Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 34990
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:46 am 
 

That one just gets better every time I play it, exactly my style of metal.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:00 am
Posts: 1544
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:36 am 
 

Found some time today to go through the 2 new singles of Solitary Sabred. The Cypriot swordbrothers with Asgardlord's crazy metal-dripping vocals most certainly delivered! I knew he was extremely enthusiastic about the new material and couldn't wait to share and I think he was justified. I LOVE both of them, especially Bound by the Lich.

#1 Solitary Sabred - Spectral Domain

#2 Solitary Sabred - Bound by the Lich

What a year so far!
_________________
42

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4577
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:12 pm 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
That Blood Star album is a winner, in my book. Pretty excellent from start to finish, and I look forward to what they bring us in the future.


That and Kerrigan are the best things I've heard in trad metal in a while. Blood Star may have the edge since Madeline's voice is so fucking good and powerful. "Cold Moon" and "The Observers" - fuckin brilliant songs.

Listening to the new Blood Star album and it's damn good meat n potatoes heavy metal, I think it would be a real grower, might pick it up. Kerrigan however do not do much for me at all, disappointing after reading the reviews and the scores.


I had the same experience. Blood Star is fun, Kerrigan I can't even remember.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Evil Entity
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:31 am
Posts: 103
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 pm 
 

Thriller and Roadwolf both put out some Priesty meat and potatoes albums this year.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4577
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:13 pm 
 

New JP song is kinda whatever, but man Halford is still going. He's the same age as my mom, wild to think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqZuo1WKk4

On the thrashy side of things, Phantom (Mex) released some good German style thrash this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-a2rfubLrk

It makes me think of Ger-thrash like Kreator etc + Ger-speed metal like early BG/Rage/Grave Digger, cool combo.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 34990
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:05 pm 
 

https://serenityaustria.bandcamp.com/album/nemesis-ad

New Serenity sounds good from these songs. Maybe up there with Excalion and Sacred Outcry for good melodic PM this year. Glad to see stuff like this going strong enough. They just get it right with the forceful, catchy hooks.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7713
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:54 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
https://serenityaustria.bandcamp.com/album/nemesis-ad

New Serenity sounds good from these songs. Maybe up there with Excalion and Sacred Outcry for good melodic PM this year. Glad to see stuff like this going strong enough. They just get it right with the forceful, catchy hooks.

Those are conveniently most of the best songs on the album, but it's pretty solid, overall.
_________________
I've written a fantasy novel. It's 145,000 157,586 184,899 words long!
It's also going to be the first part of a trilogy!
Currently seeking an agent willing to touch this massive doorstop.

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:18 am 
 

Anything in the vein of Saracen's 'Rock Of Ages' please? Thanks!!
_________________
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7713
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:50 pm 
 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Anything in the vein of Saracen's 'Rock Of Ages' please? Thanks!!

That's a tough one. The closest things I can think of are the NWOBHM Wolf, early Riot, and early Europe. But I'm not sure if any of them are close enough to really satisfy.
_________________
I've written a fantasy novel. It's 145,000 157,586 184,899 words long!
It's also going to be the first part of a trilogy!
Currently seeking an agent willing to touch this massive doorstop.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4577
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:07 pm 
 

New Solitary Sabred album is surprisingly good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KB4TWmV3LA

Surprisingly to me because I've never listened to them before but I assumed they'd have really scuffed Greek-esque vocals that would ruin it for me (sorry, I like some Greek heavy metal bands but sometimes the vocal style really doesn't do it for me). This is actually really solid and well-written USPM.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Jophelerx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1456
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:54 am 
 

Haven't heard the new album yet but I will soon and Solitary Sabred have always been the oddball of the Greek/Italian scene (maybe since they're actually from Cyprus?) in that they have a strong USPM influence and a vocalist with charisma who isn't afraid to go nuts! I'm pretty sure Howie of Cauldron Born first recommended them around here back in the day, and the band have been going strong since then! Not a bad release yet so I expect this to be great too.

Also wanted to report that, though it's hardly new anymore, Idol Throne's album from last year, The Sibylline Age, is fucking amazing USPM/thrash with an emphasis on the THRASH, feeling like something that could have come from Realm or Deadly Blessing maybe, and the vocalist is a fantastic shrieker but also quite versatile. If anyone else missed this when it came out, just check out the opener "Unholy Warrior" and tell me this doesn't melt your face!

_________________
Check out my new Comprehensive Guide to USPM!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4577
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:42 am 
 

DoomSword live at KIT in 2003, awesome vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dp2gWlsp24
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 2840
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:46 am 
 

Has anyone heard Mark Shelton's album Obsidian Dreams? Is it good? What does it sound like?

While we're at it, same questions for Mark Shelton and Rick Fisher's Riddlemaster.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 34990
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:56 am 
 

Obsidian Dreams is basically what you'd expect - like the acoustic stuff on the proper MR albums. But it's good and has a lot of strong stuff. There's a rougher sounding version of "Tree of Life" from Voyager on there. Whole thing is just his warm voice and some nice soothing acoustic guitars.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7713
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:07 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Obsidian Dreams is basically what you'd expect - like the acoustic stuff on the proper MR albums. But it's good and has a lot of strong stuff. There's a rougher sounding version of "Tree of Life" from Voyager on there. Whole thing is just his warm voice and some nice soothing acoustic guitars.

So it's basically an album full of "The Fountain," then? I might have to take a look. I love that song.
_________________
I've written a fantasy novel. It's 145,000 157,586 184,899 words long!
It's also going to be the first part of a trilogy!
Currently seeking an agent willing to touch this massive doorstop.

Top
 Profile  
Jophelerx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1456
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:13 pm 
 

Yeah Obsidian Dreams is just a bunch of ballads. I'm partial to "Blood on the Snow," myself. (Besides "Tree of Life" which is already on Voyager). But it's worth checking out at least.

Riddlemaster is more rock than metal but it has a couple of metal tracks, namely "Bring the Magik Down" and "Lair of the White Witch." "Crossing the Line" and "Ghost of the Plains" are epic half-ballads that wouldn't be out of place on a Manilla Road release at all, either; think some of the stuff on The Blessed Curse. The other two tracks I'm not really a fan of personally, but they're not bad for the style.
_________________
Check out my new Comprehensive Guide to USPM!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 34990
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:35 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Obsidian Dreams is basically what you'd expect - like the acoustic stuff on the proper MR albums. But it's good and has a lot of strong stuff. There's a rougher sounding version of "Tree of Life" from Voyager on there. Whole thing is just his warm voice and some nice soothing acoustic guitars.

So it's basically an album full of "The Fountain," then? I might have to take a look. I love that song.


More or less - he was a talented songwriter and he could do both electric and acoustic stuff. Versatile.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Black Roses
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 2656
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:04 am 
 

Jophelerx wrote:
Also wanted to report that, though it's hardly new anymore, Idol Throne's album from last year, The Sibylline Age, is fucking amazing USPM/thrash with an emphasis on the THRASH, feeling like something that could have come from Realm or Deadly Blessing maybe, and the vocalist is a fantastic shrieker but also quite versatile. If anyone else missed this when it came out, just check out the opener "Unholy Warrior" and tell me this doesn't melt your face!


This is fuckin wicked and has been ordered. Cheers for the recs last year, always appreciated.

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Found some time today to go through the 2 new singles of Solitary Sabred. The Cypriot swordbrothers with Asgardlord's crazy metal-dripping vocals most certainly delivered! I knew he was extremely enthusiastic about the new material and couldn't wait to share and I think he was justified. I LOVE both of them, especially Bound by the Lich.

#1 Solitary Sabred - Spectral Domain

#2 Solitary Sabred - Bound by the Lich

This is bloody good too. I forgot to revisit it leading up to AOTY unfortunately. It would've at least made a honorable mention. And once again, cheers for the recs last year, greatly appreciated.

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Has anyone heard Mark Shelton's album Obsidian Dreams? Is it good? What does it sound like?
While we're at it, same questions for Mark Shelton and Rick Fisher's Riddlemaster.

If you like the acoustic side of MR then yeah Obsidian Dreams is great. Riddlemaster is basically MR if ya ask me, so just get in there. Also Hellwell is bloody cool too if you haven't checked that side project out.

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 2840
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:06 am 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Also wanted to report that, though it's hardly new anymore, Idol Throne's album from last year, The Sibylline Age, is fucking amazing USPM/thrash with an emphasis on the THRASH, feeling like something that could have come from Realm or Deadly Blessing maybe, and the vocalist is a fantastic shrieker but also quite versatile. If anyone else missed this when it came out, just check out the opener "Unholy Warrior" and tell me this doesn't melt your face!


This is fuckin wicked and has been ordered. Cheers for the recs last year, always appreciated.

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Found some time today to go through the 2 new singles of Solitary Sabred. The Cypriot swordbrothers with Asgardlord's crazy metal-dripping vocals most certainly delivered! I knew he was extremely enthusiastic about the new material and couldn't wait to share and I think he was justified. I LOVE both of them, especially Bound by the Lich.

#1 Solitary Sabred - Spectral Domain

#2 Solitary Sabred - Bound by the Lich

This is bloody good too. I forgot to revisit it leading up to AOTY unfortunately. It would've at least made a honorable mention. And once again, cheers for the recs last year, greatly appreciated.

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Has anyone heard Mark Shelton's album Obsidian Dreams? Is it good? What does it sound like?
While we're at it, same questions for Mark Shelton and Rick Fisher's Riddlemaster.

If you like the acoustic side of MR then yeah Obsidian Dreams is great. Riddlemaster is basically MR if ya ask me, so just get in there. Also Hellwell is bloody cool too if you haven't checked that side project out.


Speaking of Hellwell, can someone please explain to me why it's so easy to get the first album on CD for less than $10 USD but impossible to get the second album on CD for any less than like fucking $50 USD? Considering they were both released on the same goddamn label as each other.

Top
 Profile  
Jophelerx
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:22 pm
Posts: 1456
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Also wanted to report that, though it's hardly new anymore, Idol Throne's album from last year, The Sibylline Age, is fucking amazing USPM/thrash with an emphasis on the THRASH, feeling like something that could have come from Realm or Deadly Blessing maybe, and the vocalist is a fantastic shrieker but also quite versatile. If anyone else missed this when it came out, just check out the opener "Unholy Warrior" and tell me this doesn't melt your face!


This is fuckin wicked and has been ordered. Cheers for the recs last year, always appreciated.


Cool, glad you dug it! I also just found out about Hammerstar, their debut album is also from 2022, features Quimby from Skullview on vocals. Very solid traditional metal with some USPM vibes here and there. Not as crazy as Idol Throne but still very much worth checking out. I'm kind of surprised I hadn't noticed this sooner considering how big a Skullview fanboy I am, but hey, better late than never!



Quote:
Speaking of Hellwell, can someone please explain to me why it's so easy to get the first album on CD for less than $10 USD but impossible to get the second album on CD for any less than like fucking $50 USD? Considering they were both released on the same goddamn label as each other.


I was a bit surprised to see that, though I haven't paid attention to the price of the album since it came out, but I quickly found this. https://store.manillaroad.net/product/h ... -s-eyes-cd
Only $15, not sure where you were seeing 50+ but go ahead and pull the trigger! This website also has it for 12 euros with 5 euro worldwide shipping if that works better for where you are: https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/hell ... mons_eyes/
_________________
Check out my new Comprehensive Guide to USPM!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 2840
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:58 am 
 

Jophelerx wrote:

I was a bit surprised to see that, though I haven't paid attention to the price of the album since it came out, but I quickly found this. https://store.manillaroad.net/product/h ... -s-eyes-cd
Only $15, not sure where you were seeing 50+ but go ahead and pull the trigger! This website also has it for 12 euros with 5 euro worldwide shipping if that works better for where you are: https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/hell ... mons_eyes/


I never in a million years would have thought to check Manilla Road's website! :lol: Thank you for that, just pulled the trigger. For brand new copies I kept trying all my usual suspects for this kind of metal, SKR, Hellsheadbangers, High Roller (the actual label it was released on), grooves-inc., Deep Discount, Rockadrome, No Remorse Records... No one has it. So try second hand and the only places I know to go for second hand are discogs, amazon, and ebay. I may have been exagerating with $50, but I very frequently check those places and recently discogs had one copy available for ~$35 USD, plus the shipping which was an arm and a leg. I know this is extremely normal for our kind of collecting, its the contrast with how cheap and how available it is to get the first album brand new that has me mystified.

Top
 Profile  
BillRaygun
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:21 am 
 

hello ive been pretty checked out of Heavy/Power/Speed Metal the last 6 ish years and i would simply like some of your favorite albums albums that i would have missed. Thanks

Top
 Profile  
Spiderlix
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:11 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:06 pm 
 

Hi guys.I was trying to do my Big 4 from speed metal.Two criterions are:Be a veteran band and have a speed metal discography as long as it could.I mean,a long speed discography as it can.I have nearly two granted:Exciter and Acid.

I thought about Motorhead,but i feel they are more a heavy/speed.But i ain't taking off their influencies at the genre (I was even thinking to do a speed metal pioneers big four which play more traditional heavy metal,like Motorhead and Judas Priest).

I have some favorites to the other two places:Atomkraft,Venom (But they follow thrash since Cast in Stone),Riot,Running Wild (But they are more pirate/power),Satan (They are pioneers,but i feel they are more heavy/NWOBHM),Stress (Brazilian pioneer band),Raven (But they abandoned speed between 80s/90s),Razor (But more thrash),Agent Steel (But need to check their last albums),Abattoir and etc.

I just came here to ask to you guys if you know more veteran speed metal bands that i should give a listen to help me to create my Big Four (I intend to do a modern speed metal bands big four.Enforcer,Seax and Skull Fist are favorites).

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 4226
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:23 pm 
 

Abattoir, Exciter, Living Death, Iron Angel
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!

Top
 Profile  
Bronze Age
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 pm
Posts: 620
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:25 am 
 

BillRaygun wrote:
hello ive been pretty checked out of Heavy/Power/Speed Metal the last 6 ish years and i would simply like some of your favorite albums albums that i would have missed. Thanks


Welcome, I had checked our for about 20 years but have been paying attention for the last couple of years.

Check out albums from Theocracy, Signum Regis, Narnia, Wings of Steel, Angra, Sacred Outcry, Megaton Sword, Metal Church, Diviner, Blind Guardian, Stratovarious, Helloween, Sorcerer, Stryper, Michael Romeo, Arjen A Lucasson's Star One, Zero Hour, Riot City, Livewire and Saint from the last 2 years.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4577
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:35 pm 
 

found the 1984 split album "Death Metal" with Running Wild, Helloween, Hellhammer and Dark Avenger at a metal record shop today. I wanted to buy it so bad, but $100...
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 620, 621, 622, 623, 624


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group