Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 am 

Lately i got more into Goth Music and although a lot of the stuff i'm confronted with is too much on the punk side for me (hence the term postpunk i guess) i discovered among all these Gothic subgenres a genre called Deathrock. Which is to be honest not so much Rock as the name might suggest.

Practically it's very bleak and dark kind of Postpunk with Horror themes (preferable).
But still i found a lot of Bands in that Genre that do not match what i'm looking for (because they are still too happy sounding for my taste)

I welcome synths, drum computer, electro elements, whatsoever. BUT i would love to have some dark haunting keyboards in it. How the voice sounds is not really important to me.
Can you recommend me something that sounds like this?

Here are some examples what i'm looking for:

Youtube: show

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:01 am 

Samhain is a must. One of Danzig's many bands/projects. The further back you go into their small discography, the more punk it gets. I prefer their earlier releases, but everything's top notch. Highly recommended.

She Past Away is more on the darkwave side of things, but highly recommended. Belirdi Gece is especially fantastic, but all three albums are great.

And as a fan of Horror Vacui I can't absolutely see you getting into bands like Broken Spirit, Altar de Fey and Night Sins.

Classic bands like 45 Grave and Christian Death, as well as Bloody Dead & Sexy and Catholic Spit are also well worth checking out, but perhaps not quite what you're looking for.

Edit: And Sixx. Deathrock band by Snake, Goat and Kill of cult black metal band Von. Dark, twisted deathrock. Basically the deathrock version of Von.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am 

YesIam wrote:
Samhain is a must. One of Danzig's many bands/projects. The further back you go into their small discography, the more punk it gets. I prefer their earlier releases, but everything's top notch. Highly recommended.

Kinda cool but not what i'm looking for...thats too much on the hard rock or punk site for me. I'm looking for more dark stuff,

YesIam wrote:
She Past Away is more on the darkwave side of things, but highly recommended. Belirdi Gece is especially fantastic, but all three albums are great.

I already knew She past away, i love them, they are one of my favorites. The perfect dark atmosphere especially on their first album. I'm looking for music that sounds like their song "rituel", But just by style ..this band isn't deathrock, isn't it?

YesIam wrote:
And as a fan of Horror Vacui I can't absolutely see you getting into bands like Broken Spirit, Altar de Fey and Night Sins.

I don't know Broken Spirits and haven't found anything from them on the Internet, can you show me something?
I do know Altar de Fay and Night Sins. Good bands and nice style but i nothing i get hooked on the way like " i need this". It's nice to blast them here and there once a while.

YesIam wrote:
Classic bands like 45 Grave and Christian Death, as well as Bloody Dead & Sexy and Catholic Spit are also well worth checking out, but perhaps not quite what you're looking for.

Yeah, you're right..i know they're very meaningful to the genre but too punky for my taste.
I look for something that has some horror-like keyboards, maybe even a church organ. Maybe just that dark atmosphere of she past away with that bleak dark melodies. Basically what i'm looking for is probably the Funeral Doom Metal version of Deathrock, haha

YesIam wrote:
Edit: And Sixx. Deathrock band by Snake, Goat and Kill of cult black metal band Von. Dark, twisted deathrock. Basically the deathrock version of Von.

Kinda interresting as well.

Btw: Are there any ACTIVE Bands who come up with albums regulary? It seems that genre is almost dead. Even by older bands there often is not more than one or two EPs.

VintermaneOfficial
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:32 pm 

Christian Death is the epitome of this style, imo, it doesn't get much better than this to me. However, since you already listen to Only Theatre of Pain and found it too punky, I'll take the initiative to recommend the follow-up, Catastrophe Ballet. It's a more abstract release, and it is much less punk-oriented, I think. Highly recommended record.

Homepage >>> https://vintermane.neocities.org/
Bandcamp >>> https://vintermane.bandcamp.com/

Diplomate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 pm 

Damballah wrote:
I already knew She past away, i love them, they are one of my favorites. The perfect dark atmosphere especially on their first album. I'm looking for music that sounds like their song "rituel", But just by style ..this band isn't deathrock, isn't it?

I don't know anything about deathrock, but to me it sounds like the opposite to what you describe. But if you want darkwave with dark atmosphere with keyboards, try these bands, in case you don't know them already:

Also, have you heard about Fields of the Nephilim? They are the only gothic rock band I enjoy, because they are way darker than their peers. Probably a band many people who like black and gothic metal could enjoy, since they influenced these genres (especially the second, obviously).

Damballah wrote:
Yeah, you're right..i know they're very meaningful to the genre but too punky for my taste.
I look for something that has some horror-like keyboards, maybe even a church organ. Maybe just that dark atmosphere of she past away with that bleak dark melodies. Basically what i'm looking for is probably the Funeral Doom Metal version of Deathrock, haha

Dude, that screams Dead Can Dance. Do you know them? They are basically a non-metal version of doom and gothic metal. Even Varg liked them.

If you want to look into this non-rock direction, I can advise some more bands.

Reply to topic