Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 pm 

Hello.

Sorry for such a vague request, it's all about personal perception, so it's kind of hard to describe.

First of all, I'd like to post this comment from YouTube as an example that perfectly describes the mood/state in which I need to listen to these songs (it's about the song "The Rip" by Portishead):
"Pretty sure this song is about over coming depression, or being at that vulnerable state where your depression could either break or relapse. A point where you gain enough clarity to look inward at self and out ward at world at what has made you bitter, taking inventory, and then either overcoming or sinking again."

I'm looking for songs that can help prevent / or get out of depression. These may include (lyrically):
- songs that are dedicated to alleviating/solving problems of inner fears / or painful memories from the past, preferably with the emphasis on "try to understand / to accept and move on", not "to fight / to forget completely";
- songs that can give you a little hope/solace in moments of hopelessness/despair.

I'm not looking for:
- this kind of inspirational/motivational song — unfortunately, it does not work for me. I tend to listen to music that reflects my emotions/feelings at the moment, so slow/mid-tempo songs with gloomy/dark atmosphere are more suitable for this type of *introspective* mood;
- songs about self-destruction (suicide, alcohol, drugs);
- anything religious-related.

I'm not looking for any specific genre, both metal and non-metal recommendations are equally good.
Lyrics in English and clean vocals / or growls, preferably.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by ~Guest 427139 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:01 pm 

Recent outputs of Anathema can be mentioned here, especially We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems.
And then there is Antimatter with all of their discography...

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:53 pm 

MANOWAR - "Battle Hymn"

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:44 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Recent outputs of Anathema can be mentioned here, especially We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems.
And then there is Antimatter with all of their discography...

Thanks! Amazing lyrics, lots of hope can be found there. The music fits the mood of the request perfectly.
Need to revisit Antimatter's discography and get familiar with recent *more optimistic* albums by Anathema.

Temple Of Blood wrote:
MANOWAR - "Battle Hymn"

Thanks! It's a great song, I like the music and vocals a lot. As for the mood, it's a bit too 'epic' for this request.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:55 pm 

Try Reverend Bizarre's Anywhere Out of This World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAmNiN2qoA

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:43 pm 

Amerigo wrote:
Try Reverend Bizarre's Anywhere Out of This World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAmNiN2qoA

Thanks! This is a very impressive and powerful song. Amazing atmosphere, I like the music and vocals a lot. In fact, songs with similar structure / mood changes (from anxiety/despair to calmness/hope) have the greatest effect on me.

Edit: Generally, I try to avoid suicide-related lyrics whenever possible, but I gave it a try. This song really works, it certainly makes me feel much better.

I would like to give a perfect example of a song with the same structure, but, unfortunately, I couldn't find it on youtube/bandcamp. It's the song "I Am The Bleeding Shape" by Albireon (an Italian neofolk project). There is a part of the lyrics: an external link

Last edited by ~Guest 427139 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 am 

Pretty much anything Type O Negative, but the main songs I'd put forward here would be "I Don't Wanna Be Me", "Bloody Kisses", "September Sun", "Everyone Dies", and "Everyone I Love Is Dead".

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:40 am 

Latest Abysmal Grief Album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCJnyfUjQIE

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm 

Bates wrote:
Pretty much anything Type O Negative, but the main songs I'd put forward here would be "I Don't Wanna Be Me", "Bloody Kisses", "September Sun", "Everyone Dies", and "Everyone I Love Is Dead".

Thanks! The songs "Everyone Dies" and "Everyone I Love Is Dead" fit: fear of death (especially fear of losing people you love) is a very appropriate subject for this request. Also, great music and vocals on "Everyone Dies", I like it a lot.
As for the lyrics in general, there are many mentions of suicide and religion, plus some lyrics are too angry/aggressive for this kind of mood (I don't want to blame others for my troubles).

Damballah wrote:

Thanks! Amazing music and atmosphere, I'll check it out in more detail.
As for the lyrics, I prefer more "traditional" subjects for this kind of mood (related to psychology/psychiatry, not mysticism/occult ritualism).

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:55 pm 

I realized that synthpop and darkwave does the job for me. Drab Majesty, Cold Cave, Tear for Fears, some of Depeche Mode's darker tracks.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:10 pm 

Electric Death wrote:
I realized that synthpop and darkwave does the job for me. Drab Majesty, Cold Cave, Tear for Fears, some of Depeche Mode's darker tracks.

You are right. My Girlfriend is Goth and through her i came in contact with all those synthpop, futurepop stuff. It's very depressed stuff. Living in austria, we have mostly the german bands around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTD3cMSYV2c Torul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5mf4LV7Jw VNV Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitP3Kz0Dpc DE/Vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glSEG0P_uAA Solar Fake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPpPER_moV4 Welle:Erdball

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am 

A splendidly specific need, right there. I've noticed that I usually look for such answers or impetus for such cogitations from the music itself, not the lyrics per se, but I found that I do have somesuch pieces which might be of avail. Non-metal, all of them.

The first one is a rather twee track by the Zombies, a pop group from the sixties - a sort of more refined Beatles, if you will. Chances are some will spurn this kind of music for all its saccharine qualities, but I find it extremely simple and comforting. Especially the line "she only needs to be alone - she knows the mood will pass." Yes, it's about love, yet it doesn't take much to supplant this universal theme with another, whatever it be.

Now, something much more ambitious and multivalent. One of the best tracks by the best band in existence - the actual message of this song is very difficult to decode. It could be an autobiographical song about Anderson himself, or it could be something far more applicable, I couldn't say. I just know that the lyrics and the music take you through an urban landscape in all its grittiness and hopelessness, yet you will emerge from the squalor as a more resolute human being. The music, the performance, the élan alone has such a powerful, evocative side to it: it starts as somewhat breezy and observational, then it succumbs slowly into debauchery, melancholy and ultimately depression... and soars out triumphantly in the end, overcoming itself yet not really changing anything externally. The lyrics merely bolster these impressions by setting the scene and allowing Anderson's life-affirming voice to have substance.

So in case you're in the mood for something a bit more abstract and playful, tuck in!

The final piece is a monumental prog epic by VdGG, which, contrary to the imagery used in the song, is not really religious. Quite the reverse - it's about coming to terms with life without God or hope, and trying to find some kind of motivating to pull through in the grand scale. Hair-raisingly brilliant and emotional - I just hope you don't mind some proggy flourishes here and there!

Last edited by Gastjale on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:23 pm 

Electric Death wrote:

Thanks! Darkwave is a perfect genre for this type of mood, as well, I enjoy some synthpop music. I only know of Depeche Mode out of the four you mentioned, but I haven't listened to them in quite some time. I'll check all these projects out.

Damballah wrote:
My Girlfriend is Goth and through her i came in contact with all those synthpop, futurepop stuff. It's very depressed stuff. Living in austria, we have mostly the german bands around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTD3cMSYV2c Torul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5mf4LV7Jw VNV Nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitP3Kz0Dpc DE/Vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glSEG0P_uAA Solar Fake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPpPER_moV4 Welle:Erdball

Thanks again! Some of these beats and rhythms are too fast for this request, but all the vocals are great, and there are very interesting/promising lyrics as well. I'll check it out in more detail, too.

Gastjale, thanks for the recommendations. Such an impressive description!
It was very interesting to listen to all those songs, and I like the music, vocals, and lyrics a lot, but honestly, I'm not entirely sure if they'll work (musically, it's quite an unusual choice for this kind of mood).

I think ''Brief Candles'' might work: even though the music is not dark/gloomy, but the lyrics are just perfect. Plus the formula "the simpler/more repetitive music is, the better" really works for this mood.

Also, I'm absolutely in love with the song "Childlike Faith In Childhood's End": amazing vocals and atmosphere (especially the part from 4:55 to 6:35). The lyrical theme is really one of a kind, I think it will be much more effective and interesting for me to listen to this song in calm/neutral mood/state (as well as the song "Baker St. Muse").

Gastjale wrote:
A splendidly specific need, right there. I've noticed that I usually look for such answers or impetus for such cogitations from the music itself, not the lyrics per se, but I found that I do have somesuch pieces which might be of avail.

Mostly I listen to instrumental tracks or just focus on the music/atmosphere (I think my favorite album for this mood is "Shadows of the Sun" by Ulver), but it's only because it is not easy to find songs with the combination of gloomy/dark atmosphere and ''a bit more positive'' lyrics (related to these specific subjects).

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm 

Try VNV Nation, particulary these songs:

- Beloved
- Homeward
- Standing
- Saviour
- Illusion
- Legion
- Perpetual

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 pm 

Xymosys, Damballah, first of all, let me tell you both how grateful I am for this *spot-on* VNV Nation recommendation, this is incredible! I think I'm going to be a huge fan of this project; now I just need to find their albums on CDs, asap.

Well, what more can I say... I've just spent a few hours listening to their songs and reading some very inspirational stories/comments on youtube, and I don't have words to describe what I'm feeling right now.
This is exactly what I'm looking for: the music with dark/gloomy atmosphere, and the lyrics that make you feel like there's a chance to get out of a depressed mood/state / or the lyrics that make you feel calm/safe..

I love almost all the above-mentioned songs, though, I kinda feel upset when the songwriting comes at the cost of (anti-)religious theme/imagery (like the "Saviour" lyrics): generally, I don't mind it, but not for this type of mood/state.

Musically, I prefer their slower stuff: the song "Illusion" is absolutely special -- amazing music and vocals, plus the lyrics are the epitome of hope and solace.
Also, I was particularly impressed by the song "Suffer" -- I think this one can help me cope with that terrible fear of past-related involuntary memories / nightmares.

Once again, thank you all, I really appreciate the recommendations I've received here.

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:07 am 

I'm not sure, but you may enjoy White Lies. It's dark, brooding, but sort of uplifting at the same time.

A personal favourite of theirs- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNJkSP5jUfQ

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:16 pm 

Endarkening wrote:
I'm not sure, but you may enjoy White Lies. It's dark, brooding, but sort of uplifting at the same time.

A personal favourite of theirs- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNJkSP5jUfQ

Thanks! Great music and vocals, I'll check them out in more detail.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:52 am 

Not sure it fits your bill, but The Angelic Process is about the most emotional music I can think of. Calmness, anger, depression, hope, it’s all there. The album Weighing Souls With Sand is a good place to start. The production and atmosphere is thick so I suggest headphones

Dante95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 pm 

Anything from Paradise Lost early albums especially Icon, Draconian Times, Host will do the trick. Been a great help for me as well. Hope you feel better mate. Cheers.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:08 am 

You should definitely try Lycia

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:00 pm 

pbarb wrote:
Not sure it fits your bill, but The Angelic Process is about the most emotional music I can think of. Calmness, anger, depression, hope, it’s all there. The album Weighing Souls With Sand is a good place to start. The production and atmosphere is thick so I suggest headphones

Thanks, I took your advice and listened to "Weighing Souls With Sand" in headphones. I'm absolutely in love with the sound, plus the atmosphere is truly amazing and unique. Also, there is something special about the vocals: I usually have trouble with all those distorted vocals, but that singing is so great and emotional! It's a very important part of the atmosphere, I like it a lot.

As for the mood, it's difficult to believe that there is some hope in The Angelic Process' discography :'|
This description looks like the opposite of what I'm looking for:
"..Kris Angylus came up with the idea to write a long series of concept albums about a man and his wife suffering immense amounts of pain and torment at the hands of a God before both committing suicide. Eventually, the characters were unable to cope with their hellish lives and succumbed to immeasurable depression.."
... and I've read that extremely sad and tragic story about Kris Angylus' life and death...
;_;

However, after listening to "Weighing Souls With Sand", I can say that there is a certain kind of calmness/solace that makes me feel better during the time when I'm in a depressive state, but there is not enough clarity/strength to think about my problem and to overcome it yet / or that specific "the calm before the storm" kind of stuff.. I especially like the mood and atmosphere in the first part of the song "Dying in A-Minor".

As for their heavier and more emotional/soul-crushing songs, they remind me of "Ekstasis" by Dolorian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSy5eLPOBjM
You literally feel the pain and suffering while listening to it, but, at the same time, it can give you some relief.

Sometimes it really works for me, but it's way too depressive for this request.

Dante95 wrote:
Anything from Paradise Lost early albums especially Icon, Draconian Times, Host will do the trick. Been a great help for me as well. Hope you feel better mate. Cheers.

Thank you for kind words, listening to music definitely makes me feel better.
And thanks for the recommendation, I know about Paradise Lost but haven't listened to them in years.
Musically, it's just perfect, and I like some lyrics as well, especially from "Draconian Times". Need to revisit their early albums.

Xymosys wrote:
You should definitely try Lycia

Thanks again, you gave me the recommendation that is perfectly in tune with my musical preferences. This is such an awesome band, and I'm so glad that their discography is available on Bandcamp.
I've just noticed this band on Canaan's "similar artists" page (on last.fm), can't believe I missed them.
The music and vocals create such an amazing atmosphere, I love it!
As for the lyrical themes, they are very sad and depressive, but there are also some more positive/neutral moments here and there.
From what I've listened, I think "Mist" and "Late Night Solitude" are my most favorite songs by them: they are gloomy and calm/relaxing at the same time. ♥

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:15 pm 

Sounds like hardcore punk may be what your looking for. So much of it deals with getting stepped on and picking yourself back up. It’s more of a strength through anger mentality. If that sounds good, might I recommend the album “Are these our lives?” By Trial, or “In this defiance” by Strife. Both are shining examples of the genre imo. The first songs on each will give you an adequate idea of what they sound like

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 pm 

pbarb wrote:
Sounds like hardcore punk may be what your looking for. So much of it deals with getting stepped on and picking yourself back up. It’s more of a strength through anger mentality. If that sounds good, might I recommend the album “Are these our lives?” By Trial, or “In this defiance” by Strife. Both are shining examples of the genre imo. The first songs on each will give you an adequate idea of what they sound like

Thanks for the recommendation/description, I knew nothing about this genre. I've listened to both albums, and they've reminded me of some songs from that inspirational/motivational request I've mentioned in the description. Unfortunately, despite the very impressive atmospheric intro/outro/pieces between songs, most of the music and vocals from “Are these our lives?” and “In this defiance” are too fast/aggressive for this request.
As for the anger mentality in general, I'm trying to think about my problems without hate/anger or blaming myself/other people/fate/whatever (it has been and continues to be a very important part of my therapy), so I'm not really looking for this kind of mood/lyrics.
Sorry, it's my bad, I should have mentioned about it in the request description.

c0rvidae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:54 pm 

https://exgenesis.bandcamp.com/releases

https://avainferiofficial.bandcamp.com/album/onyx

https://oranssipazuzu.bandcamp.com/album/v-r-htelij

All three are blissfully moody for different reasons. Hope you enjoy as much as I do!

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

c0rvidae wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations, I love the music and atmosphere on "Aphotic Veil" by Exgenesis (I'd prefer it only with growls / or clean vocals + growls, though) and ''Onyx'' by Ava Inferi (amazing vocals, female singer is a big plus).
Also, there are very beautiful and interesting lyrics on both albums: the lyrical themes are more about spiritual side of things, but the mood fits the request quite well, I like it.

As for Oranssi Pazuzu ( as well as all that "Psychedelic extreme metal" request), it's a bit complicated/'not easy to get into' for me.

c0rvidae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm 

Olika wrote:
c0rvidae wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations, I love the music and atmosphere on "Aphotic Veil" by Exgenesis (I'd prefer it only with growls / or clean vocals + growls, though) and ''Onyx'' by Ava Inferi (amazing vocals, female singer is a big plus).
Also, there are very beautiful and interesting lyrics on both albums: the lyrical themes are more about spiritual side of things, but the mood fits the request quite well, I like it.

As for Oranssi Pazuzu ( as well as all that "Psychedelic extreme metal" request), it's a bit complicated/'not easy to get into' for me.

Oranssi pazuzu's disc is amazing! Each to their own, right? Glad you enjoy the others - oh, and if you want super funereal DM, check out Esoteric's Paragon of Dissonance album. Ya welcome :)

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:58 pm 

c0rvidae wrote:
Glad you enjoy the others - oh, and if you want super funereal DM, check out Esoteric's Paragon of Dissonance album. Ya welcome :)

Thanks for the recommendation, I've tried to get into Esoteric's discography, but without much success. :)
c0rvidae wrote:
Oranssi pazuzu's disc is amazing! Each to their own, right?

Yes, that is so true. I understand that it's all very subjective. [It's just amazing that there are people who listen to music with that specific sound/atmosphere in order to cope with depression]

Thanks to everyone who shared their own experiences, it's very much appreciated.

To be honest, when it comes to such a vulnerable and unstable state, I always prefer "the simpler music/lyrics is = the better" formula. It's hard to imagine that there is something simpler than my current favorite uplifting/soothing/comforting song (it's ''Deep Water'' by Portishead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ke0nJtLk4 -- that ukulele folk music is not dark/gloomy at all, but the vocals are so emotional, actually, that Beth Gibbons' singing is the most important part of the atmosphere, plus the lyrics fit the mood of the request perfectly).

Also, some of the songs by Albireon...
Spoiler: show
''... Albireon is our path through the acoustic poetry of italian songwriters, the energy and strenght of neofolk, the gloomy atmosphere of industrial and ambient landscapes and the timeless heartbreaking melody of traditional emilian music. Albireon is a silent place where we let emerge our inner fears, our subconscious thoughts, our deepest hopes, our nightmares... [...] Albireon is our fragile shield against the frightful shades of the black Sun and our deepest little hope in the soothing daylight.''

... and some of those 'dark electronic' (darkwave, synthpop, and the like) projects.

Perhaps it's too simple, but it works perfectly for me.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:20 pm 

Also if you need music that is heavy and supposed to pull you out of depression then later era Crowbar should work. If the first half of their discography sounds like someone is stuck in depression (well that's actually most of sludge metal), the second half sounds like someone who has been through depression, mourning, anguish, and regret trying to yank you out of that place because they know how horrible it is to wallow in your sadness. And Kirk Windstein's lyrics aren't hokey or patronizing like you would hear of hardcore records like Hatebreed. It feels so honest. It sounds like he's writing from experience, and talking from a place of great pain. Like a big brother telling you to not go deep into the self-hatred.

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:54 pm 

Electric Death wrote:
Also if you need music that is heavy and supposed to pull you out of depression then later era Crowbar should work. If the first half of their discography sounds like someone is stuck in depression (well that's actually most of sludge metal), the second half sounds like someone who has been through depression, mourning, anguish, and regret trying to yank you out of that place because they know how horrible it is to wallow in your sadness. And Kirk Windstein's lyrics aren't hokey or patronizing like you would hear of hardcore records like Hatebreed. It feels so honest. It sounds like he's writing from experience, and talking from a place of great pain. Like a big brother telling you to not go deep into the self-hatred.

Thank you very much for the recommendation+amazing description. I don't know much about sludge metal, and I was not familiar with Crowbar's discography. Their music is heavy, slow/mid-tempo, pretty simple, catchy, and it's perfect. The singing is very emotional but not too aggressive, and I definitely like it.
As for the lyrical themes, it seems like they were/are more about alcohol and drug abuse (and that is not what I'm looking for), but there are also some more neutral/general songs that fit my situation, so I'll check their latest albums in more detail.

I wish there were more songs/albums with positive/uplifting lyrics in doom metal (it's my favorite music for this mood/state), but (unsurprisingly) too few suitable songs were found in this genre.

And yes, honesty/sincerity of lyrics and feeling/knowledge that singers/musicians were inspired by their personal experiences can change an emotional response to a song/album completely. I like this interview with Mick Moss (https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2017 ... imatter-2/), in particular, his thoughts about depression:
Spoiler: show
You discuss a lot of things in the commentary, including the topics of the songs. One topic that I think is very important is mental illness. It’s something many people either struggle with or know someone who does. With such a stigma still remaining with getting treatment for things like depression and anxiety, tell me about your inspiration for these lyrics.
[...]
‘Leaving Eden’ is the Antimatter album that speaks the most about poor mental health, and the music and artwork are inextricably linked, having both come from the same place, albeit from different people.. the music from myself and that artwork from Adrian Owen. There was nothing contrived there. The music and the image were both spewed, exorcist-style, from inside people who were occupying the same internal landscape, that of utter depression, and then paired up with each other in the real world. Its a perfect pairing. The music was written at a time when I was in such a black place, and, as I say in the liner notes, depression has a funny way about it of filtering out all positivity, all light, and you literally feel as though there is nothing but that state, that seemingly endless state.

I want to remind people that there is an end to it, it might be soon, it might not, but there is an end to it. Positivity and light are still there, waiting for you patiently. I came out of my depression, and I have spoken to many people who came out of theirs. Dig in deep, have faith and hold on, and whatever you do, don’t try to take matters into your own hands, because better days are ahead...

Antimatter's music and lyrics are very sad, but listening to their discography always makes me feel better, and it's great.

FuneralDoomed23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:43 pm 

Hi Man,

I have been down this path before myself and I can tell you metal has helped give me the catharsis I need to help me get out of ruts that have happened throughout my life. I actually wrote an article about how Anathema helped me through many dark moments, check out this link here: https://dreamingmetalmuseblog.wordpress ... -anathema/. I consider Anathema to be one of the most important bands in my life without their music I don't think I would be around at all. As for some other recommendations I would look into these bands:

Alcest
Agalloch
Fen
Sylvaine
Neurosis
Aerial Ruin
Empyrium
Bell Witch
Eneferens

I also would look into the folk/neofolk genre there are some great bands that bring peace and clarity to things:

novemthree
In Gowan Ring
Night Profound
Of the Wand and the Moon
Crooked Mouth
Musk Ox

Hope this helps!

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:19 pm 

FuneralDoomed23, thank you very much for the recommendations and thanks for sharing your personal experience, -- that kind of *sensible* self-examination is exactly what I'm trying to do with myself these days. You've done a really impressive work on yourself, and I'm so glad for you. That "lost in my head" state looks so terrible and, unfortunately, so painfully familiar for me. It's great to know that music and lyrics (especially in metal genre) were/are an outlet and source of help/inspiration for someone else who was in a similar state, it's certainly very encouraging and motivating.
I was a fan of Anathema too, and I was even lucky enough to see them live in 2007. Amazing band, I definitely should listen to some of their albums (as well as albums by Agalloch).
Also, I'm a big fan of neofolk music, I got into the genre with Kim Larsen, and his project 'Of the Wand and the Moon' is definitely a long-time favorite. B'eirth is one of my favorite singers/musicians too, his soft vocals and music always have a calming and peaceful effect on me.
I am not familiar with others from the list, but all of the bands/projects look very interesting, I'll listen to them in more detail.

Thanks again for your time and for that link, such an amazing blog you have there! I definitely need to read all those reviews and some of the interviews as well. :)

Reply to topic