Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 am 

Missed this one early in January, super solid symphonic melodeath:

I think I already made this request, but my memory is extremely fucked up right now... so how about melodeath/doom? Not looking for the October Tide or Swallow the Sun melancholic type; something with a sinister vibe... think about Hooded Menace + Garden of Shadows or something similar.

Also would love to know the band behind these songs:

The uploader says that a friend of a friend gave to him a blank cd written "black metal", and he wants to know who made them. Maybe the own uploader made the songs and is trying to promote himself, failing horribly, who knows...

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:04 am 

Any bands similar to Be'lakor (esp. Stone's Reach) not named Omnium Gatherum and Insomnium.

BTW checkout Countless Skies (a band named themeselves after this song), if you like melodeath this will surely please you!

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:31 am 

omnishadow wrote:
I think I already made this request, but my memory is extremely fucked up right now... so how about melodeath/doom? Not looking for the October Tide or Swallow the Sun melancholic type; something with a sinister vibe... think about Hooded Menace + Garden of Shadows or something similar.

A personal favourite of mine is Red Moon Architect. Both their releases are quite different from each other - the first, Concealed Silence, is more melodic, although maybe more melancholic as a result. Fall is more focused on the death/doom elements, so it's darker and more subtle. Both albums are great, though.

Mist of Nihil may or may not be what you're looking for. I wouldn't class their stuff as overly melancholic, but sinister probably isn't right either. They focus largely on the melodic side of things, but there's something very smothering about the atmosphere that you might like. Semi-related band Aetherian seem darker to me, but they're just melodeath rather than melodic death/doom.

What about Kaunis Kuolematon? Couldn't find a full album stream, but here's one of the songs from their first LP. To me this sounds like what you're after. And I'm not so sure about this one, but possibly Evadne. There's quite a bit of prog in there so it goes through phases of being both sinister and melancholic.

Finally, I would throw Endlesshade in there. They're not melodeath/doom per se (classed as blackened death/doom), but there's plenty of melody in their music and it definitely has that evil vibe that you're after. Without a doubt my favourite death/doom album.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:41 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Any bands similar to Be'lakor (esp. Stone's Reach) not named Omnium Gatherum and Insomnium.

BTW checkout Countless Skies (a band named themeselves after this song), if you like melodeath this will surely please you!

Ahh Stone's Reach... definitely in my top 10 melodeath albums of all time. Here, try these:

There' also Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse, and Nimbatus, but then it may not be what you're looking for.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:53 am 

omnishadow wrote:
IamDBR wrote:

Ahh Stone's Reach... definitely in my top 10 melodeath albums of all time. Here, try these:

There' also Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse, and Nimbatus, but then it may not be what you're looking for.

Holy Fucking Shit....thanks alot, seriously!

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Holy Fucking Shit....thanks alot, seriously!

Glad you liked it. Enjoy!

PorcupineOfDoom wrote:
omnishadow wrote:

A personal favourite of mine is Red Moon Architect. Both their releases are quite different from each other - the first, Concealed Silence, is more melodic, although maybe more melancholic as a result. Fall is more focused on the death/doom elements, so it's darker and more subtle. Both albums are great, though.

Mist of Nihil may or may not be what you're looking for. I wouldn't class their stuff as overly melancholic, but sinister probably isn't right either. They focus largely on the melodic side of things, but there's something very smothering about the atmosphere that you might like. Semi-related band Aetherian seem darker to me, but they're just melodeath rather than melodic death/doom.

What about Kaunis Kuolematon? Couldn't find a full album stream, but here's one of the songs from their first LP. To me this sounds like what you're after. And I'm not so sure about this one, but possibly Evadne. There's quite a bit of prog in there so it goes through phases of being both sinister and melancholic.

Finally, I would throw Endlesshade in there. They're not melodeath/doom per se (classed as blackened death/doom), but there's plenty of melody in their music and it definitely has that evil vibe that you're after. Without a doubt my favourite death/doom album.

Unfortunately none of those bands are what I'm looking for, all of then have some melancholy running, but then I didn't explain very well: I want melodeath/doom, whithout all that melancholy from the bands that I mentioned; looking for sinister, evil, doomy bands(Asphyx, Hooded Menace) that mix it with a bit more agressive melodeath(Evocation, Crocell).
TLDR: melodeath/doom without melancholy/sadness, must be dark, evil, doomy(death/doom) and agressive, melodic(melodeath).

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:17 pm 

I thought I was in the ball park with those recs, but I'm sorry that they weren't what you were after.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:41 pm 

No need to sorry, man, I even thank you for the Fall album, very nice one, and Endlesshade, completely forgot them!

Perfect_Hand
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:00 pm 

Hello Everyone

First time poster here, so I apologize if my contributions aren't very good. I was honestly never really into metal (except some shitty nu-metal when I was young) until about three months ago, so I have a lot to learn. That being said, I've found that I really enjoy melodic death metal and in exploration of that sub-genre as well as a few others, I've purchased nearly seventy albums since May. I guess it's an obsession. Haha

Anyway, I'd like to throw in a few tracks/bands that I've been enjoying and that may not have been posted in this thread.

1.) Parasite Inc.
https://parasiteinc.bandcamp.com/track/in-the-dark
Now, these guys were mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread, but I wanted to mention them again as many people don't seem to know of them.

2.) Kalter - From Now To Eternity
Spoiler: show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01HuHgtGMek

I enjoyed this album but that song is probably my favorite.

3.) Anterior - Blood In The Throne Room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYiS_bvQ_L0

Again, enjoyed this album but this song is my favorite.

4.) Imperanon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQazKi2qaas

These guys only made one album. I've read some criticism claiming that Imperanon's music is samey and uninspired. Being a newb, I can't really argue that point, but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I've found this site to be immensely helpful in exploring the world of metal. Keep up the good work!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:09 pm 

Perfect_Hand wrote:
Hello Everyone

First time poster here, so I apologize if my contributions aren't very good. I was honestly never really into metal (except some shitty nu-metal when I was young) until about three months ago, so I have a lot to learn. That being said, I've found that I really enjoy melodic death metal and in exploration of that sub-genre as well as a few others, I've purchased nearly seventy albums since May. I guess it's an obsession. Haha

Anyway, I'd like to throw in a few tracks/bands that I've been enjoying and that may not have been posted in this thread.

1.) Parasite Inc.
Now, these guys were mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread, but I wanted to mention them again as many people don't seem to know of them.

4.) Imperanon

These guys only made one album. I've read some criticism claiming that Imperanon's music is samey and uninspired. Being a newb, I can't really argue that point, but I enjoy them nonetheless.

I've found this site to be immensely helpful in exploring the world of metal. Keep up the good work!

First of all, welcome!

Secondly, holy fucking shit I wish I could part with money like that :p

Finally, try these bands Whispered, Kalmah, Spartan, Suidakra, Arkona, Be'lakor.

Perfect_Hand
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:17 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Perfect_Hand wrote:
Hello Everyone

1.) Parasite Inc.

4.) Imperanon

First of all, welcome!

Secondly, holy fucking shit I wish I could part with money like that :p

Finally, try these bands Whispered, Kalmah, Spartan, Suidakra, Arkona, Be'lakor.

Thanks! I'm not rich, I'm just not good at being poor. lol

Kalmah is my absolute favorite. I already have all their stuff and I love it. Be'lakor is also cool, I have some of their stuff as well.

As for Whispered, Spartan, Suidakra, and Arkona, I'll have to look into them. Thanks for the recommendations.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:32 am 

You're welcome, anytime!

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:29 pm 

De Profundis have just released a promo video which may appeal to some in this thread, despite not ripping off Insomnium or Be'lakor.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:14 am 

Evil_Obsidian wrote:
De Profundis have just released a promo video which may appeal to some in this thread, despite not ripping off Insomnium or Be'lakor.

Dude, this is death/doom, liking it for sure. However, I don't see the melodeath connection.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:24 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Evil_Obsidian wrote:

Dude, this is death/doom, liking it for sure. However, I don't see the melodeath connection.

I can't hear any trace of doom, and if melodeath and melodic death metal is different, then yes, I agree that there isn't much of the former either.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:23 pm 

Melodeath = Melodic Death Metal, it's basically a shortened term.

Yeah, after a proper listen I do admit that I was way off with that doom tag. It's some sort of progressive death metal, not sure though. Reminds me of Akercocke somewhat. Still any other stuff like this?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am 

Guys? *voice echoes*

I needed more stuff like Wintersun's 1st album. Any recs?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:31 pm 

Frosttide.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:50 pm 

Evil_Obsidian wrote:

Not bad. Sounds like Opeth playing Insomnium, but more darker.

IamDBR wrote:
Guys? *voice echoes*

I needed more stuff like Wintersun's 1st album. Any recs?

Whispered and Starkill comes to mind.

Still looking for melodeath/doom without the melancholy and sadness.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:27 am 

Frosttide & Starkill will do, already know & love Whispered. Thanks!

@ omnishadow: About the melodeath/doom thing, any band for reference so I can suggest you something accordingly?

Infernal Torment
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:37 am 

Hey guys Id like some similar stuff to Hammer Horde.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:59 pm 

Infernal Torment wrote:
Hey guys Id like some similar stuff to Hammer Horde.

What about King of Asgard, Manegram, Einherjer?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the those in charge :D :

Why not we upgrade this thread to Melodic Death/Folk/Viking/Pagan Metal Help Thread? That way we'd get more activity here plus it'll eliminate the "where should I post this question" phenomena.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:13 am 

IamDBR wrote:
@ omnishadow: About the melodeath/doom thing, any band for reference so I can suggest you something accordingly?

After days searching for it, I found today some bands(and some bizarre ones like this, hehe) that fits my criteria, like Deathevokation, Gorement, and God Macabre to some extent. Desultory and Cenotaph are also somewhat close to what I'm looking for. Maybe a proper death/doom with lots of "crypt melodies" could do it...

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:43 am 

omnishadow wrote:
After days searching for it, I found today some bands(and some bizarre ones like this, hehe) that fits my criteria, like Deathevokation, Gorement, and God Macabre to some extent. Desultory and Cenotaph are also somewhat close to what I'm looking for. Maybe a proper death/doom with lots of "crypt melodies" could do it...

Really digging the bands you mentioned.

How about this:

Shed the Skin - Harrowing Faith | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqaXEG0QXMk

Debut material from American death metal outfit, Shed the Skin. Featuring past and present members of Incantation, Funerus, Vital Remains, Ringworm, Soulless, etc. Those are some big names right there. Haven't given it a full listen but it seems pretty promising.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 pm 

Vital Remains is one of the few american dm bands that I enjoy, so now the one you mentioned will need to enter the group. Brutal, fast and agressive, yet melodic; very melodic for usdm, which is great, because I always thought that this specific dm style benefits with a bit more melodies. But I also hear some swedeath too, not much though, as well as doom. But when they slow the pace is when things get interesting, and the solos are good too. Would be awesome if they had more of those doomy sections. Thanks!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
Vital Remains is one of the few american dm bands that I enjoy, so now the one you mentioned will need to enter the group. Brutal, fast and agressive, yet melodic; very melodic for usdm, which is great, because I always thought that this specific dm style benefits with a bit more melodies. But I also hear some swedeath too, not much though, as well as doom. But when they slow the pace is when things get interesting, and the solos are good too. Would be awesome if they had more of those doomy sections. Thanks!

Not sure if this fits your request but also try:

Shadow of Intent - Primordial | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VbBuXJmg1s

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:47 pm 

Nah, not a big fan of tech, and I can count with my fingers the amount of deathcore that I enjoy. Can't say much of this band, but that they sound very ambicious and that the growls, jesus/satan... I don't remember the last time that I've heard such great vocals! Oh, and there's no doom on it.

Here, try this.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:06 am 

omnishadow wrote:
Nah, not a big fan of tech, and I can count with my fingers the amount of deathcore that I enjoy. Can't say much of this band, but that they sound very ambicious and that the growls, jesus/satan... I don't remember the last time that I've heard such great vocals! Oh, and there's no doom on it.

Yeah, I knew that was a long shot but I thought I should give you one more rec before going to bed. :-P

omnishadow wrote:
Here, try this.

Listening to this right now, kind of hit 'n miss so far but it definitely has me intrigued.

Also, you might already know about this band & album but if not, this is one the best melodeath I've had the pleasure of listening. It is a bit progressive & definitely gloomy & doomy. I present to you:

Be'lakor - Stone's Reach | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiQOOrj-fY

The track Countless Skies is so awesome that another melodeath band named themselves after it.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:23 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
omnishadow wrote:
Here, try this.

Listening to this right now, kind of hit 'n miss so far but it definitely has me intrigued.

It's a grower for most, but I fell in love with it in the very first song. Very unique album, and the fact that it has very little deathcore on it makes it even more special for me.

IamDBR wrote:
Also, you might already know about this band & album but if not, this is one the best melodeath I've had the pleasure of listening. It is a bit progressive & definitely gloomy & doomy. I present to you:

Be'lakor - Stone's Reach | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiQOOrj-fY

omnishadow wrote:
IamDBR wrote:

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:01 am 

Blame my shit memory, haha. How about this:

Amjs2000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:13 pm 

Does anyone know any good melodic death metal bands that Gothenburg sound in their music. I already know about Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, and In Flames.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:29 am 

Pretty obvious picks but I'm guessing you haven't heard most of these:

Mid to present era Carcass, they were doing this melodeath thing the same time as the Gothenburg scene
Kalmah & Wintersun for ott neoclassical shredding
Dissection for melodic black/death
The Black Dahlia Murder for 'Amercanized' melodeath
Amon Amarth for anthemic Viking themed goodness

Roboturner913
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:18 am 

Amjs2000 wrote:
Does anyone know any good melodic death metal bands that Gothenburg sound in their music. I already know about Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, and In Flames.

Nightrage (start with "Descent into Chaos")
Omnium Gatherum (more keyboard, like latter-day DT, start with "The Redshift")
Sonic Syndicate (a Soilwork copy, more or less, solid, but not innovative. All their stuff pretty much sounds the same)
Arch Enemy (a thrashier take, "Doomsday Machine" is a good entry point but I suspect you may more enjoy their older stuff with the first vocalist)
Scar Symmetry (proggy supergroup, Soilwork on steroids. start with "Pitch Black Progress")

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:35 am 

Amjs2000 wrote:

Eucharist (they belong to the big 4 of Gothenburg Melodeath, aside the 3 bands You mentioned)
Excretion - Voice of Harmony (like early At the Gates)
Mors Principium Est (start with The Unborn)
Sacrilege
Gates of Ishtar
Divine Souls (very much like In Flames -Colony/Clayman)
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Vilda Mannu

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:13 am 

Ablaze My Sorrow

Found this band today while checking out some vinyl collection vid on youtube, awesome Swedish melodeath that got lost in the shuffle back then. They reformed a few years ago & have released an album this year too.

If Emotion Still Burns (1996) | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA7D8lI ... uraOfAEGIS

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:15 pm 

Amjs2000 wrote:

Assuming you know and like Arch Enemy (pretty obvious they're a big influence for this band), Frantic Amber are worth a listen. What they do is nothing new, but they're still a strong modern act. Warbell are also a fairly standard melodeath band who might appeal.

Of course, as usual I've also got to bring up my favourite band Infinite Tales. Catchy, energetic melodeath that mixes soprano cleans with the usual growls. I don't know if I'd quite call it Gothenburg metal, but I love it whatever label you give it. If this ends up taking your fancy maybe try Ecliptyka too, although they stretch towards power metal.

A couple of good Greek bands worth a shout are Aetherian and Mist of Nihil. MoN are ultra melodic and pretty hard hitting, but I imagine Aetherian's (slightly) less full-on approach is more what you're after.

Finally, a few Gothenburg-y bands with some -core influences that may or may not fit the bill: Heaven Shall Burn, Karkaos and Deadlock.

Perhaps not all Gothenburg metal, but hopefully something in there is what you're looking for :)

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:55 am 

Oracles is a pretty awesome modern melodeath band. They have a nice blend of death growls (handled by Sven from Aborted) & operatic female vocals backed up by solid drum/bass work with a fucking wizard (Mendel) on guitars.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Oracles/3540413684

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:57 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Oracles is a pretty awesome modern melodeath band. They have a nice blend of death growls (handled by Sven from Aborted) & operatic female vocals backed up by solid drum/bass work with a fucking wizard (Mendel) on guitars.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Oracles/3540413684

Nice, didn't realise System Divide had formed another band. I think I prefer SD, but Oracles sound pretty cool so far.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:24 pm 

RIP 2016, you sucked. New year, 2017, hope we get better albums in comparison to last year(new Kalmah 2017!). Can't even make a decent list...

Infernal Tenebra - As Nations Fall - the "cleans" sounds out of place sometimes, but can't complain about the rest, also so many good, technical riffs, solos here...

Exmortus - Ride Forth - maybe as good as the debut, if a bit less agressive(production didn't help); vast improvement in songwriting and musicianship compared to last albums, can see this band going far in future;

Hyperion - Seraphical Euphony - meloblack/death, vocals and productin are great;

Be'lakor - Vessels - first half is brilliant, its far from Stone's Reach, some killer riffs here, ok album.

Ill punch Anders Fridén's face for each one that post your top melodeath albums from 2016.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:42 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
RIP 2016, you sucked. New year, 2017, hope we get better albums in comparison to last year

Amen to that, brother :lol: Not much to choose from, but there were a few good melodeath albums:

Fear of Domination - Atlas - Not as energetic or heavy as past releases, instead opting for a darker tone that doesn't quite work as it ought to. Against a strong discography I'd say this was possibly their weakest to date (just), but overall still a strong album and tracks like 'Final Transmission' and 'Primordial' are killer.

Amon Amarth - Jomsviking - This one was met with mixed reviews, but honestly I really enjoyed it. It's one of the reasons I've got back into Amon Amarth's discography this year.

Allegaeon - Proponent for Sentience - I first heard this one briefly when it was released and made a mental note to come back to it later, eventually getting around to that during the review challenge. All I can say is that it's a masterpiece that shades even the other great albums in their discography. Stand out though has to be 'Cognitive Computations'.

But even though it wasn't all bad, I'm hopeful 2017 will yield more gems. Got my eye on Red Moon Architect, Krimh, The Project Hate, The Slow Death and Alunah already (not all strictly melodeath, but whatever), with a few others hopefully releasing new stuff as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next