Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sperma_draconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 pm 

I have all this music but not much anything to pair it with. Black metal is a genre that really lacks a similar conceptual output in other forms of media such as film, graphic arts, literature etc...

So with that in mind I would like to know if anyone out there could reccommend a comic book series that would appeal to the imagery and feel of black metal. Subjects i would like to see would be medieval themes, satanic or dark magic, diabolisism, maybe fantasy, horror, etc... the traditional stuff. It doesnt literally have to be a straight up 'Black metal comic' but something that would right away be recognized as akin to the feel of that genre of music. Anyone out there a real comic book / graphic novel fan that could give me advice?

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:13 am 

Here are some potential options off the top of my head, though it's obviously very subjective

Monocyte

Spoiler: show

Or Slaine for that BM fantasy feeling

Check out the manga artist Junji Ito. I love his art style but haven't actually read any of his comic books though Uzumaki is high on my 'to read' list

This is a graphic novel version of Call of Cthulhu short story with really cool artwork

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:31 am 

French author Gabriel Delmas is what you're looking for; sick, malevolent stuff, openly sexual with a strong decadent feel. I don't know if his publications have been translated.

sperma_draconis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:49 am 

andersbang wrote:
Here are some potential options off the top of my head, though it's obviously very subjective

Monocyte

Or Slaine for that BM fantasy feeling

Check out the manga artist Junji Ito. I love his art style but haven't actually read any of his comic books though Uzumaki is high on my 'to read' list

This is a graphic novel version of Call of Cthulhu short story with really cool artwork

Right thanks for the recs. I only lately have been getting into comics as a way to deal with a debilitating neurological problem that keeps me from being able to get up much. Junji Ito was one of my first finds, his work led me away from just watching a standard horror movie to something that is in some ways better. Ito is fantastic, but his nightmares are too abstract to pair with black metal I think. I guess I was looking for something that gives a feel of Era ! Mortiis kind of fantasy.

Monocyte looks good on a cosmic level ill have to check it out. Slaine is appropriate in many ways. Though personally it leans heavily to the Conan feel of big ugly thugs bashing it out that could be paired with any other kind of metal i guess... especially viking or pagan stuff. Id like something a little more mystical or aloof.

The drawings for the Call of Cthulhu are really nice, but im kind of played out on the cthulhu thing and it looks pretty modern sci-fi horror in feel than fantasy. I think one could argue that Lovecraft is a lot more on the idea of sci-fi than fantasy in his works

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:17 am 

I've only read Slaine's The Horned God-storyline (which is generally well regarded) and it's more weird, or aloof as you say, than straight up Conan-punching-things-like.

The Call of Cthulhu one is straight up a comic novel version of the classic short story, so if you're tired of Cthulhu in general, then I guess it's a hard pass.

You could check out the legendary Heavy Metal magazine from the 70s. Full of weird short stories from a slew of different authors and artist. I don't know the individual issues very much, but you could browse through at random or try to find an overview of themes or stories

https://archive.org/details/heavy-metal ... -downloads

Wolfhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:17 pm 

I recommend Thorgal series and Szninkiel. Both titles of immortal duo Rosinski - Van Hamme and there are few visual (but not only) motives later used in Black Metal underground.

TRADE LIST: viewtopic.php?p=953460#p953460
WANT LIST: viewtopic.php?p=2545473#p2545473

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:24 am 

Thorgal is a great series. Good call. I don't know Szninkiel, but if it's from Van Hamme & Rosinski it can't be bad.

Wolfhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:39 pm 

"Szninkiel" is a title for Polish edition. The original is "Le grand pouvoir du Chninkel". Anyway many original thematical solutions there, vision of genesis, Atlantean-like concept etc.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 pm 

BERSERK

Wolfhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 pm 

PureNegativism wrote:
BERSERK

This manga character has nothing to do with Black Metal aesthetics. Better check "Northlanders" if the true spirit of Viking era is expecting.

Reply to topic