Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
emax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:32 pm 

When it comes to bands that are groundbreaking and innovative and have truly phenomenal songwriters, I was wondering what you would consider to be some of the best bands in the following scenes. The following are lists of metal scenes in various parts of the world that I have been following and so I was looking to see if there are any bands that I haven't thought of or known of yet that are able to get you truly excited and hopeful about metal's future. The kind of bands that got you captivated the same way most metal fans did the first time they ever heard Sabbath. Priest, Maiden, Metallica/Megadeth, Slayer etc. So when it comes to genius bands (in terms of technical skills and songwriting) from the following scenes, what are your top picks? And I do realize that for some of these scenes there may not be any bands you can think of that exude greatness the way the early leaders did, so if you can do it for the scenes you can that works fine.

Scandinavian/Irish folk metal scene

Canadian death and thrash metal scenes

New York death/thrash metal scene

European Black Metal - besides Emperor and Darkthrone

California death and thrash (outside Metallica/Slayer/Megadeth/Exodus) metal scene

Scandinavian Death Metal scene

Reply to topic