Failures or The Antidote, will check those albums out. Thanks, if you have anything else in your mind, please let me know. :)

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:27 pm 

More a single song than a whole band, but maybe Mourning Beloveth's Nothing Has a Centre? The clean "time passed unused" part has a similar massive wall of flowing chords approach.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:53 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
More a single song than a whole band, but maybe Mourning Beloveth's Nothing Has a Centre? The clean "time passed unused" part has a similar massive wall of flowing chords approach.

It's similar to the beginning of "The Whore, The Cook and the Mother", but not to the melodic part that I was referring to. However, I quite liked that song. I actually loved their The Sullen Sulcus album, but then forgot about them for some reason. Definitely need to check out more of their stuff.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:57 am 

funeralravens wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

It's similar to the beginning of "The Whore, The Cook and the Mother", but not to the melodic part that I was referring to. However, I quite liked that song. I actually loved their The Sullen Sulcus album, but then forgot about them for some reason. Definitely need to check out more of their stuff.

I admit I hadn't listened to your time stamp haha, I'd just assumed the song had a minute ten intro haha, my bad.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:49 am 

Grimbeard wrote:

I have listened to The Antidote, and while it's a nice album, I didn't really find similar riffs to that song. The Poorest Waltz is kind of similar, though.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:48 pm 

Can somebody please recommend me something in the vein of Candlemass' albums Dactylis Glomerata and From the 13th Sun or that Abstrakt Algebra album. You know, that kind of weird, murky, technical doom metal.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:07 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
kind of weird, murky, technical doom metal.
I'm gonna focus on this part of your request and recommend Confessor "Condemned" from 1991. A truly unique and awesome work of art, the only truly technical doom metal album I know, in fact if anyone has any recs like it then fire em my way.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:03 pm 

There's lots of doom vibes in Morgana Lefay dark Power Metal. Like in this song which reminds of Leif Eidling's experiments:
https://youtu.be/3rTkPS-oL4w

Otherwise, I'm thinking you might like Nightly Gale's weirdness and thechnicality. The sole aspect of this doom band that puts me off are the vocals; But to each his own;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjCsgNlWfxg

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:07 am 

coupdebleus wrote:

Better off listening to the latter then, I presume?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:09 am 

Yeah, sometimes the disciple surpasses the master, but this isn’t one of those cases. It’s a carbon copy (of the second, rather than the first LP) with lower production values; an interesting listen nonetheless, and not bad at scratching the itch if one really needs more of that specific sound.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:26 am 

Who here has heard Conan's latest album Evidence of Immortality? The whole album is good, but I want to bring special attention to the 14 minute instrumental behemoth that closes out the album. With prominent organs, it reminds me of funeral doom, and good funeral doom at that. I'm not the biggest fan of funeral doom, but Conan does it better than most funeral doom bands. I hope the organ becomes a regular feature in their future work.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:57 pm 

Listen to Walk Through Fire's 2020 album ; it features organ on the song 'Den Uttan Botten'. Less fd vibes, more sludgy, but intense and bleak:
https://walkthroughfire.bandcamp.com/album/v-r-avgrund

Eddbluebard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:18 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for symphonic atmospheric sludge?

The Otolith is your call in this one.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:08 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Who here has heard Conan's latest album Evidence of Immortality? The whole album is good, but I want to bring special attention to the 14 minute instrumental behemoth that closes out the album. With prominent organs, it reminds me of funeral doom, and good funeral doom at that. I'm not the biggest fan of funeral doom, but Conan does it better than most funeral doom bands. I hope the organ becomes a regular feature in their future work.

Similarish band to Morphine's rec, from the same city too. This whole album is really good.

werewolfgraveyard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:03 am 

Is anyone still looking for any Type O-esque recommendations? As someone whose explored a fuck ton I have recommendations, I can't promise that they're necessarily good or live up to the original but I can tell you that they have elements that may sound similar. I'll list each of them and say my personal opinion on them.

- Frown

They're just eh, following the stylings of the more mellower parts of Type O with none of the memorability of them.

- October Noir

This would be my highest recommendation, I'd suggest you see hear them for yourself.

- A Pale Horse Named Death

Really really boring. Would not recommend.

- Pist.On

Not technically on the metal archives since it's a bit too close to Alternative Metal for the site runners, but their debut was produced by Josh Silver of Type O fame, and has an excellent cover of a Smiths song. I would only really recommend their first album.

- Wicked Sisters

I'd recommend giving a listen to "Necromantic", the texture and riffing definitely reminds me of Type O.

- Carnivore

Sonically, it would be my favorite thrash band if not for the lyrics. Avoid at all costs if you're sensitive to misogynistic lyrics.

- Vasaria

Missing any sort of Type O texture, but the singer is also the current singer of Carnivore A.D., might be interesting. I'd recommend "Ugly as Sin".

I think that's most of what I've found. Honorable mentions, as in, I do not hear it at all but for some reason they get compared a lot:

- Danzig

Eh? It's mostly just bluesy heavy metal.

- Abysmal Grief

Maybe if you're really into the "doom with keyboards" aspect of Type O.

- In the Colonnades

Their first album reminds me more of Spinal Tap if anything.

- Stillborn

Heavy Metal/Doom Metal with some Gothic Rock influence, not really sure why they get compared.

- Life of Agony

Specifically, River Runs Red. Was produced by Josh Silver and had drumming by a former drummer of the band.

I hope this helps someone!

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:44 am 

Hi folks. I'm looking for something that sounds like if (TSIB-era)Neurosis and Sunn O))) had a lovechild. Does such a thing exist?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:18 am 

Rose Kemp’s Golden Shroud?

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:27 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
Rose Kemp’s Golden Shroud?

There are some parts in Lead Coffin that are kinda what I'm looking for, tom rolls over slow riffs. Otherwise not really. Interesting album though.

ncroker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 pm 

I recommend bell witch, witchhelm and swallow the sun.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:17 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Hi folks. I'm looking for something that sounds like if (TSIB-era)Neurosis and Sunn O))) had a lovechild. Does such a thing exist?

ZATOKREV? They're a pretty unknown, but yet very good post-doom band, lots of atmospherics, lots of tension. Drones? a bit yeah... The more you go through their disco, the more they calmed the punk-ish anger down, the more I can appreciate them; the 2018 track 'Silent Gods' being their masterpiece imo.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:02 pm 

Thank you for sharing your esoteric musical knowledge again Morphine. :)

Zatokrev are class and like you say Silent Gods is masterful. I'm listening to The Phantom from Silk Spiders Underwater... atm and the intro to that especially is very close to what I was thinking of. I can feel a lot of musical territory there to be explored so I shall have to explore it!

Sorry I've been so slow in responding again. I've been moving house and my car broke down in the middle of that process so the last while has been quite the headache.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:34 am 

servus humillimus ;)

As for me, I'd like to support the up-coming of the new album by MORNE, which are a splendid crust-tinged heavy doom band. The first song is excellent, epic in towering dimensions:
https://morneband.bandcamp.com/album/engraved-with-pain

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:29 pm 

Do you guys have any albums like Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd
or like Runemagick - Enter the Realm of Death

looking for more Death Doom Like this

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:49 pm 

necropsyalpha wrote:
Do you guys have any albums like Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd
or like Runemagick - Enter the Realm of Death

looking for more Death Doom Like this

I can see strong similarities between those two albums, but I think this is really not doom metal. Plain oldschool death. Wrong thread.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:31 pm 

Metal Storm wrote:
Funeral doom three-piece Angmodnes announce the signing to a Belgium-based label Meuse Music Records for the release of their second album, Rot Of The Soul. Spanning over 55 minutes, this 5-song offering arrives on March 1st, 2024.

Good quality funeral doom. Check The Weight of Eternity if you haven't.
https://angmodnes.bandcamp.com/album/rot-of-the-soul?action=share&from=embed

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:05 am 

I recommend this modest one-man project that just released a free two-song-Ep, WALLOW.
First, I thought this was too repetitive and mind-numbing for its own good; but after several listenings, he did get me. It's some massive funerary sludge / sludgy Funeral Doom (?) packed with bleak and epic atmospheres - and it is free, so I thank him twice!

https://wallowinginpain.bandcamp.com/al ... assailants

desticles
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:29 pm 

im looking for like doom/sludge or stoner metal that has like high vocals and high guitar pitches that make your ears kinda hurt. but with like minimal drums. something that starts and stops. like a fighting to stay awake or on the verge of a panic attack type of metal. i want to make a playlist for my friend and he kind of explained something like that but the only band i know that somewhat matches his descriptions is Sunn O))

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:04 pm 

Is there any band/album that sounds like Black Sabbath's "Who are you"? It's that heavy synth riff that sounds other worldly and massive. I'm not asking for something with no guitars, but the synth tone being well represented and doomy.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:18 am 

LVB wrote:
Is there any band/album that sounds like Black Sabbath's "Who are you"? It's that heavy synth riff that sounds other worldly and massive. I'm not asking for something with no guitars, but the synth tone being well represented and doomy.

Black Hole's Evil in the Dark album is essentially doom metal played on synths instead of guitars.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:42 am 

werewolfgraveyard wrote:
Is anyone still looking for any Type O-esque recommendations? As someone whose explored a fuck ton I have recommendations, I can't promise that they're necessarily good or live up to the original but I can tell you that they have elements that may sound similar. I'll list each of them and say my personal opinion on them.

- Frown

They're just eh, following the stylings of the more mellower parts of Type O with none of the memorability of them.

- October Noir

This would be my highest recommendation, I'd suggest you see hear them for yourself.

- A Pale Horse Named Death

Really really boring. Would not recommend.

- Pist.On

Not technically on the metal archives since it's a bit too close to Alternative Metal for the site runners, but their debut was produced by Josh Silver of Type O fame, and has an excellent cover of a Smiths song. I would only really recommend their first album.

- Wicked Sisters

I'd recommend giving a listen to "Necromantic", the texture and riffing definitely reminds me of Type O.

- Carnivore

Sonically, it would be my favorite thrash band if not for the lyrics. Avoid at all costs if you're sensitive to misogynistic lyrics.

- Vasaria

Missing any sort of Type O texture, but the singer is also the current singer of Carnivore A.D., might be interesting. I'd recommend "Ugly as Sin".

I think that's most of what I've found. Honorable mentions, as in, I do not hear it at all but for some reason they get compared a lot:

- Danzig

Eh? It's mostly just bluesy heavy metal.

- Abysmal Grief

Maybe if you're really into the "doom with keyboards" aspect of Type O.

- In the Colonnades

Their first album reminds me more of Spinal Tap if anything.

- Stillborn

Heavy Metal/Doom Metal with some Gothic Rock influence, not really sure why they get compared.

- Life of Agony

Specifically, River Runs Red. Was produced by Josh Silver and had drumming by a former drummer of the band.

I hope this helps someone!

I'm super late to this, but i'll throw in the last couple of of Hangman's Chair albums as well. Doesn't sound 100% like them as they sometimes lean towards mid-period Katatonia as well, but if you're a fan of Type O you'd probably enjoy them as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133